Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating Keepsakes Convention

Creating Keepsakes Scrapbooking Convention is coming to Charlotte NC in August. Registration starts soon. My question is - have any of you attended this before? Are the classes/workshops worth the cost? Is there stuff to do if you do not attend the classes/workshops? Any thoughts you may have on this please let me know. Thanks.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #2  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go to the Valley Forge convention each year. it is well worth the money. I only had one class where it was taught by a local demonstrator for i don't know what company (not a well known one) and I do better demos than her. I try to stick with the company representatives since then. You will have a great time. I always sign up for my limit then get there and regret not doing more classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #3  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

I also attend the Valley Forge CK convention every year. I really enjoy it! The class descriptions are usually pretty accurate; watch the level, beginner often really means beginner. I take about 5 classes and then shop, shop, shop! I've already registered for this year and can't wait. If they are offering a convention rate at any local hotel, it is usually a decent deal; the rooms go fast. Hope that helps.
Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I have gone to the Buffalo one the past couple years and I am going again at the end of May!! The classes are a lot of fun and there has been some great shopping too! This is the first year I am doing the crop!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

My girlfriend and I went to the Charlotte one last year and had a great time. I personally wish there had been more stamping vendors, but there was still enough to keep both of us busy all day Friday and Saturday. We stayed at the host hotel which was absolutely awesome. We unfortunately did not take any classes last year...but plan to this year we hope to take at least one. Take lots of money... but look before you buy. The Bazzill booth stayed busy all day, as well as the SEI booth. There was a vendor selling Sizzix and Nestabilities too! Lots of make and takes...some free...some for a small fee. Lots of technique watching at vendor booths. Food is pricey. Go for it and have fun. We comfortable shoes and 3/4 sleeves to not have to wear a jacket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default Mesa AZ CKC

I went to Mesa CKC two years ago and it was great! My friend and I signed up for completely different classes so we could get twice the knowledge! At the end of the day we'd meet up and go over what each of us learned -- we had such a wonderful -- we would go back to our hotel room every night completely exhausted. The best part, I thought, was that when you go to the company sponsored demos (Heidi Swapp, SEI), they give out such great packages for the demo -- way more than was needed to make the small project they were demo'ing. The vendor forum was great too -- leave lots of room to bring things back or find the nearest UPS store to ship your goodies back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I recently attended the CKC-St. Louis and had a great time. I took the Card Free for All (Spellbinders class- before design team) and the Basic Grey scrapbooking class. I learned alot and enjoyed working with all the great new stuff! I went shopping, too! Talked to a bunch of women who like to do the same thing I do! It was fun! Try it, you will like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I went to both Tulsa and Kansas City last year. I LOVE taking the classes (I usually take 4-5 per day). Most are pretty fast paced and I was completely exhausted by the end of the day...but it was so much fun!

I love the Quick Quotes classes. This year, if you sign up for 5 QQ classes they will give you a $25 prize from their booth. I would say that I REALLY liked most of the bigger company�s classes (SEI, Basic Grey, Quick Quotes, Piggy Tails, Scenic Route). I was disappointed with a few of the local or companies I haven't heard of. The instructors weren't that prepared and the projects weren't that great either. Definitely read the descriptions and take a look at the project if they have pictures posted. If they have a website, take a look and see if you like their "style".

If you plan on taking classes, sign up early! The good classes always fill up quickly. I think the Latest & Greatest with Basic Grey always sells out, the CK classes are alot cheaper and usually good, sign up for the door prizes in the vendor faire, and have fun shopping!

I'm going to try a crop this year. Has anyone done the crop? Did you enjoy it? Were there lots of give aways?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

My friends and I always go to the CK convention in New Hampshire. In fact we're leaving tomorrow!! Can't wait.... it's a blast. The first year we did a couple classes but we thought they were kind of basic and a little over priced. Every year since we do a late night crop...usually 6 - midnight. It's a ton of fun. Plenty of room to spread out and lots of great give aways. There's usually 6-8 of us in our group and someone always wins something.

The vendor fair is fantastic! We pretty much do all our scrapbook spending in one weekend. So much to choose from and so many great vendors. It's a great girls weekend every year. We look forward to it months in advance! Can't believe its finally here!!!!

Krista
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I go to the Charlotte CKC every year. Each year it has had fewer vendors but last year was still good. HUGE Spellbinders booth, Embellish It booth with tons of Basic Grey, etc. I'm more of a scrapbooker than a stamper so I really can't tell you how much of a focus there is on stamps (I'd say not too much but there is a great little company there with ep to die for).

I haven't taken classes in 2 years and won't take any this year. I just found them to be crowded, rushed, and didn't really teach me anything new. The food inside is pretty bad and over-priced. I recommend Uno's across the street for lunch. There's not many other options.

While I've stayed at the Hilton convention center right there for the past couple years, last year I found it to be looking a little shabby and in need of another makeover. Parking is $20 a day, no free internet, and noisy. This year I've booked at a nicer hotel a little outside of downtown where the better restaurants are and close to the golf course dh is playing but this works for me as I only shop for a few hours on Friday and I'm outta there.

It may not exactly sound like I'm looking forward to going, but I really am and definitely recommend it! I've just learned what to avoid and how to have a better experience there. Hope this helps some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I'm just checking hotels as we speak for Valley Forge. I went last year and loved it. I would agree with the company rep classes. I did a CTMH class last year and it wasn't that great, but the Bazzil and Basic Grey were awesome. Well worth the time just to shop and do the make and takes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm hoping to go to Tulsa this year...it will be my first one!...so any other advice on classes will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I just got a flyer for the Valley Forge convention in the mail, and I can't tell you how tempting it is! We never have conventions around here. My family will be within two hours at a camp meeting that week, but I doubt I'll get to swing by. Bummer!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I just went to the one in Pasadena, Ca on Saturday. Why it's any different because Creating Keepsakes is running the show I don't know. I have been to three other scrapbook conventions in the area run by another company and I think they had many more vendors and it just had more of a fun vibe. This one had maybe three vendors do make and takes. The other ones I have attended had tons more and the vendors were more engaged with the customers. I have not taken classes at any of them. I'm hoping the October show in Ontario, Ca is better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia_77View Post
I just got a flyer for the Valley Forge convention in the mail, and I can't tell you how tempting it is! We never have conventions around here. My family will be within two hours at a camp meeting that week, but I doubt I'll get to swing by. Bummer!!
I just got it too and was tempted, but I'm going to the Great American Scrapbook convention in Northern VA next weekend and am guessing I'll be broke come July. http://www.greatamericanscrapbook.com/

LOL! Have fun in Philly ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 04:56 AM   #16  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashjoyView Post
I'm just checking hotels as we speak for Valley Forge. I went last year and loved it. I would agree with the company rep classes. I did a CTMH class last year and it wasn't that great, but the Bazzil and Basic Grey were awesome. Well worth the time just to shop and do the make and takes.
Ashjoy, I live within minutes of the center. What hotels are you deciding between? Are the attached hotels booked?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

CK is coming to Nashvile in Sept.

Classes I have attended you received lots of product.

I am going to the Rusty Pickle class

Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm ecstatic that the convention is coming back to nashville! my friend and i have already booked our room! i don't know why they haven't had it the past couple of years, but i'm thrilled to be going back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Can anyone tell me how crammed the vendor faire is at the CK Conventions? Is there room to a get wheelchair through, and could a wheelchair get into the booths?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I just went to the CKC in Pasadena. I took 3 classes, acryllic cookbook, latest and greatest and the paper crafts card swap. I think they were awful expensive classes for what you got, especially the cookbook class. I wouldn't reccomend that one. The paper was cheap as well as the products. I brought it home and changed everything. The latest and greatest and paper swap were fun. The shopping was good, not great. I expected better discounts. I had high expectations as it was from creating keepsakes. All in all it was a fun (expensive) day out with a friend. The best point was that it was close to home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I'm staying at the CourtyardMarriot I believe, I stayed at the Holiday Inn last year and it wasn't that nice. So this year upgrading a bit, I hope anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
Ashjoy, I live within minutes of the center. What hotels are you deciding between? Are the attached hotels booked?
Reply With Quote Likes