Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you mount word stamps straight?

Help! I've got SU's Versatile Verses. I mounted one of the stamps to use today, but when I stamped it, the verse was crooked. I tried to remount it and it's still slightly crooked. Is there a tip or trick to mount these verse type stamps straight?

Thanks so much! Denise
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've always eyeballed it, using the edge of the wood block as a visual guide. Works for me. Don't know what to tell you! :(

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I always want my words to be dead-on perfect when I'm stamping a card... but it doesn't matter HOW I mounted my stamps.

Here's why: when I get sets with words or others that I know I'll need to have lined up correctly, I automatically make stamp-a-ma-jig sheets with permanent ink for each stamp in the set... and then leave the sheets in the case with the stamps. PERFECT alignment every single time.
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2006, 03:21 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
I've always eyeballed it, using the edge of the wood block as a visual guide. :(
I tried eyeballing it, but I think my eyeballs are in crooked! I couldn't get it straight at all! ;)

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2006, 03:22 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingSpud
I always want my words to be dead-on perfect when I'm stamping a card... but it doesn't matter HOW I mounted my stamps.

Here's why: when I get sets with words or others that I know I'll need to have lined up correctly, I automatically make stamp-a-ma-jig sheets with permanent ink for each stamp in the set... and then leave the sheets in the case with the stamps. PERFECT alignment every single time.
That's what I was going to say! (Except I have not done the sheets for the entire set yet).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2006, 03:26 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I automatically make stamp-a-ma-jig sheets with permanent ink for each stamp in the set... and then leave the sheets in the case with the stamps. PERFECT alignment every single time.
I got the Stamp-a-ma-jig just before Thanksgiving, but have been sick so much since then that I forgot about it. I needed a couple of cards for gifts yesterday, so stamped away by eyeball, forgetting the Stamp-a-ma-jig. I better get it out and try it. I didn't know about making permanent guide sheets though.

Can you tell I'm a very beginning stamper? :smile:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2006, 03:53 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Do you have a bunch of the sheets from SU or do you use something else? Do you use Stazon?

Just starting using my Jig the other day, love it but I am wondering about having all those sheets at the ready.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2006, 04:11 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile keeping works aligned

I use a clear block and use double sided take to temporaily mount it to the clear block. This way I can see through the block and know exactly where it is going. Perfect everytime!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I put the rubber on the block & then use the sticker to make sure that it's lined up. (I'll lay the sticker over the rubber & that works for me).

Jacque
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Get a stamp positioner (stamp-a-mag-jig) I use mine all the time especially on word stamps. It takes an extra moment but you can line up your image/words perfectly;-)

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

The other t hing you can try is measure down from the top edge and make a light pencil mark on either side at a certain point. When you're laying the rubber down on the block, line up one of the lines of type so that both sides are lined up with the pencil marks. I know, this sounds confusing...it's perfectly clear in my mind though!

I also use my grid paper when I mount stamps. Right after I put the rubber on I ink up the stamp and stamp on the grid paper. It helps me see if it's straight or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I've got the rest of the stamps to mount, I'm going to try the pencil mark. I had already been wondering if I should mark a fine line across the block and line the stamp up that way.

I've got the stamp-a-ma-jig and used it to check and see if the 1st stamp was straight. I 'think' it's right. I may need to find the graph paper and do a test stamp. ........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapmo
Do you have a bunch of the sheets from SU or do you use something else? Do you use Stazon?
I got a bunch of extra Stamp-a-majig sheets. I find that I can use one sheet for each four stamps in a set -- one stamp in each corner. There are other materials you can use with your Stamp-a-majig, too, like transparency sheets.

I have used Stazon for the sheets, and the chalk inks work well, too. I use a medium-tone color because light colors are too difficult to see in some circumstances and a dark color might obscure something else I want to use to measure against.

Hope this helps!
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 04:32 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I was a little confused on this when I read the post the first time, but now after mounting 11 stamp sets, I realize what I do to get them mounted straight. My mom taught me when I am mounting, after I cut out the stamp, lightly set it on the wood block, eyeballing it, then take the sticker off the sheet, turn it over, so that the sticky side is up, and lay it on your stamped imagine, use the words "Stampin' UP 2006" as your guideline to get your stamps straight, I keep moving the stamps around till they are straight on the wood, then I put the sticker on the front of the block. I do get finger prints on the sticky part of the sheet, but they don't show up when they are put on the front of the block. Hope this is clear as mud. Once my mom showed it to me the first time I was like..DUH! that makes so much sense! The words stampin up are always straight, so it is easy to get the stamps lined up then. Let me know if you need more info on this.
Reply With Quote Likes