Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long will stamping be around?

At a rubber stamp convention overheard a couple of vendors talking about how they don't think stamping will be around in a few years. or at least not in the amount that we have now. they expected some big companies to close up shop. They did mention that they thought some of the home companies like SU and CTMH would be around a lot longer because of the service they supply.

what is everyone's thoughts on this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Who ever knows?
There is certainly a huge demand right now, but yeah, I can see how a lot of it could be a fad and die off.
However, we should also remember that there have been people doing this kind of thing for a LONG time, and now they just have awesome companies to provide them with what they "need" (i.e. fuel the addiction).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Apparently the vendors never heard of SCS!!! LOL

At the rate this site is growing, I cant not imagine stamping slowing down anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #4  
Sassy Shani

A friend of mine on here has been stampin since the 80's. Ummmm...hello..that was when I was sneakin wine coolers, skippin school, and chillin with my buds. So in my opinion....Stampin is here to stay! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Stamping has been around for at least a few thousand years; I think it will still be around for another few decades at least, y'know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I think there will be a slight decline in some products that some companies sell, but I think it will be around. This is a secular type of hobbie kind of. Think of scrapbooking, people have been doing it for years, without a whole lot of items to work with. Now look at it, it is a crazy market and everyone knows about scrapping and the items are almost limitless. Now, also, some of the layouts you see are going more simple, using handwriting, etc., kind of taking it back a little. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 09:01 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Are they nuts?? ;-) I'd venture a bet that the gals on here could single handedly keep Stampin alive! If the way we all attacked the new colors thread (and all we got to go on is a description ) is any indication of our enthusiasm... I'd say we are gonna be stampin for a long time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it's the "bricks & mortar" shops that are suffering but that's only because so many people are happy to shop on-line and through catalogues. I can't see how stamping is on the decline when scrapbooking is on the incline.

Angela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzelgirl8
I think it's the "bricks & mortar" shops that are suffering but that's only because so many people are happy to shop on-line and through catalogues. I can't see how stamping is on the decline when scrapbooking is on the incline.

Angela
i think you are right ots easier to shop on line, more choices. And many of the stores aren't giving you the ideas and help like the demonstrators are doing witht he home companies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe those vendors just didn't have quality products like SU! (snark, snark)

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think crafts go in fads. When I was growing up knitting, needlepoint, crewel work, and macrame were the rage. There are so many rubber stamp companies, inks, papers, tools, die cut machines, etc. that is is inevitable that there will be some consoldations, etc. 2 years ago the Wizard die cut/emboss machine was the hot item. Now, cricut and other computerized die cut machines are the next hot items.

I think the increased production of beautiful papers may pull some busy folks out of stamping and onto using these papers. Personally, I'll stay with stamping until I run out of breath or money, which ever comes first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 12:59 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I think a craft like this will stay around a long time, although the techniques & styles will change & evolve. We'll still be stamping in 10 years, but we'll probably be giggling about the cards we're making now, as they will seem "out of style". Of course, we'll probably be a little more wrinkly & out of style ourselves!

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 03:55 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

If anyone hears for sure that stamping is going the way of macrame, please let me know. I will need to build a bomb shelter and fill it with enough cardstock and refill ink to last until my death.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 04:17 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Loiselle
If anyone hears for sure that stamping is going the way of macrame, please let me know. I will need to build a bomb shelter and fill it with enough cardstock and refill ink to last until my death.
Too funny! I did macrame in high school and college, and tiny little beaded bracelets before that. My needlepoint and counted cross stitch lasted a long time, but stamping has taken over that. There's only so much time to play. I think I have enough CCS projects to last until I'm 80, but I'm not even working on them anymore. I think I need help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 04:21 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I have stamps from Bizarro and Inkadinkado from the late 70s/early 80s. I've been stamping since I was in elementary school, LOL! I remember riding my bike "downtown" to Plankenhorn's Stationery, it was my favorite store, along with Woolworth's.

Other than Michaels and ACMoore, there are NO stamping stores in my area. I was thrilled to find SU and revive my interest in stamping, which had taken a back seat to computerized machine embroidery.

Another parallel is quiliting. I remember my mom going to quilt classes in the early 80s at a friend's basement. That friend is a published author, and I saw her on Simply Quilts a couple of weeks ago. There are beautiful lines of quilting fabrics today, and they've evolved from the traditional designs available in the 70s.

I'm sure we'll all be stamping a good long time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Sometimes I think that stamping gets the "red-headed stepchild of scrapbooking" label. I understand that the OP was not saying it was people in the scrapbooking industry making the comments... this is just my personal opinion. Stamping is becoming more and more recognized by the scrapbooking industry (which in turn has made stamping more visible in publications and more stamps available in scrapbook stores/sites/etc, which then has the effect of becoming available to a wider range of people and increasing its popularity), but it seems to me that some in the craft industry see stamping only as an addition to layouts, etc., and not really as an art/hobby in its own right... KWIM?

My guess would be that some companies would go out of business if/as stamping ever falls out of favor with the scrapbooking companies and as the market becomes oversaturated with stamping companies. Obviously, there are plenty of people who have been stamping for years and years and who will keep the stamping industry alive, even it becomes less popular with the scrapbooking industry or if some companies fall to the wayside.
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hey, I thought I was the redheaded stepchild....

I think it will have ups and downs in popularity, but it's here to stay nonetheless.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 AM   #18  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my first rubber stamp in the 70's so I will give it at least another 30 years, LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 06:14 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I think stamping is here to stay. But I agree that our LSS's probably will be harder and harder to find. We have lost a couple in the Atlanta area in the past few years. People would rather go on-line (which is cheaper) or to conventions, or JoAnn's, H/L or Michaels with a coupon. A friend of my mom's has a stamp store in this tiny town in NC. She says that she is able to stay in business only because of the classes she has versus the products she sells. She says she just can't compete with the inventory that on-line stores have or the conventions. Kind of sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 06:14 AM   #20  
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomto3boys
Hey, I thought I was the redheaded stepchild....
Hey, that's not so bad... I think she just said that YOU are the definition of stamping! That's a good compliment!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

OMG that is too funny!! Yeah I think I could at this point probably just cover my house with a tarp and I would right now HAVE enough to last me until my death, LOL -- I also laugh that you say about macrame because my sister used to do those macrame bags and now she says she just can't get into stamping or hobbies and I keep reminding her about how much she loved to do those!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

My perception is there has been a decline in the number of "bricks and mortar" stamp shops in Florida in the past few years. Several were individuals that opened shops in the mid 90's, and they are ready to retire. It seems the craft shops have several isles of scrapbooking and a small section for stamping now. But so much more is available on line.

I think there will be far more integration of digital images into stamping - which is why I think the industry has turned to embellishments, metals, and micas that simply can't be reproduced on a copier or pushed out of a printer.

I am more discouraged by the decline of sewing as a hobby. I would have never imagined that good fabric would have become so difficult to find. It is far more expensive to sew a garment now than it is to buy one, and a "homemade" dress is a stigma - just the opposite of the artisianship of a hand made card.

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampmouse
At a rubber stamp convention overheard a couple of vendors talking about how they don't think stamping will be around in a few years. or at least not in the amount that we have now. they expected some big companies to close up shop. They did mention that they thought some of the home companies like SU and CTMH would be around a lot longer because of the service they supply.

what is everyone's thoughts on this?
Well there is no way -- there are days I can't even get into my kitchen because I have so much stamp stuff projects around and when my DH protests I remind him that if it were not for this I would be a serious drinker. No kidding!!!! So I for one will be a stamper for life!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 06:54 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninatar
I am more discouraged by the decline of sewing as a hobby. I would have never imagined that good fabric would have become so difficult to find. It is far more expensive to sew a garment now than it is to buy one, and a "homemade" dress is a stigma - just the opposite of the artisianship of a hand made card.
Don't dispair! My other home on the web is www.sewingmamas.com which is an active community of fabric artists!

Now if you want to talk about expense of buying vs. making, I think knitting is the worst. It's darn hard to make a sweater for under $70, but you can regularly buy them for $24.99. I knit a lot of baby gifts, because they require so little yarn, but I very rarely make something for me that's any larger than a purse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I think crafts go in fads. When I was growing up knitting, needlepoint, crewel work, and macrame were the rage. There are so many rubber stamp companies, inks, papers, tools, die cut machines, etc. that is is inevitable that there will be some consoldations,
Such is the nature of any industry. I think stamping will still be around in years to come, but right now it's such a fad. Only the strong will survive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymama
Don't dispair! My other home on the web is www.sewingmamas.com which is an active community of fabric artists!

Now if you want to talk about expense of buying vs. making, I think knitting is the worst. It's darn hard to make a sweater for under $70, but you can regularly buy them for $24.99. I knit a lot of baby gifts, because they require so little yarn, but I very rarely make something for me that's any larger than a purse.
Thanks so much! You are wonderful!

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:15 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymama

No kidding. I've made 10 afghans in the last year as gifts for people (just started knitting last year and was a bit obsessed for a while) and they cost about $40 CAD just in yarn (which isn't much, I know). My dad said I should sell them, and I just said: Are you crazy????? Taking my time at minimum wage ($7/hr), these babies would cost about $200 each. Who is going to pay that?!?
My dad said that his mom used to knit everything because it was cheaper. He also thinks that me making cards is cheaper than buying them. Mmm hmmm. Whatever. Maybe for him, since I give them to him for free to give to people!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:15 AM   #28  
KLF
Kookie Creator

Oh, Phunkymama, thanks for the sewing website tip. I just got back into sewing after many years now that I've retired. Got a new machine (in the words of my sister-in-law, I never bonded with my previous one.) I'll never stop stamping, though. I can't imagine myself actually buying cards!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #29  
cre8nart

I think that like most things there will be peaks and valleys to stamping's popularity. I remember how hot it was just a few years back, and then things sort of cooled off a bit, but now I definitely see a resurgence happening.

I do agree that with all the other comments, that the brick-and-mortar side of the business will probably go bye-bye, or at least the smaller LSS will become harder to find, except for the offerings of the large chains like Michael's, who will continue to stock their shelves based on the volume of sales they get from it.

I believe that trends will change, but ultimately the craft of stamping will survive, although Ninatar has a very valid point, that some people will opt to integrate digital imaging processes into their cards, as they become more savvy with graphics software, much as it is with the ever-growing digiscrapping industry right now. However, IMO, there are too many die-hard stampers out there, and too much versatility to the artform, for it to become extinct any time soon!

Annie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:37 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Canadian prairie girl, lost in all the wind and snow!

I can't imagine it dying down. Just like someone else here said, look at how fast scs is growing. Who knows what will happen. But I know that I won't be stopping anytime soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I think stamping is an art form, not a fad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:54 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

The first time I stamped anything (granted it was awful) was in 1994. I'm still here and a hopefully somewhat better than I was then. I'm going to stick around for awhile!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

For all the money I have put into it I would hope it sticks around quite awhile. lol!

If there are consumers there will be products. Maybe not in the plethora that we see now, but I am sure catalog businesses like SU will be profitting from the lack of availability else where. Currently, I am fairly displeased with rubber stamping supplies that I find in Joann's and Michael's and places like that anyway. I am a more online/catalog person when it comes to stamps and supplies. There will always be art supply stores that will have mediums that are widely used in rubber stamping since printmaking materials are also found in the art supply stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessAmbrosia61
I think stamping is an art form, not a fad.

Wouldn't it be something, to someday see it recognized as such, formally, by the Smithsonian or something? I just really think that would be so cool. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought some of my first WM stamps back in the 80's at a flea market. That is all the lady sold was stamps and inks. I was hooked then and still am. Other crafts I've tried and gotten bored with. Not true with stamping...still have those first stamps and ink pads too. I'm sure hoping I can take them to heaven with me. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Wouldn't it be something, to someday see it recognized as such, formally, by the Smithsonian or something? I just really think that would be so cool. :grin:
That WOULD be cool! ::::::::::Grinnin' back at ya!:::::::::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 10:20 AM   #37  
Watercolor Wizard

not much longer so we must BUY everything right now! I'm off to call my DH and tell him to open the wallet!!!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Julie I second the idea of stamping being recognized as an artform by the Smithsonian. I think stamping will be around for a long time. I was talking with a store owner a week or so ago and she says that the business is rough you have to be working on a store seven days a week and people eventually get tired of that. In addition she said that there weren't really any new trends. Which I kind of agree with some of the stuff I've been seeing has been around forever. It's like she said no one comes in the store asking about what's old they always want to see new new new. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Quote:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG you read my mind!!!! I am cracking up...We all need help!!!! HA!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninatar

Nina

that is so true. I remember my mom made all my clothes as a kid now its cheaper to by them. And quilting wow I would love to get into it but it would be spendy knowing how I am with paper I would go fabric crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes