Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by madlynstampsView Post
There is this new fangled device called an iron. In the days before I had a heat gun, I used to prop the iron upside down between a couple of books, and emboss away. Worked very well
The OVEN too...but I started to BURN my craft card stock--got distracted with lil' ones running around the house back then...invested in my Milwaukee Wall Paper Remover (heat gun)! It's really been worth every penny!

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #42  
Glitter Queen

I have had varying success with different brands of embossing powder. Verafine should work perfectly. With my heat gun, which is pretty old, it only takes seconds to emboss. Any longer and my paper will scorch. The paper can change the quality of the embossing, too. Some papers work a lot better than others. If you emboss over some aluminum foil or an aluminum pie tin, the heat will be reflected and do a better job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by La FonzView Post
I am not familiar with Zing embossing powder but I'm having the same problem with Stewart Superior's Cloisonn� embossing powder. I bought it for the color as it was the only bronze EP I had ever seen. I stamped with Versamark & sprinkled it on. It wasn't superfine but I didn't think anything of it until I went to tap off the excess & it all came off.

It turns out it is a granulated embossing powder & creates a high gloss enamel look. From what I have learned, you need to stamp with some type of heat activated glue pad to hold it in place while heating.
Don't know how it would turn out but if you have clear embossing powder you can use versamark, clear embossing powder, heat it and then sprinkle on the Cloisonn� embossing powder and heat again . I know this is a technique for loose glitter so in theory it should work on any embossing powder that "needs" a glue pad, but it may give you a very different look than what you want. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Tell Ranger you send you a new heatgun along with fabulous products for your inconvenience!
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.-Ephesians 4:32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

for the record, you can emboss over a gas stove flame or a candle. I've done it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #46  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChautonaView Post
for the record, you can emboss over a gas stove flame or a candle. I've done it.
I burn Grilled cheese sandwiches! If I didn't already have a heat gun DH should buy me one just to save the house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #47  
Compulsive Stamper

you just arn't heating it long enough
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #48  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by icelillyView Post
you just arn't heating it long enough
Don't think that is it. She heated it for more than five minutes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #49  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
Hmmm....I originally got a Nicole gun for $10 and never used it. A friend is planning to buy it. I decided against it and bought the Ranger (more$$$) because I'd heard good things about it including how quiet it is. It certainly is quiet, but that's no help if it doesn't work well....even when I get the new one.
I have the Nicole brand! It gets very hot.... it warps my Ranger mat, warps my cutting mat, and still manages to heat up my table. It seems that your Ranger one is definitely not getting hot enough. Hope your new one comes soon!

God Bless!
God Bless! Philippians 4:13
You can't spell Earth without "ART" well you can, but then it's just "EH. My (very small) Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #50  
Cardstock Collector

I've been embossing with silver and gold for years. When I tried a solid color I had the same problem. The next day the color just rubbed off. I'm reading ALL your ideas in an effort to learn what I am doing wrong. I have every color of powder and would really like to use them. Thanks for all your comments
vss15tm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #51  
Compulsive Stamper

I just recently saw how to emboss at a craft fair... full of ideas, purchased powders, heat gun, inks, the works... and now can't get it to work! I think my problem is that I used regular printer paper and not card stock (it was a digi-stamp printed on a laser, then re-drawn with a clear ink marker).. the marker seemed to bleed into the paper and the embossing powder wouldn't melt (though it did cling to the marker just fine).

anyway... just learned a lot reading this post and now - does embossing powder go bad?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

My ranger heat gun doesn't get hot enough to melt embossing powder...... Take a coupon and go to Joann's and buy a Darice Gun...... you will see the difference.

Quote:

Hi,
I've only done embossing once and it was during a class at Archivers a few weeks back. I'm trying to make Easter cards and id doesn't seem to be working for me.

I've used black Versamark ink with black Zing powder and a Ranger heat gun. While it's dry, it feels gritty and I can brush off the powder. When I put the powder on at first, I tap the card stock (Neenah) to get excess off.
I also tried using Versamark watermark ink with the black Zing and it didn't make any difference.

My goal is to color the image with water colors or distress ink. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #53  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

If you got a Ranger Heat Gun late in 2012, Ranger has had a problem with bad guns. They'll be replacing mine when they get stock. I'd recommend calling them about it.
Mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

If you got a Ranger Heat Gun late in 2012, Ranger has had a problem with bad guns. They'll be replacing mine when they get stock. I'd recommend calling them about it.
Mob
Thanks for the info...... I just got off the phone with Ranger......... My gun is being replaced!!! Nice to see a company stand behind their products!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #55  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Default My embossing powder 'went bad'

Hi. Just wanted to share.

I've been heat embossing for 11 years and just last week, for the first time ever, I had a problem with some black embossing powder that, for lack of a better term, has 'gone bad'.

The EP is probably about 10 years old and is from a reputable company. I have used it successfully many times in the past. This time when I tried to use it only a little of it would stick to the Versamark and I tried to emboss it anyway (diehard LOL) and what little EP stuck did not melt.

So I have now learned firsthand that embossing powder can indeed 'go bad'.

After about 3 failed attempts with the 'bad' embossing powder (because I was incredulous), I used some different black embossing powder and it worked perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Hi. Just wanted to share.

I've been heat embossing for 11 years and just last week, for the first time ever, I had a problem with some black embossing powder that, for lack of a better term, has 'gone bad'.

The EP is probably about 10 years old and is from a reputable company. I have used it successfully many times in the past. This time when I tried to use it only a little of it would stick to the Versamark and I tried to emboss it anyway (diehard LOL) and what little EP stuck did not melt.

So I have now learned firsthand that embossing powder can indeed 'go bad'.

After about 3 failed attempts with the 'bad' embossing powder (because I was incredulous), I used some different black embossing powder and it worked perfectly.
Good to know. I have some old stuff, and while I haven't had a problem yet, I can be aware of it. I'm not very conscientious about putting it back in the container while I work, and the stuff stays out a couple days sometimes, so I may have the problem sooner than those that are meticulous.
Reply With Quote Likes