Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How long does it take you...

How long does it take you to create your cards? I am a type of person who sits down, I already have an idea in my head, and I find a way to create my idea. I am quick and if it takes too long, I will start over and find another way. I hate things with drying times cause I want to see a card made in like 10-20 minutes! So whats your technique?:-D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Default how long...

Sometimes I have been thinking about a card and get right to it, other times I need to look at my goodies to get an idea. Sometimes nothing seems right and it takes forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would have to say I'm pretty pokey! I call stamping my therapeautic recreation, so I just want to enjoy it! If I have to get something done or am under pressure it takes the fun out of it for me. If I'm making a batch of the same card and I do it assembly style, it goes faster. I can rarely do a card in 10-20 minutes! Also have to factor in the interruptions from kids and hubby---have you ever noticed how they seem to want your attention even more when you are doing something or are on the phone? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

It so depends on the day for me. My best friend and I get together to stamp about once a week. Some nights I will sit down and make 3 awesome cards in 1-2 hours (I'm kinda slow) other nights I feel like nothing creative comes out not matter how hard I try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Default very interesting!

it is very interesting to hear everyone's way of creating! today has been very productive for me, i have made a altered bottle for my daughters teacher and about 5 or 6 cards! My stash is growing!!! finally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Depends on if I have an idea or inspiration to work from or if I need to come up with something entirely from scratch. Usually it takes me about 15 - 20 minutes, but I have been known to spend an hour or more on something extra special and with lots of details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my, it takes me a long time to complete a card. I usually let the DP take the lead and pick colors and stamps to go with it. I am a bit of a perfectionist so I would guess if I was coming up with a card from scratch that it would take me 45 min at least. So I am the slow one!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, usually at least and hour, sometimes up to 2 hours or more. Scrapbook pages are a whole longer story, lol. I am so obsessive about details that I can't finish until it is absolutely perfect (in my eyes at least).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm S L O W. My cards take more than an hour. It's hard to say exactly, because I'll move around between projects, stop and look at stuff, or just zone out for a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

It takes me forever. Even the simple ones. I'm very slow. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I can get one done in as little as 8 minutes if I have something specific in mind and know what stamps I'm going to use. Now if I'm trying a new technique or am just doing it to play it can be hours. It really depends on the luxury time I have available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the inspiration comes quickly and I can complete a card in 10 minutes. Other times I move elements and layers around endlessly without really getting anywhere. I tend to have a messy stamping desk with lots of paper scraps and stray elements (stamped images, tags, punchouts, etc.). Many times I find my inspiration there with surprising color combintations.

On average, I'd say I complete a new design in 45-60 minutes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Totally depends on the day! If I'm really inspired, it may take me 30 minutes to make a card. If it's just not coming to me it could take me an hour or so! But then there are days like today! I completed all four of the GinaK challenges for her release party in 2 hours! So you never know, it's different every day
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Even when I'm feeling extremely inspired and the card seems to just *flow* it can take me at least a couple hours. I don't know how so many people can be so creative in 15 minute increments, I wish I could. I love my creativity - I just want it to go faster!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I'm S L O W. My cards take more than an hour. It's hard to say exactly, because I'll move around between projects, stop and look at stuff, or just zone out for a while.
This makes me feel a little better....I looove your stamping style, btw!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #16  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, an hour would be a quick card for me!! I would say - an hour to 3 hours??? But I colour all of my cards, often three d them, agonize over colour choices and the layout etc etc - I am really picky . But - once I have a card I like - I can make several ( if I feel like it .. ) in a lot less time. I guess it is the intial colour choice, designing a layout , the cutting out -sigh- that really takes time. Oh, and colouring. I simply never just stamp an image.

I am just amazed at how many cards some people can create in so little time!! I wish......

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I take a long time, I wish I was quicker but I'm not! But then its a hobby I do it to help me relax, to enjoy to spend with friends (that is what I call my goodies!;) ) and to be creative. I can make a quick card...for those occasions when OH decided to tell me 10 mins before he goes to work that its someones birthday! I would say anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours to even days if I am being particularly slow :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

making cards for me is about ME time. So, even if I have an idea, and can create a card in 15 mins, if I don't have at least an hour to play, I don't do it. Often I'll have the idea in mind but just have to 'play' first, with different stamps, punches etc, usually to end up at that first idea. But for me it's all about playing and relaxing, and having some time just for me, which is very hard with a 3yr old and a 1yr old to cater to too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #19  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd definitely fall into the slow, but methodical, category.

If I don't already have a stamp/set in mind, I go directly to my MS Paint program and 'draw' a sketch to use. I can use that to play around with color and layout. When I'm satisfied with my sketch, I head for the studio, to find the perfect image/sentiment. The 'design' process takes the most time for me... generally up to 15 minutes.. then the stamping/assembly come together pretty quick. From design to photography, I'd say I average an hour per card. If I'm re-creating something I've already done, it goes quickly.. 20 min. or less.

Projects (non-card) are a whole different story... those can take me hours.

Like monkeymama said, it's therapy to me. I am never in a hurry.

Peace!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

You know, it really just depends on if I am sitting down with ideas in my head, or if I sit down and things just come together really quickly! I would say a card takes me as little as 20 minutes to create, and probably as long as, oh at least an hour, maybe 1 hour 30 minutes? I think a good average for me is 45 minutes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:50 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I'm usually limited by the colors of CS I have or have a ton of scraps that I'm trying to use up, so that slows down the process a ton. One thing that has helped me a lot is to create a template book with dimensions and colors that I used. I'm also taking pictures of cards for future reference so I don't have to start from scratch every time. Using the card challenges here also has helped because I had an image in my head of dimensions and such.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts
Smile How long

Interesting question;
My answer would be--sometimes a long time...sometimes not...
Examples: This year I have a self imposed goal of completing all the Card Sketch Challenges--from the first one.
Yesterday I took time to PLAY and worked from 1:30 till 6 pm. In that time I completed 7 challenges with two cards for each one...Colors, embellishments were the same on each pair but I tweaked them a bit from card 1 to card 2.
When I decide to work like that I limit myself to two stamp sets and one box of phrases..It helps keep me productive..Yesterday I worked with my House Mouse stamps and Stars plus a box of assorted non-SU phrases/words.
I allow myself to use any color of card stock as the base and it can come from my STASH but I do my best to use from my SCRAP FILE for the other layers/pieces.
All embellishments are fair game though I tend to use ribbon and brads the most.
Punches are unlimited as are watercolor pencils and markers.
OH--yes--I have completed the first 18 challenges plus 161. Only 142 to go but they will post a new one Wednesday.
This works for me as I usually only have one day each week where I can concentrate on stamping/card making without other obligations.
This is not my only method of working--in the summer I can take as long as I like to make a card but the above method seems to make me more productive.
I also would like to put a plug in for Virtual Stamp Night----I participated in the January one as a firsttimer and talk about a blast--and there you are working against the clock so quick decisions are a must......IT WAS A BLAST AND I plan to participate again in April.
Sorry this is so long but ............

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by falconstamperView Post
I'm usually limited by the colors of CS I have or have a ton of scraps that I'm trying to use up, so that slows down the process a ton. One thing that has helped me a lot is to create a template book with dimensions and colors that I used. I'm also taking pictures of cards for future reference so I don't have to start from scratch every time. Using the card challenges here also has helped because I had an image in my head of dimensions and such.
I love the idea of a template book!!! Usually I will scribble on a piece of scratch paper and then I will usually not know where I put it...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Like other have said, it depends on whether or not I already have a "plan" for a specific card. I made 50 Christmas cards for NEXT Christmas ( 2008 ) in about three hours while at the in-laws this past Christmas. I used the Take A Bough set from Papertrey Ink. (I think I put a scan in my gallery.) Some years it has taken me DAYS to make half as many cards. This year it just went smoothly. I made the first one to see how I liked it and then did the conveyor method to get the rest done. I put the Diamond Glaze on once we got home so that I could spread them out in my stamp room to dry overnight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

It really depends on how I'm feeling. If I've already decided on a sketch to use and the colours well I'm off, but choosing the colours, sketch and embellishments are all part of my enjoyment of card making. When I'm doing multiples of the same idea in different colours then it's much quicker and easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Mine probably take an hour at least. Depends upon if I have an idea going in, how much embellishing and coloring, how many times I get interupted by my kids, etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it takes me too long. I wish I was faster but I am not. My brain doesn't work part of the time and I get stuck. I would say when I put my mind to it I could probably make a card in a half-hour. I stop quite frequently and check out SC. That is most of my inspiration.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

For me it depends on my mood and how much I am wanting to put into it. So it can range from 15 minutes to an hour.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecardpixieView Post
This makes me feel a little better....I looove your stamping style, btw!
Thanks, Christina, very nice of you to say!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

The time it takes to make cards will vary a lot for me. It just depends on the mood I am in and what technique I choose. Most of the time if I get a stash of cards built up for ME...they end up in the next soldier box anyway...sheeesh...someday I will have surplus cards I just know it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #31  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

How about 3-4 hours, depending on the night!!! (mind you, I stamp all night and this is why

First of all it takes FOREVER to clear my space so I can start to stamp!!!!
Then I have to hunt that one special tool that I know I have that isn't where is't supposed to be (theiving stamp elves come and take them on purpose just to drive me crazy)!...
Then I start, look for another set that has just the right little polka dot or some image I just HAVE to have to make it right....

Then I get in a creative frenzy and start placing my pieces around, rearrange them, place them again, decide, glue them down, then rip them off really quick bc I changed my mind and really needed a piece of ribbon around that piece....

Then I have to come up with some other image or sentiment to go on top of the ripped piece of cs that I messed up when I pulled the other piece off.... (hey, "there are no stamping mistakes, only stamping opportunities")

After that, I'm done...no... it needs something.... so then I start to do what the designer Christopher Lowell referred to as taking it "one baby's breath over the line" and adding dots from a signo pen, bling, glitter glue, etc. Why? Because more is more.

Then I have to take at least 4-5 minutes just to stare at my precious gojusness!

Then it's usually 4 am and I have to get at least 2 hours sleep before work.

Feel better about how long you're taking? Glad to help.

Oh yea, then I forget to mail the card and end up either handing it to the person or not mailing it at all!!! It's not easy being me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetiepeasView Post
Sometimes I have been thinking about a card and get right to it, other times I need to look at my goodies to get an idea. Sometimes nothing seems right and it takes forever.
This is probably more like what I do.

And sometimes when I know I need a card for a baby shower or other specific event...I will decide which stamp set I need & then spend a few minutes rearranging stamps to see what I wanna do. I have also started with one thing in mind...and ended up with something totally different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

I'm in the slow category. I usually make a mock-up of what I'm thinking using cheap typing paper or whatever, and then once my idea is semi-solid, I make it real from there. I hate to waste things, so I always do a 'cheapie' mock-up and draw and stamp over and over again on that until I like it. Then, when I think I have it, I do it for real and often times change it up as I'm doing it.

It's a long, slow journey for me, but I wouldn't have it any other way!! ;)

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I thought I took a long time, but reading through the replies it looks like I'm about average (about an hour a card). I have recently gotten really inspired and made cards in 20-30 minutes, however. When I get stuck I look at a library of sketches I've put together in Illustrator (I used to have them on graph paper, but all of the extra lines made it difficult to really seewhat was going on). I look at magazines or older cards that I've done and crate a sketch based on the layouts that I really like. It helps jump-start my creativity when I'm totally stuck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
I also would like to put a plug in for Virtual Stamp Night----I participated in the January one as a firsttimer and talk about a blast--and there you are working against the clock so quick decisions are a must......IT WAS A BLAST AND I plan to participate again in April.
Sorry this is so long but ............
I have to agree, any challenges, and VSN in particular, help keep me a speedy stamper. I'm generally fairly fast anyway, but when you have to set the timer, you don't have time to second-guess yourself!

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #36  

I'm chuckling at this thread...sometimes a design is easy...but other days (most often) I ponder over a card for days...it really bugs me and it just doesnt seem to work...then suddenly I'll wake up in the middle of the night with an idea...then I have to write it down right away or I'm worried I'll forget it by the morning :-) How sad is that?!

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Most of the time my cards take a looooooooooong time because I am too much of a perfectionist and will keep working on it until I am completely happy with it...
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes