Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   dinner challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/dinner-challenge-211107/)

Tah Dah! 01-05-2007 10:36 AM

There's a great crockpot recipe thread in the Foods Forum. I have several friends who swear by the "Fix it and Forget It" cookbooks, but I personally wasn't very impressed with them (after all, how many ways can you make tomato sauce over chicken?) I just purchased The Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Cookbook by Jyl Steinback and have been delighted with it. Good variety and very practical. I also like A Potful of Recipes by JoAnna M. Lund, but do find her stuff a bit bland so usually end up adding additional spices. Good bases, though! Both are also very healthy, which is nice coming off of the traditional overindulgence of the holidays.

imataloss 01-05-2007 10:36 AM

Ok since this tarragon chicken smell SO good..(can't wait till dinner!!) I feel compelled to share one of my crock pot favorites.

Chilli Verde
3 lb. pork shoulder roast
2 16 oz. jars of salsa verde (green salsa) hot or mild which ever you prefer
1 4oz. can green chillis
1-2 cloves os garlic crushed
1 small onion diced

Put it all in the crock pot on High for 6-7 hours (until pork shreds easily)
Remove bones and shred pork with two forks, serve on tortillas. We like it served on tortillas with raw onion and cilantro.

tamijo 01-05-2007 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Risa
Love the chicken recipe! Thanks! Here is the crock pot recipe I made yesterday:

Chicken and Rice
Four Chicken Breasts (frozen is fine)
season with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, cumin and chili powder to taste
16 oz jar of salsa
Cook it for 6 hours
Cube 4 oz of cream cheese and melt in at the last minute while shredding the chicken breasts.
Serve over white or brown rice cooked in chicken broth.
Happy Crock Pot Cooking!
Risa

Okay, I'm trying this today (but didn't put in cumin- put in a little of Pampered Chef's Southwestern Seasoning). If it tastes as good as it smells then we are in business! I'll come back and let you know what I thought!

Chris in Memphis 01-05-2007 11:39 AM

I put all the dry ingedients for this in a jar a few years ago and gave them out for christmas presents. It was wonderful and everyone love it! I put the seasonings in a baggie in the top so the beans could be soaked. I added leftover ham to mine and served it with cornbread. I forgot about it until now. Thanks for reminding me!

Chris in Memphis 01-05-2007 11:56 AM

New recipes... I love my crockpot!

Coke Ham

Get an uncooked ham that will fit in your crockpot. Wrap it in foil leaving no seems on the bottom and a hole at the top. Put it in your lined (or sprayed) crockpot. Pour a can of coke into the hole in the foil. Close the hole. Cook for 8-10 hours on lpw. This is wonderful!!!!!

No time To Cook Chicken

4 frozen chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 cans of cream of anything soup
1/2 cup sour cream
egg noodles

Line or spray the crockpot. Add the frozen chicken, slat and pepper, and soup. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. During the last half hur add the sour cream. Serve over the egg noodles. Yum!!!!!

Jessica'sMom 01-05-2007 01:15 PM

Oh my word! A can of coke??? I am soo trying that one!

tamijo 01-05-2007 01:49 PM

Chris- that chicken one sounds good! I'll have to try it without the egg noodles (I'm cutting back on carbs)

wiggynine 01-05-2007 02:12 PM

What a timely topic for me. I bought myself a slow cooker from Cooking.com. It won't be shipped until Jan. 10.

My sister has one and has been emailing all kinds of recipes and links to places with recipes. Here's one and here's the link where it came from:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/cro...s/r/bl82c1.htm

Chocolate Brownie Pudding Cake

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp cocoa
2 1/2 cups brownie mix (half of a 21.5oz pkg)
1 egg
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon soft butter or margarine
1/4 cup water
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, if desired

PREPARATION:
Combine 3/4 cup water, brown sugar, and cocoa in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. In the meantime combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk together or mix well with a spoon. Spread the batter evenly in the bottom of a lightly buttered slow cooker/Crock Pot.

Pour boiling mixture over the batter. Cover and cook on high about 2 hours; turn heat off and let stand for about 30 minutes. I made this in a 5-quart pot, but I'm sure it would be fine in a 3 1/2- quart. Spoon into dessert dishes while warm; serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Serves 6 to 8.

Thought I'd post a dessert to go along with the wonderful-sounding recipes. Can't wait to try these recipes.

Linda

tamijo 01-05-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamijo
Okay, I'm trying this today (but didn't put in cumin- put in a little of Pampered Chef's Southwestern Seasoning). If it tastes as good as it smells then we are in business! I'll come back and let you know what I thought!

