Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2005, 02:13 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Best attachments for the brayer?***

I'm really thinking of getting a brayer because of all the great things you can do with it but do I really need to buy the attachments or is it a matter of personal preference? What works the best for you?

My gallery keeps me sane >

See what I love to do!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 02:36 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just got a brayer and would love to know how to use it !!!

So far the only thing I've tried is the emboss resist technique with the rubber roller (using u.s. white cardstock and crystal clear embossing powder). Once you stamp the image with the versamark pad and emboss it, you let it cool a minute and then roll your brayer in whatever color pad you want (I've only used Classic, so I don't know how Craft works) and then roll it over the image. I had to repeat this a couple of times to get the coverage I wanted.

I did read somewhere on SCS that you should roll your brayer on scrap paper to change colors (so work from light to dark) because if you rinse between color changes you'll have to wait for it to dry completely.

Oh yeah, one more thing I tried in a class once was wrapping a rubber band around the acrylic roller and then roll that into your Classic pad (again, not sure about Craft :oops: ) and then roll this onto your cardstock. We used Garden Green and it looked like a grassy background.

I still like the emboss resist MUCH better !!! I'm planning on using it to make Easter eggs for a 6x6 page during an Easter class I'm having tonight. I'll let you know when I have a chance to scan the sample and post a picture of it so that you can see how cool the technique is !!!

HTH,
Myra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 02:58 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Default brayer

Myra thanks for the cool tips I bought one a while agp and still haven't used it yet.I don't have any sprectrum pads yet.I need to get me some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 03:07 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have the brayer with rubber attachment and it is great for inking up background stamps. I recently bought the plaid maker and was dissappointed b/c the rubber attachment doesn't work ,I think I need the foam one to do the PM. Other than the rubberband tech I do not know how else you would use the acrylic one. I'll be watching for more tips.

Join us in Buffalo on 4/28/12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 03:44 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Myra thanks for the cool tips I bought one a while agp and still haven't used it yet.I don't have any sprectrum pads yet.I need to get me some.
No problem !!! I have one spectrum pad, but I only tested it out. So far, I prefer to use the individual colors with my brayer (for now anyway).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 04:26 AM   #6  
PAPER SCAPER

Read through some of these posts and you'll get lots of ideas on the use of a brayer.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I have one that’s about four inches wide and it’s not as useful as my six inch wide roller. Friskars is the make of my six inch and the different rollers snap on like the one in the SU catalog which I see doesn’t have the size listed. I have four different design patterns plus the plain and you buy them separate and there are more patterns available than my four. I’ve never had a foam or acrylic but I like the uses I get from the rubber style. The wider gives a full coverage on most size cards that you'll be making which is something to think about before purchasing. I purchased the smaller one first and was disappointed in the coverage size.

Rox
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2005, 02:46 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I still like the emboss resist MUCH better !!! I'm planning on using it to make Easter eggs for a 6x6 page during an Easter class I'm having tonight. I'll let you know when I have a chance to scan the sample and post a picture of it so that you can see how cool the technique is !!!
Here is the picture of the 6x6 page I had mentioned on Wednesday. We used the brayer on the eggs with the emboss resist technique.
Attached Thumbnails
***Best attachments for the brayer?***-easter_class_-_6x6_page.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2005, 03:32 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

The only attachment I have used and love is the sponge. I use it a lot for a quick simple background. Just pick a color you like, roll it on whatever color, or white, you have chosen to go with it and there you go. Roll in different directions across your cs. Depending on what color you use and the color cardstock, the results can be dramatic to very subtle. If I just cannot think of a definite background, then I know this is where the sponge brayer is needed. I love it and would never give this attachment up.
I also use it to cover the canvas BG stamp, among others, I just cannot seem to get an even color on the canvas unless I use the spong brayer.
I don't use the other attachments but just might try some of the other hints I have seen here for the acrylic and rubber attachments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2005, 03:49 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

You do have to have the foam attachment if you want to use the plaid maker. I use the brayer a lot and even loaned it to the construction guys last week when they put my new tub surround in and needed to roll it... ha ha ha...It came in handy.
Reply With Quote Likes