Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to build my stamping supplies

Hi guys, I'm Tee. I'm new to stamping/cardmaking and I was wondering how you guys went about building your supplies. Right now I'm starting off small buying $1 stamps from Michael's and getting stamp sets when they're on sale - I tend to be iffy about buying stamps for the prices that they are. I have no problem buying paper though lol, I have lots of paper packs. Anyway what were some of the first things you bought? How did you figure out what you needed and didn't need? Were there things you wish someone would have told you, to help you not make buying "mistakes?"

Thanks
Tee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found that if you search different companies and see their stamping images and style you will find your own personal niche. I started with stampin up and added a few more stamping companies that I liked. Since then I have culled out my stamps and only now collect/keep those that I truly use. I found I like the stamping up inks, but I did not have great luck with their craft pads. I have since sold off all of those and use the Brilliance chalk for projects that require that type of ink. I have an addiction to snowman and have to clamp down on that most times. I still use stamping up paper because I like the selection. I buy all the colors and have my mainstays I use for card background and bases.

Here is my example of what I like to do. Michelle Zindorf. I love the colors she uses and how she uses her stamps. Her designs draw my attention and I tend to use those same colors in the same ways. Now I cannot brayer at all so I use sponges and distress inks to get that same look Michelle gets. I am taking a course with her in Febraury of next year to give brayering a good try.

Here is why I love PTI but do not use alot of their stamps. I do admire all the stampers Nicole has on her site but I am not able to do that type of stamping. I am unable and also should say not willing to try and stamp in a pattern. I am a instant gratification type of stamper (I will sit however for hours and cut out small flowers to piece stuff together). Let me say again I love the look of what those talented PTI ladies do with the stamps and I do buy some of the stamps to use.

I hope I have give you a little help and you can email me if you have more questions.

This is a fabulous hobby and can be overwhelming and addictive. Thank goodnes for garage sales at the LSS to get rid of my impulse buys.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll answer your last question first. Often, with stamps as well as tools you get what you pay for. A lot of $1 stamps won't give you a clear, crisp impression when stamped, so before you accummulate a gazillion of those do some stamping with them.

Which tools to purchase depends on what kind of papercrafting you want to do. I'm a scrapbooker first and then a card maker, so my first expensive purchase was getting the Cricut Expression and starting my collection of cartridges. I use that machine all the time for both scrapbooking and cardmaking and just love it. And my first inexpensive purchases (besides paper and paper trimmer, tape and glue, and glue dots) were: Silent Setter (by Provo), brads, eyelets, ribbons, and buttons.

What I found out rather quickly was that I didn't want to continue to buy paper packs (with the exception of quality, solid color, cardstock) because I didn't want to keep using the same papers over and over again. Every pattern paper pack has multiples of the same design, so what I'm referring to are those papers.

Do some homework on what different inks do. Inks certainly fall into the category of being a necessary initial purchase. LOL And then familiarize yourself with alcohol based markers, watercolor markers, watercolor pencils (or watercolor crayons, which I don't like), and chalks. A great resource for learning new techniques, besides here, is youtube. There are so many wonderful tutorials on youtube to watch you might never get around to actually doing anything else. LOL

Most important piece of advice I can give you is to not be afraid to experiment...and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

When I started out, I had very few stamps, but I started with Stampin Up just because I really liked the fact that one good set had a bunch of ways to use it. I got more for my money than buying individual stamps. Now many companies do this...so find a set or two that you LOVE and then find 3-4 coordinating colors you LOVE and get the ink and paper and markers and with a good paper cutter and some dimensional adhesive you can do wonders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been with stampin up all along. So, I started out by buying one whole color family of ink and papers and branched out from there. Having the basic tools like a good cutter, stamp cleaner, scissors, adhesives etc. is pretty much essential. I also bought a basic greeting set and a few flower sets at first. The next phase, I added Versamark and Pastels....this spread my ability to have more colors available without buying a ton more ink pads. I hosted parties to earn free stuff and focused on tools (a $150 party = one punch) and other things like ink and ribbon. Buying markers also helps with color supply without always purchasing the ink pads.
There is a great thread here called ways to make do without buying new (or something close to that) that has great $-saving tips.
You can also pick up goodies for less here in the Buy/Sell/Trade forums.
Have fun building up your collection and developing your hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

@Lorri- thanks so much for the advice. I looked at some Stampin Up items before via a demonstrator who sent me a catalog. I instantly fell in love with all of the things in there lol. I had a hard time choosing what I wanted so I decided to not get anything at all. This hobby is addicting. I've already accumulated large amounts of paper lol

@RosieLP - The $1 stamps actually work really good. I haven't had a problem with them, yet. The first time I saw them, I only bought 1 and I liked them, so I've bought more. I tend to get shy when it comes to buying stamp sets, because often times, I'll only want a few of the stamps in the pack. I don't skimp out on the price of tools though, because I would hate for something important to break on me. I've been thinking about getting a die cutting machine but I can't decided between the Cuttlebug or the Big Shot.
I understand what you mean about the paper packs and I can understand where that can become a bit boring. I do need to figure out what kinds of inks and things to use - I didn't realize there were so many options. Oh and I live on Youtube lol I'm always looking at card tutorials.

Once again thank you both for your help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

A good set of markers or colored pencils is a must. I started out with a set of markers from the dollar store. Big mistake! I now have a ton of LePlume markers that I love. A lot of people on this board are now using Copics but they're pretty expensive and you need to learn how to use them. I'd stick with markers or pencils.

A good trimmer is another thing. It can be used for both cardmaking and scrapping. I'm on about my fifth trimmer now and think I've finally found one I like.

As another poster mentioned, check out different galleries to find your style. Then look for stamps (on sale) that match that style.

You'll soon find this is an addictive hobby!

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

@cjbapp - for some reason I always had it in my mind that it would be easier to buy individual stamps, but I think I might need to start counting on the stamp sets.

@mamaxsix- I've been thinking about whether I needed stamp cleaner or not. I've been using just water to clean my stamps. Thanks for the post about the money saving tips and about buying this from the BST board, the Stampin up prices are a bit too high for me (I'm on a college budget, so you can only imagine lol).

Thanks for the help/advice guys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

@jinglesmom - I'm already addicted lol. I just can't wait to get started. I'm always sitting in my room making cards and doing paper crafts. What do you use the color pencils for? To color in stamped images? I thought about buying copics too, but it seemed too complicated - although it gives a nice finish to a card. I have a fiskars trimmer and I love it! Thanks so much for the help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #10  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

Buy a good paper cutter, a good black ink, some decent white cardstock and something to color with.

If you send me a pm with your address I will put a package of stamps and possibly a few other things in the mail for you. I have a lot more than I need and would love to help you get started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I'd known that buying a "generic" product sometimes is not a good idea. Sometimes, spending a little more money will save money later. For example, instead of buying brand-name cardstock, I bought cheaper stuff elsewhere and didn't like it. I wish I'd stayed away from dollar store type of crafts--pop dots and other adhesives, oddball ribbon, etc. It seemed cute at the time, but I soon had a bunch of stuff that either didn't work, or match with anything else.

Another idea, if you like a certain (retired) item, is to post in the ISO forum or buy from the Buy/Sell forums here. You can get a good deal from a fellow stamper on all sorts of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

@PMR- I have all of the three things that you mentioned Starting off good right lol? Oh my really?! Thank you so much!! I'll pm you my address. I don't know how I'll thank you, but I'll think of something!!

@stamper1996- I learned about cheap adhesive from some double sided sticky tape that I bought from Ross. I made my friend a stationary box and it fell apart after a few days of her having it. I was really embarrassed and felt bad about it, so I bought some more expensive adhesive and it's been working fine. I think I need to go on a search of some stamps that I like and then look on the Buy/Sell forum.

Thanks both of you for the advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #13  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

You are off to a great start. I highly recommend an ATG gun, you can get them at Michaels now. I use the GP brand cardstock from Wal Mart for most of my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I see you are getting great advise. I stamp mostly for cardmaking and gifts and wrap. I buy stamps that I love. I have been stamping now for 8 years and have branched out from one stamp company to different ones that I discovered along the way. I would suggest browsing the gallery and see what strikes your fancy. If you would have told me I would distress stuff 8 years ago, I would have said NO WAY...but now I love it.. So just look around and decide what speaks to you..

I love coloring. I am not the best at it, but find it relaxing etc. I love to use pencils and markers and am now stamping with acrylic paint (took a class and fell in love...). Start off with what you are comfortable with and maybe try other mediums later on or at a class or something.

Good adhesive, good paper cutter are musts.

I would recommend watching youtube videos. Jennifer McGuire is GREAT at techniques. i took her online class for two weeks and learned A TON. it was a blast and it was s$19 and I have a book now that I printed out and a completed canvas of techniques to refer to .... She has a ton of free videos on youtube that you will enjoy.

Most important: STAMP FOR FUN.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

@PMR- I've been debating on the ATG. I think I might go and get it on Friday because I have a friends and family coupon for Michael's

@winnieu- Thanks so much for suggesting Jennifer McGuire. I'm on youtube all the time watching videos so this is another person to add to my list. What are your favorite color pencils and markers to use with the stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Speaking of youtube...by all means check out GinaK on StampTV. She is AWESOME! She is so easy to listen to, so precise in giving instrustions, doesn't rush her tutorials, and she makes doing anything seem completely doable. On youtube type in: StampTV in the search box.

If you're going to get into using Copic markers, then I highly recommend checking out suzannejdean's turorial videos on youtube. On youtube just type in: suzannejdean in the search box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

@RosieLP- thanks for the youtubes! I think I've watched a few GinaK videos and I love Suzannejdean!! I think I may have watched all of her videos, she does a really good job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

You ARE off to a great start!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

My favorite colored pencils are prisma pencils. You can blend them with mineral spirits.... I have my stampin up markers from when I started and also have copics. I find them expensive though. I have about 15 of them and concentrated on getting skin tone ones and shadow colored ones and use them with a blender pen. There are many kind of markers out there, and I know some ladies swear by memento markers. I already have my set of SU so I will use them until they don't work but 8 years later and mine are still working fine. I watercolor using my ink pads too, and that way you get alot of bang for your buck. If you get a black memento ink pad they work fab for coloring as does Archival black. Archival is waterproof.
Enjoy your discoveries.. I am still discovering every day..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I think buying Michael's $ stamps are a great way to start out! I still buy them after five years and the rubber/wood ones a VERY high quality (Studio G) Wal-Mart has them now too. I just bought some yesterday, Halloween stamps that are sooo cute. Go to classes @ Micael's, Hobby Lobby or a get hooked up with classes through an Amuse studio consultant. Ippity, Stampin Up, close to my heart, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep using water to clean your stamps. You don't really need to clean them any better than water will get them. I recommend that you find a good paper source. The paper available in the big craft stores is not that good in my opinion. You can get some decent white cardstock but not the colors.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Great advice so far! I just wanted to add my opinion really quick on a couple of things:
  • Colored Pencils: Prismacolor are the best (in my opinion) but I've also had good results with Crayola. Use them with mineral spirits as seen in this tutorial: Gamsol Magic You can also substitute baby oil and Swisspers cosmetic applicators for the OMS and stumps. I've also used a Goo Gone pen with them.
  • Markers: I can't afford Copics, either, and have used Bic MarkIt markers in much the same way. Fewer colors to choose from, but still fun!
  • Cardstock: I agree with others on making sure you get good quality, not the generic stuff.
  • Ink: Good black inks are Versafine Onyx Black for good, crisp, BLACK stamping. Memento Tuxedo Black if you're going to do alcohol-based markers. Distress inks (all colors) seem to perform well for many, many things.
  • Embellishments: Only buy what you really like and will use, not just what's trendy. Most trends fade fast and you'll be stuck with things you don't want.
  • Adhesives: My current favorites are foam tape, double-sided Scotch tape and Martha Stewart gel adhesive (blue bottle).
A friend of mine uses the 50% rule when she buys stamp sets. If she doesn't like at least half of the stamps in the set, she doesn't buy it. My rule is to only buy it if I have a clear idea of how I'm going to use it. I have too many that I've never used that I bought just because I thought they were "cute" or whatever. Many of my more recent purchases have been retired sets that I bought from the B/S.T forum...
No matter what you decide to use/buy, have a ton of FUN!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Copy paper and if you are on a budget Georgia Pacific Cardstock. Walmart carries both in the office section.

Copy paper because you can practice cheaper than on cardstock (sometimes you need to stamp a stamp a few times before you get a good image - even good stamps - there is always a user error component at times. Ask me how I know!).

With a good coupon - a bone folder and or score-pal/board. I don't make a card without my Scor-pal and bone folder.

I was also a person that found out quick to think about what occasion I would use a stamp. Indeed that is the over-riding factor for me that and trying to cover broad categories...sympathy/birthday/anniversary/holiday/school days....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Rob a bank. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I just wanted to thank you all for the advice. I've grabbed me a little notebook and I've been writing down your tips and things (I'm a list maker lol). I truly appreciate all of your help guys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't rob a bank, ROFL! You can't stamp in jail.

My best advice is it's all trial and error. You will make purchasing mistakes. You will take some time to find your style. Don't purchase trends. Try to make your tools multi-functional. The best thing I ever did was be picky about my stamps. I did buy a lot of paper too because I was into it at the time. I used it on everything. Then I started making my own background papers. Now, I hardly use decorative paper unless it's for other crafting endeavors.

A die cut machine is an expensive purchase. Do you know if you want to buy the steel rule dies or Nestabilities? Do you think you would like a cartridge base system? Do you want to make your own designs? Die cutting is a big love for me. I have several systems. The more I have learned I am going backwards and now cutting out my own intricate designs with an Xacto knife. I would not get rid of my cutters since I use them with different materials. I enjoy designing. It's all about growing as you learn.

Take your time picking out items. Research everything. Try to find alternatives. Don't spend a lot. This is an expensive hobby and a lot of crafter's have regrets. Some of our regrets are big $$$$$'s.

Don't hang on to crafting items after your skills improve and you don't use them anymore. It just hinders yourself. Give those items away or sell to make room for your new tools.

There are several threads over here on how to make your own tools, saving money on this hobby.

Another tidbit of advice I can give you because it's popular this week or won't be next week. There is a craft show called CHA. It's held every Summer & Winter. Right when CHA comes out everything is old and now all the want, want, want comes in. I think it just causes all a bunch of confusion.

Never listen to anyone who critiques your cards because you did not use a certain tool. If your card makes you proud that's what is important. Some crafter's get an elitism mode about their tools.

The best advice I was given when started stamping was buy a ream of Georgia Pacific Cardstock, Tsuinkenko Black Ink and a favorite coloring tool. For my coloring tools I picked up a set of Rose Art coloring pencils that were under $6. Those three items are still my basic. I now use Cra-Z-Art for color pencils since the owner of RoseArt formed that company and Rose Art is owned by different people. The story is on Cra-Z-Art's web site for those who are curious or confused. I find Rose Art pencils really waxy. I do have high end coloring tools that I use but I like my color pencils the best.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

I started out as a scrapbooker, so I had a lot of those tools that carried over into cardmaking. However, after more than 10 years of papercrafting, I still do not own a die-cut machine! I plan to get one eventually, but wanted to say that it's certainly not a requirement for stamping. It's a big purchase, so it's a great idea to try out several (if your friends have them, or if you take a class or workshop where they use them) before deciding which one you want.

Also, while I buy from several stamp companies, I really like attending Stampin Up workshops to get card ideas for specific sets. At a workshop, I get to try a set or two in several different cards so I know that if I purchase it, I will have ideas for using it. I find that really helpful. There are some sets that I use very frequently, and those are the ones that have definitely been worth the price! So if you have a Stampin Up demonstrator who offers workshops, that's a great way to find sets that you will truly use. Also, go to the gallery on the SCS website and check out some of the sets you're interested in. Once you've seen how other stampers use a set, you'll have some great ideas and you may find that getting one or two good sets will be worth the money.

I used to buy stamps on Ebay, but now I purchase more from the B/S/T boards here. It's a great way to get stamps and supplies at a discount while helping others make a little money on stamps/supplies they no longer want/need.

I also agree with those who said not to waste your money on the cardstock packs from chain stores. I have so many of those sitting around my craft room and I rarely use them. I prefer to get good-quality cardstock and use it up, rather than having piles of cheap cardstock sitting around collecting dust.

Get some good adhesive, a good paper cutter, a few stamp pads and markers and start having fun! I only recently purchased a score board, and while I think it's a great tool, I certainly was able to make cards without it for many years. Add some other tools, embellishments, etc. as you can, but don't think you have to have them all before you can start crafting some wonderful things! Also, be sure to tell your friends/family about your new hobby. You'd be surprised how many people bought stamps or other supplies in the past and never put them to use...they may be thrilled to be able to hand them over to someone who will use them!

Most importantly, have fun!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Every stamper I know agrees that she wishes she had not bought so much so quickly. So my only advice is to buy very little and build gradually.

Many of us started with one box, then a rolling cart in the corner of a dining room. Fast forward and we have entire rooms filled to the brim and family members who think we are nuts.

Think about how you are going to organize and store all this stuff so that you can see what you have.

Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

One of my friends and I built our collection by joining a stamp club. At the time, the economy was good and everyone was spending lots of money. Our monthly club would often place orders, as a whole, of at least $700. When it was our turn to host, we would place large orders for ourselves to boost our hostess benefits and used those benefits to purchase ink pads and paper packs until we had the entire collection.

As for the rest of the stuff, you have to determine what your type of coloring medium is. For some people it's Copics, for others it's colored pencils, etc, etc. Then you want to determine if you're a clean and simple stamper or a 'layer it up, glamour and glitz it' type of stamper. If you're a clean and simple stamper, fewer supplies will go far. If you're a layer it up stamper that likes lots of frou frou, then you'll need more tools and embellishments. Stamps/set, well, you'll be the best judge of what you like and what you don't. Just try to envision how you'll use the stamp/set and whether or not you'll use it often enough it'll be worth the purchase.

My main recommendation would be not to rush into buying everything you see or every new product. You truly don't need it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Many of us started with one box, then a rolling cart in the corner of a dining room. Fast forward and we have entire rooms filled to the brim and family members who think we are nuts.
Why did you tell her about me, Joan?! ;)

Seriously, when my oldest was in the 6th grade, he had to write a poem about his mom. It was all about how I was obsessed with stamps and stamping, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I started out just like Joan said...a small box of stuff, then a little 3 drawer cart, and now I have a room that I share with my daughter for all of our stamping/crafting. That's over the course of about 17 years. Hard to believe that it was 17 years ago that I first stamped!

I think the best buying advice is: Buy what you like!

Whether that is cardstock packs from the big stores or anything else. You will use what you like - not what someone else told you to like. And those big packs can be great for layering, paper piecing, and all sorts of things.

I think my biggest "mistakes" when it comes to purchases have been buying into style trends. Several years ago, when people were using a lot of Victorian images I bought a few stamp sets in that style because it was so popular, only to find out that I can't stand them! Just not my style. But I "had to have them", because they were everywhere. That's just one example. Unfortunately, there have been others.

You have definitley gotten some really good advice. I couldn't agree more with buying good quality materials. Sometimes you spend more money when you are trying to save money because you end up with junk that you end up replacing.

Personally, the thing that I love the most are the little things that pack a lot of punch that I get a lot of use out of. Like Stickles! Yes, it's just glitter glue, I know. However, I use it all the time. Little things like that can dress up your cards a lot and they don't break the bank. Other things in this category, for me: Liquid Applique, Liquid Pearls, Flocking, etc.

And, lastly...use those coupons and shop the sales! If you have access to Michael's JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, and the like, stuff is always going on sale. They are always running 40% off specials, or you can use their 40% off coupons. You save a lot of money this way.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love Stickles, too! Sometimes a little dab just puts a finishing touch on a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Welcome to the party! :-)

Quote:

Were there things you wish someone would have told you, to help you not make buying "mistakes?"
Such a good question! Oh how I wish I had had online resources like SCS & StampTV when I first started out. This may not have prevented regrettable purchases, but it sure would've reduced them.

I was introduced to the world of stamping several years ago through a friend who became an SU! demonstrator. She held monthly "stamp camps" where she showed us how to make simple cards (techniques and trends have come a long way since then) and we agreed to spend a certain amount of $$ each month.

What I wish someone had told me was that I didn't need to have every color of card stock and ink and ribbon and embossing powder and colored pencil known to man. I became obsessed with owning all the coordinating SU! spots, card stock, eyelets, powders, and all their markers (which I later sold). When I just about had my collection complete, SU! began switching out colors and adding the "in color" pallets--it just never ends. I also later bought the giant set of Prisma pencils. At the end of the day, I don't use a fraction of the colors I bought.

I wish my demo had shown us how to make three cards using the same stamp set as opposed to demoing three different sets. I know it's all about selling stuff, but I bought SO many stamps that I now have no idea what to do with. I wish I had realized that CASEing a card does not mean you have to do so using the exact same stamped image that the original creator used. If I had it to do over again, I would be much more discerning about which stamps I bought.

As much as I love SU! stuff, their products don't have to be the only tools in the shed. As a non-demo, I guess I have the luxury of shopping diversely. I found identical and comparable items for less at my local hobby stores and online (Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, lightbox, etc.,). One thing I don't skimp on is card stock.

I agree with the poster who said to invest in a good cutter. I've tried three different types and am still unhappy with cuts that are not completely straight/square.

Just of few of my personal insights, for what they're worth. ;)

~ Debra

Inspired Creativity Through the Ideas of Others

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie DoView Post
What I wish someone had told me was that I didn't need to have every color of card stock and ink and ribbon and embossing powder and colored pencil known to man. I became obsessed with owning all the coordinating SU! spots, card stock, eyelets, powders, and all their markers (which I later sold). When I just about had my collection complete, SU! began switching out colors and adding the "in color" pallets--it just never ends. I also later bought the giant set of Prisma pencils. At the end of the day, I don't use a fraction of the colors I bought.
This is SO true. Don't think that you have to have the "whole set". It's a trap!

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeechelleView Post
It's a trap!
Yes it is, Michelle; and I allowed myself to get caught in it BIG time. lol

~ Debra

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

There's another interesting thread going on that you might be interested in reading - the question posed in that thread asks what people wish they hadn't bought. Here's the link to that thread:

wish I hadn't paid for this... by laadeedaa at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've gotten some great advice. A few of my thoughts:

1. When you are considering stamp sets, try to visualize if they can be used for multiple occasions/uses - Can you use for a thank you card, a get well soon card, a sympathy card, and a birthday card? If it is versatile enough, it is probably worth the purchase. If the set seems really limited in it's application (e.g. can only ever be used for a baby card), you might want to either think twice or be really, really in love with it.

2. Don't discount consumables - particularly if you want to try out a new trend or technique. For example, the current rage seems to be steampunk. Not my style, but have seen some very interesting cards. So, instead of investing in a stamp set that I might tire of after 1 week, I bought 4 individual sheets of paper in that style and a small package of coordinating embelllishments. Cost was about half of what a stamp set would come to, and it gave me a really good chance at trying it out. I discovered that I am not very good at that style and don't like creating with it. Now however, I am not stuck with a stamp set that I have to either sell or store - just 1 piece of paper left, which I can use on the inside of envelopes.

3. Speaking of trends, since you are just getting started, try not to get caught up in trends. My opinion, you need to work on building up your basics and core supplies.

4. When in doubt on whether to puchase stamps or tools, or if you can only choose 1, go for the tools. If you choose your tools wisely, in most cases they will still be there long after you have tired of your stamps, paper, embellishments, etc. Start with trimmer, scissors, a good black stamp pad (my personal preference is either Versafine Onyx or Memento Tuxedo Black but there are lots of great options out there), good quality adhesives (my own opinion - some type of tape runner, and some type of wet glue product), and 2 multipurpose stamp sets - Birthday/Celebration related, and generic nature/flower related. You can fill in with other sets as you become more comfortable and discover your style.

5. If you experience buyer's regret - don't sweat it. We all have done it, and it is a natural part of discovering your style. If you bought a stamp set that you now hate but feel you have to keep using because you spent money on it, stop. Either sell it, donate it, or just put it aside for a while - maybe you might come back to it and fall in love with it again.

6. For adding ink pads in other colours, consider buying ink spots (SU!, Dew Drops, Colorbox, etc) instead of full size ink pads. You can try out various colour combinations and find your favourites, then invest in the full size pads of the ones you really love and use frequently. And, you won't have as much buyer's regret for purchasing full size pads that you rarely or never use. And consider markers to fill in those colour needs - many companies have small packs of markers (4 or 5 to a pack) for reasonable prices.

Hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Once again thanks guys for all of the advice. I'm so thankful that you all took the time out to reply to little ol' me lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

mortgage your house.. sell your first born.. its an addiction!!!
LOL

Seriously.. just start out slow get the staples first.. cutter.. or cutters.. and yes find the stamps you are comfy with the most
GL and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by liptonteeView Post
Once again thanks guys for all of the advice. I'm so thankful that you all took the time out to reply to little ol' me lol.
My pleasure, Tee. Happy stamping!

~ Debra

Reply With Quote Likes