Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   How many embossing folders is enough? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/how-many-embossing-folders-enough-558900/)

BillieDee 08-06-2012 09:41 AM

How many embossing folders is enough?

So ... Just how many embossing folders is enough?

Love2Craft 08-06-2012 09:56 AM

Can you ever have too many??

Anemone 08-06-2012 10:00 AM

I think it depends on how often you use them, what you use them for and your stamping style. I use mine a fair bit, so I have quite a few - between 25 & 30. I see a lot of embossing folders out there that I like, but having as many as I do, there aren't too many these days that I "need" KWIM? I do have a few on my wishlist - like getting a woodgrain one, but for the most part, I have something that will work. I have a tendency to buy more generic type patterns though, that can be used for anything. Like the d'vine swirl, a swiss dots, a herringbone, a flowery one with small flowers, a flowery one with big flowers, a heart, a star etc. But I have found that the larger my collection has grown, the fewer new releases I think I need.
I do think if you use them often, it is necessary to have a good variety. But I don't think you need them all.

Angelnorth 08-06-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 19601408)
I have found that the larger my collection has grown, the fewer new releases I think I need.

^This!

I also find that some of the earliest folders I bought are the ones I go back to time and time again. Textile Texture for example, probably because the small scale pattern works for so many things.

cat_woman 08-06-2012 10:30 AM

I think enough is when you buy a new one and never use it. I bought a couple a few months ago and they're still in the packages. I keep going back to the ones I already have and like the designs. I think I have around 20 or so including my texture plates. I only use mine for all over texture on my carstock, so I don't buy ones that have designs that are to be used as focal points (like a some of the SU ones).

stampin granny60 08-06-2012 10:40 AM

You can never have to many!!!!!!

debbiemom23cs 08-06-2012 11:22 AM

I thought I had enough and then I got the A4 sized one from Spellbinders. I think its pretty awesome to dry emboss an entire sheet of cardstock! Of course, the hubby doesn't know!!;)

craftykarla 08-06-2012 11:46 AM

I agree with cat_woman, when you don't use them. I have about 38 and like others I have about 10 that I use alot. Once in awhile I go to the others. But I do love the folders. Always looking at the new stuff.
Karla

binkiemonstermom 08-06-2012 12:10 PM

I don't think you can have to many!!!!! I am in love with the new chevron folder from SU. I am sure once I use it on 50+ projects, I will be ready to move on to another one!!!!

cbet 08-06-2012 12:40 PM

I would say at least a few more than I have now . . .

cardmaker2 08-06-2012 01:34 PM

I seem to be in the minority, I don't have very many, maybe 10. I definately need more, lots more! The ones I got earliest on sale I don't like very much. I got them just to get them. I have about 6 I use over and over. But I think I could easily use 20 more... :)

Gizelabella 08-06-2012 01:48 PM

:mrgreen:
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbet (Post 19601710)
I would say at least a few more than I have now . . .

:mrgreen:

I really think we need a "LIKE" Button!!!

I don't have a spellbinder, but have seriously been looking into it!!! I have recently purchased a ton of House Mouse stamps and I'm wondering if they are big enough for a majority of them?...O My!! Thats all I have to say!!!:mrgreen:

dkstampinfool 08-06-2012 01:59 PM

I have 30 and I, too, don't think you can ever have too many! lol! For me, it's kind of like ribbon - I want to have just the right one on hand when I need it. heehee...

mandypandy 08-06-2012 04:03 PM

I think I have about 12 and sometimes I do need a different pattern or texture so I said I would need about 40 to be comfortable! Ha! =)

BroncoFan60 08-06-2012 04:08 PM

I have 38(just counted) and have my eye on a few others. I use mine alot. And i just get giddy when I see some inspiration and have everything on hand to execute. :)

SophieLaFontaine 08-06-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelnorth (Post 19601447)

I also find that some of the earliest folders I bought are the ones I go back to time and time again. Textile Texture for example, probably because the small scale pattern works for so many things.

I agree!! My earliest embossing folders get used the most. I have some generic patterns (circles, stripes), some girl patterns (circle/flowers, dots, swirls), vintage (textile), some boy ones (weird cobblestone-like, anti-slip surface [?]). That's enough. My newest one is Tim Holtz's wooden one, and I think I've only used that one once.

JoBear2 08-06-2012 06:38 PM

I picked 21- 40: I think I have about 30 - and use many of my original ones over and over such as Swiss Dots and Snowflakes. I don't often buy them now because I am finding that they are all starting to look the same!

MSBetsyZ 08-06-2012 06:42 PM

I was looking for the "I'll let you know when I get there" button...

