Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2004, 11:48 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flattered? or Frustrated?

Should you be flattered or frustrated if someone posts a photo of one of your cards that they obviously copied off of your website or possibly off of someone else's (whom you gave permission to post) website? I mean it is not even a CASE but the same one. There is no question about it.

Am I just being silly?
Sherri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 11:53 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be annoyed and send a friendly email to that person asking her to remove your photo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 11:56 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I think it's ok, only if there isn't something on the website asking that people not copy and that the person posting it states that they got the idea from: (name of person they got idea from). I've gotten ideas from other cards in the gallery and will put "got idea from cards I saw in the gallery" or the person's name if I totally CASED it from someone. I don't really CASE things too much, but I use other people's ideas or techniques on my cards. I try to give credit if I know specifically that someone else gave me that idea through their work.

I would be flattered if they mention your name...but I can understand your frustration also because artists should be credited for their ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I misread your question! I didn't realize you said photo! I wouldn't be happy at all unless they gave you credit or asked your permission!

Sorry...that's a totally different story!

Although, SU allows us to put the pictures of the cards in their gallery for our websites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 12:04 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Default a little clarification

It wasn't ever on the SU site. And I wouldn't have a problem with them putting it on their website had they gotten it from the SU site, since that is the policy. There was no credit given, as a matter of fact there was no info. of any kind given.
I wouldn't even mind if they said they CASED it. I have seen some of mine on here before that people said they CASED and couldn't remember where. I think that's kind of funny. But, to copy someone's work off of another website and post it here is little over the top for me.

I just wanted to know if it was just me being prideful, which it probably is....
Sherri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 12:11 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I went to your SU site. I can see why someone would want to copy your creations! They're beautiful. Take it as a form of flattery. Hopefully the person who did it will read your post on SCS and know not to do that again without your permission first.
Member #7840!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 12:14 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I think that deliberately putting the actual photo of your card with their name on it is terrible! I would never think of doing anything like that! That's as bad as the thread about a swap where someone put their label over the orginal label and claimed it as theirs!

I would definitely confront the person who did this and if they still don't remove it or give you credit, then I would go to the website administrator and let them know.

As far as putting 'I don't know who to give credit to' to a card that is CASEd...I do that because I know that I've seen something similar to what I did in the gallery, but don't know who originally posted the card. I guess that's my way of giving credit, but being too lazy to scroll through all of the samples in the gallery to find the name of the person I got the idea from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2004, 12:15 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a practice I consider highly offensive and discourteous and it has happened to me.

Someone actually copied and pasted a photo of my faux porcelain bracelet, without asking permission and without giving credit to the artisan (me). It leads viewers to believe the owner of that site created it, when that is not the case.

I did email her privately to request it be removed and never received a reply.

This is now why I "watermark" ALL photos of my creations in an effort to avoid this happening in the future; to crop it out, they have to cut away portions of the photo itself and then you can't really see the sample fully.

Email her and request she remove it, if you feel inclined. I would.
Reply With Quote Likes