Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with cutting

I need some ideas/advice on how to cut a square/rectangle out of the middle of a 5 X 8 piece of card stock. I'm using an exacto knife and a ruler, but I must be knife challenged because Imy cuts are just not looking well at all.

What do you use?

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2005, 09:59 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

FWIW, I have the same problem too...the corners are not as tidy as I'd like them to be. I know some people use paper cutters to do it but they must have fancier/better paper cutters than I have...there's no way I'd be able to bring the blade down exactly where I want the cut to start. I've seen it done on t.v. too and I just don't know what the secret is. (I mean, using a cutter to do cuts in the middle of a piece of paper.

Anyone have any tricks on how to do this without having a long reach punch or some other "specialty" tool?

TIA.

Kelly Bee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

a few tips:
no particular order.
use your anywhere punch and make a start hole (by punching repeatedly) and then you can use your scissors to 'X' out to the corners and then do the edges.
Not so hot for saving paper but, will leave you with a nice frame piece.
Also try with a large square punch at each corner. then you could use scissor or blade to do the edges.
The plus of this is more useable cs for tags, layers, etc.
The SU! fiskars cutter takes *LOTS* of practice. and in the case of mine... it is soo used/ worn in that it is very wobbly now, I just need a new cutter.
try the colluzzle too.
good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2005, 12:28 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Smile

I do the "X" thing. I usually draw the square lightly in pencil on the back, then cut from corner to corner (diagonally) with an exacto and a ruler (repeat on opposite corners to make x)...finally, cut the sides.

hth,
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2005, 04:16 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I use the CM cutting system and LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2005, 06:20 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybee
FWIW, I have the same problem too...the corners are not as tidy as I'd like them to be. I know some people use paper cutters to do it but they must have fancier/better paper cutters than I have...there's no way I'd be able to bring the blade down exactly where I want the cut to start. I've seen it done on t.v. too and I just don't know what the secret is. (I mean, using a cutter to do cuts in the middle of a piece of paper.

Anyone have any tricks on how to do this without having a long reach punch or some other "specialty" tool?

TIA.

Kelly Bee
Kelly, do you have a Fiskars paper trimmer? On the orange blade cartridge is a pair of little plastic spurs that happen to be located at the exact point where the blade itself begins. They extend over the top of the carriage and allow you to follow the measurements on it. Use these marking points to bring the blade down exactly where you want it. I have used this technique before, and it works like a charm for cutting out holes in the middle of a piece of cardstock! As a bonus, the blade is much thinner than that of an Xacto knife, and so if you overshoot the mark a tiny bit it's not nearly as noticeable. In fact, since the blade's cutting edge is angled, you may not see the mistake at all if you turn the CS over.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2005, 06:24 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I will sometimes use my Fiskars because you can lift the blade up...but it isn't always exact, so it depends on how "exacting" you are.

For me, the trick with an exacto knife is to use a piece of glass underneath and a sharp blade -- I use a fresh blade with each new project. If I am cutting out letters, sometimes I go through 3 or 4 blades.

HTH

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Reply With Quote Likes