Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   dinner challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/dinner-challenge-211107/)

Salster 01-15-2007 02:05 PM

OK, now I'm starving...wonder if I can train my cat to start dinner around noon and have it ready when I get home!?!? heheheh

pam wilson 01-15-2007 02:30 PM

Oh, yeah, this is a GREAT one! DH and I had this for dinner tonight and I highly recommend it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternity
Here is my favorite

Pork Chops and Gravy

� cup all-purpose flour
� tsp. garlic powder
� tsp. salt
1 � tsp. dry mustard
6 pork chops
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1 can cream of mushroom

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; dredge pork shops in flour mixture, and set aside.
Combine remaining flour mixture and cream of mushroom in electric slow cooker.
Pour oil into a large skillet; place over medium heat until hot. Cook chops in hot oil just until browned on both sides; place in slow cooker.
Cook, covered, on high 2 to 2 � hours or until chops are tender. Serve with hot cooked rice

scrappersister 01-15-2007 02:59 PM

I use my crockpot at least one weekend day a week. It gives me a lot of time to do what I want or need to do and than at 6 PM I have a good hearty meal to serve. Yesterday, I made a beef stew.My husband loves it as much as I do. I have been using a crokpot faithfully for the past 8 years. Thanks for sending all of the recipes there are a few I will be trying for sure. :)

Mary

psychkim 01-19-2007 09:02 PM

Bumping for more suggestions to try this week :)

Rockchalkstamper 01-20-2007 07:58 AM

Crock Pot Stroganoff

Here's a great recipe for Beef Stroganoff. And it makes a lot too!

1 lb. stew meat cut in 2" pieces
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can beef broth
1 medium chopped onion
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 (4 oz.) can mushroom pieces, drained

Cook the above ingredients in covered crock pot for 8-10 hours on low. Then turn crock pot to high and add:
1 can cream of mushroom soup (small can)
1 cup sour cream
1 T. paprika

You can add 3 T cornstorch mixed in 1/4 cup cold water to thicken. Blend until smooth and heat through. Serve over cooked noodles. It smells wonderful while it's cooking!

Enjoy!!:D

wiggynine 01-20-2007 09:35 AM

Here's one I tried last week. It makes great sandwiches.

BBQ Shredded Pork

1 (6-7 pound) boneless pork butt, cut in half
salt and pepper
6 to 7 cups bbq sauce
Cider Vinegar
tabasco

Season the pork with salt and pepper and place in cooker. Pour the bbq sauce over pork, cover and cook on either low or high til pork is fork-tended and falling apart, 10 to 11 hours on low, or 7 to 8 hours on high.

Transfer meat to a bowl and allow cooking liquid to settle for 5 minutes, then skim the fat. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, cider vinegar, and tabasco to taste.

When the pork is cool enough, shred the meat, discarding fat and gristle. Toss the shredded meat with 1 cup of the cooking sauce, adding more to keep the meat moist.

Serve on hamburger rolls.

Linda

psychkim 01-22-2007 07:26 PM

Bumping for more great recipes :)

dianerh 01-22-2007 09:07 PM

So...if I don't like anise or black licorice, will I not like the recipe?

dianerh 01-22-2007 09:11 PM

I better clarify...I'm referring to the Tarragon Chicken recipe when I asked if I'll like it or not if I don't like anise. ;-)

jor 01-23-2007 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianerh
I better clarify...I'm referring to the Tarragon Chicken recipe when I asked if I'll like it or not if I don't like anise. ;-)

Diane, I made it last week and the tarragon isn't that strong when you end up eating it. Even my daughter loved it. It's a keeper recipe for us now!

dianerh 01-23-2007 04:29 AM

Maybe I'll try it then. Thanks!

mcschmidty 01-23-2007 05:03 AM

yumm

Subscribing to try some of these recipes!

I had a dinner party this weekend.

EASY< EASY< EASY!!! Roast in the crock pot

Beef roast (rump or sirloin)
1/2 pkg Italian dressing (packet you make your own dressing with)
I added red wine 3/4 cup (I used Cabernet Sauvignon)

Cook on low

There was not a drop of it left on any plate...... I usually do not like the taste of alcohol on or in food, but this was melt in your mouth delicous! I used the juice as pour over the meat- no gravy!

Thanks for this thread- looks like chicken for dinner tonight (and stampin today).

Shelly

mcschmidty 01-23-2007 05:15 AM

above

I just wanted to add to above- my kids do not like the taste of potato's with the meat in the crock pot, so I make them on the side (usually boiled red potato's (quick and easy too!)

The chicken is already in the crock pot- so glad to have found this thread today!!!

