Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2009, 12:12 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How high can you stack SU sets??

Hi! I heard that you shouldn't stack too many sets because the weight of them could squash the foam/rubber. I'm trying to work out a new storage system (and have come to the conclusion that i own way to many stamps, LOL!) and i have unlimited upwards space. So my question is how many stamp sets (stampin up brand) could you safely stack? Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In their clam shell cases? I have stacks of 12 with no problems. Have them stacked by the size of the shells. Shelving unit prevents taller stacks, but that's OK. They get pretty toddly at 12 and a bit of a pain when you need one near the bottom of the stack. Have had it that way for years and no damage. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 04:17 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
They get pretty toddly at 12 and a bit of a pain when you need one near the bottom of the stack.
I had my SU clamshells stacked onto a bookcase and found the same issue -- the stack would topple when I tried to get to a set on the bottom. So I turned them on their sides and put them on the shelves like books so I can just slide out whatever set I need. If you have a bookcase with pins on the sides to hold the shelves, you can have extra shelves cut at Lowe's or HD for next to nothing. I had three shelves cut from the "cull lumber" bin for $3.50 (50 cents each for the wood and $1 each for the cuts). I positioned the shelves just wide enough for each size box.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 04:25 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I don't really know how high you can stack them. I just know that that is EXACTLY the reason I UNmounted every SU! set that I own!

I don't care about resale value. I'm too lazy to do all the planning and work associated with that. All I cared about was being able to FIND and USE my sets! With over 200 sets, stashed all around the house, in boxes, bookcases, closets, etc., it was a disaster! Not too mention depressing when I could not find what I wanted and gave up searching. The end result was that I wasn't doing any stamping. I felt defeated before I even began because sets were impossible to find!

Good luck finding a "stacking system!" Someone is bound to have a really good idea here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 04:29 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not use that vertical space to put in track shelving and store them like books on a shelf? Track shelving is affordable and goes up pretty easily. No worries with smooshing foam then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 04:34 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't heard anything about not stacking them too high because of the foam. Mine are in boxes stacked on a small shelf that has one shelf taken out. It only have three columns of stamp sets on the bottom shelf and I have them 14 sets high. It works fine because they are tight, they don't topple over because of the next column of stamp sets. Then on the top shelf I have my smaller sets stacked about five high. Soon I may have to turn them on their sides. I have about 75 sets. A few larger sets are on another shelf but that's only about 5 sets. So I have about 70 sets on this small shelf and it works great. I could have three times the sets and have two more small shelves and they really wouldn't take up much space at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just an FYI, When I turned my sets on their sides, the stamps started to slide down the wood mounts and now there's a glue ring next to the foam on the top side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
In their clam shell cases? I have stacks of 12 with no problems. Have them stacked by the size of the shells. Shelving unit prevents taller stacks, but that's OK. They get pretty toddly at 12 and a bit of a pain when you need one near the bottom of the stack. Have had it that way for years and no damage. HTH
That's pretty much my response as well. But usually the next stack over helps hold up the teetering stack I am fooling with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Thank you all so much! That's exactly what i needed to know. :mrgreen::mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
Just an FYI, When I turned my sets on their sides, the stamps started to slide down the wood mounts and now there's a glue ring next to the foam on the top side.
I've heard of this happening in the heat, but what about with an even temp? Is your house air conditioned?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #11  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Sorry that was your experience. My stamp set cases are stored like books in a basement in the Northeast where the thermostat is set to 55-degrees Fahrenheit for at least 16 hours each day in winter and can reach 80 degrees in summer and each and every stamp is firmly mounted (some sets are from 2001 or ealrier and many are newer!)

Just wanted to give another viewpoint in case storing this way is the best option for the OP.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Depends on if you have earthquakes or not!! All my stacks of about 10 turned my cupboard into a mess a few weeks ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

I think the problem with stacking stamps is if you are stacking the STAMPS on top of each other - not stamp sets in clamshell boxes. I store my SU stamps in crates from Staples (and I stack the crates 3 high). Each crate, the open side facing out, can hold 2 stacks side-by-side of 11 stamp sets high, and then I can fit a couple sideways in between the 2 stacks. I store my retired sets in bookcases, and they hold stacks of 12 high. No problems! I have LOTS of SU stamp sets - hundreds and hundreds (no, I won't count them!).
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
My stamp set cases are stored like books in a basement in the Northeast . . .
Same for me and I haven't had any problems . . . our basement stays at a pretty even temperature of about 60 degrees all year long except in the coldest of the winter when I might have to kick the up from 55 degrees to 60 degrees. Everything is stuck where it should be.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with the others about maybe adding lots of shelving to use up your verticle space...some cheap shelf brackets and plain pine 1x8's can go a long way for little $$!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
I don't really know how high you can stack them. I just know that that is EXACTLY the reason I UNmounted every SU! set that I own!

I don't care about resale value. I'm too lazy to do all the planning and work associated with that. All I cared about was being able to FIND and USE my sets! With over 200 sets, stashed all around the house, in boxes, bookcases, closets, etc., it was a disaster! Not too mention depressing when I could not find what I wanted and gave up searching. The end result was that I wasn't doing any stamping. I felt defeated before I even began because sets were impossible to find!

Good luck finding a "stacking system!" Someone is bound to have a really good idea here!

Kitty, Do you have a picture of yours? I'd be interested in seeing how much less room they take as I am considering doing this too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have also never had a problem storing them sideways like books. I store my sets in sterilite containers on my shelving. Each container holds 9 sets. Here is a photo:
http://thescrapmaster.blogspot.com/2...p-storage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
I had my SU clamshells stacked onto a bookcase and found the same issue -- the stack would topple when I tried to get to a set on the bottom. So I turned them on their sides and put them on the shelves like books so I can just slide out whatever set I need. If you have a bookcase with pins on the sides to hold the shelves, you can have extra shelves cut at Lowe's or HD for next to nothing. I had three shelves cut from the "cull lumber" bin for $3.50 (50 cents each for the wood and $1 each for the cuts). I positioned the shelves just wide enough for each size box.
That's a great idea! I never thought of having extra shelves made.
I store mine like books as well. I use a cd rack (well, okay, 3 cd racks) that I got at Linens and Things. They are good for the medium sized cases, but are not tall enough for the big cases, and space is wasted with the tiny cases. Here is a link to a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
How high can you stack SU sets??-p1060689.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 249 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
I agree with the others about maybe adding lots of shelving to use up your verticle space...some cheap shelf brackets and plain pine 1x8's can go a long way for little $$!
This is pretty much what I chose ... after trying the "How High is Too High" stacking method first. I was constantly needing to "rescue" toppling sets while trying to secure something from the bottom. ugh.

More shelves ... easy reach ... smiling stamper on her way to stamp! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Ooohh, I can so see this as a contest at convention or something---a prize to the person who can stack them the highest!
Like the Oreo stacking contest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I was going to make this same comment. when the weather turns warm the stamps will slide.

I have mine stacked 12 to 14 high. I'm reluctant to unmount cuz I love wood mounted stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
I was going to make this same comment. when the weather turns warm the stamps will slide.

I have mine stacked 12 to 14 high. I'm reluctant to unmount cuz I love wood mounted stamps.

mine too are stacked about 12 to 14 high .. I haven't noticed any problems with them and I've had some of the sets for about 8 years
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are only stacked 9 high (shelf limitations), so they don't generally topple over when I'm getting something down.

I hadn't considered the "stamps sliding off the wood" option when they are stacked sideways. It's finally turned into summer, and I refuse to turn on the A/C until it's stinky hot outside (drives my DH nuts!), so I can see this being a problem.

Heck - if it only takes 8 seconds in a microwave to peel the rubber off a stamp, imagine what 90 degree heat would do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

My question is how do you mount clear stamp on wood blocks do you use glue? I have a set I want to mount because I can not find clear blocks big enough...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

I also store my stamps on their sides in the clam shell containers they come in. I bought a free standing storage/utility cupboard at the local Canadian Tire. My stacks are 3 high and with the information on the end of the packages. I have no problem finding the stamp set I need or sliding it out for use. I can verify that some stamps do get smushed especially anything with words or sentiments. Been there ..done that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

I keep all of my stamps, in SU clamshell boxes, on their sides in rolling carts. I have 1 to the right of my desk, and 2 of them behind my desk, and come to think of it they are right in front of the heater/air conditioning vent. :confused: They have been there for over a year,
and I haven't had any problems with the rubber sliding off of the wood.
I would like a new way to store them, but for right now this is the space that I have to use. Some day I'll have my "dream room."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

My hubby bought me some craftsman units for my studio at a local furniture store. The one unit is a 3 drawer unit and that is where I store my stamps. On their sides and I put labels on top of the clam shell cases for easy reading. I never thought about the heat and sliding stamps. Couldn't you just use crystal effects to re-attach them? I thought I read that here at SCS somewhere....???? I have quite a few sets and that it has helped me store lots....
Reply With Quote Likes