Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2004, 08:09 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kimberely,

Just to be clear, even tho I singled out a quote from Edith (not you!), my feelings came from reading several posts. I apologize if I offended you. I was not stating a position either way on the "cheating" - just on the feeling that Demos are just out to "sell, sell, sell" at their customer's expense.

To answer one of your questions, (maybe they were all rhetorical??), Of course if you were on a tight budget, I would rather you get the stamp set - and if any of my customers asked me that question, I would tell them that with no hesitation. In fact, I would bet most Demos would - that's exactly my point.

A few of the posts just struck me as a little insensitive to Demos in general - I happen to think most of us are pretty nice ppl (and I bet you do too!)

Have a great day!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 08:25 AM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Keagle/Kimerly - I'm GLAD you posted too! I love the different views and opinions I find in these forums! YES - even the ones I don't agree with! As a demo, my goal is to share my love of stamping. I know it sounds corny - but it's true! I signed up to get a discount, so having done that, it seems silly to buy anywhere else when I can buy from myself. I feel that w/my discount I get same or similar prices on most items. In MN we have Michael's and Joann w/their coupons and I used to use them all the time on the high dollar stuff like cutter, crimper, brayer, etc. And I will agree with anyone who suggests that at a workshop that is a better value for those stamping dollars. And it comes up pretty regularly, so there really isn't much to add. Everyone decides for themselves. I just highlight what SU! CAN do for each person. Some buy from me because they are getting a one stop shop and others will hold out for coupons. Also - at every workshop I get asked about inks and cardstock. I come right out and say you can use ANY inks and ANY cardstock or paper and ANY markers with SU! stamps. I then go on to say that I would love to sell those items to them on their order and explain the ease of coordinating inks and papers when SU! has matched them up so beautifully. I also show US white and US vanilla w/comparable sheets from Archivers or WalMart so they can see the quality. I'm not suggesting the others are inferior - merely showing the difference. I encourage everyone to make their own choice. My goal is to get customers to make use of the products/stamps I sell them. And if that means they buy markers or whatever someplace else that's fine by me. I'm just happy to share my hobby. For my own personal use, I like the SU! products, and I've compared prices (here in MN) and it's very competitive for me w/discount and overrides at the stores I shop so I just go with SU! for convenience and to add to my sales. For those who aren't demos, you have to decide where would be best to spend those precious stamping dollars, and believe me - I know and appreciate how precious they are.

So keep posting samples and great topics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 08:29 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

BTW - I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear more about mono for $1.88. I have to admit (even as a demo ) that I wouldn't be passing on that deal! What is Viking, and where is the nearest location???

In MN we have the Vikings, but didn't think they were selling mono during halftime! LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 08:40 AM   #44  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by stardust
... I singled out a quote from Edith
I haven't been following this thread for a few hours.... and so didn't realize that my thoughts had been taken as "insensitive to demos". I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

But please let me defend myself & my thoughts. Having read many posts by demos... not only this thread.... what seems to be communicated is that we (non demos, but loyal customers) are doing demos a disservice by purchasing from other places. Yes, I understand it is your business & I certainly wish you great success. However, as I have limited funds available to "support my hobby", it therefore behooves me to be careful where I spend my $$.

If I have misinterpreted what has been said, please forgive me. It is not my intention to flame anyone or be "insensitive" - I am sure you are all great people.

~~ today. . . ~~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #45  
Embossing Fanatic

I used to 'cheat' and buy some items from retail locations. Until one of the speakers at convention this year made a very good point.

Everything we purchase from SU gives us Great Rewards $$, special incentive $$$, monthly goal $$$, and cruise points!

I am working toward the cruise this year and when I look back to how much I spent at retail locations last year...I would have been very close to earning the cruise! All of those extra spifs really do add up! Who can say no to a FREE CRUISE just for stampin'!?

And how about acheiving the next level for your monthly sales? An extra 1% can really make a difference on your check!

:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 08:59 AM   #46  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first read the post-I thought about how it applied to ME as a demo. I replied with my own perspective and only from me, so yes, I consider myself "cheating" buying from Viking, or if I bought from a craft store.

That said, I do NOT consider any of my customers "cheating" when they do not buy solely from SU. They ask me outright about what is cheaper at a craft store, and I answer them honestly. It occurs so much that I would never consider it rude-just them trying to get a break on items. I would never recommend any craft store's paper, ink, or stamps (or even eyelets) b/c I really do think there is a difference in quality. But fiskars items? I tell them go to Micheal's in a heartbeat.

