Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question future SU punches?

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the current SU punches in the next big catalog? I am planning to make a big SU puchase at my stamping group in May, since I'm the hostess that month. I was planning to purchase the complete marker set, but now that the colors are changing I am going to wait until July to buy those. Now I'm thinking about building my punch collection, since I hardly have any. I don't want to do that, though, if the current punches will not coordinate with new stamp sets. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Miriam
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #2  
neglecting the kids and housework

Sorry we really don't know unless someone has heard something thru the grapevine. How late in May can you order?
Also you should know that there are some carry over items from the current mini that will be available and a new mini starts May 1. So while you may not be getting the markers or deciding on all the punches there are still loads that you can spend your money on...or am I projecting :lol:

Good luck with your decision. I hope you figure out what you wnat to do and that it works out great for you and your creating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

No, you're not projecting, LOL. I have found plenty in the summer mini to spend my money on. I just feel that my "collection" is really lacking in inks and punches and this would (theoretically) be a good time to rectify this. Oh well, I may just stock on up more stamps, cases, blocks, ribbon, and buttons!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I have no inside scoop and I'm not a demo, but I have been an SU customer for 13+ year. My experience tells me that if they produced a punch recently it will be available for more than the mini selling period and they will probably match up sets with those punches for the big catty. They may retire some of the larger black style punches, but I highly doubt they would go through the design and production phases of producing one of the newer gray punches only to sell that punch for only a few months. It just wouldn't make business sense. I know the large flower and the bird, etc. have been wildly popular.

Again, I know nothing from the "inside" and my psychic abilities ain't what they used to be *ha*. But... I'd feel confident getting any of the newer punches since you have such a great opportunity to do so. Besides, if you like it and will use it, why not get em? (sorry, shameless enabler)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 02:55 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Your best bet, if you don't have many punches, is to stick to the basics. I have over 210 punches and the ones I use the most are the basic circles. I also think the word window punch is a must have. Then choose whatever you think you will actually use and not just what works with a particular set that may or may not be around for a while. I have found in my 6+ years as a SU customer that the punches stay around for a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 05:01 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

All of the punches from the Occasions mini will be carrying over! We know that for sure. I LOVE the xl fancy flower punch and the bird punch! I'm planning on getting the jewelry tag punch too! I doubt they will retire ALL of the punches in the big catty...they always retire a few but I guess we will find out next month!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

If you don't have any punches, for now, you might want to order one of the basic shapes in the current black style and then a fun shape in the new compact style from the minis.

(I'm loving the new style, and am holding off on ordering some of the older ones, just in case they are offered in the compact style in the new catty.)

And here's another thought for your big order during your hostess month, if you have the Big Shot: some Big Shot dies or Texturz plates.

I get such a kick out of making stuff out of the die cuts--kinda like punch art on a larger scale.

So if punch art is one of the things that has you wanting the punches, you might really enjoy adding to your die collection too.

Last edited by hollylogic; 04-30-2010 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

My 10-Club party is in less than a week and there is soooo much I want to get I'm at a loss for what to really order! I have all the punches I want, plus I have cricut, so I don't buy many punches, I've got all my ink pads, markers, etc., and I'm still torn about the new colors, so I'm thinking of just ordering a few stamp sets from the mini and then getting my tower for my ink pads.

Decisions, decisions........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I do have the big shot, and don't have many dies or plates. I am planning to order the top note. Any other recommendations? I like the ease of using a punch vs. running the cs through the BS. (am I lazy?!) I have really wanted the word window and the medium oval punch. I'll be bummed if I order them and then they release them in the new format. But, then again I will have them to use for a couple of months. Maybe that's what I'll do.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I use my punches a lot! I use the scallop circle and straight scallop the most. I also use my two square punches a lot. I love my flower punches and I just got the tiny tag punch...I like my punches for ease of use. I have about 25. I use them just as often as my nesties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I love my punches and I think it is a great idea to build your collection. Usually there are only a handful of punches that retire and new ones come out. Unless you plan on buying every single one I think you will be safe. I would order the ones you like for sure to make sure they don't retire. The punches do coordinate with quite a few different stamp sets. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my punches. I have a lot. I also have Nesties and I wouldn't want to be w/o any of them. My fav SU punches are all the ovals and circles. I love how SU has made so many stamps to go with the punches. It was not my turn to be hostess until after Christmas in 09. I still got all the Christmas Tag stamps because I had every punch that the set used. If you want punches go for it. They give you a lot of creative leverage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by purlmomView Post
I do have the big shot, and don't have many dies or plates. I am planning to order the top note. Any other recommendations? I like the ease of using a punch vs. running the cs through the BS. (am I lazy?!) I have really wanted the word window and the medium oval punch. I'll be bummed if I order them and then they release them in the new format. But, then again I will have them to use for a couple of months. Maybe that's what I'll do.....
I also love the ease of using punches because they are faster and more accurate (for me at least) to punch out stamped images. Nothing stinks more than painstakingly colouring in an image only to have it slightly off centred after a trip through the BS.

If you're going for the Word Window punch grab the Modern Label punch as well. They look great together and are one of my favorite sentiment punches next to the Curly Label (which is a must if you got the Vintage Labels stamp set during SAB).

Happy spending!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
All of the punches from the Occasions mini will be carrying over! We know that for sure. I LOVE the xl fancy flower punch and the bird punch! I'm planning on getting the jewelry tag punch too! I doubt they will retire ALL of the punches in the big catty...they always retire a few but I guess we will find out next month!
Hmmmm....now I am intrigued...what is the jewelry tag punch...I thought I had all of the SU! punches but don't know about this one!???!?!?!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychkimView Post
Hmmmm....now I am intrigued...what is the jewelry tag punch...I thought I had all of the SU! punches but don't know about this one!???!?!?!?
It was in the Holiday Mini...it's a tiny little tag and coordinates with the Tiny Tags set, which is also still available. You can still order all the punches from the Holiday mini, as well as the shimmer paints and the Tiny Tags set. The same with the Occasions Mini...all the punches can still be ordered as well as some of the stamp sets and a few other things.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
It was in the Holiday Mini...it's a tiny little tag and coordinates with the Tiny Tags set, which is also still available. You can still order all the punches from the Holiday mini, as well as the shimmer paints and the Tiny Tags set. The same with the Occasions Mini...all the punches can still be ordered as well as some of the stamp sets and a few other things.
Thank you Jan! Here is a link of a card that uses it. Mine just shipped last night so won't be here for around 5-7 days:-( This is a super cute card BTW!

Rustic Bouquet Bunch by zgrandma at Splitcoaststampers

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes