Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2005, 05:12 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crayons crayons crayons....

Of course I am finally being worn down by this site about the crayons. When I first say them I thought "heck no! that's too much $$". Now I am rethinking it. I color almost every day with my aquapainter and reinkers. It is appealing to me to not have to get out each pad to color with it. Is anyone not happy with the crayons, or feel like the aquapainters and reinkers works just as welll???

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 05:17 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Emily I don't have the SU crayons, yet...they will be here in a few weeks! But I have used watercolor crayons...the depth of color you can get with the pigment levels of a crayon is OUTRAGEOUS! I HIGHLY prefer crayons to pads, reinkers, markers, markers on CDs....they are worth the $$...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 05:33 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Oh, Honey!

Not having to open up pads to color is my number 1 reason to love the crayons! I don't own every color pad but now I own every color! When I paint with the crayons I hold two or three colors in my left hand and pull colors quickly. I actually feel like an artist! And yes, the depth of color is fabulous!

Go for it! You will be thrilled!

My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 05:43 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been thinking about the crayons a lot too. I am like you, Emily & use my aquapainter a lot. It's just such a big outlay of cash, although maybe it would make a nice Christmas gift. I'd love to see SU give us the option next year of buying them in color families. I love that we can buy the markers one at a time & this is exactly what I do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 07:17 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Can you use the blender pens with the crayons to ink up a stamp???? Or, do you need to use the aquapainter??? Am on the wall about ordering the crayons, also. The more info I can gather, the better. Thanks, guys, you're really helping!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 07:42 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

My birthday is coming up, and so is Christmas, so I know what the first thing on MY list is!! I used them at our demo meeting a couple of weeks ago, and I can't wait to get them. Of course, since I'm a big scrapbooker, I'll still lug around EVERYTHING when I go to a crop (because that's just what I do!) but when I'm at home making cards I LOVE to color, and I want to color with THESE!! SO much fun, and yes, they make me feel artistic, although I'm not. BEAUTIFUL!!
Have fun with YOUR new crayons that I know you'll get!!

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 08:46 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I really do love my wcc. They are just so much easier to color in- whether it is an intense color or a watercolor effect, it does the job! You ladies REALLY do NEED them. REALLY!!!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/wynona
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 08:50 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Emily,
I Bit the Bullet and bought the crayons. I have all the prisma pencils, I have the SU water color pencils, the markers, and all the ink pads to WC with but I by far prefer the new crayons! They are so smooth and rich and easy to use and yes it is wonderful to not have to get out all the ink pads. Thats my two cents worth. Buy them, demo them and I'll bet alot of people will buy them for Christmas! I would even like to demo them to people who do WC as art because they are the best WC I have used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Just saw/used them for the FIRST time on Tues. nite!!! They are sooo cool!!! I don't think I've ever been able to achieve the look I got from the crayons doing anything else! It's just the coolest look - you gotta try 'em!!!

Emily, I am sooo like you! When I first heard about them and found out the price, I said no way Jose!!! These are just CRAYONS!!! But the more I've seen/heard/read about them, and now having tried them, I'm going to take the plunge. Maybe I can have a nice phat partay next month and use my Instant Earnings!

Or, Christmas is just around the corner.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 08:55 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I would say if you are coloring with your reinkers almost every day, then in the long run the crayons are going to be cheaper. At 2.50 a bottle, those reinkers could get used up pretty fast if you color with them a lot. On the other hand, what do the crayons cost each? And being a solid material, you are going to use less of it. When you use the reinker, you have to drop a drop out onto your pad pallet, even if you only need a tiny dab. But with the crayons, you just swipe that auqapainter across the tip and you are off and going, only using up what you need-- what is on the tip of your brush.

Just a different way to look at it. Good Luck. I'm not buying as I think I'm going to get regular watercolor cakes instead (did you see what Dartella is doing with regular watercolors?), but then color matching is less important to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJBooth
Can you use the blender pens with the crayons to ink up a stamp???? Or, do you need to use the aquapainter??? Am on the wall about ordering the crayons, also. The more info I can gather, the better. Thanks, guys, you're really helping!!!!
Is there anyone here who could answer this question? I would like to know the same thing. I'm probably going to order the crayons during Sell-a-Bration but I really would like to know if my blender pens would work with them.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I will try it today and let you know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!
Smile

Yes, it just takes a bit longer. Or you can use a paint brush. I've used all of them. I just love my WC crayons!

48 ct. LYRA WC crayons $35.00 1/2 price hostess gift, with a $100.00 miniumn show.

I love to watercolor with the crayons and pencils look in my gallery and I have loads of WC samples.

Kim

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 10:19 AM   #14  
The Digi-Freak

You crazy girl!!!!!!!!

I can't wait till I'm working so I can afford them! And, of course, have fun time to play with them!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 10:35 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

You gals are wearing me down!

Like Emily, my first thought was no @###* way!! Too much$$$!!

Now....I'm starting to drool. Christmas and birthday coming up...I guess they go on the list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Wink Crayons

Emily,

Since you love to watercolor, and you are doing it with reinkers you are going to love, love, love the crayons. I just got mine. The house is a mess and we had to eat at McDonalds last night but hey! I was playing with crayons! They are so smooth and pretty, you'll love them! JMHO Arlynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaDRHC

I don't own every color pad but now I own every color!
I never thought about it like that...I could own all 48 SU! colors for a mere 60 bucks! That justifies it, gotta get em!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 11:17 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I am saving up for these! I want them sooooo bad!!! The cards I have seen in the gallery using the WC crayons looks amazing. I love the boldness of the colors!!! I want them now!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimeboss
48 ct. LYRA WC crayons $35.00 1/2 price hostess gift, with a $100.00 miniumn show.

Huh? I can get these 50% how? I didn't see that promotion did I miss something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 11:56 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Aubrey~
The ones she is talking about are LYRA which are available through the TAC catalog. They are not the SU colors, but they work just the same. Michaels also carry a couple brands too. They all work the same way, but not the SU colors.
Happy Stampin'
Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 11:59 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelwings
Aubrey~
The ones she is talking about are LYRA which are available through the TAC catalog. They are not the SU colors, but they work just the same. Michaels also carry a couple brands too. They all work the same way, but not the SU colors.
Happy Stampin'
Carol
Okie dookie- for a sec there I almost died of excitment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 12:44 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I was afraid to admit here that I use a blender pen with the crayons. I didn't know if it was the right thing to do.

But, I love the how it looks. Plus, I don't have an aquapainter. I use the same blender pen each time. Sometimes I stamp the image in the stamp on the color I want using a stamp pad, and then I touch the blender pen into water, dab it with a paper towel and pull color off the crayons. And color away. I dab the blender pen in a little water between each color. And dry off. I also use the crayons directly on the stamped imaged for a more dramatic look.

I am a novice, but, I absolutely love doing it this way. I have also just colored the crayons directly on the stamp, spritz it with water and stamp it. I can then use the blender pen to color it in.

Thanks for asking. I was hoping I wasn't the only one who used a blender pen. I clean it by dabbing it into water and dab on paper towels until there is no color left on the pen. So far, I don't see any problems with my pen.

Have fun.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 01:43 PM   #23  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just playing with mine. I wheeled the Bold Butterfly jumbo wheel in black and then used the crayons and picked up color with the aquapainter-so easy I had my DH try. He is remarkable UNcrafty and he was soooooooo impressed. He kept asking me about them and how to use them. He even said, "Iguess you won't need to pick up the markers anytime soon." LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 02:21 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Emily,
I to was in the same postion that you are in? But after looking at all the wonderful projects that have been shared here on SCS. I'm ordering in September I'm going to wait till then that way I can get my goodies from the winter mini...I also can't wait to use the perfect layers tool!
But me and rulers just don't get along so hopefully this will help me...

There I going totally off on another subject! But yes buy them I know that when you do buy them and try them you will be posting here that you can watercolor with crayons...So cool!

My 2 cents!

HUGS and GOOD LUCK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I haven't read this thread too carefully, nor do I have my own crayons yet, but I have used them. You can color directly on the stamp with your crayons, mist and stamp. Or you can stamp your image in waterproof ink and use the crayons directly on the image with your aquapainter, blender pen or a brush. They really are wonderful!

Gotta have 'em!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I read through this thread and another like it. And I keep hearing that SU made the colors special to go with their papers, etc. But supposedly the watercolor pencils and the eyelets, etc are too but I can find the same colors at the local craft store for cheaper. So what is up with that??

Does anyone know the CHEAPEST way to get watercolor crayons? I looked at Michael's yesterday and they didn't have any. I was surprised. I would like to try them out, but I can't afford $60 and unless someone trades me for them, doesn't look like I will be getting the SU set any time soon.
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 04:03 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I got a set of 24 watercolor crayons for $27.49 at Hobby Lobby. They are in a tin and made by Staedtler~ (www.staedtler-usa.com) On the tin it also says Karat Aquarell. Great assortment of colors but not sure about matching SU colors yet. Haven't had time to play, but it does have Black, Grey, & White in them.
They also had a tin of 12 for around $18 so I thought these were a better deal. Want to try out the technique before I spend $60.
Happy Stampin'
Carol

PS: They also have a Canadian website for our Northern neighbors ~ www.staedtler.ca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 04:18 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelwings
I got a set of 24 watercolor crayons for $27.49 at Hobby Lobby. They are in a tin and made by Staedtler~ (www.staedtler-usa.com) On the tin it also says Karat Aquarell. Great assortment of colors but not sure about matching SU colors yet. Haven't had time to play, but it does have Black, Grey, & White in them.
They also had a tin of 12 for around $18 so I thought these were a better deal. Want to try out the technique before I spend $60.
Happy Stampin'
Carol

PS: They also have a Canadian website for our Northern neighbors ~ www.staedtler.ca
I had bought the 12 piece Staedtler watercolor crayon set using my 40% off coupon in order to try them. StampinUp's are soooooo much nicer, creamier, etc and they have points on them unlike my Staedtler ones. I wonder why StampinUp doesn't have white, gray and black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 04:32 PM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Default GREAT DEMONSTRATOR

My demonstrator offers specials every so often. She is offering the new watercolor crayons for $60 which includes shipping and tax @ $15 each month for 4 months. You get one color group each month and the the end of the 4 months you will have all the colors plus the tin. $15 each month seems so much better than $60 at one time. She also offers specials similar where she divides spools or ribbon, brads, eyelets ect. so that you get some of each color without buying a complete set of each one. It works great. Maybe an idea for others to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 04:36 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I gave my DH a wishlist of SU stuff for my birthday. - along with the name of my demo. It's the first time I've EVER asked him to buy me any kind of crafting stuff. Normally I'm a jewelry or highend small appliance/ housewares kind of gal. But given that everything in my house is breaking right now, that's out of any budget. But back to the point... I pointed out the crayons on the list and in the catalog. I HOPE I get them for my b-day next month. If not I may have to treat myself! I adore coloring and think these would be fantastic.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 05:53 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

I hosted a ws last Saturday JUST so I could get the wc crayons. My demo knew so she did several projects with them. OMG - they're awesome! I think they'll last forever! The colors are rich and creamy, and there's almost an unlimited amount of shading you can get. She demo'd them several ways. She colored directly on the stamp, spritzed then stamped, spritzed the stamp then colored then stamped, colored an image then used blender pens, picked up color with the aquapainter then colored. Different results every time. I CAN'T WAIT to get mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 06:41 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Unfortuantely, I can't host an SU party. I couldn't get sales as a demo let alone as a hostess. Anyone else have other ideas OTHER THAN SU on where I can get Watercolor Crayons??

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 07:29 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default watercolor crayons

I bought a set of 48 Lyra watercolor crayons about 2 years ago - I was waiting for SU to come out with these and finally gave up! I bought them at Michael's with my 40% coupon. Michael's does not carry them all the time - you just have to keep looking each week. I don't remember how much they were at the time, but I do believe it was cheaper than SU once you use the 40% coupon. Also, the set of 48 comes with white, black and many colors - so you can probably work and match SU's colors. I love these - they have a point, or you can get the color off the flat bottom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 08:22 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!
Arrow

Me-me-me! just pm me...
Kim
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boulderstamper
Unfortuantely, I can't host an SU party. I couldn't get sales as a demo let alone as a hostess. Anyone else have other ideas OTHER THAN SU on where I can get Watercolor Crayons??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 10:13 AM   #35  
GMC
Kookie Creator

Oh my gosh, you need the watercolor crayons. I have responded to so many threads about these crayons saying just the same things. I have the 48 Lyra's but my next SU order will have the SU crayons on them. I have compared them color-wise side by side and although I may end up with a few similar colors, I need the SU ones to completely complement SU's paper! I will have almost 100 crayons to use then and the color possibilities are endless.

You will love their versatility and using them to just color with is awesome! And the direct to rubber techniques are beautiful--once you play around and get the hang of it! I think they are easier to lug around and with all 48 of the colors at your fingertips, you will have them accessible at all times! I really think once people start seeing what you can do with them, demo's will be selling a ton. And in terms of ordering them...splitting them into $15 groups for 4 months makes it so much easier for someone to get them!

I say go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Office Max carries Faber-Castell watercolor crayons box of 12. I got them off the clearance rack for under $5. I would recommend them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 11:31 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

I just ordered mine! Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

DOH! I was at Office Max today and didn't see them. Oh well. I did end up getting some at Hobby Lobby. I thought it was a steal....a box of 12 for $3.47 WOW...of course they aren't the LYRA brand which is what SU and everyone else seems to be selling. The Lyra was over $12 for the same size box, but the colors were pretty comparable. So I went cheap. I almost fell over though because the LYRA ones were only $45 at Hobby Lobby which is much cheaper than SU. :/ Oh well. Thanks for all the info. and for trying to help me at least get some crayons in my hands at a great price.

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 04:42 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

I just signed up with SU and have been debating all week on whether to get the crayons on my first order. After all the great comments, looks like I'm hooked too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I look at the fact that the colors are MATCHED TO SU COLORS as WORTH the money right there...not to mention that since I had a chance to use the Lyra and they DO NOT MATCH....My work did not look as nice because I find that when everything is matched and calibrated, your entire work looks professional and uptown....I can't wait till my SU ones arrive..oh when will Mr Brown come????????
Reply With Quote Likes