Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: How do you feel about going unmounted?
Can stand the thought of taking my stamps apart- won't do it 131 37.75%
Did it & hate it. 5 1.44%
Am seriously thinking about it. 58 16.71%
Did it, love it & kept the blocks. 45 12.97%
Did it, love it & got rid of the blocks. 81 23.34%
Other...please explain 27 7.78%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you feel about going unmounted?

Just wondering how you feel about going unmounted. It seemsso popular lately.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, it really isn't a new concept, just one that you hear about more, lol.

I know for myself, I had and used tons of um's years ago. I seldom mounted my SU sets when I purchased them. And back then, it was rare to find a um stamp selling for any more than 1/2 the price of wood mounted. So, right there the cost-saving was a large incentive, lol!

Thing is, for lazy folks like me, we tend to grab and use the most convenient ones. I wound up using the wood mounted ones simply because it was easier. Then after becoming an SU demo, well, it seemed as if I had to use all mounted for demo purposes.

I think anymore that I would need to do an all or nothing approach...all um most likely. I am considering doing that to all but the current SU stamps, but that is a monumental task, lol! Let's not forget how lazy I can be!

You need a category for "I just think about it."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

[quote=MSBetsyZ;9640704]. I am considering doing that to all but the current SU stamps, but that is a monumental task, lol! quote]

I know what you mean! I have over 100+ sets that would need to be unmounted if I decide to go for it. That seems like it would take FOREVER & a lot of ez mount. I think I need to think it over more. But I sure could use all the space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I'm with Betsy . . . I'm one of those lazy stampers who just likes being able to grab a wood-mounted stamp and use it. It's what I'm most comfortable with. The thought of unmounting all of my wood-mounted stamps is enough to send me into a panic . . . I own over 400 SU sets. I can't even begin to imagine how much time/work/effort that would take. I won't say I'll never do it 'cause who knows, maybe I will someday. Right now though, space is not an issue so it's not something I think about. I also notice that I don't use the unmounted stamps I do own and I own hundreds of those. What's a stamper to do??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I started putting my UM on EZ mount to see what I thought about going the unmounted route. I don't like it. I won't be unmounting my wood mounted and once we get settled for good all those unmounted ones will be finding wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I have done some of mine and will be doing more. I like the space that I have gotten by unmounting. I miss being able to "grab and go". I like being able to be more precise in my placement of 2 step stamping. If I wouldn't have needed the space I probably wouldn't have unmounted but don't regret doing it. I guess I am most upset because the stamp itself has lost the SU! feel to it.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #7  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 373 Likes on 231 Posts

I am a newbie stamper - and I just recently unmounted - so far I LOVE IT! haven't gotten rid of the blocks yet - but I do plan to, or find a way to reuse some in some way - also will let the ds play with them ;)
I decided to go unmouted
1. because I had a couple stamps already that came unmounted and some Inque Boutique which are unmounted as well, and like those just as much as the mounted
2. with a small collection, no time like the present!
3. look forward to buying unmounted in the future and like to be consistent
4. space saver biG TiME!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing mine right now. I have kept some of the blocks but will eventually throw them all away. Some are on EZ Mount some I have used TIO&O because it is a whole lot cheaper. I have a lot of CD cases but I am almost done.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I went UM and I love it ! I went to a scrapbooking/card making weekend and I took about 40 stamp sets with me. Took up 1 small Rubbermaid container instead of 2 bigger ones !
I have a hot knife for cutting the EZMount (tutorial on my blog if you're interested) and that made the process so fast ! No more gummed up scissors either.
I also like that it's much easier to know where my stamp is stamping because I can see better, no more wood block blocking my view.
Not sure what I'll do with my wood blocks yet, maybe sell them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't gone UM yet and probably won't. Space is not an issue. I rarely take my stamps anywhere (except when we travel between NC and FL every six months). I've purchased a few sets of clear and use them periodically, but still like the feel of the wood.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't own too many mounted stamps. I'm thinking about unmounting the ones that I have, but I'm a little torn. Most of my mounted sets are House Mouse and I like to use the picture on the handle as a guide when I'm coloring it in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I recently unmounted all of my SU wheels. I purchased a 2" x 8" gridded acrylic block and some Aleene's Tack It Over & Over, both of which were inexpensive. I have a lot of really great wheels but I hate rolling them and haven't used them much. The image is usually either crooked or unevenly inked and it drives me nuts.

I'm really glad I did this with my wheels but I don't plan to unmount any of my SU sets because I like them as they are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I chose "did it hate it". I did unmount several sets and although I didn't mind stamping with them and do like stamping with my clear sets, I found that I never used the ones that I had unmounted. So I mounted them back on the blocks and I'm happy with them. If you do it, definitely do only a few and test it out first. And save your blocks just in case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did it...Loved it! I am so happy with my choice to go unmounted. Everyone will be different so save your blocks. Truth be told, after I had my first few sets unmounted (I started with the ones I love the most) and found that this was a system (stamping and storage) that would work for me, I tossed out the wood blocks (I know...very eco-unfriendly). With my new stamps, I have held on to the blocks because I have friends who prefer to mount their stamps and so I just give them the new wood blocks.

I love the ability I have to transport them...it is so easy to take a box of supplies and stamps and go to a friends house to stamps.

I love the easy of storage! the decrease in space has really freed up my area. I also love that I can have multiple stamp sets on my desk and it not be overly cluttered...I tend to shut down in clutter.

anyhow, this is just my opinion! pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it, I love it, and I plan to reap the true benefits of unmounting very soon. My DH is in the UK on business, and the girls and I will be joining him for the summer. I have been thinking about how much stamping stuff I can take with me, and the answer is LOTS! Four families of Stampin' Spots, a black pad, a stack of cardstock, and a nice sized pile of stamp sets in CD cases with a handful of acrylic blocks. The stamp sets are compact enough that I'll be able to afford the space for a decent supply of accessories and tools, too. If I had to take all of the wood blocks, I'd go over my weight allowance for sure.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I did a few sets with Tack It Over and its rubber rubber.. that is taking me some getting used to (any suggestions on that PM me pls about how you use the stamps with no foam and get the clear image) Today I did some sets with the CHF Cling foam.. omg what a process because I also stamped on the cling side to see the image.. anyone else do that? and if so how did you keep from getting MESSY!!!?????????

I am happy thus far with the stamps I have purchased unmounted or mounted on EZ Mount. I like the storage convience. This is the main reason I want to unmount
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #17  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I voted other. I like both wood mounted and unmounted. However, I am currently in the process of unmounting everything for space reasons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by franb63View Post
I did a few sets with Tack It Over and its rubber rubber.. that is taking me some getting used to (any suggestions on that PM me pls about how you use the stamps with no foam and get the clear image) Today I did some sets with the CHF Cling foam.. omg what a process because I also stamped on the cling side to see the image.. anyone else do that? and if so how did you keep from getting MESSY!!!?????????

I am happy thus far with the stamps I have purchased unmounted or mounted on EZ Mount. I like the storage convience. This is the main reason I want to unmount

I used the cling foam but didn't stamp on it, I only stamped on the back of the CD case, so I can remember when each stamp goes back to. I figured I don't need to see the image as I am stamping it. It is trimmed so closely that I have a clear idea of what is going where.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Other............

I mostly have UMs due to availability, costs, shipping costs �nd images that aren't available as mounted stamps.
I love using UMs.
But: I won't take apart any of my mounted stamps. It just doesn't make sense for me as I only have a few mounted ones so storage isn't an issue here.

When buying stamps I hardly ever think about them being mounted/unmounted. I mainly look at the image.

Vronica;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Default Other....

I have purchased all the supplies I need to unmount my retired SU stamps and and will do so when I have the time. I just don't have any space left to store all these stamps. I have used UM's before and I like it so I am not leary of unmounting them and not liking it.
Tonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I'm in the very long process of unmounting my 10+ years of SU stamps. I have a ton of sets. I'm going through many sheets of ez-mount! I thought about doing this for along time. I finally decided... if I want to keep purchasing without selling any old sets I'd have to go for it, and unmount. Not that I don't like unmounteds because I do, but I was nervous about changing the SU sets from the way they come (or are meant to be). Anyway, I am completely happy that I'm doing this! The storage factor alone, is good enough reason. Although, I do love being able to see where the stamp is through the acrylic block too. My only issue is that I can't decide what to do with the old wood with the stickers on them. I don't think it's worth the time to remove the sticker, clean and sand the wood. But I definitely don't want to keep the wood in the cases boxed up because then that defeats the purpose of unmounting. As for the sets I had not mounted yet, this wood is either good to sell or to keep for children to play with. I just dumped them into large boxes, and kept the plastic boxes.

So if anyone here can help me with the decision on what to do with the old stickered blocks please let me know. I have about 4 or 5 large boxes filled with them in my garage adding to the clutter!

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

I unmounted all of mine and love it. Thankfully, I just started purchasing SU!, so I didn't own many before I started. I got my storage idea from a fellow SCSer and you can read about it here:

How I store unmounted rubber stamps by erinbh at Splitcoaststampers

Remember you could still use the stamps with blocks. Paint the blocks with several coats of polyeruthane and the EZ mount will stick to them. You could keep probably 20 blocks and all the stamps would fit on one of them. So, you would still be able to get the feeling of stamping with wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #23  
down and digi

I unmounted and my only problem is figuring out which stamp is which. I didn't realize how much I relied on the sticker. So, I love the space I have reclaimed, but I don't use them much anymore because it's hard to figure out what I stamp I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

I did not get into rubber stamps until they started being offered unmounted. I prefer clear and unmounted rubber because I just do not have the space to use wood mounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I don't think that I would ever unmount my stamps. Which is not to say that I don't like um's. I do like um on clear blocks but just don't want to go to the trouble of taking so many off the wood. If SU went um, I would want them to stay rubber and not acrylic, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I like both....of course buying um's now when I have a choice.
I won't unmount my wood. Either too lazy or/and have the space, because I'm buying less wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Although I do have a few unmounted stamps which I do use, I really do prefer my wood mounted stamps and have no plans to unmount them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How do I feel about going unmounted? Well I've been there and done it! With only one Stamp set.

But I still can't bear to unmount my Stampin' Up! stamps or my House Mouse, Penny Black or the other wood mounted Stamps I have.

I purchased them this way. And I'm going to keep them this way.

I buy both Wood Mounted and Unmounted Rubber Stamps and Clear Stamps.

Of course I don't have as many Wood mounted Stamps as I use to. I do however have a ton of Unmounted Rubber & Clear Stamps.

Which I love to use as much as I do the wood mounted stamps.

I quess I look at it this way. I have already paid for the wood mounted stamps.

And I can't see spending extra money to unmount them! Having to purchase Ez-mount foam, Cling, or whatever you use on your stamps after you have unmounted them.

Everyone is intitled to do what they wish to with their stamps.

I'm just happy with mine the way they are now.

Thanks for asking us this question. I have often wondered the same thing.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

My good friend Diane (Hi Diane!) has convinced me! I used to abhor (sp?) the thought of doing this, but have decided I don't want to get rid of any of my current sets to make room for new ones. I've managed to keep my numbers around 70 sets for the past 4 years. I just go in there now and then and find something I haven't used in awhile, ponder over whether I will use it again, and then sell it. It's worked so far...but that plan is falling to pieces.
I LOVE my friend's unmounted setup so much I must copy it! And it will make going to crops SO much easier! I can't wait. I just ordered 4 sheets of ezmount and plan on being an unmounting fool when it gets here!

That said...I'd be SO happy if SU offered us a cheaper price to buy sets without the wood blocks!! I could afford more stamps!!

Last edited by Erin in Okc; 04-27-2008 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: thought of something else to say
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I can honestly say I haven't unmounted any but...the ones I have bought that are unmounted>>>I LOVE!! I always have trouble seeing exactly where I'm stamping and a lot of times don't like where it ended up so I will redo it. I like the fact that with the acrylic block you can see where you're stamping and it makes for less redo's. I have been seriously considering doing the UM to the rest of my collection as well...but for now....I'M Still Chicken!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking

I could never unmount my SU or other wood mounted stamps. I have a few um, but don't use them as much as my mounted. I like the stamp & go of the mounted ones. Unless I'm really in a mood to mount, stamp, clean, unmount, put away, mount, stamp, ect..... I just don't like to do that. That said, I do like the unmounted ones I do have. But then I only buy what I really like and know that I will use. I've only recently got some unmounted stamps so maybe down the road my mind will change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

So if anyone here can help me with the decision on what to do with the old stickered blocks please let me know. I have about 4 or 5 large boxes filled with them in my garage adding to the clutter!

Dina, I'm just starting to unmount, a tremendous undertaking! I am considering giving the blocks to a daycare center for kids to play with outside (not gonna sand the rubber off)!

I have a question...do you peel just the rubber off and leave the gray stuff behind? sometimes the gray stuff wants to come of easily. I don't know what to do!
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
SuzyQue in Texas
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Can i ask a question please ,my sister wants me to mount her new unmounted untrimmed large French Flair stamp onto EZ mount so it can be used on a clear block ,would you experts remove the grey bit then stick just the rubber to the EZ then trim ,or trim the rubber then stick and trim the EZ ,ok that sounds dumb ....it seems to make more sense to trim all at once ....please advise ,many thanks ..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyBView Post
Can i ask a question please ,my sister wants me to mount her new unmounted untrimmed large French Flair stamp onto EZ mount so it can be used on a clear block ,would you experts remove the grey bit then stick just the rubber to the EZ then trim ,or trim the rubber then stick and trim the EZ ,ok that sounds dumb ....it seems to make more sense to trim all at once ....please advise ,many thanks ..

AllyB,

What I would do is place the Stamp onto the Ez-mount and then Trim it.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

thanks for that ,sorry i was so long responding ,i got side tracked on e bay ! I thought that seemed the most sensible ...thanks again :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

My friend, Kristen, raved about the greatness of going unmounted. I didn't hate the idea, but just couldn't see myself going that route. Well, I've come to realize that I am accumulating a lot more stamps than I ever thought I would when I started this hobby (isn't that all of us! ;)) and I just can't part with any more! I frequently trade or sell ones I don't want/need anymore, but I am really down to the bare bones in my opinion. I do NOT want to part with any others, but I am totally out of space, too. So, I'm thinking unmounted is the way to go for me ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

I really like working with wooden blocks. I not very good at fiddling with putting stamps on and off of blocks so I will likely never unmount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzyQueView Post

Dina, I'm just starting to unmount, a tremendous undertaking! I am considering giving the blocks to a daycare center for kids to play with outside (not gonna sand the rubber off)!

I have a question...do you peel just the rubber off and leave the gray stuff behind? sometimes the gray stuff wants to come of easily. I don't know what to do!
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
SuzyQue in Texas
Hi, SuzyQue. Most of the time the gray foam comes off the wood easily, as for it coming off the stamps...it's a hit or miss for me. Sometimes it comes off so clean and other times it's a mess. I have been pulling the foam off of all the wood and throwing it out. I did keep some of the foam from new never mounted sets that I plan to cut up and use like pop dots. Good luck with the huge task. I feel like I'm never going to finish. But I'm working on it!

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyBView Post
Pull off the old foam, place the stamp on the ez-mount and trim together. I use a hot knife, it makes it so much easier.

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

I went unmounted shortly before it became popular. I had SeeDs stamps that were rubber only and thought if I can stamp just fine with these, then why do I need all my other stamps to be on wood and cushion.

I didn't spend more that $20 dollars to go unmounted. I am rubber only (with TIOAO) so not a penny was spent on ez-mount. The money was spent on buying cd envelopes to store my stamps in. They hold slightly less than cd cases, but I like not having the large gap at the end on the case, and they're cheaper to buy the hundreds I need.
In all these years, I've only ever bought 2 blocks, and that was very recent because I got them for a price I couldn't pass up. I own about 12-15 blocks of all different sizes, and they came with stamp sets I have purchased, and the all sit on the ledge of my stamping table so they take up only space that wouldn't fit much else. I don't have the mount, unmount, mount problem because there are more than enough blocks for the amount of stamps I need at one time.

I have kept a few select stamps on blocks for decorative purposes, but I never think to actually use any of them.
I have never regretted going unmounted.

The best part is that I can put upto 40 unmounted backgrounds in one drawer of the Target 4 drawer cubes. I would be able to get more in, but most of my backgrounds are CHF, and the foam just doesn't release from the rubber. The SU backgrounds are easy to remove from their foam when the stamp is new.
Did I remember to mention I love being unmounted?!!

I have kept all of the SU blocks (they were never used so they're clean) in a very large box because my husband plans to use them as decorative trim on birdhouses he's planning on making (It may never happen, but he wants to keep them). I have used a couple of blocks to attach velcro to so I can use felt pieces for alcohol inks. I'm also planning on making a few photo holders with the blocks. All blocks with any sticky residue were thrown out.

Last edited by ScrampShopper; 04-29-2008 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes