Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2006, 04:21 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated with tiles; help please

I bought Rialto 4x4 tiles at Lowes. I stamped with stazon and colored with sharpies. I baked them for 20 minutes at 200 degrees. I tested them last night at a family party as coasters. The image was fine until I wiped them. The sharpie color came right off. Once I saw that I stopped wiping. Today I bought Folk art acrylic matte spray sealer. I couldn't find Krylon. Is there anything else I should be doing? Am I using the wrong supplies? Help!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I color mine with colored pencils, and I seal them with a clear spray paint. It's by Rust Oleun and it's called Painter's Touch Gloss Clear. You can find it in craft stores or hardware stores.
Sandy
www.stampsandy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I use Stazon and sharpies and never seal or bake them. And I have never had a problem with the image wiping off. Make sure the tiles are not coated or sealed. I am not sure what Rialto tiles are and how they are finished. I got mine at Home Depot, not sure what they are called but they are not shiny. They are smooth but with pock marks. Not sure how else to describe them.
Not sure what to suggest other than check the tile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2006, 04:57 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used Rialto tiles last year and made some nice coasters. I am still using mine everyday and the image is still there. I used Travel Post set but any vintage type one would work. We stamped with Basic Black and Basic Brown, heat set with the heat gun and then sprayed a couple of very light coats of crystal clear spray sealer. It is important not to spray so much sealer that it pools up or runs. I did not color them, but with the vintage type image, this worked fine. They kind of remind me of the old newspaper look. I used Rialto beige.
Hope that helps.
Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2006, 05:12 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Looks like I need to be taking a trip to home depot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStamp
I use Stazon and sharpies and never seal or bake them. And I have never had a problem with the image wiping off. Make sure the tiles are not coated or sealed. I am not sure what Rialto tiles are and how they are finished. I got mine at Home Depot, not sure what they are called but they are not shiny. They are smooth but with pock marks. Not sure how else to describe them.
Not sure what to suggest other than check the tile.
If they are what I'm thinking of...they are called "tumbled" tiles. I too have used them for coasters and had no problem with them I also wipe the tiles off with rubbing alcohol before I stamp on them. It removes any residue or finish on the tiles. HTH Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I posted this in a another thread about tiles that was in the forums today, but thought I would post it here also. I am attaching a picture of the tiles I get. They are from Home Depot, but I don't know the name. Wish I kept the box. I don't seal them or bake them. I do rinse them with water and let them dry before I stamp on them, since they are kind of dusty when you buy them.
Attached Thumbnails
Frustrated with tiles; help please-img_0446.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

And Joanne is right - they are "tumbled" tiles. But I think there is another name also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for all of your help. There is a finish on the tiles I am using, so I am going to try sealing them. If that doesn't work I will get the tiles in the boxes. I want to sell them in a show in a month, so I just want to be sure people aren't buying something that can wipe off. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 04:14 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default rialto tiles

I know this is a very late reply to this BUT for those of you researching tile coasters......the Rialto tiles that I tried are somewhat finished and they do NOT work well. The stamps slip and slide as you try to stamp on the tiles especially with stayzon and then the stayzon takes FOREVER to dry even when I heat set them the stayzon wiped off easily. I would go with the tried and true tumbled marble tiles....you'll just have to pick through the boxes and get the ones that aren't completely pitted and they shouldn't be shiny AT ALL. The Rialto tiles say "marble like".....not a good brand for this. When I use the tumbled marble tiles, the stayzon dries quickly w/ no need to heat set and it stays put when I color in with the versamarker...then go over with pastels/q-tip and spray with acrylic sealer (4-5) light coats and your good. The sealer really brightens up the pastels. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 06:11 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I did not have good luck with the Rialto tiles either but I find the Bottichino ones work well. I got them at Lowes they are in a box of 9 for about $6. There doesn't seem to be a coating on them like the Rialto ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 06:25 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busyb
I did not have good luck with the Rialto tiles either but I find the Bottichino ones work well. I got them at Lowes they are in a box of 9 for about $6. There doesn't seem to be a coating on them like the Rialto ones.
Ditto - the Rialto has some sort of finish on them while the Bottichino ones don't - they can be hard to find - at my Lowes the Bottochino ones are on the floor - i usually open a few boxes and make my own box of ones that don't have a lot of pitting in the center
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I used the Rialto for all of mine. I used staz on to stamp and mostly chalk ink to color. The sharpies worked on some and not on other. It does help to wipe them off before stamping. I baked mine to seal and I've been using one on my desk for several months and it has been fine. They are so much cheaper than the Bottichinos.
http://oolalasparkle.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes