Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Do you sometimes like organizing as much as stamping?

Hi, I don't post much, but I thought I'd pose the question...

Do you find yourself having as much fun organizing your stamping/craft supplies as you do actually making projects?

I'm kind of clutter phobic, so I can't be "free to create" when my stamp room is in chaos or I have to hunt to find things, so recently, I've been cleaning out and organizing in preparation for some productive stamping sessions. At first, I wanted to get done so I could stamp, but then, I was kind of enjoying going through everything. Now, I'm finding that I'm actually enjoying colorizing my paper and organizing my shelves and doo-dads as much as actually making cards. I've let things go lately after the birth of my daughter a little over a year ago, so now I want to get back in order.

Now, I'm sure this feeling can't last, but it's nice to see what I no longer use (and how stamping tastes and trends have changed), and see an ordered environment (which I need) in order to enjoy my card-crafting to the fullest.

Just wondering how others feel about it. I know some creative types thrive in a chaotic environment. I'm just not one of them.

Share your thoughts. Also, if you want to reorganize or change something, what do you wish you had time to do?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Yes, that's my biggest problem. I'll go into my stamp room to stamp and then start organizing it all. I never get around to stamping. I'm such a perfectionist in there. I can't even stamp if I have sets to cut out and I have about 5 left!! Well, I'd better go to stamp, I mean clean. ;)

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm just the opposite. I'll start to organize and stop and stamp . I think I need to hire someone to follow behind be and clean up my mess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I definitely don't organize enough... but when I do it is suuuuuuuuch a nice feeling to go in the craft room and have everything all nice and neat... that 5 minutes is so enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Were we separated at birth?? ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #6  
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
I'm just the opposite. I'll start to organize and stop and stamp . I think I need to hire someone to follow behind be and clean up my mess.
Tru dat Jeanne!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey, Maddie'sMom

You made me laugh with that line about the 5 minutes... so true!

Glad to know I'm not alone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Red face

Putz, putz putz, I thought I was the only one that can spend 2 hours just moving things around and not getting any scrapping or stamping done
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
well, i'm sorta like this, but i shove everything to the side or pile it all up, start my stampin then i can't remember some technique so i come here to look it up and get caught in the

SCS VORTEX!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Yes!! I too sometimes have wonderful intentions to stamp, but end up organizing ideas, filing, getting ideas....getting stuck, I guess. If I get a picture out and get set to copy someone's idea, I can get jump started and the creative juices flow.

When I first started stamping I thought I needed more and that was why I got stuck, I now have a bunch of stuff and can sometimes use the excuse, I am too stimulated, go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

Susan Marie

I know what you mean. I have almost everything I could possibly need in the way of supplies. I could not buy another thing til I die and still could make enough cards and projects. That's why I have to be organized.

I have gotten to the point where I am making mini "project boxes" - I put paper, patterned paper, supplies, stickers, ribbons, embellishments, etc. that all work together to make a single type of project in a box. That way, I can just get out that one box and make some things.

I have a MOD/Funky box with those types of stickers and papers and embellishments. I have a "Beyond Postmarks" box by Brenda Walton with more pretty types of designs. And also an Anna Griffin Box with those types of designs.

I have an "Exotic" box with handmade papers from India and Paisley stamps and flat-backed gems, etc.

I think it becomes too mind boggling to look at all that I have and figure out what I want to use. If I break it down into smaller little boxes with similar themed stuff, then I can just dive in and have enough to work with right there.

Of course, the universal tools: Scissors, punches, cutters, etc. are always right at hand.

Organizing has its benefits!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

ummm. no. not so much. cleaning and organizing is not super fun for me, but stamping is I will say that I do like my stamping area when it is clean and things are put where I can actually find them, but that doesn't last for very long and honestly it doesn't really bug me!
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Ditto! I'm the same way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

I LOVE to organize - if I could I'd definately try to get a jod on Clean Sweep ;) I'm pretty much just as addicted to the newest organization thingy (whether it be a set of cool drawers or new ppr organizers) as I am to all my stamp stuff!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't think in a cluttered, chaotic environment! It has to be neat and tidy for me to want to do anything. I've been trying to stamp a little bit lately, but get frustrated because I need to straighten it all up first and don't really have a lot of time at the moment to do so!

Behind every successful person is a substantial amount of
Coffee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Talking

I love to clean and organize!

I just did this after our crop this weekend because I figured when all the stuff was out of it I could find the stuff that I don't use and then bring in the good stuff! So...it worked and I have a lot of stuff that is non SU and I don't use it anymore so I'm selling it on EBAY! Anyone need stickers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Wow, I wish I was an organization freak. It's a talent I don't posess. Maybe it skips a generation. My mother's spices are alphabetized in matching containers with labels she typed up. I'm lucky to be able to find my toothbrush at night. Would someone like to come help me organize all my stuff? I can't even figure out how to get started. My room is such a mess, I never can sit down to stamp and the idea of cleaning it all up is exhausting. I can't even open the door or my kids go in there and are drawing on everything with the markers lying around. My 2 year old even destroyed all the ribbon I swapped by chopping it up with a pair of scissors off my desk! Sigh...

Natalie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Hahaha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps
Yes, that's my biggest problem. I'll go into my stamp room to stamp and then start organizing it all. I never get around to stamping. I'm such a perfectionist in there. I can't even stamp if I have sets to cut out and I have about 5 left!! Well, I'd better go to stamp, I mean clean. ;)

Robyn
My thoughts exactly. What's weird is that when I didn't have my own stamping room I spent a lot more time actually stamping. Now it seems like I spend two hours organizing and 30 minutes stamping anytime I go in there. Then again looking at everyone else's fabulous stamping rooms and feeling like mine needs to be better than it is doesn't help. Oh well, like always I'll just tell myself "this weekend I'm going to do some stamping" and then I'll just clean instead.

If only I felt that passionate about cleaning the rest of the house...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I always get stuck looking at the SU catty. If I go into my stamp room and don't already have an idea of what I'm going to do I'll start flipping through the catty and I never get around to stamping. Of course I don't do much organizing either. I usually have stuff strewn all over the floor, the bed, the couch, my desk...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I like to clean and organize just so I can see all the stuff I bought and forgot about!
I used to get caught up in cleaning and never getting around to stamping/scrapping BUT I started setting a timer at the end of my playtime so I had to clean for 10 minutes THEN I set it again BEFORE I started for 5 minutes and do another cleaning.
That REALLY ehlps me stay on track! I'm such a kid sometimes;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh I am so happy to see this thread and know I'm not alone in my organization freakdom. Yup-I'm an organizer, always looking for a better way to do it, cant work in a messy clutter. Sometimes I suspect I'm abit (or alot) of a procrastinator and that may be the underlying motive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

My stamping room used to be the dining room but my stamps and supplies took over. I just love to go through everything and reorganize. I just got a box from SU! today (love the UPS guy) and I can't wait to go through it and touch everything and put it away lovingly . I spend more time organizing and on the computer here than actual stamping. Hmm--I really should use the stuff I buy.

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Cool organizing

Yes, I am an organizer perfectionist, then when I do a project it's like a bomb goes off. Everything is everwhere and the cycle continues. I have noticed that I am like this all through my house - the bomb goes off then I organize the mess. I am sure this means something about my personality, my childhood or just plain psycho!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts
Red face

My house is a mess, but I do like to have my stamping stuff organized. I guess it's more a clutter issue than anything else.
When my daughter scrapbooks, I just sit with her and find stuff that I think might go nicely on that page. It drives me crazy when she and her girlfriend scrapbook. Paper is not put back with its rightful color family, stuff not stacked properly.......
But, that is the only thing that I am neat about. Hmmm.... I wonder what that means.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I don't have that much room to stamp, so I have to be organized. I just have a small area in the bedroom (which is getting smaller all the time...sigh), so I have to have something in mind, get the supplies for that particular thing, and then clean up after I'm done. I guess I'll just have to move my stuff to my daughter's brand new stamp room after their house is built, and then I won't have to worry about cleaning up - it'll be up to her! (LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do any of you gals live near Spokane, WA? I could provide you with LOTS of entertainment....cheap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

What a fun question!

Two completely different modes for me. I have a stamping space in the basement, but I don't like to actually stamp there (want to be around my kids, like the sunshine upstairs, etc.). Mostly dive down, get the stuff I need, drag it upstairs and stamp. At the end it all gets put back, kinda.

But every once in a while I say "enough," and I set aside time to reorganize and see what I have and what I need to replace. Then I'm off again!

I'd much rather stamp than organize, but every now and again, it's good to get in touch with my supplies, and remember some unused treasure. I would never want some robot, or even a maid, to clean up my stamping stuff. It's too tactile. I need to feel it at every step. Unartistic types won't understand, but stampers will know exactly what I'm on about.

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Default organizing

i need pictures that will inspire me to put everything away.oh and the picture need to be in detail of whar the bips-bops- boos have in them --- some of you all have wonderful rooms yet all this storage and stuff what actually is in there.thats all i want to know... nina

need to go to bed but want to still type,,,,,,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I'm an organizer too, but soemthing happened to me today/yesterday.
My space was almost perfectly organized, i had projects ready on my desk to start. when i woke up, dh told me there was something i wasnt going to like in here. i came and my wall of shelves had collapsed. i now have to reorganize everything. it took me 6months since i moved here to get it just the way i wanted and now i have to start over. all my stuff is on the floor everywhere. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2006, 01:59 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Default hug for (((kaenasmommy)))))

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaenasmommy
My space was almost perfectly organized, i had projects ready on my desk to start. when i woke up, dh told me there was something i wasnt going to like in here. i came and my wall of shelves had collapsed. i now have to reorganize everything. it took me 6months since i moved here to get it just the way i wanted and now i have to start over. all my stuff is on the floor everywhere. :(
Boy, does that stink! What a shame. I would have invented a few new swear words if that happened to me.

My stamping area is in my basement and the walls are concrete, so I can't really put any shelves up. My organizing shelves are free-standing. And yes, I do admit, I love fondling and touching and organizing my goodies almost as much as stamping. I'm pretty much in a constant state of re-organization. I feel infinitely more creative when my space is neat.

My wonderful husband brought home a pair of shelving units recently for my stuff, and I love 'em (my husband too!). They have drawers and shelves, so I can fit almost everything inside them, including my cardstock. I prefer to keep my stamps out in the open so I can persue them to see what I have, it helps me utilize them better.

I just added 16 sets to my collection (sellabration is like Christmas in January!!) and I have the happy task of reorganizing my stamps to fit all the new ones in. I have them all mounted. I spent the entire day yesterday at my sister's (my demo) cutting and DANG my tendonitis in my elbow really flared up, OUCH!

Allrighty, now I'm off to the treadmill to fight the winter bulge, then HOPEFULLY I'll have a few minutes to tinker before I leave for work (gotta pay for those stamps!)

Colleen

Handstamped......because I can't draw
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2006, 02:18 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Oh Sharlene that stinks - poor you :(

I am currently in an organisational phase - prior to xmas I did 3 stalls (selling cards) and had all my personal cards to do and not enough time to do it all so my stamping area was an absolute disaster zone. Not helped by my OH making the snap decision to box up all our books and move the bookcase upstairs (we are trying to sell the house so the purpose of this is to make the sitting room look larger - which is does). Upshot of this being I had about 30 mins to empty my previous shelving unit, dump the contents in the middle of the room so he could then paint the wall and reassemble the bookcase (in my stamping area).

I was so distressed I basically avoided my stamping area for about 2 weeks (over xmas and new year) but the week before last I finally plucked up the courage to start sorting it. And now I have started it I can't stop!! The bookcase is huge compared to what I had before and is divided into cubes so I've been having loads of fun deciding what to put where. My OH also got me some translucent pink storage boxes in different sizes to help My desk area is now completely clear (apart from the stuff I use every day) where as previously I had no workspace and I couldn't put my legs under the desk properly as there was so much stashed under there.

Last night I was going to tackle the new sketch challenge but ended up spending well over an hour sorting another 'cubby hole'. Found some shaker box templates and doodlebug sequins I forgot I had so have put them on my desk ready to play with after work yay!

Pootle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2006, 04:03 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

I'm a clean freak I like everything organized.I have a lable maker and I have a lable on almost everything.My paper is all in a zipbag.The one from CM and I have tabs for each color paper that is color coded but I have 2 of them 1 is from Micheals paper only the other is from SU.Then I also have 2 seperate containers from Walmart that has all my scrap paper in which is also color coded.gets me to use up all my scraps instead of using a new piece each time.also when the kids need a piece of paper that where they get it from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

WOW it's not just me!

Try to follow me on this: my last five Dyzntec ink pad holders came yesterday giving me a total of ten, and I set them up in my kitchen (so as not to be distracted organizing my stamp room)...

Of course I miscalulated: Each holder holds 12, so I have 120 spaces for ink pads. I figured 48 current colors + 9 retired colors in classic and craft pads gave me just enough room, right? WRONG. I didn't account for the new "neutrals" colors. Since I organize them by rainbow instead of color families, and I figured this out as I got down to the last holder and there wasn't enough room for the dark purples.

But it was fun.

I LOVE TO ORGANIZE!

Please have me commited.

To my stamp room, that is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaenasmommy

What a horror story! I had that happen once with my closet. I was in the living room and heard a noise. I thought a bookshelf had fallen on one of my kids. The kids were fine, but I ran all over the house and couldn't find the source. The next morning, I opened my closet to pick out clothes, and the whole rack was on the floor. My husband and I had to keep our clothes on the couch for a week until we figured out how to fix the closet.

I hope none of your stuff broke (other than the shelves), and that it doesn't take too long to get it back in stamping shape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

I LOVE to organize! I spend most of my time doing that when I really went down to stamp!! Can't wait to go back and see what you all do to organize!
Old 01-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #36  
Inking Addict

Wink central PA too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenstamper
My stamping room used to be the dining room but my stamps and supplies took over. I just love to go through everything and reorganize. I just got a box from SU! today (love the UPS guy) and I can't wait to go through it and touch everything and put it away lovingly . I spend more time organizing and on the computer here than actual stamping. Hmm--I really should use the stuff I buy.

Jen
Hi, Jen...am in north-central PA too (north of Williamsport a tad) and am a little organizationally challenged, but LOVE my stamp room. My dining room and kitchen got almost unrecognizable until a recent addition on the house and I claimed one of my daughters' former bedrooms as MY space!
Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

OK all I want to know is that if any one you that loves to organize lives anywhere near Indianapolis Indiana? I desperatly need some help!! LOL I try with all my might to get this whole organization thing down, but I just can't do it. I think my problem is that I just don't know what I should do with the room period.................Grrrrrrrr Help me. I think that is one of the reasons that I never stamp!

My New BLOG, come check it out

http://jen-stampininthemidwest.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face

I thought I was the queen of this topic! I'm obsessed with organizing. We have lived in our house for 12 years and in that time I have moved my crafts into every room (sometimes twice) but the 2 bathrooms and basement kitchen. I just moved my crafts, stamping and beading, into the smallest bedroom upstairs away from my club meeting room which is located in the basement. Next week I know I am going to be teased by all my club members for moving my room once again!!! Every time I move, I say that this is it because I like it but then I get the itch to try and make it better. I am desperately hoping this time is for sure the last in this house. I really do like my room the best this time. I am in an 8 x 9 room and have a U shaped desk built up against the back wall. I am thinking about seeing if I can get a good picture to post on this site now that I have learned to upload cards/pictures. I love watching organizing shows on TV and would love to make a living at what they do but I am shy and also don't know where to begin. If I lived in Indianapolis I would love to help you, Jennifer, with your organization. But alas I am in Kansas.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to be organized but have the hardest time!

-

Last edited by SnazzyStamper; 02-14-2006 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

That answer is definitely an NOOOOO! Who organizes??
Reply With Quote Likes