Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about binding machines

Hello everyone! I have read all your posts about the Rubi Coil machines & I must admit I want one! But I'm not sure it is wise for me to spend the $150 right now. I do know how I can get a comb binder for about $50. So here are my questions.

Does anyone have a comb binder? What would you say are the advantages & disadvantages? If you had it to do it again would you have bought it or a Rubi?

Can you cut the combs down to bind smaller things?

What types of things do you use it for? Any pictures?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 08:39 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't personally have a comb binder, but I had access to one on my previous job. Yes, you can cut the combs down.

I have thought about getting a comb binder for my personal use. I would like to create cookbooks for my family and then I saw the marvelous card organizers.

Now I have been exposed to the Rubi coil and I am undecided about which one to get. I guess I will have to research the difference in cost between coils and combs,also the colors choices and most definitly the cost of the machines versus how often I will actually use them.

I know, this probably doesn't help you out much except that I have bumped this back up.

Sue

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you! I appreciate you letting me know you can cut the combs down. That was one of my concerns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 09:03 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

There's a machine in the Viking catalog that I'm considering. It's called ProClick P50. It is $60, plus $12 for the spiral thingies. You can get spirals that hold up to 45 pages and ones that hold up to 100 pages. I haven't ordered it yet, but I am still considering it. And with the $20 off, that's a pretty good deal.

HTH,

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a comb binder. I found it at an office sell for 20.00 so it was worth the money for me. I use it all the time. I have made a diary, journals, cookbooks and most recently I made Care Bear coloring books for the favors at my dd's birthday party. I printed some coloring pages off the web and bound them. It was simple and fun. The kids loved them. I have also applied glitter to the combs and have been wanting to try embossing on one to see how that would work. Staz On Ink as well. Just my opinion: I love mine. And the combs are about 20.00 for 150 and they do come in black and white. I am looking for colors now.

Noah Wyle is my avatar!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 459 Likes on 348 Posts

I've used my comb binder to make greeting card journals for my card club members, birthday calendars, cookbooks, kids' autograph books, address books, note pads, score books, etc. all with stamped and embellished covers. Since I purchased over 5,000 combs at a school auction for about $30, I've been using them for everything I can think of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 10:04 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I had the comb binding system made by Carl called Tozicle. I bought it for making those birthday calendar booklets. Well...it doesn't punch holes through the thickness I had, it didn't let me thread big binding combs....I sold it on ebay.

If you want to make things that need a bigger binding comb, you will spend a lot of money as well.

Save up for the Rubi! It's the best thing I have seen.
Just my $0.02. Hugs and smiles.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 10:16 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I have the same Carl Tozicle comb binder that Beate is talking about and recently purchased the Rubi-coil. I hated the comb binder. I often pinched my fingers in the comb binder somehow. I hated the thing all around. Like Beate, it's going up for sale on the bay. You can cut the combs down. The rubi is worth saving and waiting for in mvho.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I also have a Carl Tozicle comb binder, bought exactly for the reasons you stated: I couldn't justify $150. I paid about $25 for my Carl, and it is well worth that. (Try www.everafterarts.com. He sells combs as well.)Yes, you can cut the combs just fine. They still look like combs, though, and the holes are quite large. Next I bought a *nice* Rollabind, again, because I didn't want to spent the money for a Rubicoil, but I wanted something that looked a bit less utilitarian than my comb binder. It cost a good bit more than my Carl, and I have used it twice. . . So, guess who ordered a Rubi last week? Yep. :rolleyes:

I have listed my nice Rollabind punch on e-Bay to try to help defray the expense of the Rubi. . .

Bottom line: If you are content with the look of comb-bound, get a Carl Tozicle. If you really like spiral binding, do yourself a favor and save up instead of spending as much as you would for a Rubi in the process! JMO, of course.
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Can you tell me where I can get online information on the Rubi-coil?
Thanks!
~Michelle Z.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Z.
Can you tell me where I can get online information on the Rubi-coil?
Thanks!
~Michelle Z.
Sure.....http://www.laminatorwarehouse.com/rubicoil
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 05:47 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by willwork4stamps
There's a machine in the Viking catalog that I'm considering. It's called ProClick P50. It is $60, plus $12 for the spiral thingies. You can get spirals that hold up to 45 pages and ones that hold up to 100 pages. I haven't ordered it yet, but I am still considering it. And with the $20 off, that's a pretty good deal.

HTH,

Karen
Hi Karen,
I think I have this model. I like it for whole pages (inspiration sheets, calendars, SU! product tables, etc), but smaller than 8 1/2 inches may be tricky to center properly (there are 32 rings per spine & no "centering guide"). I love the fact that you can open & close the rings easily. I did order the rubi for making smaller notebooks.
Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 06:06 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a binding system that I love. It is plastikoil. I got it from www.stampsalad.com. It is expensive, but so worth it. It uses spirals to bind. The come in tons of colors too. I have used it for many things. It is probably about the cost of the rubi-coil (which I don't know anything about). So if you are trying to decide on a binding system check out this before you make a decision. I have even spiral bound my SU catalogs with it (after I get the binding chopped off at Kinkos).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 06:49 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiedesigns
I also have a Carl Tozicle comb binder, bought exactly for the reasons you stated: I couldn't justify $150. I paid about $25 for my Carl, and it is well worth that. (Try www.everafterarts.com. He sells combs as well.)Yes, you can cut the combs just fine. They still look like combs, though, and the holes are quite large. Next I bought a *nice* Rollabind, again, because I didn't want to spent the money for a Rubicoil, but I wanted something that looked a bit less utilitarian than my comb binder. It cost a good bit more than my Carl, and I have used it twice. . . So, guess who ordered a Rubi last week? Yep. :rolleyes:

I have listed my nice Rollabind punch on e-Bay to try to help defray the expense of the Rubi. . .

Bottom line: If you are content with the look of comb-bound, get a Carl Tozicle. If you really like spiral binding, do yourself a favor and save up instead of spending as much as you would for a Rubi in the process! JMO, of course.
You are SO right about that, Debbie! I wish I'd know of the existence of the Rubi prior to purchasing my Rollabind . . . :( But, I've used it only a few times, and worry that even if were "assimilated to the Rubi-Borg", that I wouldn't use it enough STILL to make it worth the expenditure . . .

(heavy sigh that there really is no money tree for me to pluck cash from . . . )

P.S. altho I do not own a comb binding system, I do have cookbooks bound that way, and frankly, I don't like it? Just doesn't feel "sturdy". OK, yeah, I hate to cook, even tho I must daily, and am loathe to drag out a cookbook anyway, but I can never resist buying those wonderful Gooseberry Patch books--they are just so fun with the whimsical drawings, and little anecdotes, etc. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 07:10 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsa1993
I have a binding system that I love. It is plastikoil. I got it from www.stampsalad.com. It is expensive, but so worth it. It uses spirals to bind. The come in tons of colors too. I have used it for many things. It is probably about the cost of the rubi-coil (which I don't know anything about). So if you are trying to decide on a binding system check out this before you make a decision. I have even spiral bound my SU catalogs with it (after I get the binding chopped off at Kinkos).
I went to the link that you provided, and I have an idea that your Plasticoil *is* a Rubicoil. . . When I clicked on "Spiral Binding Options," it redirected me to Bonnie's Best--sister website--and explained the Rubicoil. Either it's the same, or she has since replaced selling the Plasticoil with the Rubi. . . So, congrats! You were assimilated by Julie's RubiBorg looonnnnggg ago!

"My name is Locutious of Rubi-Borg." :cool:
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes