Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How perfect do you need to be?

Although I am new to stamping, I have been making cards in Adobe Illustrator for years. When you work on a computer, everything can be fussed with until it is absolutely perfect. Everything lined up, and exactly where you want it to be. No variation in solidity of an image, unless you want there to be.

Stamping has a whole different feel, which I like. But I think I am driving myself crazy trying to be just as perfect as I can be in Illustrator. And it is not possible.

My question is this: How do you approach the issue of perfection in your work? Do you happily accept the slight variations in stamped images, the slight misaligments, etc., or do you do things over a lot to get them just so? How perfect do you feel you need to be?

Rachel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, my stamping friend calls me a perfectionist! How did you know? I drive myself crazy with alignment, images stamped just right, etc. My ongoing joke is if it's the slightest bit crooked I give it to someone with bad eyes! Lol. Just remember it's handmade, a little off is ok. Sometimes an embellishment helps to hide a small imperfection. Have fun and don't let it bug you too much! (Yeah, I really need to take my own advice)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do alot of cards. I don't try to be "perfect" as I would never get anything created. If it is a special card that someone ordered from me, I take extreme care, but if it a card where I am learning a new technique or a just for fun card, I just go with it and see what happens. Some of the distressed cards I do aren't meant to be perfect I don't think. Just create as you feel comfortable and you you will enjoy it... Have fun!! Get inky!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What a wonderful topic! I think a lot of people struggle with perfectionistic tendencies.

Cardmaking as art? Or, Cardmaking as life?

As I have gotten older, I hope I have become more tolerant with myself, as well as with others, lol.

I'm probably somewhere in the middle. I don't want my cards to look slapdash, with crooked borders, smudged ink, colors out of the lines.

I want them to look like they were made with some care, and be pleasing to look at.

But part of the appeal of anything "handmade" is just that - it is handmade, not machine made. So a few little inconsistencies are okay in my book.

I read Jane Fonda's autobiography and enjoyed it a lot. She said she had suffered all her life from trying to be perfect. She said she finally got to the point where she decided: "Good enough is good enough." And began to enjoy her life much more.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

My husband also calls me a perfectionist. I treat each card like a work of art- I won't call it complete until everything is stamped & lined up exactly how I want it. I've been known to start all over if a panel is crooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

My hubby says I am OCD...I want perfect...but it is after all hand made...I try to make all my cards look good.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm somewhere in the middle, too. If something is OBVIOUSLY askew, I'll fix it - if it's just slightly "off" I may just let it go... Somebody here on SCS has a quote in their signature from Michael J. Fox that fits perfectly. It's something along the lines of: "Excellence I can strive for; perfection is God's business." Amen!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

The reason I started stamping was because it helped me overcome my perfectionism!
The first workshop I went to I "made a mistake" when I stamped an image.
The demo just said "turn it over". How liberating!

As I demo now, I just tell people "this is art..it is meant to be unique"!
I do fix "obvious" misplacements, but generally just tell myself the recipient doesn't know how I intended it to be so they will enjoy it as it is.

Happy Stampin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another perfectionist here!

As a clean-and-simple stamper, I don't have much room to hide mistakes. But it's just paper. Mess it up? Throw it in the recycling bin. I'm good with that, don't beat myself up, don't regret.

I have found over time I mastered the gridded acrylic block for clear stamping alignment and a stamp positioner for rubber stamps. Experience definitely helps with that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Clean and Simple (CAS) definitely has less room for any mistakes, I can start over half a dozen times on a card like that before I'm happy that everything is even, no sumudges, so on.
But most of the time I think that we're producing handmade cards. Sure, I like them to look as good as possible, but perfection, no. I'd rather enjoy myself than stress over perfection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am by nature a perfectionist. However, I make myself be "content" with less than perfect. I am always trying things, so that happens much more than if I just stick to what I know.

However, I am a strong proponent of my definition of perfect (it keeps me from going bonkers)

Quote:

Perfect is not without flaw. Perfect is finished.
If I waited for without flaw, nothing I did would be finished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I go for nearly perfect. I want perfect, but I accept slightly less. I found out a few months ago that my near vision is amazing, so I have started to believe my husband when he says the tiniest flaws are not visible to others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not a perfectionist - my husband and daughter are and that's enough for one family! I'm happy when my cards look good but if something's slightly off, I'm OK with it. Remember "there are no mistakes in stamping, only embellishment opportunities".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Oh, I like that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not a perfectionist. And sometimes it shows!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Smile

Yet another perfectionist here...I LOVE card making and it has been good for me because I have been able to accept small flaws without a re-do. I still wish they were perfect, but I don't stress over it because I seem to be the only one who notices. It would be interesting to know how many of you OCPD's are first-borns......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
Yet another perfectionist here...I LOVE card making and it has been good for me because I have been able to accept small flaws without a re-do. I still wish they were perfect, but I don't stress over it because I seem to be the only one who notices. It would be interesting to know how many of you OCPD's are first-borns......
Interesting question - my husband, daughter and I are all first borns and I'm the only non-perfectionist! - and less stress-free than they are!

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a perfectionist who is far from perfect . . . and I hate it!

I can't seem to get a single layer lined up. Whenever I lay down an embellishment, I realize that I should have put it in another place. I remember, too late, that I should add a brad to the top layer BEFORE gluing it to the base. That last little touch (a stamped sentiment, stickles, glitter, ink shading, etc.) nearly always messes up and ruins the rest of my project.

And it all DRIVES ME NUTS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Do I know what you mean, lol. I started off doing digital then went to stamping. Every time I fussed up a project I kept looking for the undo button. It would either take me two weeks, literally, to make a card. I completely psyched myself out over the stamping project.

I have OCD too. That's just bad, bad, bad for me as an artist. How I got over it? I started making messes. I love messes and then I get to clean them up. I think this is fun. I know some reading this now their eyes are bulging out of their head, lol.

I also read this article in a art magazine several years ago about needlework. One of the New England states was having a showing of American needlework from the Pre-Colonial days to 1940's. The author of the article wrote that Native American women always put in a mistake in their work to show that life is not perfect. I have kept that line in my heart ever since. That is what helped me let go of trying to be perfect. I really enjoy my crafting now but sometimes I still wish there was an undo button.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a perfectionist. As a kid I remember frustration when things weren't perfect. Having children has made me realize not everything can be perfect. Yet one of my sons is also a perfectionist. As said above, that's enough for one family! However, card making has made me realize, art is not perfect! It was a relief to find that out! I love acrylic blocks and the good ol' stamp positioner to get most of my projects in alignment. But I think real art and real artists make mistakes all the time. Ask any artist of any art genre if they make mistakes and every single one will let you know they definitely make mistakes. It's a release and relief to know that's what happens to others, and it's okay if it happens to you too! Perfect cards are gorgeous and amazing. We all attempt to make gorgeous or very eye appealing cards. We do it most of the time! Look at all the cards in the gallery! Some true treasures are in this gallery and even the beginners and non-perfectionists have some great creations! I bet someone in their circle of family and friends has told each of us, what a great job, and what creativity you have! It's great that we strive for perfection, but it's o.k. if something doesn't quite make it. For the most part I bet your creation is pretty darn good!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I try for perfection when it comes to clean image, no smudges, aligned, etc. But I've found that once you get past these items there is no such thing as perfection when it comes to art. Things that bug me on my cards are rarely seen by others. A couple of years ago I stopped trying for perfect and started going for getting it done and I enjoy everything life with pleasure instead of looking for faults.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm with Bugga. I try to keep things fairly well aligned - but I feel that if a card has a small flaw or something is a little slanted (not insanely so) it just adds to the charm of a handmade card.

Great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great topic! I use Adobe Illustrator as well and it's great when you can just click undo when you don't like something. I've had to struggle with my idea of perfection when it comes to my handmade cards. I'm learning to embrace the charm and imperfections of the papercrafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm too independent by nature to try for perfection. Give me rules and I will try to find a way around them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

The other adjustment I had to make when I started doing handmade cards is that once you have done all the hard work in Illustrator you can just print cards off at will. Even if you need to change out the sentiment or adjust something a bit, the card is always minutes from coming off the printer.

I am finding that after I work really hard on a card - I am sometimes just a tiny little bit reluctant to part with it! Once it's gone, it's gone!

RR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
The other adjustment I had to make when I started doing handmade cards is that once you have done all the hard work in Illustrator you can just print cards off at will. Even if you need to change out the sentiment or adjust something a bit, the card is always minutes from coming off the printer.

I am finding that after I work really hard on a card - I am sometimes just a tiny little bit reluctant to part with it! Once it's gone, it's gone!

RR
I can understand that . I have a box of "keeping" cards, but in the end a lot of them end up in the "use" category. At least I always have a photographic record.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

I'm as perfect as i need to be. That single imperfection in a card that does my head in, the recipients NEVER seem to notice! So i've learned to relax....a little! I still want my cards to be perfect, but as the recipients are usually so wowed by the fact that they got a card made by me (I'm notoriously non-crafty), they don't have the same expectations of my work as i do. I love to share my cards here, or with other crafty friends and get lots of positive feedback, but i know that most struggle with what i do, so i'm more relaxed with what i am presenting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Somebody here on SCS has a quote in their signature from Michael J. Fox that fits perfectly. It's something along the lines of: "Excellence I can strive for; perfection is God's business." Amen!
That's the quote in my signature line, and I put it there when I joined SCS so I would think about it every time I sign on. It's so easy to be a perfectionist and then never be truly happy with my creations. I have learned that cards are always a work in progress, and even when I have an idea in mind it doesn't always look that way when I'm finished. If I get a smudge on the card, I just cover it up with an embellishment or another layer. I would rather receive someone's handmade card with slight imperfections than a mass-produced one any day.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

ok saw this and had to comment.. and I will have to go back and read ALL the posts.. just no time to right now..

But, me being a Virgo aka a perfectionist I was at first so picky (seems that I couldnt put the other word so had to adjust it.. too funny )about it and would toss more cards away because it just wasn't right.. then a friend of mine said "there are no mistakes only a window of opportunity for creativity" Or something to that affect.. So since I've adapted to that IF it doesnt meet my "perfect" then I just arrange it so it turns out to it.. lol

I say have fun with it and if a mistake happens then make it work to your benefit..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I am a perfectionist who is far from perfect . . . and I hate it!

I can't seem to get a single layer lined up. Whenever I lay down an embellishment, I realize that I should have put it in another place. I remember, too late, that I should add a brad to the top layer BEFORE gluing it to the base. That last little touch (a stamped sentiment, stickles, glitter, ink shading, etc.) nearly always messes up and ruins the rest of my project.

And it all DRIVES ME NUTS!!!

Oh this is so me!! It's extremely frustrating to have to deal with this. It's like no matter how hard I work my card or project always ends up "missing something" to me...even if others seem to love it! Hoping to try and get over some of this by taking place in challenges this year! Great subject!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #31  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I guess I'm pretty picky when it comes to making my card just right. If I make a mistake on making a card I always try to fix it. If it's a little thing that I think no one will notice and I can't fix it then sometimes I let it go, but if it's a big mistake sometimes I'll start over.

That just happened to me the other day (and I was so mad at myself). My card was finished and as I was cleaning up I dropped my brown ink pad and it fell right onto my card. Of course the ink pad had to fall ink side down on my card...UGH! I had to start all over!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I am a perfectionist, however over the years I come to realise, the essence of something being handmade means it is unique, if it was supposed to be lined up to be exact, coloured to look like photo quality then it would be made by a machine...go to Hallmark. What I do is better then perfection, its handmade, done with love and passion using my gift of creativity and time....its a one off made just for you!

and yes I have to let go sometimes, and be gentle on myself...no one else notices the little "issues".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all so very interesting! I am OCD, and at 64, this has gotten in the way of life for a long time...

Stamping is my one relief from the OCD as my Best Friend taught me, it's OK if it's not perfectly perfect, it is a hand made, one of kind, piece of art from the heart!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Great thread! Count me in as a perfectionist. I am trying to get better and let things go. It is hard! I know I drive my demo crazy sometimes, but she is patient and helpful. If only my kitty would help, not just watch! lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Yes! Great thread! I too am a lot like you guys, it drives me nuts too trying to be as perfect as possible. I told myself that if I can't send the card to me, it's not good enough...lol...so now, I decided that once I've started the card, I'll walk away for a few mins....maybe get myself a cuppa...and lo and behold..the card actually looks good
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
I'm not a perfectionist - my husband and daughter are and that's enough for one family! I'm happy when my cards look good but if something's slightly off, I'm OK with it. Remember "there are no mistakes in stamping, only embellishment opportunities".
My name is RavioliGirl and I am a first-born and I have OCD. The card pictured here has so many things wrong with the front. BUT, several people have told me that the PEOPLE I MAKE MY CARDS FOR do not look at them with as critical an eye as I do! They just think they are great because I took the time to make them and they are "one of a kind."

With that in mind, after I stamped the inside of the card and ended up with two big black smudges...well, those flowers were never intended to be there....but I like how they add to the inside. LOL.

Great thread and love reading the responses.
Attached Thumbnails
How perfect do you need to be?-ocd.jpg   How perfect do you need to be?-ocd2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
It would be interesting to know how many of you OCPD's are first-borns......
Perfectionist but NOT a first-born. Does that throw your theory off? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the middle too. Some variation in the stamped image is okay, as long as there is no fuzziness, and it's just the ink not being juicy enough. Sometimes, I will painstakingly go over the lines with a black pen, just to correct the "greyness".

What I'm fussy about is where I'm taping the layers together. I hate it when I forget my tape gun at makes-and-takes and have to do that tape-only-in-the-corners thing. When I'm taping my layers, the ENTIRE edge of every layer must have tape on it. And if it's popped up, there must be substantial amounts of foam tape under it; no tiny little bits here and there. And brads must go through ALL the layers except the card base. AND the prongs MUST lay COMPLETELY flat, so as not to show any "bump" on the card base. AND all my cards MUST be folded "book style" (versus have the card opening at the bottom) so that if someone displays them on a shelf for years on end it will still be standing. (If I have the card opening at the bottom, it starts to sag over time, even when I make the card with Papertrey's heavy cardstock). Oh yeah, and when I cut layers, there is a "good" side where the cut edge is curling downward. If I stamp and mess up on the "good" side and have to turn it over, I always curl the cut edges downward. I cringe if I am at someone's house and we are all making the same card but someone stamps on the "bad" side and leaves the cut edges curled upwards!! Aghhhh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I also read this article in a art magazine several years ago about needlework. One of the New England states was having a showing of American needlework from the Pre-Colonial days to 1940's. The author of the article wrote that Native American women always put in a mistake in their work to show that life is not perfect. I have kept that line in my heart ever since. That is what helped me let go of trying to be perfect. I really enjoy my crafting now but sometimes I still wish there was an undo button.
LOL I do not have to purposely PUT in a mistake - those make it in all by themselves!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
My name is RavioliGirl and I am a first-born and I have OCD. The card pictured here has so many things wrong with the front. BUT, several people have told me that the PEOPLE I MAKE MY CARDS FOR do not look at them with as critical an eye as I do! They just think they are great because I took the time to make them and they are "one of a kind."

With that in mind, after I stamped the inside of the card and ended up with two big black smudges...well, those flowers were never intended to be there....but I like how they add to the inside. LOL.

Great thread and love reading the responses.
Okay, what is wrong with the front?? Is it the flourish?? It looks like a distressed flourish so that little spot in the middle looks like part of the distressing... Nice save with the flowers on the inside!
Reply With Quote Likes