Choc Brownie Pudding Cake for dessert! Yum!!!

Shelly

kristransue 01-24-2007 04:23 AM

Slightly different question . . .

Anyone have any suggestions for casserole type dinners you can make in advance and then stick in the oven to cook at a later time?

I like the crockpot recipes, but would also love something I could tell DH or someone to pop in the oven for 2 hours if I am running late or at work.

stampandscrap1954 01-24-2007 08:09 AM

I lOVE crockpot recipes!! What a great post!

allamericanstampers 01-24-2007 08:47 AM

I'm making the Tarragon Chicken tonight. :grin: Just enough time to get it started...

Last week I made Open Faced Meatball Sandwiches from my Southern Living Slowcooker cookbook. My husband always wants me to try a meatball sandwich at the subshop but I'd rather go for a gyro or philly cheese sandwich. I thought I would make it up to him and he loved this...also had enough leftovers to serve over spaghetti two nights later. Double good deal!!

24 frozen meatballs (if you have Trader Joes, theirs are super!!)
1 26 oz. chunky pasta sauce
1 15 oz Italian style tomato sauce
1 5.5 oz can spicy tomato juice (I didn't have it and it was fine without it!)
hoagie rolls
shredded mozzarella

Combine first 4 in a slow cooker and cook on high one hour. Reduce heat to low and cook 4.5 - 5 hours or until slightly thickened. Spoon onto rolls and sprinkle on cheese. This served us 4, for two meals. :wink:

PS. Mcschmidty...how long do I cook the roast? Sounds yummy!

handstampedhappiness 01-24-2007 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanwee1
Ok, I have one to share:

Crock Pot Chicken, Gravy & Stuffing
4 chicken breasts, boned and skinned
4 slices of swiss cheese
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 cup of chicken broth
1/4 cup milk
2 cups Stuffing Mix
1/2 c melted butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Season Chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in crockpot. Pour chicken broth over chicken breasts. Put one slice of cheese on each breast. Combine both cans of soup and milk & then pour on top of chicken. Sprinkle dry stuffing mix over all. Drizzle melted butter on top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

*Note: I like the swiss cheese, so I add more than one slice. This does make a lot of gravy so you could add more chicken/cheese. You could serve with potatoes or rice as well as a vegatable and have a complete meal. This is a family favorite at our house. ENJOY!!!

I make something similar to this but not in the crock pot. Going to have to try it! Thanks!!

cincimom 01-24-2007 10:51 AM

I'm making Melanwee 1's Crockpot Chicken, Gravy & Stuffing for dinner tonight. This is the greatest thread. I hate to cook and this makes life so much easier. Everything I have tried so far has been great. Thanks everyone!

Blestmomof6 01-24-2007 11:18 AM

Wow, this is awesome...I'd like to subscribe!!! Will have to go home and look up some recipes to share. Thanks everyone!!! These are great sounding recipes. Can't wait to try them!

Hoth2os 01-25-2007 04:20 PM

OKay I made Melanwee 1's Crockpot Chicken, Gravy & Stuffing tonight with a variation. My husband and son do not like stuffing so I made dumplings (with low-fat Bisquick - from the box) and added them about 3 hours before I wanted to serve dinner. It was FABULOUS!!!!! I also used provolone cheese(instead of swiss) and Trader Joe's 21 season salute (my fave). I should have added MORE chicken becasue I could eat the whole pot by myself! Thanks for the original recipe!

stamps&cars 01-26-2007 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loricabo
OK, I made the tarragon chicken dish yesterday. I think I may have screwed it up. The "sauce" was really runny, like broth. I guess I was expecting a creamy sauce. I didn't use frozen chicken. Is the sauce supposed to be runny? Did I mess up by using thawed chicken?

Mine was runny too......like thin soup? Thought maybe I had too much broth but it was 1 can like the receipe called for.

I asked DH if he liked it. He said "Well, it was okay but don't make it again." My family is so wierd!

psychkim 01-28-2007 05:56 AM

Posting for more recipes to try this week. I have been loving these crockpot recipes...they save so much time :)

Kittypaws 01-28-2007 06:59 AM

Here are a couple more recipes:

Crock Pot Beef in Beer

Brown 3 pounds stewing beef or ground round in pan, toss in 1/3 cup flour.
Mix 1 pack dry onion soup mix, 1 pack dry brown gravy mix, 1 drained can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms) and a 12-oz can of beer in crockpot, add meat. Cook 10 to 12 hours on low. Serves 4.

