Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sympathy Cards

:( I need some ideas for these cards. Everyone has to make one at one point or another. I just found out that my neice's (so-to-speak) mom passed away suddenly last night. The 2 Girls (13 and 8 yrs) have lived with my MIL for 4 years now so they are family. Should I get gifts as well because of their age too? Stamps sound good. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #2  
The Digi-Freak

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I have made some sympathy cards in the last few years, let me dig them up and I'll link to them....

I think a gift might be good for the girls... even if you give a gift a little later, like a month later or so, it is good for them to know someone is thinking of them.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I hope those help give you ideas...

(((hugs)))
Kimberly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 11:34 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Any floral type stamps work well. You could use a Thinking of You or With Sympathy for your sentiment. I've also done pine branches and pine cones. All I Have Seen is another great set for sympathy cards. I usually make mine fairly simple due to the solemn situation. Hope this gives you a few ideas.
As far as gifts go, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

My sympathy to you and your family.
There have been quite a few nice cards here. I like a simple ("long-stemmed")flower (the one I use is not SU) or small arrangement with subdued colors - sage comes to mind.

I know if you go to the gallery and do a search using " sympathy" you should find a lot of different types, most likely one suitable for your tastes.

I do not usually think of giving a gift, but rather a memorial. If it is someone who lives nearby, a food item is always helpful - to serve guests who drop in or who might come to stay for services,or for the family when they are not in the mood to prepare anything. Something that can be frozen would be most welcome, I am sure. For someone out of town I usually send a memorial to a charity. That said, I am sure that something like a gift certificate (for fast food, to buy coffee or paper goods or the like might be most welcome. So much depends on your relationship, need, local customs, etc.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the quick response! I am in a major card making mood today and I wanted to get these out of the way. I am going to make eack girl one and mail them seperatly. They only live 20 min. away but they went to see thier grandma so they will be gone for a couple days. And besides who doesn't get a little excited to get mail - even for this occation. I think we will get them some kind of small gift too - stamps sound good. I remember I got little things when my dad died too -even if I don't recall what they were (15 yrs ago). As soon as I nuke my supper I'll be back down to create. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

My sympathy goes out to your family.

An idea for a gift for girls might be an angel of some kind - you can get special one denoting 'love' or some other significant memory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Here are a couple that I've done -- one just last week, I'm sorry to say. The Brighter Tomorrow set is a good one to have in your stack for sympathy cards. My sympathies for your loss.

By changing the "hope", you could easily turn this one into a sympathy card:

SU Creative Crew Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #8  
mg
Kookie Creator

I have made several with the Long Stemmed set. Just brayer a background on glossy paper of a purple or other color. Then stamp especially the calla lily with black with a sympathy stamp. Have to learn how to upload so I can get them on here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I have made sympathy cards with a simple flower. Garden collage has the Gentle Thoughts of You stamp which might work if you don't have a sympathy stamp. As far as a gift...I have given books that deal with loss to children, but I also really like the angel idea. Willow Tree has beautiful angels that might be appropriate...Perhaps Angel of the Heart?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Here are a couple of ideas. The first one is the soot technique. The second is more light hearted and just used masking. The third could have any words but used a tag idea. Sorry to hear about the loss. Cards at least show you care. I think a small think of you type gift would be appropriate.

Reply With Quote Likes