Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   How many embossing folders is enough? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/how-many-embossing-folders-enough-558900/)

BillieDee 08-06-2012 09:41 AM

How many embossing folders is enough?

So ... Just how many embossing folders is enough?

Love2Craft 08-06-2012 09:56 AM

Can you ever have too many??

Anemone 08-06-2012 10:00 AM

I think it depends on how often you use them, what you use them for and your stamping style. I use mine a fair bit, so I have quite a few - between 25 & 30. I see a lot of embossing folders out there that I like, but having as many as I do, there aren't too many these days that I "need" KWIM? I do have a few on my wishlist - like getting a woodgrain one, but for the most part, I have something that will work. I have a tendency to buy more generic type patterns though, that can be used for anything. Like the d'vine swirl, a swiss dots, a herringbone, a flowery one with small flowers, a flowery one with big flowers, a heart, a star etc. But I have found that the larger my collection has grown, the fewer new releases I think I need.
I do think if you use them often, it is necessary to have a good variety. But I don't think you need them all.

Angelnorth 08-06-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 19601408)
I have found that the larger my collection has grown, the fewer new releases I think I need.

^This!

I also find that some of the earliest folders I bought are the ones I go back to time and time again. Textile Texture for example, probably because the small scale pattern works for so many things.

cat_woman 08-06-2012 10:30 AM

I think enough is when you buy a new one and never use it. I bought a couple a few months ago and they're still in the packages. I keep going back to the ones I already have and like the designs. I think I have around 20 or so including my texture plates. I only use mine for all over texture on my carstock, so I don't buy ones that have designs that are to be used as focal points (like a some of the SU ones).

stampin granny60 08-06-2012 10:40 AM

You can never have to many!!!!!!

debbiemom23cs 08-06-2012 11:22 AM

I thought I had enough and then I got the A4 sized one from Spellbinders. I think its pretty awesome to dry emboss an entire sheet of cardstock! Of course, the hubby doesn't know!!;)

craftykarla 08-06-2012 11:46 AM

I agree with cat_woman, when you don't use them. I have about 38 and like others I have about 10 that I use alot. Once in awhile I go to the others. But I do love the folders. Always looking at the new stuff.
Karla

binkiemonstermom 08-06-2012 12:10 PM

I don't think you can have to many!!!!! I am in love with the new chevron folder from SU. I am sure once I use it on 50+ projects, I will be ready to move on to another one!!!!

cbet 08-06-2012 12:40 PM

I would say at least a few more than I have now . . .

cardmaker2 08-06-2012 01:34 PM

I seem to be in the minority, I don't have very many, maybe 10. I definately need more, lots more! The ones I got earliest on sale I don't like very much. I got them just to get them. I have about 6 I use over and over. But I think I could easily use 20 more... :)

Gizelabella 08-06-2012 01:48 PM

:mrgreen:
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbet (Post 19601710)
I would say at least a few more than I have now . . .

:mrgreen:

I really think we need a "LIKE" Button!!!

I don't have a spellbinder, but have seriously been looking into it!!! I have recently purchased a ton of House Mouse stamps and I'm wondering if they are big enough for a majority of them?...O My!! Thats all I have to say!!!:mrgreen:

dkstampinfool 08-06-2012 01:59 PM

I have 30 and I, too, don't think you can ever have too many! lol! For me, it's kind of like ribbon - I want to have just the right one on hand when I need it. heehee...

mandypandy 08-06-2012 04:03 PM

I think I have about 12 and sometimes I do need a different pattern or texture so I said I would need about 40 to be comfortable! Ha! =)

BroncoFan60 08-06-2012 04:08 PM

I have 38(just counted) and have my eye on a few others. I use mine alot. And i just get giddy when I see some inspiration and have everything on hand to execute. :)

SophieLaFontaine 08-06-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelnorth (Post 19601447)

I also find that some of the earliest folders I bought are the ones I go back to time and time again. Textile Texture for example, probably because the small scale pattern works for so many things.

I agree!! My earliest embossing folders get used the most. I have some generic patterns (circles, stripes), some girl patterns (circle/flowers, dots, swirls), vintage (textile), some boy ones (weird cobblestone-like, anti-slip surface [?]). That's enough. My newest one is Tim Holtz's wooden one, and I think I've only used that one once.

JoBear2 08-06-2012 06:38 PM

I picked 21- 40: I think I have about 30 - and use many of my original ones over and over such as Swiss Dots and Snowflakes. I don't often buy them now because I am finding that they are all starting to look the same!

MSBetsyZ 08-06-2012 06:42 PM

I was looking for the "I'll let you know when I get there" button...

Anemone 08-06-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ (Post 19602567)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...aughing010.gif

basketballmom 08-06-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ (Post 19602567)

You too, eh?
All I know is that there are still some i'd like ... I'm just not quite sure what they are ... yet! :)

Hunterri 08-06-2012 07:42 PM

I think the key is making sure that your friends have different ones, then you can swap and borrow what you don't have!

jennik 08-06-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterri (Post 19602726)
I think the key is making sure that your friends have different ones, then you can swap and borrow what you don't have!

This is what I do!! :) shop with BFF and then we each get a different one!! Cause that's how we roll!

jennik

DianeinSparks 08-06-2012 09:32 PM

I love embossing folders and like several others use the first ones I got more often. But I also have a lot of holiday EF's - hearts, Christmas images, and Halloween. Now I look at all the new ones and a lot are similar to those I already have so I haven't been buying many lately.

lutheran 08-07-2012 03:03 AM

A woman who scraps at the same crops I go to drags around at least 100 folders all neatly organized in boxes. I have maybe 10, a mix of floral, holiday, general, all over patterns, partial patterns. And that's enough for me!
Mary Beth

gingerd 08-07-2012 03:11 AM

I haven't a clue how many is enough! I also haven't counted mine. I started with the smaller ones that will do the front of a card. Now I have begun purchasing the ones that are larger and of course I also have some of the strips and really small squares....:p:p

Allistamps123 08-07-2012 03:30 AM

I thought I had about 10. I just counted them and I have 17. That's about all I need. I'm really not on the look out for new ones.

I will be getting SU's fancy fan....love, love, love that one! I'll use it a lot.

lharnish 08-07-2012 04:01 AM

I picked 76+ because you can never have enough if you can get them on sale cheap enough ;-)

On a serious note, I have around 30, none of which I have paid full price for, and I wait for the popularity of the newer styles to wane a bit before adding more to my collection.

ceramicat1 08-07-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnish (Post 19603160)
I picked 76+ because you can never have enough if you can get them on sale cheap enough ;-)

On a serious note, I have around 30, none of which I have paid full price for, and I wait for the popularity of the newer styles to wane a bit before adding more to my collection.

That's my mantra! I'm not sure how many I have, but I will say I have most of the seasons and situations covered.:)

buggainok 08-07-2012 10:06 AM

I have quite a few, and like some have said, I tend to use the same ones most of the time.

I impulsively got a set of 10 on HSN during a scrapbooking show, and have found some of them I've never used even once since I got them.

My favorites are still the first ones I got, D'Vine Swirls and Swiss Dots.

Unless something totally spectacular shows up, I probably won't buy any more.

sprtchick 08-07-2012 10:21 AM

I figure that I have easily over 500...and I still keep buying...I have 7 of the 3 liter Really useful boxes just about bursting with embossing folders....Many of them have never been used. I need to label a few more boxes and get ready because many more are coming...lol
blessings.

lrzaworski 08-07-2012 01:28 PM

WoW! You are my hero!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 19603824)
I figure that I have easily over 500...and I still keep buying...I have 7 of the 3 liter Really useful boxes just about bursting with embossing folders....Many of them have never been used. I need to label a few more boxes and get ready because many more are coming...lol
blessings.

Gina K. Designs 08-08-2012 05:53 AM

4,583. When you hit that number. Then you have enough. :) I am getting close...

craftymel 08-08-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs (Post 19606041)

:shock: !WOW!

junior tx 08-08-2012 06:10 AM

I love embossing folders. It is an inexpensive way to add something with some POP to any card. I like inexpensive and versatile. I think 40ish will be my stopping point.

Ldumont999 08-08-2012 07:04 AM

I have plenty... but every once and a while I see a new one I really, REALLY want. Then I think, could a folder that I already have (or maybe a stamp I already have) be used in place of the new one? Time after time, I go back to using my basic six or seven folders. I pull out the others for unusual circumstances, but I've been thinking about listing a few on the PIF thread just because it seems silly for them to use up much needed space in my craft room (sigh) :rolleyes:. Does anyone else think about giving some away because they are only used once or twice a year? I use those basic 6 or 7 every single week!

nancystamps 08-08-2012 08:05 AM

However many you have, it's never enough if there's a NEW one that you just HAVE to OWN!

cbet 08-08-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystamps (Post 19606353)
However many you have, it's never enough if there's a NEW one that you just HAVE to OWN!

THIS! And at least half the time, the new one that you MUST possess is available only in a set with 3 others.

craftykarla 08-08-2012 02:04 PM

I agree with craftymel! WOW 4,583 : ) I finally counted I have 38.

lrzaworski 08-08-2012 03:00 PM

I didn't even know there were that many in existence!!!! WoW!!!

Take a pic for us!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs (Post 19606041)

Darlene Kinnear 08-08-2012 03:13 PM

Oh I do not thinks there is ever to many I just love my folders yes some may have not seen paper yet but I am sure they will just like some of my stamps. Never enought toys to play with. Hey the Guys have theres why not us Gals.

jeanstamping2 08-08-2012 04:19 PM

I have 10 of them.. and I forget that I have them. I need to get them out again and use them a little bit more.

AbbysGrammy 08-08-2012 04:55 PM

I have at least 40 and they all are in a basket on my dest ready for action. Oops, bought one more today and already have plans for it.

sprtchick 08-08-2012 08:55 PM

There are so many companies that make them now and I am always running across a company I never heard of.
Blessings

KristaTracy 08-09-2012 04:09 AM

I haven't counted, but I'm sure I have more than 20 -- a mix of patterns and focal points. At $5 apiece, they were an easy splurge at the craft store. Plus they are easy to store.

BillieDee 08-09-2012 05:54 AM

Holy cow! At least I'm not the only one. I was going to say that proves I'm not crazy .... but it really doesn't. Does it?

Bahb 08-09-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999 (Post 19606237)
I have plenty... Does anyone else think about giving some away because they are only used once or twice a year? I use those basic 6 or 7 every single week!

Yes, yes. Six or seven are Keepers. The same can be said about inks, adhesives, stamps, trimmers, markers, embellishments...............or even the spices, knives, spatulas, pans, recipes, towels, pot holders, pitchers, cups in my kitchen.

It's a lifetime of sorting for what works for YOU. I wish I had all the money spent on what I THOUGHT would work but didn't.

We need a library where we can try before we buy. :-)

Bahb

Ldumont999 08-09-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahb (Post 19608353)
Yes, yes. Six or seven are Keepers. The same can be said about inks, adhesives, stamps, trimmers, markers, embellishments...............or even the spices, knives, spatulas, pans, recipes, towels, pot holders, pitchers, cups in my kitchen.

It's a lifetime of sorting for what works for YOU. I wish I had all the money spent on what I THOUGHT would work but didn't.

We need a library where we can try before we buy. :-)

Bahb

OH... I do so like that idea! LOL I've said it before, I wish there were lots more stampers, scrappers, crafters in NJ so I could get together with them and swap out things (or even give away things) that I don't use any more. Just knowing they would go to a "good home" would make me happy. I belong to the PIF thread but shipping things away is killing me.

jukie 08-09-2012 07:47 AM

I have about 30 at present, they are not on my "go to" list of creating a card, but having said that when I do use them I think "hmm must use these more often" :) For now, I am just picking new ones if I see them on sale...and drool over the ones I see on blogs etc.

jukie 08-10-2012 07:41 AM

I had to laugh last night at this thread.

I have not been crafting, lost my mojo etc, and now have a trapped nerve in my neck which is causing excessive pain....any how, last night I went down to my craft room to make a card for a good friend and to see if I could tolerate looking down whilst making it...and on my desk was a Michaels bag, tided tight ....hmmm what could this be? I remembered I had been to Michaels over a month ago with my SIL but could not for the life of me remember what I had picked up but based on the weight of the bag and the size it wasn't much.

I open the bag to find two packages of you guess it embossing folders that were on offer! completely forgot I had purchased them (mind has been focused on pain tolerance and physio) ... quite liked my choices! ;-)

klh54 08-15-2012 02:21 AM

Oh I am waay behind!! I have 11 embossing folders and 1 impression plate. I love seeing all the lovelies in the gallery made with these miraculous things and I'm inspired to buy more. I fear I've developed a "candy store mentality" LOL! But I've pretty much sworn off the older folders in favor of the newer, larger ones.
I love the newer Sizzix because of the deeper impression they give, almost makes the card stock feel like fabric!!