Anemone 08-06-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ (Post 19602567)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...aughing010.gif

basketballmom 08-06-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ (Post 19602567)

You too, eh?
All I know is that there are still some i'd like ... I'm just not quite sure what they are ... yet! :)

Hunterri 08-06-2012 07:42 PM

I think the key is making sure that your friends have different ones, then you can swap and borrow what you don't have!

jennik 08-06-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterri (Post 19602726)
I think the key is making sure that your friends have different ones, then you can swap and borrow what you don't have!

This is what I do!! :) shop with BFF and then we each get a different one!! Cause that's how we roll!

jennik

DianeinSparks 08-06-2012 09:32 PM

I love embossing folders and like several others use the first ones I got more often. But I also have a lot of holiday EF's - hearts, Christmas images, and Halloween. Now I look at all the new ones and a lot are similar to those I already have so I haven't been buying many lately.

lutheran 08-07-2012 03:03 AM

A woman who scraps at the same crops I go to drags around at least 100 folders all neatly organized in boxes. I have maybe 10, a mix of floral, holiday, general, all over patterns, partial patterns. And that's enough for me!
Mary Beth

gingerd 08-07-2012 03:11 AM

I haven't a clue how many is enough! I also haven't counted mine. I started with the smaller ones that will do the front of a card. Now I have begun purchasing the ones that are larger and of course I also have some of the strips and really small squares....:p:p

Allistamps123 08-07-2012 03:30 AM

I thought I had about 10. I just counted them and I have 17. That's about all I need. I'm really not on the look out for new ones.

I will be getting SU's fancy fan....love, love, love that one! I'll use it a lot.

lharnish 08-07-2012 04:01 AM

I picked 76+ because you can never have enough if you can get them on sale cheap enough ;-)

On a serious note, I have around 30, none of which I have paid full price for, and I wait for the popularity of the newer styles to wane a bit before adding more to my collection.

ceramicat1 08-07-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnish (Post 19603160)
I picked 76+ because you can never have enough if you can get them on sale cheap enough ;-)

On a serious note, I have around 30, none of which I have paid full price for, and I wait for the popularity of the newer styles to wane a bit before adding more to my collection.

That's my mantra! I'm not sure how many I have, but I will say I have most of the seasons and situations covered.:)

buggainok 08-07-2012 10:06 AM

I have quite a few, and like some have said, I tend to use the same ones most of the time.

I impulsively got a set of 10 on HSN during a scrapbooking show, and have found some of them I've never used even once since I got them.

My favorites are still the first ones I got, D'Vine Swirls and Swiss Dots.

Unless something totally spectacular shows up, I probably won't buy any more.

sprtchick 08-07-2012 10:21 AM

I figure that I have easily over 500...and I still keep buying...I have 7 of the 3 liter Really useful boxes just about bursting with embossing folders....Many of them have never been used. I need to label a few more boxes and get ready because many more are coming...lol
blessings.

lrzaworski 08-07-2012 01:28 PM

WoW! You are my hero!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 19603824)
I figure that I have easily over 500...and I still keep buying...I have 7 of the 3 liter Really useful boxes just about bursting with embossing folders....Many of them have never been used. I need to label a few more boxes and get ready because many more are coming...lol
blessings.

Gina K. Designs 08-08-2012 05:53 AM

4,583. When you hit that number. Then you have enough. :) I am getting close...

craftymel 08-08-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs (Post 19606041)

:shock: !WOW!

junior tx 08-08-2012 06:10 AM

I love embossing folders. It is an inexpensive way to add something with some POP to any card. I like inexpensive and versatile. I think 40ish will be my stopping point.

Ldumont999 08-08-2012 07:04 AM

I have plenty... but every once and a while I see a new one I really, REALLY want. Then I think, could a folder that I already have (or maybe a stamp I already have) be used in place of the new one? Time after time, I go back to using my basic six or seven folders. I pull out the others for unusual circumstances, but I've been thinking about listing a few on the PIF thread just because it seems silly for them to use up much needed space in my craft room (sigh) :rolleyes:. Does anyone else think about giving some away because they are only used once or twice a year? I use those basic 6 or 7 every single week!

nancystamps 08-08-2012 08:05 AM

However many you have, it's never enough if there's a NEW one that you just HAVE to OWN!

cbet 08-08-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystamps (Post 19606353)
However many you have, it's never enough if there's a NEW one that you just HAVE to OWN!

THIS! And at least half the time, the new one that you MUST possess is available only in a set with 3 others.

craftykarla 08-08-2012 02:04 PM

I agree with craftymel! WOW 4,583 : ) I finally counted I have 38.

lrzaworski 08-08-2012 03:00 PM

I didn't even know there were that many in existence!!!! WoW!!!

Take a pic for us!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs (Post 19606041)

Darlene Kinnear 08-08-2012 03:13 PM

Oh I do not thinks there is ever to many I just love my folders yes some may have not seen paper yet but I am sure they will just like some of my stamps. Never enought toys to play with. Hey the Guys have theres why not us Gals.