Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2004, 06:17 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to prepare?

I will be signing up in Jan. and was wondering if there is anything I could be doing now to prepare for then? Any advice would be appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 06:53 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

yes! I would suggest that you start thinking about any documents you think you will need to prepare. for example, i include a "New Catalog Owner" letter in the catalogs when someone either earns or buys a catalog - just explaining how to use and order from in the future.

I also drafted a Hostess Letter and a New Recruit letter (early to be thinking about, but your upline may have copies that you can borrow for examples).

The most important tool I use though is to help me keep my workshops organized. One side is workshop info and checklist - for example, did I give the hostess the packet? Did I call about 12 days prior? Call about 5 days prior, confirm #? Did I call night before? I also include a list of the guests and anyone who pre-ordered. I list the projects that I am demo'ing as well as the make n' takes. The bottom portion is for post-party checklist items - did I call to confirm order rec'd okay? Did I send a thank you card? And the bottom is for recording workshop total and instant income. The back side is for project planning - supplies used, dimensions of paper, etc.

Stampin' Up!'s website includes samples of many of these, but I found the initial set-up and organization to be very time and thought consuming.

You may also want to think about how best to keep track of your business expenses and mileage. SU! includes forms on their website - but start thinking about how YOU want to organize yourself.

And finally, start thinking about HOW you intend to notify your friends and family about your new venture. I sent out a letter, in a handcrafted card, announcing my plans and asking people to call me if interested in hosting a workshop. I was able to book 2 parties just from this letter.

If you haven't already, be sure all your supplies are labeled. I use address labels that include my name, address, phone #, and email. I put these on the bottom of all my stamp cases, in catalogs, on mini catalogs, on the order forms, etc. When I need more, I usually print off 3 or 4 sheets of 30 labels, and stamp them with a wheel for a little extra pizzazz. Be sure to also initial each individual stamp (especially if you have friends and fellow demo's you are borrowing/loaning from/to).

welcome aboard and good luck!
lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #3  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are lots of things to do:
plan what sets you will buy and how to demo them in the upcoming months

make set samplers for the sets you have that are appropriate (like I would make more spring ones rather than winter if you are signing up in January).

start calling people and trying to get confirmations that they will host parties for you-no actual dates, but at least get a yes from a few interested parties

look through galleries and plan your 1st workshop-I know it sounds funny but think of what you want to show/demo and what supplies you will need for that 1st demo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 07:25 PM   #4  
One TOT Mom

I agree with samples. The things that all of the people I have had a parties love the most is looking through all the samples and cards. That was what I also loved at parties. Looking at a big basket of samples always gave me ideas and made me want to buy more things....esp. when they had ribbon, brads, etc. I would use any stamps you have now to start making cards, boxes, calendars, pens, etc. to show off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 03:32 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks to everyone so far who has answered my question.
I know after Christmas day I will have more time to do the things suggested.
Any more tips?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 04:10 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I didn't prepare very well when I signed up, so I suggest taking everyone's suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:45 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Anymore suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 04:13 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I would go ahead and contact Town & Country and order your business cards and stickers. I would also contact Propay to set up an account if you are going to accept credit cards. Start making your samples and let the word out about becoming a demo. Make lots of little hand stamped goodies to hand out to family, friends, teachers, co-workers, church members etc.. so they can see what it is all about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 09:35 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I am not a demo, I just play one on ..oh sorry it's late just had to share this idea with you:

After I ordered an name/address stamp from my demo a few years ago, my demo said she was going to get one for herself...said she wondered why she hadn't ordered one earlier!

She uses hers on the back of catalogs, etc now
that is one very practical stamp even NON stampers would love
They make great housewarming gifts, gifts for newlyweds, teachers,
boss, relatives, I mean everyone has an address so they NEED an address stamp huh??!!

this is Something you could easily 'sell' at parties by showing off yours....could have some stationery 'sets' using another stamp set with envelopes printed with addresses..

good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 07:07 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 07:32 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandybeach
I am not a demo, I just play one on ..oh sorry it's late just had to share this idea with you:

LOL!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 11:34 AM   #12  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I too am signing up in January and have started some set samplers. I posted 3 that I have done in the last few days in my gallery, go check them out. The rest I will have to work on eventually, just waiting for my demo to call so we can finalize the paperwork
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for your ideas Kar.
Are you excited?
I am.
Can't wait.
Do you have any potential parties yet?
I have a few people interested I just have to pick dates with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 03:18 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I am not a SU representive or demo......just a lady who loves to make cards....but I do have a suggestion. When I first got started in SU, I had no idea really of all the things that you sell. Of course, I knew that you sold stamps, paper, and all of that.....but there are sooooo many products. I think it "might" be a good idea (along with some samples of cards that you have made) to display some of the products like they do at Pampered Chefs parties.......This is just my idea.......for what it is worth. But I think it would give the beginner something to "dream" on and look forward to purchasing in the future.....an example would be, crimper, embossing tool, blender pens, paint pens, chalk and so forth. Put some of your lovely cards on easels to display and showcase along with gift items you have made using the SU products....such as teacher gifts, magnets, etc. Good luck to you launching your new business!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 03:29 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

You also have some legal stuff to look into. You may be required to acquire a special permit/license to do workshops in your house. Contact your local/municipal/county/city authority to find out. You may also need extra insurance coverage if you do workshops in your house as part of your business. Read your existing insurance cover to cover to find out exactly what you have. Don't forget to set up your record keeping "filing system" so when tax-time comes everything is handy.

Those are just off the top of my head. I'll post others if I think of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 03:39 PM   #16  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

oh yes very excited.. my demo dropped off the paperwork for me to get done and then will meet with her next week and give it to her. Just gotta get to town for the MO for the starter kit.... wish I could just write a check out.. lol.. oh well... I don't have any parties lined up right now... I am hoping DH gets a bonus check from his parents this year, not sure if he is going to or not but if he does going to put in a big order and get my cardstock supply up and a few more stamp sets
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 07:33 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I just signed up in December and am having my first workshop on Jan. 15. I am holding my own workshop that I'm calling "Kick-off the New Year." That way I get all the hostess benefits! I just finished typing a letter for my family and friends that I'll attach.

One thing I wish I would have done was work on completing my teaching album and work on my own scrapbook pages so that I'd have more scrapbooking to show them. I'm new to using stamps in my scrapbook, so I don't even have an album started. I signed up for 5 swaps instead. If you don't have many cards to show people, you could try one or two swaps, but be careful how many!

You will also want to get your hostess binders/folders ready. I bought 1 inch binders with a clear pocket on the front. I'm going to stamp "Hostess Party Pack" on the front. Inside I have typed up a 3 page letter that I put in page protectors on how they can prepare for their workshop. I also have a sheet for outside orders, a recruit brochure. In the binder pocket, I put 40 guests in 40 min. flyer from the SU website, a Hostess wish list, a Guest List form, and an inspiration sheet. I'll put a pencil bag with some postcard invitations in case the hostess doesn't want me to send hers out. I think I also want to include a 1 page scrapbook layout and a few cards for her to show her friends (these will stay in the binder, hopefully!)

There's a list from the SU website that has a new recruit checklist, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it.

Good luck!

Carrie
Attached Files
File Type: doc Hello_Friends_and_Family2.doc (34.0 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

ok. I should be getting my # by the end of the week/early next week. I'm planning on an open house the end of Jan. Gonna do 2 make-n-take and maybe a scrapbook page for the guests to do. Have bunch of stuff on display-calender, memo cube (teacher gift,etc) and puzzle(for kids) and of course all the little nick nacks that make scrappin and stampin fun and necessary :lol:
My problem is-what to do for a door prize? I have a couple calenders from past orders, but should I do a goody basket? If I buy the year round fun and break it up into indiv. goody's for folks when they leave that's $1.03/ea. Fairly cheap. Should I buy some nick-nacks, etc and how many prizes should I limit myself to? When I get my starter kit, some things I'll have doubles of-pastels, cleaner, couple ink pads-HELP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

For door prizes you could give away inspiration sheets (one set comes with your kit, but you could order some others.) There is a Booster Kit that you can get that has more catalogs, some extra business forms, Inspiration sheets, and a set of incentive stamps for a really good price.

I'm going to raffle off a calendar or two, some incentive stamps, and a $11.95 stamp set that they can choose. I'm making some calendar bookmarks to put in my goody basket so people can choose from an incentive stamp, bookmark, candy cane heart with a stamped tag, or a set of two or three inspiration sheets. The basket is for people who bring a friend or rsvp before the deadline. I normally wouldn't raffle off so much, but this is my "big debut" so I figure that I'd make it a big deal.

When people arrive, I'm going to have them pick out a number from a basket. Throughout my demonstration I'll pull numbers out for people to receive my sample or just to pull out of my goody basket. For the calendar and stamp set, they'll need to fill out my contact sheet and I'll pick a name out.

Carrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 09:28 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was thinking about the same thing as far as #'s and the goody basket. I want everyone to be "WOW" but still not fork out so much $$ that I get nothing in return :? I guess that goes w/ the business though taking risks!
Since I already have the pastels, I was thinking about using that as a grand prize?? or is that too much?
Reply With Quote Likes