Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many Coupons does your Micheals let you use?

I was just curious it use to seem that they didn't care at My Micheals, just as long as it was for a non sale item and I had a coupon for each item. Last two times I have had coupons though I have had clerks that swear up and down they can only let me use one. In order to use two last time I had to have the two items rung seperately and write two different checks.

So today I went to Micheals with 3 coupons, my mom's paper was loaded! I did think about going and withdrawing cash incase they wanted each coupon on a seperate transaction, but I didn't have time to go to the bank before I would have to pick my son up from Kindergarten. I wasn't big spending I knew I wanted a new Versa mark pad, Tombo Adhesive Refill, and some Blue Ribbon, with my three coupons. Hey I am being frugal this week and even if I don't have something interesting and a little pricey to buy I hate to see those Micheals coupons go to waste, I actually considered using one of the coupons on a spool of Ribbon that was only a $1, but used it on one that was $3.99.

So I get up to the cashier and I get a cranky old woman, plus I now have a cranky 21 month old crying on me. She looks all confused over the coupons and I have to tell her to just ring the items up seperately then. So she starts and is so slow and when she sees me pull out my check book, she rolls her eyes and says you are going to write all checks? I say yes sorry I didn't have time to go to the bank, and I am thinking whats the big deal it is like having three costomers in a row writing checks and using a coupon. Well the first item goes fine. Then she grabs the $3.99 ribbon and my versa mark rings them scans one coupon and gives me a total. Hello did you use a coupon for both of those, she acts all confused and says yes I scanned the coupon, so around a few times with me asking did it come off both items, finally a manager comes up as I am telling her I would like the one item taken off and rerung with a coupon, because that was one of the items that I had planned to use a coupon on, seeing as the next and last two items I had were $1 only items, duh of course the costomer is going to use the coupons on the most expensive item. Well the manager was very nice helped her take the $3.99 ribbon off explains to her that she can just ring it and manaully put the discount in. After that the clerk looks at the manager and says so we don't need this last coupon? Duh, the manager says yes we need it for the count, put it in the register.

So that is my painfully story, but hey I choked 3 coupons down them, so I am really not complaining and i didn't even loose my patience while waiting. I was just happy to be getting my discount on my measly little purchases!

So how many Coupons and how can you get your Micheals to take?

K
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our Michaels allows only one coupon per customer, per visit. They used to have a coupon at the register that they would ring in if you didn't have one, but the clerks are no longer allowed to do that. You have to have a coupon in hand in order to get the discount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

The Michaels stores in my area will also take JoAnn's coupons, and you can run both coupons through on the same transaction (maximum of one of each type of coupon).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

My Michael's used to be very generous with their coupons. There would always be a huge stack of extra coupons by the door every Sun when there was a coupon in the paper....but not any more. A stack of store ads is still there but it has VOID stamped over the coupon. The cashiers used to let you use more than one coupon (I never tried to use more than 2), but now they won't. I never read the fine print, but the coupon does say "one per person per day" on it. Still makes me mad, though. What is the difference between me using 2 coupons, or the person in line behind me using one? So now I usually shop somewhere else, and they don't even get the 60% from me because I buy it elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 01:04 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Coupons

I live in Maryland.
The coupon definitely says one per customer per day. They used to let us use more than one, but pay separately, as you described.
Now, they definitely enforce one per cust per day.
If I have two, I buy that, plus whatever is on sale, and the coupon doesn't apply. Then I go out to my car, put the bag in the car, and come back in to buy whatever else I want to buy. My Michael's also accepts Joanns and AC Moore coupons. I never try to use more than one now without leaving and coming back. I figure that's their rules, they are giving me a nice coupon, I will live with it.
I am a credit card user, not a check writer. I perfer to write one check at the end of the month. However, I feel guilty to even use my CC for a purchase under $5. Honestly, writing a check for .60 has never crossed my mind. I would have to raid the piggy bank before going to the store, or just not go that day.
Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael's has changed its coupon policy a few times over the past 2 years. I used to work there and we were allowed to give "coupons" to anyone. In fact, we had a spare in the drawer just for that. Anyway, that all changed a little while after I left. Now, according to the CEO of Michael's they are supposed to give you the discount if you ask, coupon or not. There is even a form to fill out. It's nothing big, just your name; reason you don't have a coupon, the cashiers� siggy and a management siggy. It takes all of 2 seconds to do. This form is found on the Michael's intranet so ALL stores are SUPPOSED to do this. Now if they aren't, they aren't following directions from the corporate office. And I would ask to speak to the manager.
Technically, you are only allowed to use one per transaction, and some stores will make you actually leave the store and come back in to use a second coupon (or at least go to the end of the line). I can understand that especially when it's busy.
Now if you don't want to shop at Michael's that's your choice, but not to do so because they aren't giving away coupons, is asking a lot from a retail store. They are in business to make money. The whole idea of a coupon is to bring you in so that you buy more stuff!!
Don't get me wrong, there are reasons I don't work there anymore ;) I don't have any affiliation with the store anymore. Even so, it's only "right" to use the one coupon you get in the mail.
As for the cashier getting upset at the writing of multiple checks, it has to do with perception. True, it makes no difference if you write 3 checks or the 2 people behind you in line each write one. It looks bad for the cashier to have the same person at their register for a long time. I know, it really doesn�t matter, but think of it this way, when you go shopping and there is a long line and only one cashier and they are taking (what seems like) forever, you get anxious and annoyed. We all do. Anyway, there are many different ways to look at the same situation.

Getting down now ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamper
What is the difference between me using 2 coupons, or the person in line behind me using one? So now I usually shop somewhere else, and they don't even get the 60% from me because I buy it elsewhere.
What's the difference? What if that person behind you is using 2 coupons also? If everyone used 2 coupons, they would have to raise prices even more to account for the lost revenue. Michael's is a company, out to make money. It says clearly on their coupon "one coupon per customer, per day." By using 2 or more coupons per day, let alone per transaction, you are not following their rules. Whether they choose to enforce them or not, you are breaking the rules. I don't work for Michael's, but I do get upset when people choose to break rules because they don't see anything wrong with doing it. If your Michael's allowed you to use 2 coupons, that would be different. But everyone that has replied so far has said they only allow 1 coupon. So you are asking them to break their rules. If you really want to use 2 coupons to save that extra $1.60(on a $3.99 item) make a second trip. Michael's doesn't owe us a coupon at all. Maybe this is why they don't have coupons every week anymore.

Sorry if this offends anyone, just my $.02.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I would prefer no coupons at all...

Just my personal bias, but I think that shopping for ANYTHING -- cars, groceries, crafts, airfare, etc, etc, etc, -- would be a whole bunch easier if they just told you a price and then you could decide to buy or not buy. I get the feeling that stores and airlines and car dealers could all just lower the prices by about 20% on everything instead of having different prices every week or coupons or greenpoints.
Maybe my mind gets discumbobulated too easily. Maybe I just hate making decisions. But I really would prefer unchangable prices.

BTW- my Michaels is now strict about the one coupon rule too.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes