Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going away - what to take???

I am about to leave home until mid-September. I will be driving to my final destination, about 700 miles away.

Last year when we went, I took tons (my husband says literally!) of stamping and scrapbooking stuff - punches, paper, stamps, pads, markers, scissors, etc. Hubby just told me that our load will be MUCH lighter this year - yikes! The van was pretty loaded down and it was hot and he was afraid of overheating the engine (and it is expected to be hot next week when we are travelling!) I had already planned on most of the above plus Cuttlebug and the dies and folders. I will be visiting my mom, who also stamps, but doesn't have any supplies - I always bring them! Any suggestions on how to cut down? As far as I know, there aren't any sources nearby (and goodness knows, I hate to buy anything as I already have soooo much here!) Guess I could always pack a box or 2 and ship them to me, although I hate to do that!

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Would you have time to stamp out some images? I know until September is a long time. But it would cut down on it a little. Then you wouldn't have to take all the stamps and inks. You would just have to take images. Or you could take the stamps that you would be using the most and then stamp the images of those that you will not use that much. Also, you could do the thing of sending them out there. Get a flat rate box and fill as full as you feel comfortable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

do you have stampin spots? Might be much smaller to take, and they work well for everything except background stamps. That is so hard trying to figure out what to take and what not to take..yikes!! And that is a LONG time to be without stamp stuff! Will there be any stampers that are close to you that you can borrow supplies from? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I feel your pain. It always takes me longer to pack my stampin/scrapping stuff than it does to pack my clothes. I can't help you. I always take too much stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, this might seem silly but the flat rate boxes ARE fairly inexpensive and can be packed as tight and as heavy as you want/can for about $8-$9, plus the boxes are free at the post office. That's what I would do.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Hi, how about acrylic stamps. They are so much lighter to pack, but I don't think they'd do well in a hot card. The spots are a good idea. Take one trimmer, and your CB and dies and embossing folders. If you don't have acrylics, take fall and winter stamps. You will be ahead of the game for the fall/winter season. Only take the colors of paper that you will use. I took too much for our 5 wks away, then last year, I took too little. Forgot pencils or markers. I hate to have to buy stuff when we're away. How about teh Take 10 cards with pretty scrapbook paper instead of stamping? It would cut down on supplies. Just a couple suggestions. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3View Post
do you have stampin spots? Might be much smaller to take, and they work well for everything except background stamps. That is so hard trying to figure out what to take and what not to take..yikes!! And that is a LONG time to be without stamp stuff! Will there be any stampers that are close to you that you can borrow supplies from? LOL

Yup, I have spots to take.

Unfortunately we are headed to an isolated area, where there are very few neighbors, and many of them are renters for a week or so at a time. "Town" is about 20 minutes away and there are no stamping stores I know of nearby!

At least I am not flying and limited so much more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaxView Post
The van was pretty loaded down and it was hot and he was afraid of overheating the engine (and it is expected to be hot next week when we are travelling!) I had already planned on most of the above plus Cuttlebug and the dies and folders. Thanks for any help/suggestions!
Ok, just have to tell you this, we took a 10 day trip to Florida and with a mini van and 6 people, we rented one of these:
http://www.uhaul.com/trailers/
check out the sports trailer on the far right hand side, it is NOTHING like the old fashioned square trailers that U-Haul rents. It was such a lifesaver, it was well worth it for us. We did round trip with it, but I know you can also do one way. It cost us about 200 dollars for the whole trip, but SOOO worth it. It holds SOOO much stuff, and towing it behind our minivan you never even knew it was there. DH had the minivan up to 90 at one point and you never even felt it. We are wanting to buy one of these but I guess U-Haul has a patent on these and will only rent one. Well worth the investment. DH got a hidden hitch kit and installed it on our van and it was superb. We totally loved this. Might be just what you are looking for to carry extra stuff without the extra room in the van. I highly recommend this to anyone going on vacation, it has sooo much more room then say a roof-top carrier and yet you don't feel like a FREAK pulling it behind you. People were commenting EVERYWHERE we went on how neat it was and how small and such. It was soo roomy. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

If you're bringing a CB and dies, I would leave all the punches behind (except for two or three, like the ticket corner rounder, word window, etc). If you have embellishments like Prima flowers, bring those instead of a flower punch.

Instead of bringing all your cardstock and patterned papers, how about bringing along just two colour families of SU paper and a generous selection of PP that might go with it. Or, if you have other brands of CS you love, like Bazzill, I would bring along some variety packs of Bazzill 12x12 and collections of ie. Basic Grey PP that coordinates.

If you've got some scrapping kits, like those fab ones from SEI, you could try relying predominantly on those. They're great because they come with everything from background papers to embellishments. You could also make up some scrapping kits and just follow what other companies put in their premade kits.

It might be very helpful for your planning if you had a container like a Rubbermaid or a suitcase that you could use to limit yourself into. I would start by putting the things you definitely want to bring (at this point, your CB and dies) in the container, then go through your other supplies category by category. For example, place all the trimmers and regular scissors you'd like to bring out on the table and ask yourself if you really need to bring your Genesis trimmer, or if you would be happier to be able to fit more paper and get by with just your Fiskars triple track, Carl rotary trimmer, and fabric scissors.

You could also try the container thing with your papers; maybe bring only the paper that will fit into one of those big 12x12 accordian file folders from Generations, and a second letter-sized folder for your 8.5x11 cardmaking supplies.

Just some ideas -- good luck packing for your big trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryEileenView Post
Hi, how about acrylic stamps. They are so much lighter to pack, but I don't think they'd do well in a hot card. The spots are a good idea. Take one trimmer, and your CB and dies and embossing folders. If you don't have acrylics, take fall and winter stamps. You will be ahead of the game for the fall/winter season. Only take the colors of paper that you will use. I took too much for our 5 wks away, then last year, I took too little. Forgot pencils or markers. I hate to have to buy stuff when we're away. How about teh Take 10 cards with pretty scrapbook paper instead of stamping? It would cut down on supplies. Just a couple suggestions. Eileen

I do have my acrylics and unmounted rubber packed (and the acrylic blocks too) although my collection of those is limited! I just unearthed (hanging my head) the Picture show stamps I bought at the Ocean City show where we met and they will be gong along too!

Also my Tapestry peg stamps are packed. I think my mom will have a lot of fun with those!

My trimmer is the 6 inch base Tonic, which fortunately is light weight!

I have my 'bug and folders and dies in a Rubbermaid tote - rather compact, but also heavy! There is even room in the tote for more, but it's gotta be light!

By the way, the car won't be hot inside (hubby loves the ac on high!), it's the engine overheating he is worried about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by austamperView Post
Ok, this might seem silly but the flat rate boxes ARE fairly inexpensive and can be packed as tight and as heavy as you want/can for about $8-$9, plus the boxes are free at the post office. That's what I would do.
as much as I hate to let my stuff out of my sight/hands, I am thinking more and more that this is a great idea! (at least for heavy stuff that I can fit in!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3View Post
Ok, just have to tell you this, we took a 10 day trip to Florida and with a mini van and 6 people, we rented one of these:
http://www.uhaul.com/trailers/
check out the sports trailer on the far right hand side, it is NOTHING like the old fashioned square trailers that U-Haul rents. It was such a lifesaver, it was well worth it for us. We did round trip with it, but I know you can also do one way. It cost us about 200 dollars for the whole trip, but SOOO worth it. It holds SOOO much stuff, and towing it behind our minivan you never even knew it was there. DH had the minivan up to 90 at one point and you never even felt it. We are wanting to buy one of these but I guess U-Haul has a patent on these and will only rent one. Well worth the investment. DH got a hidden hitch kit and installed it on our van and it was superb. We totally loved this. Might be just what you are looking for to carry extra stuff without the extra room in the van. I highly recommend this to anyone going on vacation, it has sooo much more room then say a roof-top carrier and yet you don't feel like a FREAK pulling it behind you. People were commenting EVERYWHERE we went on how neat it was and how small and such. It was soo roomy. Just a thought.
This sounds great, but since it is just hubby and I and my stuff (he is gonna fly back so I can keep the van there), I don't think it is really an option!

When I was in college (a hundred years ago!) my dad bought an old U-Haul, added a few inches in length (the 8 foot trailer would not hold a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood) and painted it light blue. They used it for many many years and loaned it to loads of folks as well, before they sold it. So, U-Haul used to sell their old ones years ago... (but they were the ones they were not going to be using anymore, not the cool newer ones...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
If you're bringing a CB and dies, I would leave all the punches behind (except for two or three, like the ticket corner rounder, word window, etc). If you have embellishments like Prima flowers, bring those instead of a flower punch.

Instead of bringing all your cardstock and patterned papers, how about bringing along just two colour families of SU paper and a generous selection of PP that might go with it. Or, if you have other brands of CS you love, like Bazzill, I would bring along some variety packs of Bazzill 12x12 and collections of ie. Basic Grey PP that coordinates.

If you've got some scrapping kits, like those fab ones from SEI, you could try relying predominantly on those. They're great because they come with everything from background papers to embellishments. You could also make up some scrapping kits and just follow what other companies put in their premade kits.

It might be very helpful for your planning if you had a container like a Rubbermaid or a suitcase that you could use to limit yourself into. I would start by putting the things you definitely want to bring (at this point, your CB and dies) in the container, then go through your other supplies category by category. For example, place all the trimmers and regular scissors you'd like to bring out on the table and ask yourself if you really need to bring your Genesis trimmer, or if you would be happier to be able to fit more paper and get by with just your Fiskars triple track, Carl rotary trimmer, and fabric scissors.

You could also try the container thing with your papers; maybe bring only the paper that will fit into one of those big 12x12 accordian file folders from Generations, and a second letter-sized folder for your 8.5x11 cardmaking supplies.

Just some ideas -- good luck packing for your big trip!

I am only planning on taking 2 ovals (plain and scalloped), word window, ticket corner, 2 tags and corner rounder.