Just because I as a demo would not buy from a craft store, does not mean I am upset a customer does. I am a demo because I love to stamp, and honestly like helping people achieve that "Wow! I really did that!" factor. I feel like if I started being one of those "ONLY SU" people, I would lose customers. I have seen demos wrinkle their noses about a customer saying they used scissors that weren't SU to cut stamps, or got something at a craft store and I thought it was rude. SO, I vowed I would never act like that. My customers even joke and refer to it as "The M store" when they ask me questions, but they ask b/c they know I will be honest! That may not be what starts people stamping and buying SU products from me, but I have a feeling that is what keeps them buying from me. Just MHO (for what that's worth!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 09:11 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

I only 'cheat' if it's the exact same product as SU. The mono, crimper, etc that not even the strictest demo could tell it wasn't purchased from SU. The SU inks and CS are hands down superior to other brands and would never try to pass off non SU ink and CS as SU. For my own personal use I will use other brands if I like them and SU doesn't carry them.

Like others have said...how do you expect your customers to buy SU products if you don't. I don't heavily promote the SU crimper, Stazon, Versamark or paper cutter because I know that they can be purchased elsewhere much cheaper and my customers know this without me telling them. I use the products in my demos, but when a customer asks if it's the same as they can buy at Hobby Lobby or Michaels I tell them it is. I would want my demo to be honest with me, so I am honest with my customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 09:32 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

Default Do you Cheat

I'm not a demo, but, does anybody remember the Movie, Miracle on 34th st. when the Santa Claus was telling customers where to buy things at other stores. They were upset at first, but it actually increased their business. Most people want to deal with honest and helpful sales people. I have a great demonstrator. She knows I buy things elsewhere. But, I'm sure she would tell you I'm one of her best customers. I love Stampin Up products and would much prefer purchasing, as others have stated their high quality cardstocks, inks and stamp sets. She has never been pushy and because of Stampin Up I consider now to be a good friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 09:45 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to add one more comment ...

EYELETS FROM SU are much better!!!! I hammer the heck out of the other non-SU brands that I have bought all over the internet and local stores. And the SU eyelets are very easy to add to your works of art!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 10:26 AM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by edith199

But please let me defend myself & my thoughts. Having read many posts by demos... not only this thread.... what seems to be communicated is that we (non demos, but loyal customers) are doing demos a disservice by purchasing from other places. Yes, I understand it is your business & I certainly wish you great success. However, as I have limited funds available to "support my hobby", it therefore behooves me to be careful where I spend my $$.

If I have misinterpreted what has been said, please forgive me. It is not my intention to flame anyone or be "insensitive" - I am sure you are all great people.
Just so *I'm* clear as well - I never said nor meant to imply that anyone is obligated to buy anything from a Demo. You probably weren't directing that at me, but since this is such a public forum, I just wanted to make myself clear. I'm all for saving money! I buy mono from Viking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 10:33 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I guess I will just have to respectfully disagree. Though I have seen a few (very few) posts that might be interpreted that way, I think it's not the way the majority of us feel. The biggest dilemma (sp?) for Demos in this thread seems to be how do *we* save money! LOL As I said before, I took offense to the statement that we Demos think you are "obligated" to buy everything from us. I just love being a Demo, stamping, and making things by hand. Making money at this is a bonus - not one that I mind, granted, but I hope people who buy from me feel like they are getting their money's worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 10:45 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
When I first read the post-I thought about how it applied to ME as a demo. I replied with my own perspective and only from me, so yes, I consider myself "cheating" buying from Viking, or if I bought from a craft store.

That said, I do NOT consider any of my customers "cheating" when they do not buy solely from SU. They ask me outright about what is cheaper at a craft store, and I answer them honestly. It occurs so much that I would never consider it rude-just them trying to get a break on items. I would never recommend any craft store's paper, ink, or stamps (or even eyelets) b/c I really do think there is a difference in quality. But fiskars items? I tell them go to Micheal's in a heartbeat.

Just because I as a demo would not buy from a craft store, does not mean I am upset a customer does. I am a demo because I love to stamp, and honestly like helping people achieve that "Wow! I really did that!" factor. I feel like if I started being one of those "ONLY SU" people, I would lose customers. I have seen demos wrinkle their noses about a customer saying they used scissors that weren't SU to cut stamps, or got something at a craft store and I thought it was rude. SO, I vowed I would never act like that. My customers even joke and refer to it as "The M store" when they ask me questions, but they ask b/c they know I will be honest! That may not be what starts people stamping and buying SU products from me, but I have a feeling that is what keeps them buying from me. Just MHO (for what that's worth!)
Ah, yes - THIS is what I meant to say! Thank you, camsmom, for posting this - I should have been more clear in my posts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 11:16 AM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Default cheating

I'm a fairly new demo (started Feb. this year), so I also cheat with the Mono. I've also been going to Staples for my envelopes. I can buy 250 in one box and cut down trips to a near by city for supplies! I find I have trouble selling the mono from the catty when I know it's so much cheaper at Office Depo or Staples.

I also give my immediate family a 15% discount, and my 2 best friends a 10% discount to make thing more affordable for them. What are friends & family for, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 11:31 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by keagle

Wish I had not posted now ...

Kimberly
Kimberly,
Don't be afraid to speak your opinion. Although there were people who did not agree with you, there may be people out there who think you're right on but they don't speak up. Your opinion is important to this site and that's what this place is all about. This place is not for just SU! Demos and not everyone will agree. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree. Keep posting!

Cristen
Member #7840!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 11:42 AM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am a demo and used to buy envelopes from Staples and mono from Viking. Then I went to convention... I am no longer buying anything but SU! and that is because I choose to. I also want to earn the cruise and more great rewards $$ ( I REALLY want that Coach purse!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 11:50 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm the same way about the envelopes. I buy SU! because that's what I want. My 2 best customers (who are also good friends) buy theirs at the office supply store. This is totally a personal choice and works out for me because they have extra money to spend on stamps! Everybody wins!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 12:04 PM   #57  
Forum Fanatic

"The biggest dilemma (sp?) for Demos in this thread seems to be how do *we* save money! "

Sorry, I didn't realize that the question posed was for demos. I thought it was open for anyone to post their responses...

Like Keagle said, I'm sorry I posted anything. A lesson learned for future consideration I guess.

~~ today. . . ~~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 12:07 PM   #58  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

"The biggest dilemma (sp?) for Demos in this thread seems to be how do *we* save money! "

Sorry, I didn't realize that the question posed was for demos. I thought it was open for anyone to post their responses...

Like Keagle said, I'm sorry I posted anything. A lesson learned for future consideration I guess.
IMO, if the post was only for Demos it should have been included in the demo only forum. You are welcome to post on any board. You're a member of SCS & you don't have to be a Demo to belong here. We've all got the love of stamping in common.
Member #7840!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 12:17 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

I wasn't thinking this was a demo only topic either. I think everybody has to decide for themselves what to do and the choices we all make will be based on whether we are a demo or a customer. As a demo, I feel I really should be promoting my business, especially at workshops. As a customer, I was all about getting the best price. I'll admit to that as a demo too! Heck! When I see posts about mono refills for $1.88 I have to admit, I sat up and took notice!! But it's a trade off for me, because it takes away from my sales goals so I have to decide if it's worth it to me to do it that way. But as a customer, these gals aren't trying to earn the cruise or great rewards pts or even the next commission level. They are just after great values to get more for their stamping dollars.

Please don't feel bad about posting questions and generating discussion. I think it's GREAT to see all these different perspectives and it helps me to sort of see how customers struggle to make choices. I'd feel terrible if my customers (most of whom are friends) felt I was pushy about SU! products.

(I hope this isn't coming out as flames! That's not my intent...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 12:27 PM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by clransom
Quote:

IMO, if the post was only for Demos it should have been included in the demo only forum. You are welcome to post on any board. You're a member of SCS & you don't have to be a Demo to belong here. We've all got the love of stamping in common.
Gosh, this keeps getting worse instead of better. :( I don't think anyone meant to imply the question was for demos only. It's just if you ask a question like this, a customer will answer from a customer point-of-view and a Demo from a Demo point-of-view. What is wrong with that?

Oh well. I will chalk this up to not having enough emoticons to fully express myself! :shock:

Seriously, tho, I didn't mean to upset anyone. Enough said (from me).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 01:35 PM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay, I'd like to cheat with this Viking adhesive--if somebody could just enable me a little bit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 02:38 PM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

This is my 1st time posting here...but I couldn't not reply! LOL!
First-I don't think it is cheating to buy stuff elsewhere for less money. It is SENSIBLE.
That said, I find myself buying more and more only SU products. Including the metal edge tags. Why?? QUALITY. I can tell an SU! tag from another tag. Plus SU! tags come without the holes in them. I love that! I also started out buying my cardstock, eyelets... etc.. and what not elsewhere, but couldn't figure what my cards were "missing". Then I realized it was the coordination.
I am a borderline "hobby" demo. I hold one mystery hostess workshop a month to "support my habit". heeheehee. And I do let the customers know if they can get something as good at Michaels...etc...(heck! I worked there too untill last Friday!) Like a crimper or white paper bags or a heat gun...etc...I'd rather them spend their money on the important stuff that will affect the quality of their cards.
But I agree in that something that one person is fine with (like tags) another person may not want to compromise. So to each their own. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes