Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Great Hobby Lobby find...

I've been sitting on a bunch of Pearl Ex for some time now (thanks to the Micheals coupons) & have been looking for a binder (I guess) & last time I was in Hobby Lobby I was able to pick up some Gum Arabic in a powder form for $1.24 +tax. I just got finished trying it out w/ some of the super bronze pearl ex & it is beautiful. I colored an Oops peice of scrap & it was very fast drying & didn't smudge off when I rubbed with my finger or a napkin (when I rubbed VERY hard - it did leave a faint hint of color). Now I wonder how long the mixture will stay paint like (I made the mixture with water). I am so excited that I really must come up with some cool card to make. I'm thinking some snowy cards are in order...

BTW, the whole 'regret' thread has really inspired me to try to use some of all the stuff I've accumulated over the years... plus, I'm going to send in my demo paperwork on Monday, so I need to make it 'look' like I really do need more stuff...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 06:08 PM   #2  
Dyu
Stazon Splitcoast

I too started using some of my things after that thread. Congrats on the find!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Pearl Ex with Gum Arabic

It will stay paint like until the water evaporates but you can always reactivate it by adding more water. I like to make fairly decent sized amounts and let them dry out so I can use them the next time I want them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 04:43 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

What section did you find the gum arabic in? I've been looking but couldn't find it.

Paula O.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 05:01 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Default PearlEx

How much gum arabic to how much PearlEx?? I have the dry gum arabic also and need to know does that make a difference? I have an extra Paula O so let me know if you can't find it and I could send you one for trade or something??

ASAP..... Always Say A Prayer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 05:08 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up Directions for Pearl-Ex Paint

Does this Pearl-Ex/Gum Arabic "paint" look somewhat like twinkling H2O's? I haven't ever made it, but I have had these directions for quite awhile--see below. I can't recall where I got these directions, but it was off the web somewhere..... Maybe I'll try it soon.

Amy J. in Wisconsin

With your measuring spoon, put four scoops of pearlex into one of the wells in your palette. Now add one scoop of gum arabic powder- if you only have a large scoop- say a teaspoon- add one spoon of pearl-ex and a quarter spoon of gum arabic- the paints last a long time, so you don't need to make them up in huge quantities!

Mix the two powders together with a dry brush- try not to spill too much powder when you're doing this!

Now start adding water really slowly- either use a dropper, adding a couple of drops at a time, or add it with your spoon- just a quarter- half a spoon at a time- the mixture will go lumpy if the water's added too fast. Mix the water in well, and then add a bit more. Keep doing this until your mixture has the consistency of milk- then give it a final mixing, checking there are no lumps, and put it aside to dry out- after a couple of days you'll have a solid `block' a bit like a pan of watercolor paint.

If you can, try to remove your watercolor from the palette and turn it upside down- the watercolors seem to be sparklier if you use them from the bottom, because the mica particles sink when you add the water. Use them just like any other watercolor- wet your brush, rub it over the block to pick up color and paint!

If you break one of your watercolors, you can easily reconstitute it again- just grind or break it up as small as possible, then add water as before- I had to do this with some of mine because I used a ceramic palette and they wouldn't come out after they dried!

Another thing worth mentioning- you can use a marker pen with the watercolors instead of a wet paintbrush to get a deeper color
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Amy pretty much summed up what I did. I used a little spoon (thanks to too many trips to Coldstone Creamery) put 4 same sized scoops of pearl ex & 1 scoop of dry gum arabic, mixed & added 1 scoop of water, stirred slowly. I am mixing them in old photo film canisters, but I need some more, I like how I can seal them, but I think I read somewhere that if you don't let them evaporate then you will get mold, I'm going to have to try to find out....

Paula O.: I found the stuff in the very back of the store in a big clearance bin, they had a lot of brillance pads & stamps & other related art stuff. I did have to dig a bit, but was quite pleased to find it all...
Reply With Quote Likes