I had forgot (gasp!) to pack the primas - will pull some from each bottle for a good assortment! Thanks!!!

I have my Tonic 6 inch base trimmer, a pair of regular scissors and a deckle edge pair of scissors.

I'm still working on/thinking about paper and card stock!

Thanks for your ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

WOW! Now bringing my crafts along on vacation is something I have never thought of... I guess that is cause our car is usually packed full of kids toys instead. LMAO! You think my DH would let me have a small area to pack stamping stuff in for our vacation in Aug? I may have to start begging now though...

Oh and as for a suggestion for space... Buy one of those cartop storage things!!! We bought one years ago and it has been well worth the money. We're military and have 3 kids, so financially we have to drive for vacations, and it's quite a distance to visit family. We seriously pack that cartop thing full and then the van isn't as crowded for us. And on our moves when we want to bring all we need with us it has allowed us to take along much more 'personal' items and not have to worry about the movers loosing things that are irreplacable. Seriously it has been well worth the cost!!! Get a hardshell one though, the softshells are not as good and don't last as long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGeelanView Post
WOW! Now bringing my crafts along on vacation is something I have never thought of... I guess that is cause our car is usually packed full of kids toys instead. LMAO! You think my DH would let me have a small area to pack stamping stuff in for our vacation in Aug? I may have to start begging now though...

Oh and as for a suggestion for space... Buy one of those cartop storage things!!! We bought one years ago and it has been well worth the money. We're military and have 3 kids, so financially we have to drive for vacations, and it's quite a distance to visit family. We seriously pack that cartop thing full and then the van isn't as crowded for us. And on our moves when we want to bring all we need with us it has allowed us to take along much more 'personal' items and not have to worry about the movers loosing things that are irreplacable. Seriously it has been well worth the cost!!! Get a hardshell one though, the softshells are not as good and don't last as long.

We do have one of those. But the problem is not space, but weight, so putting it on top won't help!

I always take crafty stuff on vacation, even if only cross stitch! But this is nearly 3 months and I HAVE to have more stuff than my cross stitch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Try to limit yourself by space. Like... I can take the rubbermaid tote and one carry bag. That's it. THen if it doesn't fit in those, re-evaluate and decide differently.

Make sure anything Mom has, you don't take.

Pack based on projects instead of a little bit of everything.

Check out some of the limited supply challenges and do a bunch of those.

All that said, I feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

It might be too late for this suggestion, but I took a ton of stuff with me last vacation and still didn't have what I need. Next time I'll have the completed designs done, know exactly which stamps I'll use, inks and paper and then make up kits for each card design that I want to work on, so I'd just have to stamp, color and put them together.

The roof top carrier is a must have too!! Other wise we couldn't take a deep breath in the van. We traveled with 3dogs, and a cat! ;o))

Have a safe trip! Karen

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolynpView Post
Try to limit yourself by space. Like... I can take the rubbermaid tote and one carry bag. That's it. THen if it doesn't fit in those, re-evaluate and decide differently.

Make sure anything Mom has, you don't take.

Pack based on projects instead of a little bit of everything.

Check out some of the limited supply challenges and do a bunch of those.

All that said, I feel your pain.

Unfortunately, mom has very little and what she does have will not be there (her summer vacation cottage) but rather her main home and she is flying, so it is all up to me to bring the goodies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we went to Mexico, I brought a set of the Michael's clear stamps, markers, blender pen, watercolor tray, my EZ Mounted "Wild About You" SU set and card stock that I pre-scored before the trip.

But... This was only for a week. I don't know what I would pack to take with me for a few months.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

It can be very inspiring to actually try to limit yourself to one stamp set & design as many different cards using that set as possible . . . could you decide to limit yourself (again for creative purposes) to one color family. Make sure to take a black stamp pad and colored pencils. Coloring is so fun.

I also like the idea of the limited supply challenges . . .

All of this spoken by someone who can hardly pack to go to her Tuesday night stamping group!! I need my whole room of supplies just to make a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaxView Post
as much as I hate to let my stuff out of my sight/hands, I am thinking more and more that this is a great idea! (at least for heavy stuff that I can fit in!)
Make SURE that you insure the boxes for what's inside. Make a good list!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Default wow

i never thought to bring my stuff with me either...just my camera. i have that with me everywhere i go. i actually drive my hubby crazy with all the pictures i take....but i'm going away in 2 weeks and it's only a 6 hour ride but i think i'm gonna bring page protectors and place the pictuers i want to do in them with the papers and embelishments. but the hard party is we're going camping in a tent...so i'm not sure how much scrapping i'm gonna get done...but we'll see i can try...but i too have a hard time pulling all my stuff together on the 2 night a month that i get together with some friends...my husband calls it an addiction...it doesn't help that my sister in law sells close to my heart.... but now you all have my brain going to see what i should bring...caroline
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I were going to be gone for a week, no I probably wouldn't take anything with me. In the OP's situation of being gone for 3 months... yeah I'd have to take some things too!

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes