Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-24-2004, 05:23 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coloring stamped image?

JUst wondering if you use markers, water color pencils, ink, etc to color in your stamped image? Also, how do you color in the tiny areas without running into another colored area? Hope this makes sense.TIA!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 05:43 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Default coloring images

My favorite way to color in an image is with pastels and a blender pen. The tip of the blender pen is a nice "point" so you don't have to worry about the colors running together. Sometimes I use markers, but generally I stick with the pastels and blender pens (probably because I don't own a whole set of markers yet). If I want an image to look "soft", I just use the chalks and the applicators that come with them. Hope this helps.

amc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 05:46 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Default more image coloring

Sorry.. hit the "submit" button to fast. I have used the ink as a "watercolor paint" (either with a watercolor brush or a blender pen) and that has a nice effect. Sometimes I do just use colored pencils and even watercolor pencils some times. However, I find that the colored pencils and watercolor pencils do not always give me as many color options as the pastels (and ink pads).

amc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 05:50 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I always go by the feeling that I'm wanting the image to relay. If I want it to be soft with deep blending, I would use the aqua painters and pads for a watercolor look. If I want it to be bold I would use the markers.

I tried the watercolor pencils with the aqua painters and find that I personally still like the blender pens with these. I think they give a bolder, more solid look.

Just depends on what look you're going for!
- Susan
www.inkedblessings.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 05:56 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Default staying inside the lines

If I have a lot of tiny areas and I want the colors not to blend together I stamp with VersaMark and then emboss with detail embossing powder -- the embossing helps to keep the areas separate.

maxine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 06:47 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

ARe pastels chalk? Does a blender pen have color in it or just use it to apply the color?
What is a aqua painter??????Sorry but this is all new to me..TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 07:55 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Default different items for coloring

I always use "pastels" and "chalks" interchangeably. I'm not an expert, but I believe they are the same thing. Stampin' Up! sells them in a set where you get all 48 colors plus white for $24.95. I think it's a deal and a great way to have all the colors.

The blender pens are like colorless markers. Therefore you use them to apply color (chalks, ink from stampin' pads, blending water color pencils, etc.). They are great. They come in a pack of 3 pens, each with a double tip. You clean them using your stampin' scrub and stampin' mist.. just like you clean your stamps.

An aquapainter is a new tool used to apply color. I do not own one yet, but basically, you fill the "painter" with water and the water comes out the tip. You use it like you would a watercolor brush, without the need to dip it into water. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

In my opinion, the blender pens and the chalks are a "must buy", especially if you want to have access to all the Stampin' Up! colors for coloring in images.

Happy Stamping!

amc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 08:00 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

THanks so much for the great explanation. I understand now... So i should add blender pens and chalk to my list I think...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 08:15 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

watercolor is my fave, but depending on the look, sometimes i use markers, or watercolor pencils (dry).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 08:24 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default So many coloring options from which to choose!

You ask a wonderful question - thank you for the incentive to share my most loved techniques. I must be a frustrated elementary school student, because I LOVE to color in my images! I will preface what I share with that I am a former SU demo, so have no personal stake in promoting their products. When I suggest SU it is because I truly believe their products are the best.

SU Basic Black and Basic Brown are great for stamping the image so that any watercoloring technique you may use later will not run. Embossing is wonderful for that as well (especially if you are using the bleaching technique to bleach out areas inside the stamped image).

SU Pastels/chalks are truly wonderful and give a subtle, soft effect. I usually use a q-tip type makeup applicator to apply the color.

Blender pens and aqua pens using ink are great too, and give a more subtle watercolor look than the markers.

The markers are great for dramatic bold images. I have found for subtle detail work non SU markers in the darker colors (especially greens) give me more possibilities. I use my soft subtles color family the most for SU Markers.

Artists pencils - I love my pencils, and use Prismacolor (can be individually replaced as I use them up!). I haven't used the SU artist or metallic pencils, but many people love them!

Watercolor pencils are some of my favorites. SU is a great place to start for a relatively low cost set. I am a gardening gal, and love to use watercolor techniques for botanical images, so I required much more variety of greens than the SU allows. I bit the bullet and purchased the largest set possible of artist quality watercolor pencils - Albrecht Durer (from Dick Blick and ASW - artist supply warehouse - both have excellent sales, and the individual pencils can be replaced 1 at a time - a real plus for me!). I use a Niji waterbrush to apply water (SU version is the aquapainter, which I've yet to try). I'm a clutz, so having the water in a well within the brush itself is a real mess-saver for me!

Of course, I HAVE to tell you about coloring images in Twinkling H20s! They are great alone or in combination with other coloring techniques. There have been numerous discussions on H20s already so I won't repeat them here, but share a couple of links to them instead: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Info on how to use: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I'm sure you'll get LOTS of other suggestions as well! I hope you find "coloring" as much fun as I do!!

All my best,

Coloring Geek Nancy in Rockland Co. NY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2004, 05:46 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

THanks for the informative info nancy...Gone to check out the link.
Reply With Quote Likes