Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Do you let kids use your stamps?
I let my own kids use my stamps alone. 54 30.00%
I let my own kids use my stamps with supervision. 105 58.33%
I let my students use my stamps. 8 4.44%
I would never think of letting kids stain my stamps! 13 7.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2005, 06:54 PM   #41  
LOSTchick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let my kids use my stamp sets with supervision. They are really good at cleaning them & not mixing colors. I've let them stamp with me stuff for the last several years. When I was a demo, my son's kinder teacher would ask him how to do certain things & he'd be able to tell her! I think it's good to let them be creative. They can use their own stamps & my old style pads w/o any supervision.

Melissa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaylynConover
SPEW ALERT!!

Okay, now I'm laughing hysterically! Can't wait 'till my two figure that out.... Oy! ~ K

My daughter does that with the rubber pieces left over too! The weirdos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 PM   #43  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow KAYLYNCONOVER, you sound like a rad and cool chick to me!
I'm the same way !
I think pristine sets from other years are so sad
mine are loved!
I still have moments, though like Saturday when I turned around at a kid event and the newly mounted crayon alphabet was a disaster! All covered with Basic Black and on the STICKER SIDE too!!! but all my Stampin' Spots were untouched and that was lucky ! I just told myself, "it's no biggie! I'll make new stickers if they're not legible after a good scubbing"
I think I was only jealous that I hadn't messed them up myself! LOL!!!

I've posted this hint lots of times in many different threads but the response I get is usually HUGE so here goes...

only give kids the color of their bedding, carpet or the dining room chairs so if they goof it is camouflaged !and only one color at a time!

My 2 y-oldDS has been stamping forever ('tamtamp, mama' was a very first phrase!) AWWWW!
He helps himself to the kid-themed bin of stamps and I open his inkpad, if he asks nicely.
He can do whatever he wants( "only on the paper, Son!") with his color, creamy caramel, because that is the color of our carpet !!!! get it?
He just uses crayons to colorize his creations and we make cards often so he gets a "fix" too!
Our dining room set is pumkin pie color, so he'll be able to stamp in there when his new classic pad comes !
If he needs a color image he just uses his crayola markers to color on the stamp and he knows about "huffing" and stamps it out!
Usually, this is just with 'solids' like the cars from "going places" but he's had the paw from "Button Bear" since he was 8 months old and has put blue "Clues" all over the house !
mostly only on the little removable circle stickers I gave him so I'm not scrubbing all the paint off the walls!

oh! and he makes his own stamps with extra blocks and off-cuts and is so proud! love him!too cute!!!

hope this helps all you out !
we have to protect and nurture creativity in all its forms! if only because it is so INSPIRING to the rest of us!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 07:58 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 436 Likes on 168 Posts

I do allow my kindergarteners to use my stamps on occassion. In fact, I've put many of my retired, or individual stamps I have bought over my 25 years as a teacher in a center they are allowed to use. There is not one thing that has ever messed up these stamps. They are cleanable ( I have no big preferance for perfect wood mounts without ink splotches). I'd rather see a well used stamp than one that looks like it's never been touched. Just like an old teddy bear, the more wear it shows, the more love it shared!!! JMO!
I usually take the time to train my students to clean the stamps off with baby wipes as they get finished with a color, just as I train them to wash out their brushes good before they change colors in their watercolor boxes.
I have to agree with whoever it was above who implied that the kids are more trainable than the parents. lol

I am a little more picky with my ink pads however. Maybe I'll add the retired colors to my stamping center at school. They will love them!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 07:59 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Do you let your kids use your stamps?

My kids are 12 and 7 and I let them both use my stamps, I am a little bit selfish about the SU paper-depends on what we are doing! I have bought the
little pre packed cards/envelopes on occasion for them to have- put in stockings/eater baskets so they have their own stuff. They can use my markers under supervision-but I did by my daughter her own. My daughter(the 7 year old) also has her own ink pads after a little mistake that I made letting her use my spectrum pads- you can only imagine- it was my fault as I never explained the difference to her before we started using it. Oh well. Live and learn. By no means do I let other kids use my stuff. NO WAY HOSE'!
My kids love stamping as much as I do! When something comes up that we need gifts ofr they immediately think of stamping! (I trained them well! LOL).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 08:13 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

I let my daughters use them any time 5 and 9. I also am a Brownie Leader and let my troop use them. Ya they get a little inky but I get them that way to. I would rather have them used than not.

I had a B day party for my 9 year old and we did crafts some stamping and making bath salts and the girls said that they all wished their mothers were like me and would craft with them. I just hope my daughter heard them ;).

I'm having a craft day and inviting my friends with kids so we will see how it goes. Only thing is I do hide my classic black with the kids. Only my 9 year old can use that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 08:36 AM   #47  
Glitter Guru

My 4 year old girls have their own set of SU Kids stamp pads and I have a few smaller SU stamps that I got from a friend that are not part of a set but ones I would never use (a bow, a dove, a funky heart, etc..) and I have let them pick stamps from the $1 bin at Micheals so they have their own set of stamps too.

I have taught them well by giving them their own stuff they have never (well should I say never YET...) touched my stamping and scrapping stuff.

When they get older and can respect my stuff then they will be allowed to use it...

as a previous poster stated it is not really the stamps I have heartburn with it is my stamp pads....ugg thier pink kids stamp pad is a mess because they just stamp in all the colors...even though I have tried to teach them how to clean their stamps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #48  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I probably stain my stamps more than the kids. I try to clean them on a regular basis but oh well......the best laid plans and all that stuff.

The grandkids and daycare kids have the Crayon Fun Kids and Alphabet and Numbers and the Kids At Play. These are the ones they use most. They also use some of my Michaels stamps. Most of my others don't interest them right now.I supervise the stamp pads until I can get them their own.

My 9 year old granddaughter can use anything she wants to after we played together for awhile and she was able to clean them.

I'm just not picky about stained wood. I'm careful but if it doesn't come off I just don't stress about it.

I guess I look at my investment a little different. Instead of preserving my investment in perfect condition I kinda like being able to see that I am using it and putting my money to good use.

I probably took this attitude because try as I might I can't keep them clean anyway. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 10:24 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Absolutely i let Jonathan [ 6 yrs. old] use my stamps!!! He also has his own kids stamps too. However, i do supervise his use of my ink pads, although he has never mixed colors. He does have [cheap ones] of his own now. He cleans every stamp after use :-) He is so good about the stamps. In fact, this is a hobby we thoroughly enjoy together! I just arranged our extra room last week to hold my sewing stuff and stamping stuff. I put in an 8 foot table for us to stamp on. We sit together and create! I did get him some crayola markers, because he was ruining my good ones by pressing too hard. By the way, since i have started stamping, my sewing has fallen to the back burner :-) I wonder why??

Janice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 11:30 AM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sounds like I'm mostly the minority here, but, HECK NO! My DS's touch everything in the house and I am pretty easy going about it, but my stamps are MY STAMPS. They know that my desk is "Mommy's space" and that they aren't allowed to touch anything on the desk. They have their own collection of non-expensive stamps and inks to play with.

"It would be crazy to choose this world over Eternity."
-Mercy Me

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cool

I have 2 teenage daughters, I do let them use my stamps and ink pads for school projects or just to make cards, however, I just wish they would put the correct stamps back in the correct box...am I being anal about wanting my sets to be complete? LOL I also like them to "clean" the stamps, UGHHHHHHHH teenagers! GOT TO LOVE 'EM!

StampBee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #52  
PAPER SCAPER

The last time my granddaughter used my stamps she was about twelve. I showed her how to use them and clean them and we worked on a Girl Scout project for a children's charity. Big deal if she would have mixed an ink color or got ink on the wood. IT'S A THING! What she learned from the project was far more important than ink on the wood. Besides I like ink on the wood, it lets the world know I use it and you know what, I've mixed the ink myself and I'm a grown up!

Rox
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #53  
The Digi-Freak

My daughter is 2.5 so I supervise ;)

Reply With Quote Likes