Crock Pot Pizza

1 1/2 pounds lean hamburger, browned with 1/2 onion and green pepper.
1 pack cooked rigatoni pasta
2 15-ounce cans pizza tomato sauce
fennel
1 or two large bag mozarella cheese
1 package pepperoni
Sliced mushrooms, fresh or canned (drained)

Layer ingredients in order listed above in the crock pot with meat mixture on bottom. Cook low for 5 hours. Makes a full pot.

Ham & Scalloped Potatoes

8 slices ham
10 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 coup water
1 cup grated cheddar (I use more)
2 onions, thinly sliced (I grate mine)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Paprika, salt & pepper to taste

Toss potatoes in water mixed with cream of tarter, drain. Put half of ham, potatoes & onions in crock pot, sprinkle with salt & pepper, then half the cheddar. Repeat with remaining half. Sppon undiluted soup over top. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover & cook on low 8 to 10 hours or high 4 hours.

Enjoy!

mrs_hawkins 01-28-2007 08:00 AM

I didn't register for a Crockpot when I got married, but my MIL bought us one and I'm so glad she did. I use it about once a week. This is my favorite recipe.

Mexican Corn Bread
1 lb. extra-lean ground beef (I use ground turkey)
16 oz can cream corn
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup oil
1 cup fat-free milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup taco sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4 oz. can diced green chilies

Brown meat in skillet, drain. Combine all ingredients, put in Crockpot. Cover. Cook on high 1 hour and on low for 4 hours or only on low for 6 hours.

Makes a delicious mushy dinner.

I am also pretty popular at parties for my Nippy Franks
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire
3 tbsp. b0urbon
1 lb. Li'l smokies

Combine everything but the smokies and mix well. Add the smokies. Cover. Cook on high 1 hour and low 1 hour. Serve warm.

Enjoy your time stamping instead of cooking!!!

pigfingers 01-28-2007 08:25 AM

Is that four pieces of frozen BONELESS? Or bone in?

kmgipson 01-28-2007 10:20 AM

Crock Pot Sloppy Joes

I have a great crock-pot recipe to share.

Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
2 pounds hamburger meat
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons mustard
3 tablespoons vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
2 medium onions, chopped
Hamburger buns

Brown the hamburger meat. Pour all other ingredients in a crock pot and cook for 6 to 8 hours on Low. Serve on toasted hamburger buns. You can also cook it on the stove by browning the meat and onions first, then pouring all other ingredients in and simmering on low for 20 to 30 minutes.

19stamper59 01-28-2007 01:01 PM

I tried Melanwee1's Chicken Crockpot Gravy and Stuffing recipe this weekend. It was so great that my husband (the picky one) wants me to make it again!

psychkim 01-28-2007 01:17 PM

Yup...It did Melanwee1's Chicken Crockpot gracy and stuffing and it was delicious also :) :) :)

I also did a beef stew that was great.

2 pounds cut up stew meat
1 packet of lipton onion soup mix
1 can beef boullion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans of water
pealed and cut up potatoes, carrots, onions and celery

Put the meat in the crockpot uncooked, salt and pepper meat, sprinkle soup mix on top, layer veggies on top, mix all the liquids in a bowl and pour over the top in the crockpot. Cook on low for 10 hours.

***I like the stew with more of a thin, clear broth so I left it like this but the recipe also said that you could add a can of cream of chicken soup in place of one of the cans of water OR you can add flour/cornstarch at the end for more of a thicker broth.

I thought it was good but it is a thinner broth using the "orignal recipe" but it was easy and good :)

psychkim 01-28-2007 01:18 PM

Sorry...should say 1 can beef broth vs boullion in my above post #148 :)

cuccicoo1002 01-28-2007 01:29 PM

WOW...just found this thread, there are some AWESOME recipes here! Thanks for sharing!

I saw that there was a recipe for chicken cacciatore already posted, but this one is a little diffrernt...I found this SUPER easy, and REALLY yummy...I serve it over white rice...YUM

2TBS oil
3 Lbs chicken breasts boneless ,skinless (I used boneless skinless thighs and it was awesome)
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 small onion, chopped,
1 pound fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced (I omitted these...don't eat them)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup dry red wine, or red cooking wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 TBS tomato paste
1 can (14.5 oz size) diced tomatoes, drained (I used ones already seasoned with basil, oregano, and garlic, and I omitted the following herbs)
1 tsp dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves

Directions:

Add onions to bottom of slow cooker stoneware. Add chicken, and then top chicken with remaining ingredients. Cover; cook on low 7 to 9 hours (High 4 to 5 hours)

Delish...now to find some meals to plan for this week...:)

The Gardener 01-28-2007 02:47 PM

Crockpots and Crafting

;) :D How logical! The house smells good all day, you have a yummy hot dinner ready in the evening and you're free to play all day!

stampinsweeney 01-30-2007 10:21 AM

Vegetable Stoup (Thicker than a soup, thinner than a stew)

1 Tb. Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Fresh Garlic (Chopped)
1 Cup Chopped Carrots
1 Cup Chopped Celery
1 Cup Chopped Potatoes
1 Chopped Onion
1 Large Can Tomato Juice
1 12 oz Can of Chicken (or Veggie) Broth
1 Cup Frozen Peas
1 Cup Frozen Green Beans
1 Cup Frozen Corn
1 Cup Uncooked Penne Pasta
To Taste
Fresh Pepper
Tabasco

Combine Olive Oil and all fresh chopped veggies and garlic first. Add broth. Let simmer for an hour. Add all additional ingredients and let cook for 2-3 hours. The longer it sets on a lower setting the better it will taste. I adjust the amount of ingredients as I let it cook. There are really no rules with this one. We eat it with Rosemary-Olive Oil Bread or a nice, crusty French bread. Spinkle cheese on your hot cup or bowl of stroup and enjoy!

bellkee 01-30-2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsweeney
Vegetable Stoup (Thicker than a soup, thinner than a stew)

1 Tb. Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Fresh Garlic (Chopped)
1 Cup Chopped Carrots
1 Cup Chopped Celery
1 Cup Chopped Potatoes
1 Chopped Onion
1 Large Can Tomato Juice
1 12 oz Can of Chicken (or Veggie) Broth
1 Cup Frozen Peas
1 Cup Frozen Green Beans
1 Cup Frozen Corn
1 Cup Uncooked Penne Pasta
To Taste
Fresh Pepper
Tabasco

Combine Olive Oil and all fresh chopped veggies and garlic first. Add broth. Let simmer for an hour. Add all additional ingredients and let cook for 2-3 hours. The longer it sets on a lower setting the better it will taste. I adjust the amount of ingredients as I let it cook. There are really no rules with this one. We eat it with Rosemary-Olive Oil Bread or a nice, crusty French bread. Spinkle cheese on your hot cup or bowl of stroup and enjoy!

That sounds very YUMMY! I can't wait to try this one.

psychkim 01-30-2007 11:06 AM

Hmmmm...I wonder if you could do post 15, Veg. Stoup in a crock pot??? If it is better the longer it cooks, I wonder if it would be good in the crockpot!

stampinsweeney 01-30-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychkim
Hmmmm...I wonder if you could do post 15, Veg. Stoup in a crock pot??? If it is better the longer it cooks, I wonder if it would be good in the crockpot!

It is the crockpot recipe.

psychkim 01-30-2007 12:06 PM

Thanks Stampinsweeney...when I saw the "simmer" I was confused. It always catches me off guard when I see you "stampinsweeney" as Sweeney is my maiden name :)

Hoth2os 02-05-2007 02:41 AM

bumping for some more recipes this week

lgulotta 02-05-2007 04:49 AM

crockpot meals

I haven't read every post in this thread, so pardon me if this is a duplicate recipe. One of my favorite crockpot recipes is for Split Pea Soup. Now I HATED pea soup when I was growing up, and never made it for years after getting married. But my husband kept requesting it after I'd cook ham, so finally I gave in and tried a combination of recipes in the Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook and it was WONDERFUL... No sludge! Though any leftovers do become sludgy upon sitting, so add some liquid when reheating :-)

Here's my combo recipe:

1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
1 ham hock
1 lb. dried split green peas, washed and stones removed (has anyone ever found a stone in a bag of peas?)
2 T. olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. dried thyme
2t. salt
4 cans chicken broth plus enough water to make 8 cups total

Cook on low 8-10 hours, or high 6 hours. Remove ham hock. Shred meat from bone and return to crockpot. Add any additional diced ham from leftovers you may have. Remove bay leaf before serving.

If anyone wants thick soup, you can uncover after the 8-10 hours and simmer on high til desired consistency is reached.

Yum, yum! Wish I had a ham hock today...

Kittypaws 02-05-2007 01:24 PM

Bump for more recipes

istamp31 02-06-2007 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Risa
Chicken and Rice
Four Chicken Breasts (frozen is fine)
season with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, cumin and chili powder to taste
16 oz jar of salsa
Cook it for 6 hours
Cube 4 oz of cream cheese and melt in at the last minute while shredding the chicken breasts.
Serve over white or brown rice cooked in chicken broth.

***Thanks for sharing Risa....we love this!! :)