Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideas for child/teen sympathy cards?

I've been requested by the local church to come up with cards that could be used for children and young adult/teens for sympathy cards. The lady was pretty specific in asking for cards more geared for those age groups.

Does anyone have any suggestions of "older" stamp sets that could be appropriate or maybe some samples I could follow? We have a group meeting next Saturday, 6/12, to make cards and I need to make kits this weekend. I would be starting with a white base and nothing can be bulky on them.

Thanks so much for looking and maybe giving me some help! I'm better at scrapping than card making
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #2  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm linking some from my gallery of cards I sent a few years ago to my sister's kids the first Christmas after she passed away (her kids were 20, 14, and :

This was sent to the oldest:
Christmas 2007 - For Jill (by TeeGeeDee) by TeeGeeDee at Splitcoaststampers

This was sent to the youngest (another girl):
Ali's Christmas card 2007 (by TeeGeeDee) by TeeGeeDee at Splitcoaststampers

I think swirls and flowers are good general-type images for all sorts of cards and lots of sets have at least one swirl or flower.

I can't find a picture of the card sent to my nephew but "boy/neutral" colors and circles or other geometric shapes are things I typical turn to for male cards.

If you use pleasing images (flowers, shapes, seashells, butterflies) and soothing colors the cards will be comforting. I personally prefer no sentiment on the front (so I can just look at the pretty card and not be blatantly reminded of its reason - I know but I could pretend, kwim - but the local church might want to be able to more quickly identify the purpose for the cards once they are sorted into whatever system they use.

I hope these links and ramblings serve as a springboard and that more people offer suggestions.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PaperTrey Ink has a child sympathy set for $5

WITH SYMPATHY LOSS OF A CHILD
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:20 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you looking for cards to give TO tweens/teens for loss of a parent or soemthing, or cards to give BECAUSE of the loss of a Tween/teen?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:33 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsjvbView Post
are you looking for cards to give TO tweens/teens for loss of a parent or soemthing, or cards to give BECAUSE of the loss of a Tween/teen?
They would be giving them to the children for the loss of relatives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
PaperTrey Ink has a child sympathy set for $5

WITH SYMPATHY LOSS OF A CHILD
Thank you for this site. I'll have to ask the lady in charge if she would like some cards for the loss of a newborn or child. She hadn't mentioned that but it makes me wonder what my BIL and SIL received from them last year when they lost their 3 yo daughter.

I really like the one sentiment. I think I've seen that before on cards in the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
I'm linking some from my gallery of cards I sent a few years ago to my sister's kids the first Christmas after she passed away (her kids were 20, 14, and :

This was sent to the oldest:
Christmas 2007 - For Jill (by TeeGeeDee) by TeeGeeDee at Splitcoaststampers

This was sent to the youngest (another girl):
Ali's Christmas card 2007 (by TeeGeeDee) by TeeGeeDee at Splitcoaststampers

I think swirls and flowers are good general-type images for all sorts of cards and lots of sets have at least one swirl or flower.

I can't find a picture of the card sent to my nephew but "boy/neutral" colors and circles or other geometric shapes are things I typical turn to for male cards.

If you use pleasing images (flowers, shapes, seashells, butterflies) and soothing colors the cards will be comforting. I personally prefer no sentiment on the front (so I can just look at the pretty card and not be blatantly reminded of its reason - I know but I could pretend, kwim - but the local church might want to be able to more quickly identify the purpose for the cards once they are sorted into whatever system they use.

I hope these links and ramblings serve as a springboard and that more people offer suggestions.
Thank you! An OSW sheet would be a good idea (I've got lots of wheels) and I did find quite a few color schemes that could be used when searching through the gallery under just "sympathy". The seashore/shells idea would be a good one to go with this time around since one lady designed a card using the footprints verse and it's summertime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, I love the tissue box cards. I use the Three Little Words from SU. Those card are fun to make and a fabulous geometry lesson!

http://papercrafterthoughts.blogspot...ial-paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I think animals with a subtle background setting would also be a good choice for children.

Most important is the sentiment you would put. In my opinion using the word sympathy would not be appropriate for younger children as they probably wouldn't really understand the word. Something written inside letting them know their are always listening ears when needed.

When my mother passed on my 9th birthday after 6 months with cancer, I was given the book "Angel Unaware" by Dale Evans Rogers. At the time I didn't exactly understand the significance, but as time went on into years, I came to understand. I still have the book and cherish it.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
Oh, I love the tissue box cards. I use the Three Little Words from SU. Those card are fun to make and a fabulous geometry lesson!

http://papercrafterthoughts.blogspot...ial-paper.html
What a neat blog...thanks for the link! That card is really fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I think animals with a subtle background setting would also be a good choice for children.

Most important is the sentiment you would put. In my opinion using the word sympathy would not be appropriate for younger children as they probably wouldn't really understand the word. Something written inside letting them know their are always listening ears when needed.

When my mother passed on my 9th birthday after 6 months with cancer, I was given the book "Angel Unaware" by Dale Evans Rogers. At the time I didn't exactly understand the significance, but as time went on into years, I came to understand. I still have the book and cherish it.

Patti
Thank you. I hadn't thought about animals and I do have several stamp sets with different ones. I would say 75% of the cards we make do not have any sentiments on the front since the many different church ministeries uses them to write appropriate messages in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #12  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God be with you doing these cards. I have one suggestion and although I do one personal card at a time....for you do several if not more than six at a time...the reason being...you know the reason and by the time you need a card you know the story...heart crushing. Make this a major project at a time...then take a break. I did it my church and learned to save my nerves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #13  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeddmmView Post
Thank you! An OSW sheet would be a good idea (I've got lots of wheels) and I did find quite a few color schemes that could be used when searching through the gallery under just "sympathy". The seashore/shells idea would be a good one to go with this time around since one lady designed a card using the footprints verse and it's summertime.
You're welcome (and thank you for the comments you left; it was a nice surprise!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Terry.....You're Welcome! I feel children may not truly understand what death is or means. You never know what their parents have told them, so you do need to be careful in sending a card to children about particular subjects.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisView Post
God be with you doing these cards. I have one suggestion and although I do one personal card at a time....for you do several if not more than six at a time...the reason being...you know the reason and by the time you need a card you know the story...heart crushing. Make this a major project at a time...then take a break. I did it my church and learned to save my nerves.
I can only imagine what you would go thru if you know the circumstances before you make the card for that particular occasion. I just make the cards, I don't have to write the messages. I was told to make very generic cards with blank insides.

The lady that headed up this ministry was an SU demo who moved across the country in December and I've only been filling in every other month so that they keep a good supply on hand until someone steps forward to provide leadership. Last session we made 240 cards in 1-1/2 hrs with only 5 ladies! Really shocked my socks off! I enjoy making cards as a rule but not when I HAVE to...iykwim?? I needed to take a break last month cause I really stress over getting things together especially for those ladies that want to help but know next to nothing about card making. It certainly requires a LOT of patience to let them do it their way even if I think it could be done differently. Just as long as it looks OK when done, I need to be cool with that .

I had only attended 2 previous sessions with this ministry before the leader had moved so I've been kind of lost with preparations for a large group but SCS galleries have provided so many wonderful examples that I have shamelessly copied! (I do let all the ladies know where I get the inspiration though!) And I did attend 2 shoebox swaps recently so I at least understood the benefits of having everything precut and all they have to do is tape together and stamp some things before taping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post

Patti
I am in a group and we have several Ronald McDonald houses adopted that we donate cards and supplies for cardmaking/scrapbooking.
Sadly we also need to supply sympathy cards for parents that lose a child.
These are the hardest cards I have to make.
I do use the PaperTrey set I posted above for small children and older children I use nature/animal themed stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I used this for a dear friend with the butterfly as a symbol of resurrection but I think it would work well for children.

For Betty by allee's at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
I used this for a dear friend with the butterfly as a symbol of resurrection but I think it would work well for children.

For Betty by allee's at Splitcoaststampers
The butterfly image would be a good one to use...thank you for the tip. I have small stamps but I believe I can borrow one from a stamping friend for this project and with all the different colors of butterflies, it should work great!
Reply With Quote Likes