Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:22 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you live in Hawaii?

I am very lucky to be visiting Hawaii next month and wondered if anyone could tell me where on Oahu or the Big Island where I can find a good store to buy some supplies to take back to Malaysia. Thanks in advance for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

My favorite stamping store on Oahu is Stamps & Memories in Aiea
http://www.stampsandmemorieshi.com/
Another interesting stamp store in Honolulu (near the UH Campus and not far from Waikiki) is Cute Stuff. It is an extremely cluttered store with many surprises
I can remember hearing about a good rubber stamp store in Hilo (Big Island, eastern side) and this may be it
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...FWPYLAEdO7DB9g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:27 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Thanks Glenda, already printed off the directs for Stamps and Memories, now off to find Cute Stuff. We will playing golf at the Kapolei golf course and are staying at Ko Olina. Thanks again for the advise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm gong to Kauai and Maui in Nov. because I won a trip!! Any suggestions for places to stay on Kauai and what to see there? Any stamp stores on either island?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Arlene, I just went to Kauai this summer and we have a time share on Maui so have been there numerous times. You will enjoy both. Maui has lots of activities and places to see. The Maui Ocean center is an excellent aquarium. If you like shows, Ulalena is wonderful, created with help from the same people who do Cirque du Soleil. For crafting supplies go to Island Paperie on Maui in Kahalui: http://islandpaperie.com/. If you want to do a zip line tour on either island make reservations a month in advance. They were all booked up by the time we arrived.

Kauai: take a boat trip along the Napali coast - beautiful. Oh, I see you like snorkeling, too. Lots of good places, pick up tourist magazines at airport and they will have maps of where to go, but ask at a snorkel dive shop as well. We stayed on the north side, so didn't get around to see Waimea Canyon (next time), but if you are staying on the south side, then it is a shorter driving distance. If you haven't got a place to stay on Kauai, take into consideration that the ocean is calmer on the south side in the winter, where as the north side is calmer in the summer. Snorkeling will probably be better on the south side when you go. The south side is where the major resorts are located, the north side is much quieter. Check ou the Kauai and Maui visitors' bureau on the web for more info.

Awesome prize, congratulations!

Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 03:40 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikimomView Post
Arlene, I just went to Kauai this summer and we have a time share on Maui so have been there numerous times. You will enjoy both. Maui has lots of activities and places to see. The Maui Ocean center is an excellent aquarium. If you like shows, Ulalena is wonderful, created with help from the same people who do Cirque du Soleil. For crafting supplies go to Island Paperie on Maui in Kahalui: http://islandpaperie.com/. If you want to do a zip line tour on either island make reservations a month in advance. They were all booked up by the time we arrived.

Kauai: take a boat trip along the Napali coast - beautiful. Oh, I see you like snorkeling, too. Lots of good places, pick up tourist magazines at airport and they will have maps of where to go, but ask at a snorkel dive shop as well. We stayed on the north side, so didn't get around to see Waimea Canyon (next time), but if you are staying on the south side, then it is a shorter driving distance. If you haven't got a place to stay on Kauai, take into consideration that the ocean is calmer on the south side in the winter, where as the north side is calmer in the summer. Snorkeling will probably be better on the south side when you go. The south side is where the major resorts are located, the north side is much quieter. Check ou the Kauai and Maui visitors' bureau on the web for more info.

Awesome prize, congratulations!

Kathy
Thanks, Kathy! DH and I have been to Maui and loved the Ocean Center and Ulalena! Where did you stay on Kauai?

Last edited by arlenevita; 09-15-2009 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 03:43 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Totally awesome prize because it includes flights, 5 nights at the Grand Wailea Resort (NEVER would pay those prices otherwise!), breakfast, and massages for 4 people thanks to the National Fluid Milk Promotion Board!! LOVE milk!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

When I was visiting in Ohau this past spring, I was surprised at the stamp selection at Walmart, believe it or not. They had wooden handled stamps with a lot of local flair. Muumuus, surfing, aloha shirts, mele kalikimaka (sp? merry xmas). They had large scrapbooking section, lots of papers and embellishments with pretty good prices (like a dollar more than I'd pay around here). Comparing their Walmart to mine here near Dallas...their scrapbooking section was huge! Might be worth a peek if you want a Walmart fix in general, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

We stayed at the Grand Wailea for 7 nights in January 2006 when we visited Maui...what an amazingly beautiful place. I will go there gain sometime. I did not visit any stamp stores but will try next time.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
Thanks, Kathy! DH and I have been to Maui and loved the Ocean Center and Ulalena! Where did you stay on Kauai?
We stayed at the Westin Princeville, we traded our Maui Westin timeshare week for the one in Kauai. I thought of one more thing to consider when selecting a place to stay: We were a few miles from the town of Hanalei and there is a small one lane bridge over a creek just before you get to town. Well, one day there were torrential downpours for a few hours and they had to close the bridge until later that night as the water came up too high. That is the only road in or out of that north section of the island, the road ends a few miles further. So, no one staying in that area would have been able to get to the airport that day! Oh my, stuck in paradise... great excuse to tell your boss you need extra vacation time, LOL.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I'd be stuck in paradise WITH my "boss"...I work with DH who owns a quick printing shop. Our one employee would be the one upset if we left him alone any longer than we already have planned!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I actually would just like to call him up and say "Sorry! We're never coming back! Just send us the money every money!" LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Roses on Paper is located in Hawaii. No idea if it's a brick and mortar store though.

Summer (store owner) is an angel to deal with and I have bought supplies from her online previously.

Last edited by lilian; 09-17-2009 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

If you are headed to Cute Stuff...there's a scrapbook store nearby located at Kahala Mall called Pineapple Cove (website:PineappleCoveDesigns.com). They have great prices and big selection of paper.

On the Big Island, there's a store called Island Scrapbooking located in Hilo.

Have a wonderful trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

For the original poster- Love Ko Olina! Beautiful coves with peaceful water.

Went to Kauai in June and stayed at the Marriott Resort and Beach Club. Great choice between the gorgeous pool or a short walk to the beach. Had to watch the waves though. They had some surprising waves that would knock you off your feet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

We visit Ko Olina every year at Christmas! My favorite place (lss and stamp/craft) store in Honolulu is Photocrafts. You have to drive there, not too far from Honolulu Zoo. They have a crop room, and lots of goodies to drool over. My next trip, I hope to visit Cute Stuff, Pineapple Cove and J's Knicknacks. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Default Maui update for Arlene

Arlene, I live on Maui and the suggestions you've been given are good ones. Island Paperie is a great resource for Hawaii themed scrapbooking products. Surprisingly enough, so is Walmart...though they are currently renovating the store and it is a total nightmare. Last time I was in they said it would be done sometime in October but I'll believe that when I see it. Ben Franklin crafts at the Kaahumanu Center also has a lot of stamping and scrapping supplies.

Ulalena is a don't miss experience in my opinion. If you're staying at the Grand Wailea and want a special meal, I recommend Joe's Wailea (or the sister restaurant, Haliimaile General Store upcountry), Sansei (fabulous sushi and more in a somewhat non-descript location, don't be fooled) and Mala's at the Marriott (right next door to the Grand). Check and see if Sorrento's is still offering their starlight special - eat after 8pm and get 3 fabulous courses plus 5 star service for $24.95. Incredible value.

More mid-range dining values include Cafe O'lei and Seawatch (great views, go for breakfast). Absolutely book the zipline - there are a few of them now. Spend the money. It's worth it. And splurge on the spa at the Grand. It is world class and you won't have another experience like it.

To the OP, you've been given great info about Oahu. I'm not sure if you're going to the Hilo side or the Kona side on the Big Island, but don't miss Kilauea volcano. If you're in Hilo, a stop at Big Island candies (home of the VERY best macnut shortbread in the world) is essential. Sorry, no scrapping or dining recommendations there!

Hope you both have a wonderful trip.

Please visit my blog: The Maui Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiannaView Post
Arlene, I live on Maui and the suggestions you've been given are good ones. Island Paperie is a great resource for Hawaii themed scrapbooking products. Surprisingly enough, so is Walmart...though they are currently renovating the store and it is a total nightmare. Last time I was in they said it would be done sometime in October but I'll believe that when I see it. Ben Franklin crafts at the Kaahumanu Center also has a lot of stamping and scrapping supplies.

Ulalena is a don't miss experience in my opinion. If you're staying at the Grand Wailea and want a special meal, I recommend Joe's Wailea (or the sister restaurant, Haliimaile General Store upcountry), Sansei (fabulous sushi and more in a somewhat non-descript location, don't be fooled) and Mala's at the Marriott (right next door to the Grand). Check and see if Sorrento's is still offering their starlight special - eat after 8pm and get 3 fabulous courses plus 5 star service for $24.95. Incredible value.

More mid-range dining values include Cafe O'lei and Seawatch (great views, go for breakfast). Absolutely book the zipline - there are a few of them now. Spend the money. It's worth it. And splurge on the spa at the Grand. It is world class and you won't have another experience like it.

To the OP, you've been given great info about Oahu. I'm not sure if you're going to the Hilo side or the Kona side on the Big Island, but don't miss Kilauea volcano. If you're in Hilo, a stop at Big Island candies (home of the VERY best macnut shortbread in the world) is essential. Sorry, no scrapping or dining recommendations there!

Hope you both have a wonderful trip.
Thanks SO much! Massages at the Grand's spa are included in my prize!!

What can you tell me about Kauai?? The four of us are going there first and need to know where to stay and what to see. I don't have my map right here so don't know the city's name...it seems that staying in/near the city with the airport might be a central location. Am I to understand that in Nov., weather-wise, it's best to snorkel/stay near that city and south of that city? We'd like non-cookie cutter/more local places to stay on Kauai. Inexpensive, safe, clean, quiet with a safe and a fridge would be great. We don't need to be at a resort since the room is basically for sleeping after all the adventures we'll be doing during the day. We're only staying at the Grand on Maui because I won that...WAY out of our price range normally!

Another fun thing on Maui is the protea flower stand on the way to Haleakala (sp?)...is it Sunrise Protea Farm? A nice little break for a snack and feeding the birds while looking at the unusual flowers. I think we found some fun souvenier leis at Walmart that had macnuts in them...besides ALL the ABC stores I went to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Anne, where do you recommend for "walk into the water from the beach" snorkeling ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Thanks ladies, we will have a car on Oahu and have already allocated a day for shopping to buy all the things we miss and 'need' to take back to Malaysia with us and of course stamping supplies is at the top of the list - just don't tell DH LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Arlene,

I don't get to Kauai much so I can't help you there.

Sunrise Protea is a nice stop and yes, it's still there.

Walk in the water snorkeling is easy. The folks at the Grand will be able to give you lots of options. We like Ulua Beach, a short walk along the waterfront sidewalk. From your hotel, walk towards the Marriott (away from the Four Seasons) to the next small beach. There are usually divers around the point on the far end of that beach and it's a great place to snorkel, too.

You can also head to the Maui Prince (it's just been placed under new management, don't know the new name) and there's great snorkeling off the beach there. Lots of people like Kaanapali/Napili for snorkeling, but that's at least a 45 min drive. You can even snorkel between the Grand and the Marriott. Watch for turtles in front of the Marriott as you walk the path, they're often out (right in front of the 2nd pool - not the one with the infinity edge but the next one away from you).

Have a great time.

Please visit my blog: The Maui Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Any tips on which Molokini snorkeling boat trip to take??? A morning one, I know, but which company??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Aloha! Just returned from Kaua'i and Maui last night...WAAAA!!!!Thanks for the info on Island Paperie and Walmart! Found Made in Hawaii paper and rubber stamp goodies there and at the Ben Franklin.
Reply With Quote Likes