Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face wedding invitations

My niece made her brothers wedding invitations and they were beautiful. As a result she has had people ask her if she would make their's. Does anyone have any hints and tips about charging to make invitations? We'll be glad to have any advice. Thanks so much.
Lynn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

i've seen letterpress invites on Etsy go for MINIMUM $600... and that's with a machine!

I know when I made my own invitations (and my best friends invitations for his wedding) it took us 2 nights to put together some fairly fancy cards (it was 4 of us working together for about 5 hours total).. so if she can get some people together to help her it would certainly cut down on costs but here's what i estimate based on what it cost me:

$200 for supplies (not including postage stamps)
$30/hour for labour

so maybe $450-$500??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I say it depends how much you add to them.
I made some really simple ones last month and charged $2.75 each.
I went to a local invite place here and they were similar to the ones I was making and they were charging $3.00 for the same style and amount.
But the invites were very simple, so I guess depends on what you are making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
i've seen letterpress invites on Etsy go for MINIMUM $600... and that's with a machine!

I know when I made my own invitations (and my best friends invitations for his wedding) it took us 2 nights to put together some fairly fancy cards (it was 4 of us working together for about 5 hours total).. so if she can get some people together to help her it would certainly cut down on costs but here's what i estimate based on what it cost me:

$200 for supplies (not including postage stamps)
$30/hour for labour

so maybe $450-$500??
Heck, I think my basic black print on white cardstock with an embossed rectangular frame cost that nearly 20 years ago. And they weren't handmade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh my goodness... I made 200 invitations for my wedding (which is next Saturday! EEK!)... hand stamped with velum/ribbon and a photo... it took me and 8 other people many MANY hours to make and prepare them to mail... eeeeeesh I think I would charge at least $3.00 an invite and that would be for the most basic! If I were to make invites like mine, I would charge 4.50 or 5.00!! They took forever!!! I was *planning* to stamp programs, but after the invitation fiasco I decided no way! Maybe if it were a smaller wedding...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

I am currently 185 making invites for my daughter for a formal dinner she and 5 classmates are having (she is a hospitality tourism management major and this is for their senior project). They are 3 layers of cardstock, the bottom layer scored and folded over the top, a layer of vellum, ribbon in a no tie bow and a gold embossed design on the vellum. Also making 2 layer response cards with the gold embossed design. All printing is computer generated. Because it is for my daughter, I am doing it for the price of supplies only, but if I was getting paid, I would charge at least $6 each set.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My gift to a good friend was to do her invites (she asked me to do them, BTW, and I then chose to make it her gift). She paid for the materials and we had a group that put the pieces together. After going through that experience of doing (150? I forget now) of the same thing ... not fun! I'd be cautious of turning a beloved hobby into "work" IYKWIM.
Reply With Quote Likes