Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faced with a bit of a dilemna -

The scrapbook and stamp store I go to has a WONDERFUL manager, and 2 or 3 employees that work there. The manager and 2 of the employees are an absolute asset to the store, all of them I have managed to talk to and they really have a great personality. The 3rd employee I am actually dreading to see when I go in the store, in fact if I could find out what her schedule is, I would make sure I avoid going to the store when she is there. It is not that she is flat out rude, but she has a very dry personality in that I will say something when I am checking out like, �gee I really love this paper, it is going to go so well with my daughter�s outtit� and she just says NOTHING and goes about her business. The other staff as well as the manager have said things like �yes I love this line of paper� or �what a pretty color� or SOMETHING. This particular employee just seems to have a very bored attitude and when I go to the checkout counter, if she is doing something I have to wait until she is done and then she says things like �are you all set?� � and checks me out with pretty much nothing to say.

I can�t say like I said that she is outright rude, but I don�t care for her attitude and I am wondering if I should say something along the lines of �gee, she doesn�t seem to want to be here� or something like that. However I don�t know what her position is there since there is new management, I know she does teach a few classes, and it is quite possible she may be a partner in the store since the management like I said has changed a bit. The woman who introduced herself to me as the manager is a DOLL and I love her but I am not sure if I say something if it will help any � or would it make matters worse.

Should I say something? Maybe should I ask �hey what days is she here so I can avoid coming here� � like I said I really enjoy the store and going when the other staff is there, but when she is there I almost want to leave since I know my stay will be pretty quiet. Is there a subtle way of saying something without making my next visit like I have a scarlet letter on my chest (see that lady, that�s the one that didn�t like you) � LOL.

I feel so torn -- I want to go over there tomorrow to pick some things up that I need but if she is there I am going to wish I had gone another day. Maybe I should find out her schedule, LOL.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

Okay, everyone has some quirky point of view that affects their outlook and opinions. Here's mine, take it for what it's worth (nothing!).

My mom has mental problems. She needs a job. There's very little she's qualified to do, but she can perform basic tasks (data entry, phone questions, basic stuff), BUT she has zero people skills. She needs work. So, maybe this person is someone more like my mom than not. Maybe she needs a job and she can perform the basic tasks, but she has no people skills. Personally, I think there are too many mentally ill/emotionally challenged people who are living on the streets and welfare. So, if she can do the job, then maybe she's contributing to society rather than mooching and I'd be happy about that.

If she has people skills but just treats customers like crap, then maybe she should be told that at her next performance appraisal so she can work on it.

End of sermonette,
Leah
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totaly agree!

Not eveyone is wonderfully happy in their job either, but sometimes as the customer, we can brighten their day!

Love that color on you! Didn't see you last time I was in, glad your back!
What do you think of this paper?

Try it - it works!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you for another perspective. You know it is funny, my DH was asking me what the problem with her was and I told him that she didn't have a problem, she just wasn't as nice as the others -- he had a perspective of that maybe she was just doing work and I bothered her (i.e. stocking shelves and she had to stop what she was doing to come ring me up). I told him that I had worked retail and sales since I was 15 years old (that would make 23 years now, boy I feel old) and ringing up a customer should never be "bothering" the person stocking shelves, it is considered customer service. He never worked retail so he didn't know. SO I guess it is interesting to hear other perspectives.

Now I am feeling silly for bringing it up, I sound like a whiner, LOL -- I guess it is just that I had such a great experience the last few times when I was there (and I get out so rarely, LOL) that I guess it was such a downer when I went last week and got like no warm fuzzies --
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

You not a whiner! Think a positive thought for her! Next time you go in, make a difference! I bet you could just brighten her day!

I always pick the grumpy ones at Wal-Mart, I love to say something that will make them smile!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I agree--you may be the only one she sees in a whole day of work that just MIGHT give her a little smile, or word of encouragement, and she may be hurting really bad, or very shy to say something back to you...maybe not so shy she didn't get the job, though. Maybe the manager gave her a job to let her help herself. Just give her a smile everytime you walk in, she just might need it.

Rom 12:2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I have never really worked retail, so I can't say much from my own point of view. My son, however, has been working at a camera store for a year now. Sometimes things go fine, but there is often just one bad customer, and that just ruins his evening. The other day, he was just fuming. A man spent an hour choosing a camera and accessories, but when DS rang it up, he gave him a check, and the check was denied. The man basically blamed him, when he really had nothing to do with it. He really couldn't do anything but ask for another form of payment. This is, I think, a national company. He has customers who tell DS to get the owner of the company on the phone. After situations like that, he's no good for awhile.

That said, there is a checker at the grocery store that I go to that I really don't like. I used to get in her line a lot. I finally realized that it was always the shortest one because nobody liked her. Now I just get in another line even if it means waiting extra long. I've made a little comment to the other checkers (all of whom I get along famously with). They have even said that I should report her to management. I haven't done that, but I guess I know how you feel. You don't have the option of another line like I do.

I would agree that smothering her in kindness is the way to go here. It couldn't hurt. If she doesn't respond, at least you know you've tried your best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

You're not a whiner - I was NOT trying to communicate that at all. I was just trying to offer another perspective. I totally understand how frustrating it is when customer service is with out a smile and is, in fact, customer service because I have to and I really hate you. LOL!
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

This is going to be along story but it worked for the lady recounting it to us.

We saw a speaker at work who is some motivational speaker for large corporations etc but mostly for Disney and a large hotel chain. Anyway she was telling us about a time she had gone into a McDonald's and they were advertising for a smiling, cheerful person to work the front etc. When she got up to the cashier, however, she encountered a girl with a real poor attitude and who obviously didnt fit the very criteria that the job posting listed. So after she rang this speaker up the speaker says..."Did you know you are being fired?" The counter girl snorted that "no I'm not"
The speaker didnt let up...she continued by saying "Yup, you are being replaced and you dont even know it. Didnt you see the job poster over there? It says ..Looking for positive cheerful people to serve our customers...and honey that is NOT you".. and she walked away and just waited for a bit.....she recounted how she could actually see that girl's attitude change and she treated the next customer with a bit more enthusiasm.
Her moral? Sometimes people don't realize that they are coming off as being in any sort of mood. Maybe simply saying something like " I'm sorry you are having such an obviously bad day" often times this leads the person to say something like " I'm not" and then you say "oh it just seemed as though you were a little upset or something"
She says that almost forces someone to examine how they are coming across and leads to change.

I thought it was an interesting story...and something that I might do although if truth be told I'd dish it out in a very sarcatic way..LOL 16 years in retail and I know how hard I had to work to please customers so I always expect great service too...LOL

So its so long...:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I have worked in retail for many, many years (plus I sell for a direct sales company where customer service sets you apart from other sales people) and if I were the manager of that store in the original post, I would want to know that people could potentially be avoiding my store b/c of a person at the cash register.

Now, if someone was mediocre once, that's one thing but it sound like this woman has been repeatedly non-friendly so it's obviously a pattern. I'd say something to the manager about it and if the woman has an ounce of customer service in her bones, she'd descreetly bring it up to her employee and ask that she show a more cheerful attitude.

That's my $0.02
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe it's a little passive-aggressive of me, but when I am in situations like this, I say to the manager/parent/whomever, something like: "Have I done something to offend Jane? She always seems upset with me." Then they don't feel attacked, but I've communicated my impression. Sometimes I get a reasonable explanation; sometimes just "Oh, that's just the way she is." But at least I have let my opinion be known.

I'm a chicken at heart, so confrontation makes me stressed. However, I'm 40 now (LOL), so I also don't like to take anybody's crap anymore, KWIM? :-) This sort of approach is my compromise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

The lady that owns a nice scrapbooking store in our city is most miserable and unfriendly. Doesn't even say hello when you walk in the door. I hardly ever go there anymore. Would rather go to another city or store where staff/owner is friendly and helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysings
Maybe it's a little passive-aggressive of me, but when I am in situations like this, I say to the manager/parent/whomever, something like: "Have I done something to offend Jane? She always seems upset with me."
Is that really being passive-aggressive, or just being tactful? I honestly can't tell the difference, but I grew up with p-a being second nature.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I too have a long history of working in the customer service industry. People at my work (have told me) that they love it when I am there because I am so friendly, etc. We had a girl working for us that literally had NO people skills. Everything she said came across extremely rude and harsh. She had numerous customer complaints, regular customers that would not come in on days she was working and finally regular customers who will no longer shop with us. This girl did have some pretty harsh stuff going on in her life at the time but, this is just her personality and she in not capable of changing it. Long story short...I think the manager should be told that she is not very personable and you seem to get the feeling that you are bothering her (if that is the case and how you feel). How many other customers feel the same way as you do, and are to shy to say something? I would think the manager would not want to risk her business on an employee who is turning customers off and/or away. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Is that really being passive-aggressive, or just being tactful? I honestly can't tell the difference, but I grew up with p-a being second nature.
LOL I'm not sure! I guess I call it passive-aggressive because inside I'm feeling very aggressive, and I really want something done, but I'm acting like I'm passive. I'm thinking, "that was really rude, and do something about it NOW! But just call me the caring person."

I prefer your term of tactful. :-) I think I will just call myself tactful from now on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Worked in retail for 17 years. Our motto was "the customer is not an interruption of your work, the CUSTOMER IS YOUR WORK." Not every one has the personality that you enjoy, but as long as the employee is efficient and polite, that is enough for me.
JoanK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 06:19 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I would bet BIG bucks that this woman is hearing impaired. Chit chatting is very difficult and I will bet that she may depend on lip reading, which she cannot do when she is checking you out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 06:24 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

That's funny, I have a LSS here too, where one of the employees is less than friendly. Last time I was in I noticed they had IA gamsol, which I've been getting online. I laughed & said "oh sure, NOW you carry it. I JUST ordered some online". It was obvious I was kidding around but she gave me a dirty look. Whatever. I figure I'm not there to socialize, I'm there to shop. If she doesn't want to chat then I won't. I do love the owner, & who knows --maybe this gal is a relative of hers!! I just make a note when I go in that if she's there, I don't chit chat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 06:36 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

The few times I have spoken to a manager about lack of service or a situation with an employee they have been very appreciative. One even told me...thank you for telling me, I really appreciate you helping me make my store a better place to be.
So I would tell the manager about the fact that waiting on you seems to interrupt X's other jobs (and it shouldn't) and meanwhile, smile, smile, smile and kill X with kindness.
Good luck.
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 07:13 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
That said, there is a checker at the grocery store that I go to that I really don't like. I used to get in her line a lot. I finally realized that it was always the shortest one because nobody liked her. Now I just get in another line even if it means waiting extra long. I've made a little comment to the other checkers (all of whom I get along famously with). They have even said that I should report her to management. I haven't done that, but I guess I know how you feel. You don't have the option of another line like I do.

I would agree that smothering her in kindness is the way to go here. It couldn't hurt. If she doesn't respond, at least you know you've tried your best.
Welcome to New England! Just kidding. I had the same experience at a grocery store and actually asked her, "Are you being slow just to tick me off? 'Cause it's working." I then avoided her line just like you did. Luckily, we have since moved and I no longer have to see her.
I often just smile and be sweet to mean people b/c hey, I'm not letting them ruining my day!
The original post sounds normal to me, but I'm more the type that would rather be left alone when shopping. I do like knowing where sales associates are when I do have a question, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

[quote=bostonstamps]
I often just smile and be sweet to mean people b/c hey, I'm not letting them ruining my day!
[\quote]

WOW! what an awesome attitude!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Then when I leave, I say something like "I hope your hemmorhoids clear up soon, you must be SO uncomfortable" in the nicest possible way.

thank you bren, i'm still lol !!

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

my blog http://wwwfeedingmysoul.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:17 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would make some sort of comment. I know the times I have told small business owners that their employees are not representing them well it has always been appreciated. They don't know everything that goes on and telling them allows them more control over the success or failure of their business. Also perhaps they have either thought about or already talked to the employee and a customer comment is important for documentation in this day of legal stuff with hiring and firing. I have told my Pediatrician when a new dr joined her practice how poor her skills were with the kids - the original dr apreciated it and after a month the dr was let go as she wasn't able to relate to the kids (go figure). I have told a business that their receptionist was surly when she answered the phone..whatever they did, she was much happier sounding whenever I called again. Its hard to start that conversation sometimes but dh owns a small business and I know he would want to know if his employees were making people want to stay away...which is my last point in this long response...if you feel uncomfortable and want to avoid her then someone (or lots of someones) else does too...you aren't whining!!
Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Default That's the way it is now...

That's a shame, but it seems to be the way it is nowadays. I cannot REMEMBER the last time a cashier addressed me with "hello", "good morning/afternoon", "how are you"...and I mean it has been YEARS. And I rarely hear "thank you", just a blank stare.

Why don't you try smiling at her (in case she is hard of hearing) the next time you see her. If that doesn't work, then I would say something to the owner. There are a lot of unemployed people out there who have a smidgeon of customer service abilities (none in NJ, though!;) ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:50 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I also find some people on the register to not like to chat and others do. I don't expect anyone to visit with me when there is a line. They are focused on getting everyone checked out in a most expedient manner.

I am a manager, not in retail per se, but in a cafe. I have 3-4 employees at any time, and each does all the jobs on their shift, since they work alone. It creates quite a variety of interesting situations for everyone!

I would like to say that some people are more private people, find it difficult to visit with strangers. My daughter is like that. She doesn't like drop in guests either. She can be nice when she handles customers but finds it difficult and stressful to have to "visit" with them. She worked for me in my cafe for a while (she is VERY experienced there--was assistant mgr in cafes for years) and while she was very nice, kind, smiled, etc, she experienced a lot of stress trying to carry on more conversation than "work".

Your checker may be very self conscious, it may be her first job like this and feel like she is "on trial", she may be uncomfortable visiting with strangers. Give her the benefit of the doubt. Express your appreciation of the store, what it offers, their service, include her in that appreciation. Let her get comfortable with the store's customers. She may blossom under encouragement.

If you say something to the management, be positive. Something like "I notice that ___ appears a little reserved (or however you can best express it) and I am trying to encourage her. Is there something specific I can do to help her come out of her shell?" Other posters have had other encouraging ways to do this, too. You probably shouldn't try to pry into what might be the cause, however. Personal life is not something that a manager is allowed to consider in employment, they may not know, and they certainly should not share it with their customers if they do!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes