Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #41  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I recently made some "cookies and cream" treats that I packaged up in little bags with cute toppers -- melt 1 bag of white chocolate wafers (like Wiltons, for candy making), mix in about 18 crushed Oreo cookies (or store brand - who'd be able to tell the difference) and spoon out into mini muffin pans lined with papers. Each bag of chocolate with about 18 cookies makes approximately 36 treats. Approximate cost for 36 treats is $4.00. That's not a bad per item price but this project seems like it could take hundreds! Depending on how many little somethings need to go into each of the 50 larger somethings, that could be a boatload of anything to make from scratch. I think I have to agree with pjw2855 -- buy something and pretty up the packaging!

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year for Valentines Day I decorated a basket, and filled it with the sour cream containers. I set it up assembly-line fashion and it went pretty fast. Each container had several different flavors of the Hershey's Kisses. I'd buy some cheaper Christmas DP

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm feeling "bah humbug" over this.

It sounds to me like he is expecting you to provide him prettied up custom looking gifts that he can dole out, all for the same price that he paid for bulk candy last year. IMO, that's asking too much. I mean, it's ok to say "no" sometimes. Think of all the work and supplies involved. Even though there are some awesome and creative ideas above, and we all like to please others. It just sounds too much to me. We are all busy this time of the year, and he sounds like he wants this "chore" of the season off his hands AND for it to look great too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

laura6 - the basket and lolly idea is GREAT, it would be cheap to do but I'm wondering for the time it would take if I would be making enough for $7 or even $10 each? I'll have to see what I can get in my area and go from there. Thank for the suggestion!

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeycreekMO
I believe your first assumption is correct. It sounds like he is sending one "something" filled with a lot of little "somethings" to 50 offices. For instance, 1 bucket of peppermint candies to 50 different offices. In my mind it's the equivalent of one of those big popcorn tins to be shared by the whole office.
This is exactly right

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayes1View Post
I take it as he's wanting to get/keep his name out there so he can perhaps drum up business and use it for a tax write off
Yes, that's what his plan is and
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayes1View Post
Boy you opened the flood gates with this question didn't you
Wow, yes I did! I didn't mean to confuse everyone so much, but I am totally loving all this help! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks this is hard!

ozarkstamper - the bone candy idea is a good one, you're right - he is a chiropractor! I'll propose it to him and see what his time limit allows (as in, could I order it online and still have time to get the candy, make the stuff and get it back to him in time)

Thanks again, everyone! This is helping me tremendously! Keep any ideas you have coming, I need ALL the help I can get! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to chime in here... when I worked in a hospital lab, one of the physician groups sent a gift to every department - a tin of chocolate covered peanuts. In our dept - it figured out that everyone employee got... one!
Some departments though, that only had 3-4 people got a bunch!

So I see where the dr is coming from - and I see the questions about how to come up with a gift in his price range that is worth your time! Great ideas from everyone! Good luck!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by katz_r_usView Post
I'm feeling "bah humbug" over this.

It sounds to me like he is expecting you to provide him prettied up custom looking gifts that he can dole out, all for the same price that he paid for bulk candy last year. IMO, that's asking too much. I mean, it's ok to say "no" sometimes. Think of all the work and supplies involved. Even though there are some awesome and creative ideas above, and we all like to please others. It just sounds too much to me. We are all busy this time of the year, and he sounds like he wants this "chore" of the season off his hands AND for it to look great too.
I tend to agree with you - but I love finding workable solutions and crunching the viability numbers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Even a xtra large size of candy bars will cost almost 7 dollar, if he wants it to feed a good number of people. I don't see how it could be worth your time. I don't envy you on this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I love this idea!!! I can really visualize this but with the globe shaped lollipops rather than the flat circles - I might steal it to take to a couple of Children's parties I go to.
Yep, those are the kind of lollipops I was envisioning. We get the ones called "Dum-dums" here that are very small, but very cheap. Or there are Tootsie-Roll pops. Either one could be wrapped in holiday paper and stuck into the styrofoam. Wrap some of the bigger ones in green paper to represent the tree and add in a few smaller ones wrapped in red for ornaments (or maybe even a different kind of candy). Or you might be lucky enough to find some packaged in Christmas colors and not have to wrap them at all. Cheap, quick & easy.

I just remembered seeing the same sort of thing with red/green Hershey's kisses. They were hot glued to the styrofoam "tree" flat side down. This might be the easiest of all and you could have a variety of colors with all the different Christmas colors that hugs & kisses come in. Shoot, there are so many different kinds of candy that are packaged differently for Christmas, I bet you could walk down the candy aisle & find 50 more ideas for creating trees. One covered entirely in peppermints with a little ribbon would be adorable.
Have faith in God . . . . Mark 11:22

Last edited by honeycreekMO; 12-02-2009 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: correcting a typo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #49  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeycreekMOView Post
I just remembered seeing the same sort of thing with red/green Hershey's kisses. They were hot glued to the styrofoam "tree" flat side down. This might be the easiest of all and you could have a variety of colors with all the different Christmas colors that hugs & kisses come in. Shoot, there are so many different kinds of candy that are packaged differently for Christmas, I bet you could walk down the candy aisle & find 50 more ideas for creating trees. One covered entirely in peppermints with a little ribbon would be adorable.
I LOVE this idea. The only things is, is a tree too Christmas-ish? I know for a fact that my Chiropractor is Jewish and I don't want to offend him or any of the clients that he would be giving the gifts too. What are everyone's thoughts? Is a tree multi-holiday enough? What if I use just the plain silver kisses? A big silver tree might be universal enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

I wondered about the tree shape, also. I'm afraid I don't know the answer. You could do a wreath shape or a topiary, also. I did a quick google search and came up with these. Some of them are inedible because the candy was taken out of the package before it was glued on. You would just need to leave the wrapper on. I LOVE the candy cane idea in the 2nd one.
http://www.khlmolds.com/Articles/candy_xmastree.aspx

http://www.bhg.com/holidays/christma...-tree-project/

http://www.maggiemadeit.com/candy.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_4795972_candy-topiary-tree.html

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...Christmas-tree

Here's an idea using a tree branch for a "generic" holiday look. Very cheap, too!!
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5508124_ma...ick-candy.html

My aunt made these one year, but they're a bit more time consuming:
http://crafts.kaboose.com/candy-train-ornament.html

We've also made very simple "mice" out of felt & a candy cane. I'll see if I can find that pattern somewhere.

I'm way into this now. Be sure to post pics of what you do!!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Here's the mouse pattern I mentioned above. You could easily use paper for this.
http://www.amazingmoms.com/htm/chris...afts_mouse.htm

And a reindeer:
http://www.craftelf.com/Crafting_with_Food.htm

These kind of look like kids crafts, but if you did the generic tree branch idea, a few of these might be cute, especially if you use dp.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #52  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouInkItView Post
I LOVE this idea. The only things is, is a tree too Christmas-ish? I know for a fact that my Chiropractor is Jewish and I don't want to offend him or any of the clients that he would be giving the gifts too. What are everyone's thoughts? Is a tree multi-holiday enough? What if I use just the plain silver kisses? A big silver tree might be universal enough.
HA,HA!! My daughter works at an assisted living place and the decorator was there last week putting up Christmas decorations and the few Jewish residents that live there were telling her how to decorate the tree and other parts of the building!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #53  
Gabfest Goddess

One of my husband's co-workers every year makes everyone in the office little mini trees. She gets the small tree shape and than with straight pins, pins on the mini candy bars that you can buy in bulk at Wal-Mart or other places. I always return the tree to her, to help her save some money each year. You could do this with a larger sized tree shape (use a Michael's or Jo-Ann's 40% off coupon). I've also seen pictures where they do this with a wreath form and pin on the peppermint discs, with a pretty bow added.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #54  
Kookie Creator

In my experience, some people who don't do crafts, don't know the time or effort involved in a project. I've often had people ask me to "whip" something up for them not realizing the time or thought involved.

It sounds like the doc admires the OP's work and wanted to have her handle his gifts this year. I'm willing to bet he didn't realize all that his request entailed.

I love the ideas that people have come up with. I think I have everything on hand to make the lollipop basket. I wish I could think of someone to give it to!!

In regards to someone's question about floral foam and the dollar store: Our Dollar Tree has a 3 pack for $1. Cha-ching!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouInkItView Post
Technically a Christmas Tree isn't too Christmas as its a Pagan symbol that's been adopted by cultures (religious and non) to celebrate winter holidays around the Winter solstace.

And who would complain about a Candy Tree... now if you can just magic up a money tree....;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Tell him, it's not a Christmas Tree... it's a Hannukah Shrub LOL
seriously, though, he can't expect you to make enough gifts for Hannukah, 1 gift a day Times 8 days Times number of people.... for $7.... so Christmas it is (by default)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #57  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with the bucket (or some other container) filled with Hershey's Nuggets. You can use the Avery labels and print his office name and phone number fairly unobtrusively on one end (which will end up on the back and they'll see it when they open the candy) and then stamp something pretty on the front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #58  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm going to agree with other posters who said it was too much to expect you to use your valuable time to make individual items in that quantity for that many. ((BTW I think the bone candy is a cute idea)). After all, he gets paid every day for the time and talent he has. His business is "service" based. I think it's actually inconsiderate for him to think you will give him your for free, although he probably doesn't think of it that way since he thinks it's only "crafts" and doesn't have a clue how much time and energy it takes to do something well done.

So... short of telling him you won't have the time to put in to the project this year (which is ok... I know it's hard to say no and flattering that he asked you)), my suggestion is that you buy something in bulk (preferably from CVS! ha!) and decorate the outside of the container with some DP, maybe a saying cut out with your nesties and cuttlebug or punches, and some nice ribbon.

Or even better...put a computer generated message on the outside (ex: Dr. Cheepo wishes you a happy holiday and reminds you to make a commit "mint" to your health this year!) Then scalloped edge punch it and add ribbon and embellies! Voila. Definitely charge him $15 each and pocket the profit for YOUR time!!!:cool: Or, get some free adjustments out of the deal... BARTER a deal ahead of time... (("It will take me 4 hours to decorate 50 clear plastic peppermint jars... so I'll do it for 4 free hours of chiropractic, spread over the month of January for me or my family."))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #59  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
I'm going to agree with other posters who said it was too much to expect you to use your valuable time to make individual items in that quantity for that many. ((BTW I think the bone candy is a cute idea)). After all, he gets paid every day for the time and talent he has. His business is "service" based. I think it's actually inconsiderate for him to think you will give him your for free, although he probably doesn't think of it that way since he thinks it's only "crafts" and doesn't have a clue how much time and energy it takes to do something well done.

So... short of telling him you won't have the time to put in to the project this year (which is ok... I know it's hard to say no and flattering that he asked you)), my suggestion is that you buy something in bulk (preferably from CVS! ha!) and decorate the outside of the container with some DP, maybe a saying cut out with your nesties and cuttlebug or punches, and some nice ribbon.

Or even better...put a computer generated message on the outside (ex: Dr. Cheepo wishes you a happy holiday and reminds you to make a commit "mint" to your health this year!) Then scalloped edge punch it and add ribbon and embellies! Voila. Definitely charge him $15 each and pocket the profit for YOUR time!!!:cool: Or, get some free adjustments out of the deal... BARTER a deal ahead of time... (("It will take me 4 hours to decorate 50 clear plastic peppermint jars... so I'll do it for 4 free hours of chiropractic, spread over the month of January for me or my family."))
I love this! Great idea about decorating the container.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #60  
Gabfest Goddess

lbirus...you crack me up!! Dr. Cheepo...too funny!!!

Whatever you decided to do for him, if you do, please post pictures so that we can oh and ah over it!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2009, 02:58 AM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it would be nice now to know what the original poster decided to do about the request and gift(s).

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 AM   #62  
GMC
Kookie Creator

I agree with the post about bartering your crafting time for chiropractic services for you or the family. Put it to him in terms he can understand. Time is money. Don't sell yourself short. Bartering may be an excellent alternative so that you get "payment" for the time and energy you put into this endeavor. Make sure you get what you want out of it. Since he is not willing to part with the money, this is probably the best option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #63  
Rubber Obsessor

Bartering is a great idea. I pay for my haircuts with hand made jewelry!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #64  
Kookie Creator

What about those paint cans for a bucket? Just decorate the cans and fill with bulk candies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeycreekMOView Post
I like the lollipop idea, also. Maybe you could stick them in styrofoam and make a "tree".

Also, don't forget those adorable junior mints covered with punched out scallops and stamped with appropriate images.

$7 does sound "cheap", but it sounds like he's sending it to 50 other offices in the area, instead of a plant or popcorn tin, so I bet everyone really appreciates it.
I DID THIS Yesterday!

Its a small tree (my eldest is in his first school play so I'm sending it backstage as a treat)

It took me about half an hour and I only had a cone that was just under 9 inches tall (I could only find oasis that was big enough) and it took about half my jumbo bag of dum dum lollipops.

I will try to get a picture up in my gallery - thought I would put a nestie star on as a tree topper :mrgreen:

I'm going to do another one to take to our karate dojo christmas party :mrgreen:

Last edited by RiverIsis; 12-11-2009 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

A photo as promised - its the last entry in my gallery but definitely a fun, cheap project that looks cute (even without embellishments Ooops!)
Attached Thumbnails
Help! What to make for ?-200912-dumdumtree.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #67  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

A photo as promised - its the last entry in my gallery but definitely a fun, cheap project that looks cute (even without embellishments Ooops!)
Your tree turned out so cute!! TFS your picture with all of us! :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

That came out really nice! I think I might run out and get some and try it for my daughter's school party on Friday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Ok I hope this is not a repeat I read most but when I read the OP I immediately thought of pebble magnets. The Pebbles in the Craft store or even wally world with the stuff you fill vases, like rocks, and such. Make sure they are flat on one side. They come in many colors and they are just a few dollars a bag with about 50-100 pebbles in it. Then you need to punch 1" patterned paper of your choice(great way to use scraps), then get the magnets to glue on the back. With trial and ERROR I have found in order for the magnets to hold anything up you must buy the round dime size magnets. They sell them at Office max 12 to a pack for $3.50. Use super glue or E6000 glue but you must use thicker paper so the glue won't show through.

Now for packaging... put a few magnets in a small clear bag, tie a bow and they are done. Go to Home depot buy one or two new 1 gallon paint buckets at the paint counter $2-$3 each decorate outside and put the magnets inside for distrubution.

Super fast I am pretty sure you will come in at about $100 for everything probably much left. This is based on giving three magnets to 50 people.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

I Forgot to add I use crystal effects type stuff to glue the print side of the paper to the the pebbles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #71  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Super cute, it must have taken a couple of hours... or more! Now go get that "free" adjustment from Dr. Cheepo ((see my post above))!!! You deserve it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #72  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

How about a wreath (styrofoam, or even just heavy cardboard cut from discarded boxes) covered in solid color wrapping paper, and then completely covered with assorted mints (the starlite type). The mints are available in both spearmint (green striped) and peppermint (red striped) at Walmart for a buck a big bag. Since each is cello wrapped, the colors would be festive, the wreath is non-denominational, you could even print his name on colored printer paper, and use that as the covering under the candy on the wreath, so the more that are removed, the more his name shows. I'd use little tabs of Scotch double sticky tape to adhere, then the candy would come off easy enough. A bow on top (from some ribbon you get cheap, or still have around already) and a loop to hang it by- it'd be cute, cheap, and great advertising.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #73  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCView Post
I agree with the post about bartering your crafting time for chiropractic services for you or the family. Put it to him in terms he can understand. Time is money. Don't sell yourself short. Bartering may be an excellent alternative so that you get "payment" for the time and energy you put into this endeavor. Make sure you get what you want out of it. Since he is not willing to part with the money, this is probably the best option.
I ABSOLUTELY agree with this. I used to clean house for a friend who was a fabulous masseur, in exchange for a massage. Your time is valuable, and I'm thinking you are selling yourself short by planning on doing a ton of work for next to nothing. He doesn't do your adjustments for nothing, does he?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
Super cute, it must have taken a couple of hours... or more! Now go get that "free" adjustment from Dr. Cheepo ((see my post above))!!! You deserve it!!!
LOL - I'm not the OP - and truthfully it took all of 30 minutes if that long and that was because I was picky about what colors went next to one another.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #75  
Gabfest Goddess

Wonder what she decided to make??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Good question . . .
Reply With Quote Likes