Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #121  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathynruss
Wake up, nice thread! There has to be more stuff out there!
Ha, ha, this made me laugh.

Edited to add: not the more stuff out there part, the wake up nice thread part.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #122  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by straw
I just tried this tip, can't seem to get it to work. Does it have to be a SU eyelet?

Thanks
CC
Yes, I've heard it doesn't work with any eyelets but STampin'Up! ones. I do this with my punches all the time and after a few times you get the hang of it and it works wonderfully!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #123  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cut paper fast!

Our Office Max has some sort of fancy cutter that can make a perfect cut to a ream of paper (or cardstock)--for one dollar! You might want to check to see if your Office Max can do this for you. You can bring in a whole stack of different colored cardstock, and they can cut the whole thing in half for a dollar. Two cuts? Two dollars. Funny how that works. Hopefully, this can save you some time when prepping for workshops or shoebox swaps.

abcima
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2005, 06:38 PM   #124  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittypaws
When I get a new stamp set, I stamp each image on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper (you can get more than one stamp set on a page) and then label the name of the set on the page, then put this in a 3-ring binder. I can usually remember the large pieces, but this is particularly useful for some of the small images that come in a set that you might want to use as a background, etc. It's a lot easier to go through a 3-ring binder than rummaging through stamp sets. Works for me.
I feel totally stupid now. That's one of those "doh." I've been photocopying the sticker sheets or taking pictures of the stamp sets. I'm so glad I'm reading this thread. Thanks for the huge time saver!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2005, 04:45 AM   #125  
Matboard Maniac

At a stamping convention a few weeks ago the demonstrator said that bleach in a clear sealed container can explode. That's why bleach always comes in an opaque bottle. Light causes it to break down and create gases that could build up and explode.

For those who use unmounted stamps, use your acrylic block for a palette for watercoloring. Wipe your stamp pad across a corner or color with markers to mix your own colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2005, 07:32 AM   #126  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by cropmaster2000
I'd also like to know if it has to be a SU eyelet in order for the 1/16" punch to work. anyone?

TIA!
Yes the eyelets have to be Stampin UP. I've tried other brands that say they are aluminum, but are way too hard to work with the punch. You do have to squeeze pretty hard to set the Stampin UP one's.

HTH's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #127  
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking

for those looking for little scoops, i found a five pack at michaels in the artist paint section. they are called little dippers and they work great. they fit in the gladware container so i've just bought enough to have one in each container so they're handy ( i'm always putting things some place safe that some day i'll find so having them in the container works for me.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2005, 03:03 PM   #128  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cattailcreations
Yes the eyelets have to be Stampin UP. I've tried other brands that say they are aluminum, but are way too hard to work with the punch. You do have to squeeze pretty hard to set the Stampin UP one's.

HTH's

There are now eyelets on the market that do not require a hammer to set. One company is www.eyeletoutlet.com. I saw their eyelets at a local scrapbook expo. They have many, many eyelets, but as of now, only a few are availalbe with the "no hammer" feature. You set the eyelets with a pen! Yes, a pen. They use a normal Bic pen. You place the pen point in the hole and just twirl it around. The eyelet breaks apart and sets on it's own. No noise!!! It's really cool!!! Just FYI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #129  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by abcima
Our Office Max has some sort of fancy cutter that can make a perfect cut to a ream of paper (or cardstock)--for one dollar! You might want to check to see if your Office Max can do this for you. You can bring in a whole stack of different colored cardstock, and they can cut the whole thing in half for a dollar. Two cuts? Two dollars. Funny how that works. Hopefully, this can save you some time when prepping for workshops or shoebox swaps.

abcima
How are the cuts? The images running through my head are of cardstock being wasted due to irregular cuts.

And to add another idea for using markers to watercolor: find an old CD, clean it really well, and using the marker, color a little onto the cd and use your blender pen to pick up the color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #130  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paper cuts

The cuts at my Office Max are flawless--very professional! A member of the staff does it behind the counter. I just tell them where I want the cut to be.

abcima
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #131  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by abcima
The cuts at my Office Max are flawless--very professional! A member of the staff does it behind the counter. I just tell them where I want the cut to be.

abcima
Thanks! I might have to give it a shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #132  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Mostly near Cincinnati but Gulf Shores, AL in the wintertime 😎
Default used dryer sheets

I've found several uses for used dryer sheets in my stamp room:

1) Wipe down your table/work area with a used dryer sheet before you work with "messy" substances, like pearl ex, glitter, embossing powder, etc. to make clean up easier. Static is reduced and fine particles don't stick as badly.
2) Wipe the interior of your tidy tray with a used ds to make ep, glitter, or whatever flow effortlessly back into your container without sticking.
3) Use a used ds instead of your embossing buddy when embossing on dark colored card stock. The eb can leave an ugly, powdery residue that won't come off. The ds removes the static but doesn't leave a trace.
4) When making shaker cards with acetate window sheets, wipe the acetate with the ds to eliminate static. No more problems with the sand, glitter, microbeads or whatever your shaking material is sticking to the window. (I HATE when that happens!)

Someone else mentioned using them as substitute mulberry paper which can be dyed to match. I've never tried that, but what's an awesome idea. I just love being able to reuse something that seemed destined for the garbage can! Does anyone else have ideas for used dryer sheets or other "trash"?

stampingnut

If it doesn't move, STAMP it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2005, 02:45 AM   #133  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts
Default dryer sheets

I've been sewing two used dryer sheets together to make sachet bags with potpourri that I got for a song at ACM this summer. After I sew the bags together, I slip a sheet a of paper inside and stamp the front and back. I've also stamped them before sewing. Tie up with ribbon and a tag and it makes a great little gift.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 05:28 AM   #134  
Matboard Maniac

Here's a tip I learned from watching home remodeling shows on tv! When you want to cut two squares into 4 triangles and mix/match them, lay them on top of each other and cut diagonally through both at the same time. Your top right piece will exactly line up with your bottom left piece and vice versa!

Does that even make sense? :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 10:49 AM   #135  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Great idea from someone else.

Baabteach posted this great idea in the cheap thread I thought as many people as possible should see it cause it's that good.

"You can use the left over rubber as a pop-dot or stampin dimensional if you will. You peel away the red rubber part and remove the backing and the grey stuff is stick on both sides. This is a great tip I got from an old demo."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #136  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketMom
I use empty Pringles cans to store wheels. Take some computer paper (CS is too thick) and then wheel each image on the paper so you know what's inside each can. Adhere the paper to the outside of the can so at a glance you know what's in each can. You can store 7 small wheels and 3 jumbo ones per can.

Speaking of using wheels, to line up your lines when wheeling, start on the left side if you're right handed so you can see the last line you wheeled (vice versa for lefties). This helped me tremendously when someone pointed it out. Also, if the design doesn't matter - wheel diagonally instead of straight across the page - if you're a little crooked, it's harder to notice (at least I think so). This works for hot to dot, floral and images that don't "need" to be straight across.

Oldie but goodie - for the newbies out there - if you have a stamp image that is bold (like the Cool Cat or Simply Circles), it's best to ink up the image and then HUFF (breath heavy!) on the stamp before you stamp it.

Last one - I buy all my Tombo mono-adhesive refills at Office Depot or Office Max. They are practically 1/2 the price of SU! snail adhesive refills.

Thanks for these
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #137  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bevstamps
I do something similar. I make 2 copies of the stamp labels before I stick them on my stamps; I put one in the bottom of the plastic container that holds the stamp set so I know what stamps belong in that set. The other copy I put in a notebook.

I used this idea as well.....thanks to Splitcoast! To take the idea one step further.....I use index dividers to help locate the set and behind it add all of my favorite card samples printed from the galleries!

Thanks to everyone for the great tips!

Billie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 12:16 PM   #138  
Mad Swapper

Ooh -- coffee filters for powders?!!

I wish I'd known about this before buying a tray! Even though it was 1/2 off at craft store.... I don't even use my filters anymore. Bummer!

mommj

Last edited by mommj; 08-14-2005 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: forgot to quote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #139  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had to add: I had also heard that Versamark is really just glycerin. BUT, I ordered an empty ink cartridge, filled it with glycerin to do a watermark background, and an hour later the image was completely gone! So it's actually more like EMBOSSING ink. If you are only using your Versamark pad for embossing, then refilling it with glycerin may work, but if you want to be able to watermark with it, you'll have to stick to a regular Versamark refill. LOVE the idea of using it as an embossing ink, however, and I WILL hold on to that idea!!

I also saw the post where glycerin was used with dish soap in water to make a stamp cleaner. Does it act as a conditioner?? What else can glycerin be used for in stamping?

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #140  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts
Red face Thanks

All of these tips were great! I printed them out so that I can remember them. Now, here is an aside. I keep hearing about Carol Duvall. Someone referred to her in this thread. I was told that she is on HG TV. It's one of my new favorite channels, but definitely no Carol. Just lots of ideas for home projects. What channel is she on? If it matters, I live in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #141  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
All of these tips were great! I printed them out so that I can remember them. Now, here is an aside. I keep hearing about Carol Duvall. Someone referred to her in this thread. I was told that she is on HG TV. It's one of my new favorite channels, but definitely no Carol. Just lots of ideas for home projects. What channel is she on? If it matters, I live in Maryland.
In my area, she is on DIY (the Do It Yourself network). You can try going to DIY.com or HGTV.com to find her.....

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #142  
Hot Wheels

The Drywall tape is also great for embossing!

When you need to fixate(is that the right word??) your chalked images, you don't need to buy the expencive ones, regular hairspray from an aerosol can with a fine mist, does the job just as well!
Cards made in 2010:60
I'm going to PORCHA!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 03:55 PM   #143  
Pearl-ExPert

Love my coluzzle and I never thought of that THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #144  
Pearl-ExPert

Cool idea! THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #145  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
Here in Texas (Central time zone) she comes on HGTV at 8:30 a.m. I'm not sure but I think she might have 2 shows back to back so it might be that she has an 8:00 and 8:30 show.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #146  
Say Cheese!!

This was a great thread... BUMP! We Love ideas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #147  
Cardstock Collector

Just to add to the mix:
(1) I always try to photocopy the sheet with the stamp images before mounting my stamps. I make several copis so that I can put one in the box, and one in a 3 ring binder (as mentioned above). Since I tend to forget what it is I have and what is included in eac set, I group similar styles (e.g 'watercolor') or artists (all the hedgehogs); and have section for the written word (Birthdays, Thank You), backgrounds, etc. This then makes it easier to find the set (which is piled in alpha order in a bookcase).
(2) I also am able to switch my desk between a stamping place or a work place by putting paper place mats on a large, edged tray with most of my staple stamping items on it (eg mono, black ink pad, stamping scrubber) including a small container for the little bits of trash.
(3) When embossing try using a single chopstick to hold the paper down while the heating gun does it's job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2005, 05:44 PM   #148  
Die Cut Diva

I was going to use a classy brass template on old olive paper. The light box will normally shine through the template and the paper so you can see where to put your stylus. Well, that paper is just too dark and I couldn't see through it even with the light box.

So I used white paper. Then I rubbed ink directly from the pad onto the paper. It worked!

Last edited by purplewinkle; 09-24-2005 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2005, 06:57 PM   #149  
Compulsive Stamper

Just being curious. what do you use all that stuff for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2005, 07:44 PM   #150  
Kookie Creator

Default Things you can't do without or Tips

I can't do without all my 3" Black Binders from Walmart. My DH calls me the "Binder Queen". What can I say...I like things organized.

l. Have 2 of these binders filled with copies of all templets I have found and
sub-divide them by topic...Cards, Envelopes, Boxes, speciality items, etc.
It sure is easier to find them and share with rubber stamping buddies.

2. Have a binder full of pickets to hold all the new metal embellishments.
They are easy to see and keep in "stock".

3. I have 2 binders of Card Samples I really like. Of course, that was before
finding this site. Now have the new ones on my computer, my doc.
and sub-divided by stampin up, etc.

4. Four binders full of clip art, post cards, etc. I have collected for years.
Most are old and can be used on cards.

5. Two binders are for How To Tips. They are alphabetized by subject.
Again, now I have to put them in my documents on the computer and
sub-divide by subject. Think I am a little bit compulsive.....just don't like
spending time trying to find something.
The other thing I have really liked are the 3 drawer sterlite containers from Walmart. I have ten of them, labeled on the outside to hold, marvey markers, pads by company, embossing, glitter, etc. I liked the idea of using them for paper.

A file cabinet is used for my 81/2 x 11 paper. Each color is in a penaflex folder. Scraps are in regular file folder in with each color. The 12 x 12 paper I have stored in Scrapping envelopes, clear, by color. Each one is labeled with its color, i.e., pink, yellow, red, etc. I do put solid on the top and printed on the bottom layer in the envelope.

The large 3 drawer cabinets are also great to use under tables to store, chalks, templetes, pens in boxes, glues, ribbon, etc.

The item I bought and do not know why is the spin color tool. Thought it would be great for dry embossing with chalks....easier on the hands. Let the machine do the "chalking" for you. It is sooooo slow. Maybe I am not using it correctly.
Just remembered another couple items...the large light box. I use my small one all the time but the other is too big. One day maybe I will have lots of space to set-up this contraption. This is followed by the large fiskars paper cutter. Used it once.

This is just a great thread. Bet it goes on for days.
Happy stamping"

Chatty Cathy 25
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #151  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cropmaster2000
I'd also like to know if it has to be a SU eyelet in order for the 1/16" punch to work. anyone?

TIA!
I think the reason it doesn't work with other eyelets is because SU only paints the top of the eyelet. The other companies (like the ones you can get at JoAnn's) paint the entire eyelet making it too strong to succumb to the 1/16" punch.

I have a couple of tricks I really like.

The first was already mentioned but I have been doing it for years. I have the four most common embossing powders I use (gold, silver, copper, & clear) in shallow rubbermaid plastic containers. BUT I don't worry about using a little dipper or spoon, I just use a business card size of card stock and fold it in half so I can grab it. Works like a charm.

You can also use plastic needle point canvas to mark your cardstock for your eyelets.....perfect spacing!!

I use a double sided tape that has a paper backing for all my layering. Instead of peeling and reaching for the waste basket, I have a small shallow bowl on my table top that I put them in instead. Saves me time and my desk top from litter. When I am done, then I dump into the waste.

I have one of those plastic containers that holds water where you can push down on the top and it dispenses a small amount of water in the top bowl. I think it is sometimes used by manicurists. I have water in mine and it is a wonderful thing to have at my desk when I want to use my watercolor pencils, etc. One pump and I've got just a dab of water. When I'm done I just wipe the bowl off and I'm on to another color or I'm done and I haven't had to run to another room to get water.

I have a small can on my desk for the tools for my current project. Helps to keep the pens from rolling around on the desk top and if I get interrupted, I know that those pens or punches or scissors are the ones I was using for the project. When I am finishing the last card of my project I put the tool away.

I know I have a few more, but these are the ones I could remember now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2005, 07:19 PM   #152  
Cardstock Collector

Default extra shelf

I bought a hanging shelf and hung it under my lowest shelf above my craft table. This way I have a place to store my current unfinished project if I need the space to do a different project. (and of course it's right in front of me, so I won't forget about it!)

Great tips! I'll be sure to use a few!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #153  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurlzrok
I still like the idea of using the drywall tape for the mesh (coloring with your stamp pads). I got an entire roll of the tape for the cost of a very small amount of the colored mesh.
that is so smart! I've been wanting to buy more magic mesh but have a huge holiday project that it would break the bank on - I'm buying this tomorrow!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #154  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylene
Turn off your ceiling fan while using dazzling diamonds glitter.
Too funny!!!!! My tip would be not to use my heat gun too close to the carpet!! Carpet scorches quite easily and smells really bad! I now have a dedicated clip board for that purpose!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #155  
Pearl-ExPert

Lightbulb some more tips to share =)

Here are some more tips.

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #156  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default A couple more

Here are a few that I didn't see on here:

1. Place a mailing label on the bottom side of your stamp sets and write the price of the set along with the page number. When you are at a WS and show the set you can read right off the back.

2. You can brayer ink onto drywall tape to match any project. Heat set to dry faster.

3. Brayer ink onto white organdy ribbon to match any project. Heat set to dry faster - hold your heat tool away from ribbon so it doesn't burn it.

Thanks for all the wonderful tips ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #157  
JSM
Compulsive Stamper

Here's a few:

Cut the end of a plastic straw at an angle and use the straw as a dipper instead of a little spoon. I saw this demo'd at a stamp convention--the guy was applying different colors of glitter to an image and the pointy end of the straw helped him aim.

I bought some of the larger GLIS storage boxes at IKEA and love them! I have all of my watercoloring "stuff" in one, all of my coloring "stuff" in another, etc. So, if I want to watercolor, I can grab my stamped images and my one box and be good to go. And they stack nicely.

Stick a foam pop dot or a pop-up glue dot on top of the plastic liner thingy inside the Staz-on ink pad and put the lid back on. The plastic liner will stick to the lid from now on when you take the lid off. (Brilliance pads have those liners, too, I think.)

I went out to stamp one day and forgot to bring my acrylic blocks for my unmounted stamps. Fortunately, I had small stamps and I had a few of my mounteds with me, too. The EZMount cling cushion stuck just fine to the index sticker on the back of my SU wood mount. I couldn't see through it, but that wasn't a big deal.

I'm loving this thread! I have a bunch of things that I want to try out now....

Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #158  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default For tying ribbon...

Often when I am tying a bow or knot it is hard to keep it tight while "threading" through the loop. I find if I lay down a pair of scissors with the pointed end on top of the first knot, I can hold the scissors against the table with my ring finger. I then proceed to finish the knot or bow, and it will stay fairly tight. (This is much harder to describe than it is to do! LOL)

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2005, 05:41 AM   #159  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Read through most of this but you can emboss the drywall tape too! It looks great. I have one in my gallery but don't know how to link it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2005, 05:52 AM   #160  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by justampin
Read through most of this but you can emboss the drywall tape too! It looks great. I have one in my gallery but don't know how to link it!
Here's your link and you just copy from the address bar and paste in this post.
Justampin's card with drywall tape embossed
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes