Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In colors or not to In color - That is the question...

I am on a tight budget. I've decided that I'm not buying any more stamps, unless they are digi's, because of space and also to use the stamp sets I have. Which is about 500 SU, CTMH and other stamp companies. Not including digi's!

But... I have the last two sets of SU In Colors. I'm wondering if I should invest in getting the newest In colors or not. I do have DSP that go with the new colors, and will only get the markers, paper and re-inkers, not the pads. I can color the stamps with the markers if need be.

So... what do you think? Should I spend that money to invest in the colors, or just save it for future stuff?

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

I do not view the majority of crafty items as an investment, particularly inks, papers, & other consumables. Thus, I buy the inks, papers, etc. that I like. If I like it, I will use it. If it's purchased only because it is "there" or it's "on sale", that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy getting some actual "use" from it.
Maybe identifying your personal viewpoint such as this will help. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Well, my first question is, do you like the colors?

Then with the purchase of the in colors will you use them up within a five year span??

Just asking cause I still have in colors from the very first year they came out, when "everyone" went crazy and bought a TON before they retired just to have the paper. Because you never new if you could ever "find" that paper color ever ever ever ever again.

But in reality, all you have to do is go into a local scrap store, Mikes, Archivers , HL and you can find a pretty good match or you can use Ginak or PaperTrey White and swipe colored ink on the paper and there you go. Money saved and space saved.

Just saying. Just my 2 cent as this topic comes up all the time and I just have to tell people I Still Have In Colors From The FIRST YEAR would you like some...Please take some
Please
PLease
PLEase
PLEAse
PLEASe
PLEASE!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I decided not to buy the new in colors this time. I have all of the basic colors in the old ink pad style. Many of those are so similar to the new in colors that I can't tell enough of a difference to justify the expense. I am also not getting them because part of me is afraid that I'll like the new style so much that I'll want to replace all my pads. My now "old" styled pads took several years and quite a bit of expense to build up, so I don't want to be tempted to do that again. I also tend to buy patterned paper from other sources than SU and I can usually find a match or a blend with what I already have. Hope this helps you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

You ladies are right. I would be buying them just to match the DSP that I have, and I'm sure there are other colors that the DSP could go with. And I would be saving a lot of money too. I think it's more of a "oh my gosh, they are going away soon" purchase that I would be getting, even though I love Wisteria Wonder. It's a beautiful shade, I wish they would bring back a lot of the other colors they retired. UGH!

I'm trying to get out of my old habits and this is a tough one. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Maybe I'm losing my inspiration to do a lot of stamping lately. Like has been said above, the colors are becoming so similar that I can't tell a big difference. I'm not sure I'll be getting the "in colors" as they come out unless they are very different from what we have now.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I only buy them if I like them, which I love the current in colors. I did learn the hard way, that even though I really didnt care for all of the colors the firet couple batches, i stocked up...big mistake. I have learned since that other than one refill for the ink pad and maybe one or two packs if I really really like the color, that is all I need. If I have almost a full pack of cardstock I don't order more. I found that when the incolors first started I thought I would need three or four packs of the cardstock. Didn't figure on that I was basing it on what I use for classes, not for just my personal use. So now I do not buy any extra. I do, if I really like the colors, invest in an extra set of the markers. I like the fact that the colors look similar to others. To me it is a shading type thing, like with copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrzaworskiView Post
I love Wisteria Wonder. It's a beautiful shade, I wish they would bring back a lot of the other colors they retired. UGH!
Old habits are so hard to break! If Wisteria Wonder is the only one you really love (and if you don't already have a shade like that), why don't you just get that one? Just buying one is so much cheaper than buying them all, and then you'll have $ left over for a future purchase. :-) Hope you have a great afternoon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll add the same wisdom. Buy them only if you love them. And if there is only one you see yourself using frequently, just buy the one. Paper and a marker... that is all I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #10  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts

The first two years of InColor I bought everything. As time has gone by, I ONLY buy what I like. And now that the markers are available, I rarely buy the ink pads to go with it. I do like a lot of the DSP in the new mini catalog. I am trying to decide if I want to order a pack of one of the colors that coordinates or just order a InColor pack with a few sheets of all the colors. I'm leaning toward the pack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Of the new in colors I like the Midnight Muse dark blue shade. I use it most of all. I'll have to convince myself that I'll like another color if I can't find it again when it's gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gone back and forth on this. In the beginning, I bought all the colors. When I realized how quickly they retired (I had packs I hadn't even opened that retired), I refused to buy any. When they changed it so the colors are around for two years, rather than one, I went back to buying them. But this time, I only buy the colors I like. I usually skip the pinks, with some exceptions (like Blushing Bride and Raspberry Ripple).

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

It also depends on how perfectly you need things to match. I recently made something the Christmas DSP with Gumball Green in it. I did not have any Gumball Green Ink or CS, so when I needed it, I just substituted Garden Green and for what I was doing it looked fine. Sometimes close is good enough. On the other hand, I don't have a sub for Pool Party, so I just bought some paper and the pad, just because I like the color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always get the InColor markers set and cs set. If I really like a color I'll get the cs pack of it but I haven't bought an InColor ink pad since they revamped their colors in 2010. I saved several of the retired colors and with the current ones that I have, I can always find a pretty good match to anything-and no one who gets my cards knows the difference. Besides, a lot of the InColors are just reworked versions of old and new colors anyway. I'm not a demo and have limited space so this works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Out of this years in colors, I love midnight muse and Summer starfruit. I know some people don't like it but it is really one of my favorite colors of all time!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the InColor packs the first two years they came out and am still trying to use up (also tried to sell) most of them. I also found that as SU came out with more, they were a close enough match to their standard colors. I will only buy an InColor if I REALLY like like it, such as the Midnight Muse which is also the only "new" style pad I have and I do love it. I still have my really old pads (the first style) that work very well yet with reinkers and I don't have messy fingers every time I open up one.
I did try a challenge with myself to use only those old InColor papers for some cards and I really bombed out. cannot love them!!
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I buy them if I like them. I liked all the ones that are retiring now. I like all the current ones except Gumball Green, which looks like a childrens' construction paper color to me. I agree with with you, Michelle - Midnight Muse and Summer Starfruit are the best of this group. The Primrose is nice.

I do make sure I have an assortment pack of all current in-colors, just like I have an couple of assortment packs of every color family. I do the Color Challenges and need to have them on hand so I can do any challenge, no matter what color they throw at me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I also start with the In Color markers and assorted card stock. I only buy the ink pad & refill if I really like the color. I find that my like/dislike will change after I use the colors or see others creations. I didn't like summer starfruit but now I find I like the ink but not the paper.

I also have learned not to stock up with a retiring color because I rarely use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

If you weren't to waste a ton of $$$ on cardstock and inks that you don't end up actually using or that you don't love with all your heart...what else could you spend the $$$ on?
Reply With Quote Likes