Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Future sought after retired SU stamps, let's speculate!

Some retired Stampin' Up stamps can't fetch a seller the original price, even new in a package. Other retired Stampin' Up stamps cause eBayer to bid beyond reason.

What current Stampin' Up stamp sets do you think will be the most sought after stamps after their retirement? I'd also love to hear why if you like to share your thoughts with the rest of us.

For those long-time SU demos, do you see a correlation between purchasing current and purchasing retired? For instance, do the most popular current items become the most popular retired? Or are the ones most sought after those sets that were overlooked when they were current?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

In my experience, it is the sets that were less known (less popular), but more unique and only available for a short time that demand the highest prices after retirement.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdocView Post
In my experience, it is the sets that were less known (less popular), but more unique and only available for a short time that demand the highest prices after retirement.
I have to agree with Kim. The more generic ones, seem to be the dime a dozen sets. Sets with a specific, narrow theme that are only available for a short time are more sought after. Think Tractor Time and the Scouting Sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #4  

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I was going to say almost the same thing. Well Scripted, for example- that was only available in a mini catalog and it's selling for much more on ebay now that is has been retired. At one point it was fecthing as much at $60- it's doesn't seem to be that high priced now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #5  

You know this thread got me to looking at some of the completed listings on ebay and I just saw that a Branch Out set sold for just over $100!

BTW- that was another set that was sold in a mini catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Sounds like we need to be paying attention to the minis!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Yep, the minis that don't carry over tend to be the hot commodities. I think the chocolate stamp set from the Occasions mini will be a big seller one day.

I have a few of the "rare" retired sets that I'm selling soon. Fly Fishing, Love Bakes, Home and Heart, Harvest of Friendship, Coast to Coast, English Cottage, Beauty of Life. Some of those sets are from 1998! Some of these I just had to have when I was in my collecting phase. Well, no more collecting for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Mary Rose:

I first tried my hand at stamping in 1996. It last about a year. During that time I bought Love Bakes and got quite a bit of use out of it. I'm just sorry that I didn't buy the old fashioned stove that was also available from the same catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Yep, the minis that don't carry over tend to be the hot commodities. I think the chocolate stamp set from the Occasions mini will be a big seller one day.

I have a few of the "rare" retired sets that I'm selling soon. Fly Fishing, Love Bakes, Home and Heart, Harvest of Friendship, Coast to Coast, English Cottage, Beauty of Life. Some of those sets are from 1998! Some of these I just had to have when I was in my collecting phase. Well, no more collecting for me!
I had many of them, too, Mary Rose - this really brings back memories!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Some sets seem to go through phases of desirability. I saw that Old World Map went for $35 this spring on eBay, but by the time I got mine back from my friend, there were a bunch more posted and the going price was much lower.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I was a Stampin' Up! demo YEARS ago...like 1990 something. I had sets that I tried to sell at a LSS Garage Sell this summer. No matter what size the set I put $5 on it. I even had the old catalog and copied the page it was on so they could see the original price. I still have six sets left and have decided they are pretty cute and I'll just hang onto them. I thought they would all go like hot cakes. I think stamping has changed so much since I began that the sets I have aren't really what people are looking for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Wow I have Branch Out - ordered it at the last minute on a whim. Maybe I should think about selling it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I had many of them, too, Mary Rose - this really brings back memories!
Now you know why I'm purging, Nancy! It is long past time that these sets found new homes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
You know this thread got me to looking at some of the completed listings on ebay and I just saw that a Branch Out set sold for just over $100!

BTW- that was another set that was sold in a mini catalog.
It was also in the main catty-2009. I always had wished I gotten it. I thought it would be around for longer than it was. A kind angel of a lady and fellow SCS stamper RAC'd this lovely set to me about a month ago. I about fell over with shock and love for her! I think it was brand new still. I just finished 7 thank you's with that lovely tree! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I do have the chocolate set from last winter's mini and I love it. I thought it and Valentine Defined and Sew Suite would carry over (nope). I've yet to use SS. I just adore it, but it needs some sentiments. I thought it strange that they kept the sewing themed wheel but not the sewing set???? Valentine Defined is so versitile and I'd love to use it for workshops...oh, well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would have bought that Branch Out set if it had been made available here in Australia, but rules say I was not allowed to buy it when it was current and so I miss out. Same with the Baby Blossoms set. I ended up buying a set similar to the Branch Out set from a different company. Haven't found something similar to the Baby Blossoms yet. And I regret not buying Roses In Winter. Can you tell I like two step stamping?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

The reason I posted this thread is because I saw a stamp set that I had to have: All Aboard. I love old steam engines and I thought the stamp would be perfect for a man's card. I ended up paying $26 plus $6 shipping for a set that cost only $22 new. At first, I was kicking myself for paying so much. But then, I found another set that I'd like to have listed on Etsy for nearly $150! It's Wild West. If it sells--and I'm doubtful that it will--I bet it is a record breaker for a used stamp set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 02:07 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
I was a Stampin' Up! demo YEARS ago...like 1990 something. I had sets that I tried to sell at a LSS Garage Sell this summer. No matter what size the set I put $5 on it. I even had the old catalog and copied the page it was on so they could see the original price. I still have six sets left and have decided they are pretty cute and I'll just hang onto them. I thought they would all go like hot cakes. I think stamping has changed so much since I began that the sets I have aren't really what people are looking for now.
I am an ebay seller of mostly retired stampin up sets. The sets that were patch work designs don't sell. If you look at the really old sets some had classic designs and very good art and others look really dated. I always look at stamps and pick out ones that have a classic design. There are quite a few stampin up sets you can hardly give away such as the ones that look like anyone could draw it. Those are great for kids to use and not much else!

When I saw the ship set "open sea" and the nautical expedition paper in the summer mini, I was very excited. I bought about 8 open sea sets. Then I see it was carried over as a write in for the next year. That one will be fetching good money. I didn't buy branch out. That one surprises me.

I was a hobby demo in 2003 to 2005. So many of those sets now sell for more than their original prices. They were well done and classic. Many of them had limited appeal.. the dinasaurs, whales, peacocks, hunting dogs, fancy cats, and of course dream catchers and wild west. I absolutely hate some of the current artists they use. I dislike the longfellows, sick dog and all those square headed animals. I sold many sets from that time when I needed money and was amazed to get more than I had paid for them.

Kliban rubber stamps fetch huge prices. They are funny and have a wide appeal. Scarcity drives the price up. The PSX botanical series often sell for $30 each per stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
The reason I posted this thread is because I saw a stamp set that I had to have: All Aboard. I love old steam engines and I thought the stamp would be perfect for a man's card. I ended up paying $26 plus $6 shipping for a set that cost only $22 new. At first, I was kicking myself for paying so much. But then, I found another set that I'd like to have listed on Etsy for nearly $150! It's Wild West. If it sells--and I'm doubtful that it will--I bet it is a record breaker for a used stamp set.
I really don't think that was so bad of a price for a set you really wanted. ENJOY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I really don't think that was so bad of a price for a set you really wanted. ENJOY!
You got a great deal on the All Aboard set! Whatever something sold for new has nothing to do with resell value! You don't see many current stampin up sets of 17 to 20 wood stamps like you used to. The larger alphabet sets cost $42 up right? Stampin up has tried to keep prices down by having smaller sets. $150 is not a record for sale of a retired set and yes, that wild west set will sell. There are quite a few sets that have sold for $100 up.. summertime, love bakes, dream catcher. The market is slow right now and ebay prices are therefore down. It's a good time to find sets you want.

Check out used prices for PSX Botanicals and the Kliban rubber stamps! Those are for one stamp, not a set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 04:18 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Oh no Wild West is like the HIGHEST priced used stamp set out there that I Have seen along with Equestrine Dream ( think that is the name)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with Holly. It all depends on if the image is still fresh. Some of the stamps that are a bit dated don't seem to sell where as classic images are always a good buy. I think it really just depends on how much someone really wanted that particular image.

I have some sets that I will never sell because you just can't fnd an artist with the same style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I have actually seen Wild West end at $199 on Ebay years ago!! $150 is high now, but if someone is desperate, they will pay it.

About 4 years ago I saw an ad on Craigslist for a *Box of Stamps* for $200. This box was the size of a small coffee table, and some guy was selling off his dad's...yes DAD's...old crafting supplies after he passed away. Well I asked for a photo, and he promptly emailed me one...laying on top of the box were a few rare sets I recognized like Wolf, Yukon, Tractor Time and some others, so I drove straight over there and paid full price.

I found a TON of super rare sets in that box and after ebay-ing each set, I had almost $2000 in my paypal account! Like hitting the jackpot!!

I always think of that though...like how does anyone know what's going to be a hit. But I do agree...the VERY themed ones seem to go the highest...like Firemen, Horses, Dragons, Scouts, Farms, Penguins... you know...the type of stamps where you know what you want but can't find it anywhere, and when you do, you will overpay...some people just have way more funds behind them and can overpay way more than most of us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Wow Cher, what afind! I've found some unusual sets when I went out to farm land outside the Twin Cities but probably only doubled my money, and that after about 150 mile round trip. I've gone to someone's house on craigslist and won't do that again. What she wanted was way too much. I figure I have to be able to sell it for at least twice to make money on ebay after the fees and all my time listing, searching and packaging.

On the other end, I have a sister messier by far than I am. Has a very dirty house. She handed me this shoe box size of stamps once, all out of cases and very very stained and wondered if I could sell them on ebay? hah! They were worthless. I said to keep them for the kids.

Equestrian dream is only about $40 now on ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyMn1View Post
Wow Cher, what afind! I've found some unusual sets when I went out to farm land outside the Twin Cities but probably only doubled my money, and that after about 150 mile round trip. I've gone to someone's house on craigslist and won't do that again. What she wanted was way too much. I figure I have to be able to sell it for at least twice to make money on ebay after the fees and all my time listing, searching and packaging.

On the other end, I have a sister messier by far than I am. Has a very dirty house. She handed me this shoe box size of stamps once, all out of cases and very very stained and wondered if I could sell them on ebay? hah! They were worthless. I said to keep them for the kids.

Equestrian dream is only about $40 now on ebay.
You probably don't wanna hear this Holly, but I picked up my box downtown St Paul...LOL...you were probably closer than me!

You know things really have changed a lot though...a few years ago when I got my lucky box, there were a lot more deals and people were paying way more for the rare sets on Ebay...which pulled all the rare sets out of the woodwork, so the supply is catching up to the demand...I know a few of my sets went over $75, and now I see the same ones are like you say...$40. And on CL people will list each set separately for more than it's worth on Ebay.

I actually sold Penguin Paradise for $65 because I would rather have the cash, and then re-bought it last summer for $25. Buy low, sell high. LOL

What I think is crazy is that punches are doing better than many stamp sets! I saw the Key Tag punch go over $60 last winter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

My heart would have been racing as I ran to the bank to get cash to buy that box of rubber gold!

That man should have done a little research first! I can imagine if I died suddenly my lawyer daugher would just have some truck come pick up all my craft things and take them away. I have as much sewing things as I do paper crafting.

Actually if you just have to have the motorcycle, antique car or truck sets for a card you can always buy them, use it for what you want and then resell it.

I was sick when I saw the clearance rack that they had with the key tag and small star punches as I didn't have a dime to spare and then they were out! I took no chances this morning. I bought a whole lot of punches ... over 100 and then designer paper. I had lent out my only current catalog to a friend and it was a problem not to have it in front of me to figure out hostess dollars. I was happy I had a saved order with some things already on it as this was no time to figure out what ink refill I needed for example.

Last edited by HollyMn1; 10-01-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I was going to add that masculine sets tend to do well on the after market. I have All Aboard. I got it as it retired. It was not a cutsey train so it works well for vintage and masculine themes as well as being desirable for train enthusiasts. The more "niche" a set fits in, the more potential buyers it will have.

I was patient and eventually got Nuts n Bolts and Tool Time for about $20 each. But I saw those go well over $40 each on certain auctions. I will admit, I got an extra Power Up set, based on that experience.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes