Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: How often do you re-ink?
Once a month 1 1.64%
quarterly 10 16.39%
yearly 23 37.70%
never 27 44.26%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-inking

I've been stamping for almost a year, and have yet to re-ink a stamp pad. I'm just noticing that a few of them need it and I've never done it. How often do you re-ink?

- Krista
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2005, 01:44 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I wait until it's hard to ink my stamps up, then reink. I think it varies a lot. I seem to need to reink my Versamark pads most often.

--Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2005, 01:44 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't had to reink mine yet! I'll be interested to see how often others have had to reink their stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,125 Likes on 971 Posts

I re-ink when I need to. It all depends on how often I stamp, if others are using my ink, if I use one color a lot. But when I notice that it's getting hard to ink up a stamp, I figure it's time to add ink. I just add drops of ink to the pad (dye ink) until it starts to absorb slowly. When the pad is pretty dry, the ink will sink in really fast.

On pigment pads, you have to squish the ink into the pads with the tip of the refill bottle.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I re-ink alot. I have alot of stamp camps and I use alot of ink. I also like a nice dark, true color. I notice the colors do not look so vibrant when the pad hasn't been inked in awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 05:43 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Default just buy a new ink pad

It's not as if you can't ever get a new inkpad. I have a few re-inkers, and I rarely use them. Initially I purchased them with the idea it would extend the life of the pads that I have. Then I got to thinking I was being penny wise but pound foolish with this practice.

I prefer just to buy a new inkpad when an old one has seen better days. I think its more cost effective. It's not as if I live in outer Siberia and have no access to new inkpads!

Has anyone EVER gotten to the bottom of a bottle of a reinker?

Colleen

Handstamped......because I can't draw
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 06:07 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I use my re-inkers ALOT. I use them for watercoloring instead of squeezing the pad. I use them to add color to Lumiere. Or to color my ribbon. I have replaced several of my re-inkers. It is great for the marble technique to squirt some in box and roll a marble in it then over the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 06:12 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

It can also vary from pad to pad. I've had some pads for over two years that I've never reinked, and some pads I bought I've had to reink them before I even used them. And I have two pads that I need to reink every time I use them. It seems to me that sometimes the lighter colors need to be reinked more than the bright and dark colors.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 09:50 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukeboxgraduate
Then I got to thinking I was being penny wise but pound foolish with this practice.
I don't follow your thinking on this one. Why did you decide it was foolish? I haven't noticed my pads wearing out and have re-inked several times.. for much less than new pads would ahve cost.

Quote:

Too many times to count! Not only have I re-inked many, many pads but I've used the reinkers for several other techniques.

Some of my inks I haven't even bothered to buy pads for.. I just go straight to the reinkers.

P.S. I didn't answer the poll because there was not a "when it's needed" choice.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 10:08 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,125 Likes on 971 Posts

Quote:

It's not as if you can't ever get a new inkpad. I have a few re-inkers, and I rarely use them. Initially I purchased them with the idea it would extend the life of the pads that I have. Then I got to thinking I was being penny wise but pound foolish with this practice.

I prefer just to buy a new inkpad when an old one has seen better days. I think its more cost effective. It's not as if I live in outer Siberia and have no access to new inkpads!

Colleen
I've never had an ink pad 'wear out'. So to me it makes much more sense to re-ink them. Unless you have a hard time finding refills for the pads you own. If they are SU pads, then you can easily obtain refills. If they are other brands, sometimes the stores that sell the pads don't stock refills. Then I could see why you might just buy a new pad. Otherwise, the refills are less costly & you can re-ink a pad over and over and over.

I have been stamping for 7+ years & yes, I've had to purchase some colors of refills several times, because I use those colors more than others. I also use the refills for other techniques, like shaving cream, polished stone, acetate & tissue, etc.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 04:59 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimestamper
I don't follow your thinking on this one. Why did you decide it was foolish? I haven't noticed my pads wearing out and have re-inked several times.. for much less than new pads would ahve cost.
I've never needed to re-ink my colored pads (I do re-ink black and versamark), so as a consequence, I have bottles of ink that I don't use.

I do have alternative uses for them, like splattering backgrounds, but for the most part, the pads are enough to meet my needs

The way new colors are rotated in and out on a regular basis, by the time a pad runs out, I can either replace it with a brand new one, or it's retired and I really don't want it anymore anyways.

If I didn't have access to new pads, I could see the need for the reinkers. But as it stands right now, for me, I won't be adding to the reinkers I already own, but I will get more pads and maybe the markers too :rolleyes:

Colleen

Handstamped......because I can't draw
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 05:35 AM   #12  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I re-ink as needed. I think my red gets reinked the most b/c I LOVE red, and it is used so often for holidays. I do like the reinkers for different uses, but for watercoloring now I use the watercolor crayons, so they have been used less this year than last.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 05:55 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I've had my inkpads for anywhere between 2 years and 18 months, and I've only reinked two pads - Ballet Blue and Pale Plum. The Pale Plum definitely wasn't due to using it a lot - it just seemed hard to get ink on the stamp and it was SO faint. Don't know if it's just the color, though. I haven't tried it since I reinked it though.

About buying new pads - sometimes I've seen pads look really GROSS (my upline has some <g>). If the linen or foam or whatever looks bad and is worn and stained w/ other colors, then I'd opt for a new pad. But all my pads seem to be in really good shape, so I'm just reinking as needed. So far, that hasn't been too much!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 07:17 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamp'n In The Light

Received 279 Likes on 192 Posts

I re-ink as needed. The colors I use a lot get re-inked a lot. Others have yet to need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 08:42 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Colleen
Interesting!

Yes, I've gotten to the bottom of a reinker and had to purchase more reinkers for favorite, oft used colors. In the end, this has been more cost effective than replacing an otherwise good pad. I've never actually worn a pad out--the cover might look bad, because of ink stains, but the pad itself lasts for, well, probably ever, unless something outside of normal stamping use were to damage it/render it useless . . . ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

I voted that I never re-ink, but I actuallly just bought two reinkers for the two drying pads I have. These are the only two pads I have that have shown signs of drying in two years.

I'll end up getting all the reinkers because my ink pad storage has spots made just for them and it kind of bugs me...okay, really bugs me..that those spots are all empty. We all have OCD in some way, right???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #17  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I reink all the time as needed. I also offer free reinking to my customers though only a couple have taken advantage of it. I have replaced my black pads becasue they got squished down in the middle while the edges were still higher and that drove me crazy. I replaced olive for the same reason. It was hard to ink large stamps with the middle squished down. I have about 36 colors of reinkers and get a couple more with each order.
Reply With Quote Likes