Okay- this was awesome!!! Definitely a keeper and I'll definitely do it again. I had a friend over tonight and she said it was good too! Thanks for sharing!!!

imataloss 01-05-2007 02:48 PM

OK Chris, My DH came home tonight and said,"whatcha' cooking?? It smells REALLY GOOD!!" I have to tell ou dinner tonight was DELICIOUS!! tfs

valeriecathleen 01-06-2007 12:47 PM

This one starts out in the crockpot but then involves some steps to get it to the enchilada stage. You could do the crockpot thing today and put them together for tommorrow night's dinner:

Crockpot Chicken Enchiladas

4 boneless chicken breasts
1 10 oz can mild green chili enchilada sauce
1 10 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
medium diced onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 TBSP cornstarch
8 oz sour cream
1 small can drained diced green chilis
3 C Monterrey Jack cheese
8 soft taco size flour tortillas

Instructions

1) Note: Cayenne pepper amount is to be divided among 2 steps. All spice amounts may be adjusted to personal tastes.

2) Place chicken in crockpot. Mix soup, enchilada sauce, onions, garlic powder, half of the cayenne pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix the cornstarch with a little water to form a paste and add to mixture. Pour over chicken breasts and cook on high 4 to 6 hours. Stir with a spoon so chicken shreds apart.

3) To make enchiladas, spread about a tablesoon of sour cream in each tortilla, top generously with Monterrey Jack cheese, then spoon some of the chicken and sauce into each tortilla. Roll up and place enchiladas in a greased 13x9x2 pan. Spoon remaining sauce over the tortillas. Sprinkle green chilis, rest of cayenne pepper and cheese over top. Can add olives, if desired. Cover pan with foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes until bubbly. Remove foil and bake 5 to 10 more minutes until cheese is slightly browned.

Kittypaws 01-06-2007 03:50 PM

I'm going to bump this - there are some wonderful recipes here. Let's get some more.

Chris in Memphis 01-06-2007 07:45 PM

I am so glad you all are enjoying this thread. I really fell I have contributed something worthwhile now! Here are some more recipes worth trying. I hope you stocked up on those liners!

Mexican Chicken Chowder

4 chicken breast (sometimes I use the frozen but already cooked and chopped Tyson chicken in the red bag- about 2 1/2 cups worth)
1 can mexicorn, drained
1 can cream of celery soup (or cream of anything)
1/2 can rotel with juice (don't use the whole can if you have kids)
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
2 TBS dried cilantro (I love fresh if I have it)
2 cans chicken broth
sour cream
grated pepperjack or monterey jack cheese

Add all to crockpot except sour cream and cheese. Cook low 8-10 hours (less of you use Tyson's chicken or high 4-5 hours. The breasts will fall apart when cooked. Use the sour cream and cheese after scooped into bowls. I love it with tomatoes and fresh cilantro sprinkled on, too. Very hearty and kids love it, too!

Easy Chicken Gumbo

1 bag frozen peppers and onion (can use fresh but why bother?)
3 cans chicken broth
1 can whole tomatoes with liquid
1 small bay leaf
1 tsp salt, dash pepper
4 frozen chicken breasts
some dried or fresh parsley

Cook in crock pot low (6-8 hours) or high (4-6) hours. Thicken last half hour with cornstarch and water mixture. Serve over rice.

Not Crock Pot Ravioli Bake

So simple yet delicious and tastes like it cooked all day!

1 package frozen meat filled ravioli
1 jar of your favorite sause (I use 1/2 jar more and save the other 1/2 for
reheating)
2-3 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 jar water (I use less because I use more sauce)
parmessan cheese

Spray a 9x13 dish. Add a little sauce then layer half the bag of FROZEN ravioli over that. Cover with half the sauce, half the mozzarella, and some parmessan cheese. Repeat. Pour the water over the top. Bake for 1 hour at 350. It takes minutes to put together but tastes like you cooked all day. The kitchen will smell great, too.

This is a great dish to take someone who needs a meal if you do it in a foil pan. I have also split this into two smaller pans, cooked them, and tossed one into the freezer.

psychkim 01-06-2007 08:11 PM

Ok...on Friday I put frozen chicken tenders and a jar of Pace Picante Salsa in my crock pot and let it cook 9 hours on low. It was/is sooooo good. We have been eating it in tacos and it is very moist and was soooooo easy!

stampinsweeney 01-06-2007 08:19 PM

Great thread! I think I could do a crockpot recipe and stamp tomorrow. :)

sf9erfan 01-06-2007 08:29 PM

These recipies sound great. I Will try the chicken and stuffing recipe tomorrow. How do you subscribe to a thread? I read someone mentioning doing that?

sf9erfan 01-06-2007 08:31 PM

I figured it out! I subscribed. I will let you all know how the chicken and gravy with stuffing turns out!

bellkee 01-07-2007 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbcaser
So funny you ask that b/c I asked my sister last night what I could subsititute tarragon with - since I didn't have any) and she's the real cook in the family and she apparently doesn't use it all that much and she asked - what are you cooking and when I had to reply Tarragon Chicken - she was like, well, dont' you think you should get the real stuff when the recipe has it in the TITLE???

We had settled on an Herb Chicken Seasonong mix - BUT I did go out and buy the Tarragon this morning.

So I can't tell you yet what it tastes like - but it smells great and not too strong (which was a concern b/c something as strong as Rosemary turns me off).

I was thinking about the fresh herb too but for long term cooking I would believe the dried would pack more of a punch. The fresh herb may lose it's flavor due to the cooking time.

etsdas 01-07-2007 02:03 PM

Lots of good ideas here. DH is so fond of chicken and rice baked in the oven - that is pretty easy, too. Has anyhne tried adding rice to some of these chicken recipes - before cooking in the crockpot?

Chris in Memphis 01-08-2007 06:30 AM

Kittypaws... your Crock Pot chicken is heavenly!!!!!! I think it is my new favorite crock pot recipe. The wine makes it perfect. We were licking the pot!Thank you so much for posting it. I can't wait to try some more of the recipes posted here.

allamericanstampers 01-08-2007 06:44 AM

I'm getting my shopping list together right now!! I always want to used my crockpot more so this will be the perfect thread to watch...lots of tasty ideas! I appreciate the Crockpot book recommendations too...there are alot of "duds" out there. :wink:

imataloss 01-08-2007 05:34 PM

Made the Mac & Cheese tonight. Served it with roasted chicken, broccoli and salad. YUM!!! My husband said it was the best he ever had. I make Martha Stewarts receipe all the time from scratch in the oven....LOTS of work and many steps and pans!! Thank you for this simple and yet VERY DELICIOUS receipe!!!! It's a winner.

sharonw05 01-08-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica'sMom
The only way I could get away with stamping all day when cooking with a crockpot was if it was a magic crockpot that also chased my toddler around and breastfed my 3 month old ;)

My fav: Sweet and Sour Chicken/Pork

Throw frozen chicken breasts or pork chops in and dump one jar of salsa and one jar of polaner all fruit apricot on top. I serve the yummy sauce over brown rice. This is very Weight Watcher friendly since the salsa is "free". Keep these recipes coming...I love using my crockpot!

I made this today and it was yummy! Even my ultra picky kids ate it! I bought the igredients for the tarragon chicken, and will make it next! Keep these recipes coming! I was ready for something different!

Sharon:)

stamps&cars 01-08-2007 09:50 PM

Subscribing!

Love the crockpot ideas. Anything to make dinner easier is a win in my book. Cooking isn't much to my preference!

scrappintica 01-08-2007 10:43 PM

Wow to all of you that have put those recipes on here, they all look awesome and are making my mouth water, which is bad because I"m on my way to bed. I'll be back to post one of my favorites. Keep em coming!!!!

lgulotta 01-09-2007 05:00 AM

Great idea for a thread that helps us all out!! I never considered using FROZEN chicken in the crock--how much easier can one get? I am going to go upstairs and throw together the first recipe right now for tonight's dinner--was gone for the weekend and hadn't planned any meals for this week, so my whole family will appreciate SCS tonight :-). Thanks for the other recipes, too--they will all be tried! I love my crockpot :-)

cincimom 01-09-2007 07:37 AM

Bumping for more yummy recipes. I just finished putting the Tarragon Chicken in my crockpot for dinner tonight. Can't wait to try it after all the rave reviews.

Rosestamping 01-09-2007 07:54 AM

Just tried this last week and it was a hit!

BEEF BURGUNDY
4 pounds round steak, cubed
1 cup Burgundy wine
2 cans cream of celery soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope onion soup mix
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

Combine all ingredients and put in crock pot.
Cook on low 6-8 hours
Serve over cooked noodles or rice.

----------------------------------------------

Enjoy!
Doris

SheilaKyles 01-09-2007 08:11 AM

Just got a new crock pot for Christmas, LOVE LOVE IT!

Here is my favorite crockpot recipe. It's from the Atkins website. I don't use measurements when I cook (I'm a chef), so if you want exact measurements, I'd go to the website

Cranberry Pork

1 package of fresh or frozen cranberries
3 pounds of pork sirloin (I've also used loin)
1 cup of SF pancake syrup (I use regualr maple syrup)
1 chipotle diced (DO NOT USE THE WHOLE CAN!!! I actually just get my sirloin roasts from Costco - the packages of 3 - and one of them is chipolte marinated. Then I don't need to use the chipoltes)

Cook on high for 1 hour, low for 5-6 hours (I usually just do it overnight).

Remove brown YUCKY cranberries that are floating on the top and add 1 can of cranberry sauce. (this was my addition to the recipe, not on the website)

This pork is soooo yummy. It shreds with a fork so you can use it in sandwiches, over pasta etc!

Enjoy

Suzy_H 01-09-2007 09:22 AM

Rustic White bean and spinach soup. We had this for dinner last night. You could crock it or do it in 10 minutes on the stove:
The soup is just chopped onion, baby spinach, garlic, carrot, chicken broth, herbs/spices (cayenne, poultry seasoning, pepper, italian seasoning - whatever), a bit of lemon juice and navy beans. Topped with parmesan cheese. Looks so pretty too

stamp_cat 01-09-2007 10:10 AM

Suscribing.... I made the tarragon chicken last night and YUMMMMM! ate it over pasta shells so picky DD would eat it and she actually liked it. Never thought of putting frozen chicken in the crock pot- love it! :)

psychkim 01-09-2007 10:41 AM

Does anyone have a good beef stew recipe or chili recipe for the crockpot???

Marthar 01-09-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in Memphis
I challenge you to go put dinner in the crockpot so you are free to stamp all day. Easy recipe:

Tarragon Chicken

4 pieces frozen chicken breast
frozen chopped onion
minced garlic (jar type, of course)
1 can cream of whatever soup
1 can chicken broth
1 can mushrooms (opt)
salt
pepper
1 heaping tsp tarragon

Line crockpot with crock pot liner (a godsend for crockpot lovers found by the baggies in the grocery store) or spray inside of crockpot. Toss in frozen chicken, some frozen onion (I use half the bag), a bunch of garlic (husband is garlic maniac), salt and pepper as desired, taragon, and mushrooms (drained). Plop on the cream of whatever soup and follow that with the chicken broth. No need to stir.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 (I usually choose 7 or 5 hours). Serve over noodles or rice with a veggie and some bread.

If you have never used the liners they are wonderful. They actually stop the food from overbrowning along the sides, stay more moist, and cook more evenly. Clean up you ask? Lift out and toss! No more soaking and scrubbing the pot.

This is in my crockpot right now!!!!!!!!!

Jessica'sMom 01-09-2007 11:32 AM

I love the Beef Stew recipe that my crock came with. I have a sobbing two year old right now....but i'll get back here later and add it.

smartcookie44 01-09-2007 11:35 AM

I am SO HAPPY I found this! Now my husband can say I got something "useful" off SCS! :) One of my resolutions (actually made in Dec.) is to do better at making good dinners, so this is a big help! My recipe is very simple, but YUMMY! I cooked it all night and that was the best success I've had with it.

SOUTHWEST CHICKEN
1 lb Chicken breasts
1 1/2 C chicken broth
1 Packet taco seasoning

Dump it all in the crock pot and let it cook. Recipe says 6-8 hours on high or 3-4 on low but I always have to go longer. When it's done, fish out the chicken, shred with forks, and then dump the juice into the chicken until it's moist enough. We used it on tortillas as wraps.

Laurie FW 01-09-2007 11:54 AM

Great thead! Marthar and I are having the same dinner tonight!

Barbecue Coca-Cola Chicken

1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-4 lbs.) cut-up
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 (18oz.) bottle barbecue sauce
3/4 cup regular Coca-cola

Place chicken in a slow cooker. Top with onion and lemon slices. Combine barbecue sauce and cola, pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until chicken juices run clear.

Kittypaws 01-09-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in Memphis
Kittypaws... your Crock Pot chicken is heavenly!!!!!! I think it is my new favorite crock pot recipe. The wine makes it perfect. We were licking the pot!Thank you so much for posting it. I can't wait to try some more of the recipes posted here.

I'm so glad you liked the recipe, Chris. This has been a favorite in the family for a long time. For a variation, my daughter puts sliced onions, carrots, and potatoes, which she serves instead of noodles.

I'm going to try the Tarragon Chicken this weekend. It sounds wonderful!

Jessica'sMom 01-09-2007 01:41 PM

Crockpot Beef Stew:
2 lbs beef stew meat
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 clove of garlic
1 bayleaf
1 teaspoon of paprika
4 carrots sliced
3 potatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery...I add more

Place meat in crockpot. Mix flour, salt and pepper together and pour over meat. Stir. Add rest of ingredients and stir. Cook on low 10 hours or high for 4-5hours. Stir before serving.

smartcookie44 01-09-2007 01:58 PM

Just curious if anyone has a good substitute for white wine- we don't have any!

Jessica'sMom 01-09-2007 01:59 PM

i would use chicken broth