Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I really heart this thread. Buying, using and organizing are all things I love to do. I envy people who can create with chaos around them, but it isn't me. The organizing allows me to thrive in my environment. Now to check out Really Useful tubs . . . thank you, Shazsilverwolf for the tip.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 509 Likes on 229 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
What I�ve found is that the stuff I�ve organized gets used way more often than the stuff that is not organized so I�m really feeling the need to organize - looking for something in the unorganized stuff makes me feel really cranky!
Oh, so true, Susan!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
At first I read your last sentence as, "... but an active creative process doesn't thrive with a vacuum." As in vacuum cleaner, and I was nodding...

That works too.
I've found that cleaning is best left to the end except for a few tasks that are easy in the middle of a project or necessary - wiping off stamps, and doing hazard control on any stray glitter before it contaminates everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I started to toss the whole thing in the trash because I have never and figured would never use them when it finallyoccurred to me you already have 'free' magnetic sheet for your dies

Great that you found a use for your supplies, that's always a satisfying feeling. If you do come across stuff in the future you truly can't use, please don't put it in the garbage! Your local thrift store or non-profit that accepts household donations is a better place than the landfill; what's useless to one person is often useful to another.

Some of my best treasures have come from things others deemed no longer worth keeping, including my first die cutting machine. Good ol' purple Spellbinders Wizard is still kicking along and doing fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I am in a constant state or all three: buying, organizing and using. A few months ago I got 2 5x5 Kallax units from IKEA and hubby built and installed them in my craft room. It was Nirvana!! I immediately put stuff in each cubby but of course it wasn’t perfect right away. As recent as yesterday, I was still reorganizing. I’m sure I’ll never have it perfect. I continue to change where I put things based on how much I use them.

I’m pretty organized using boxes to store all my things. Each has consistent contents (stamps by theme, flowers, dies) and I keep a record of everything in My Stuff Pro which is similar (but I think better) than Evernote. I can find all my sentiments, images, colour mediums etc by searching my program. It’s awesome! Before I set it all up this way, I’d go crazy knowing I had a perfect sentiment or image (or die or paper pad...) but I couldn’t find it. Especially sentiments that are in sets with other images. For instance, if a Thank you is in a floral set, it takes a while to find it if I don’t remember it’s in that set. So I have all my stamps indexed in the program. I can’t function if I can’t find things. I freak out and get very anxious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 09:09 PM   #45  
Glitter Guru

Received 863 Likes on 514 Posts
Smile

I have been scrapbooking for around seventeen years, and in that time you just accumulate a lot of stuff. Friends have given me paper, buttons, embellishments, that they had extra. They have gotten me stuff for Christmas and birthday gifts. Then there are the times that I have bought things, some at yard sales, some on sale, and some online. Part of my problem is that I have chronic illness, and it is so easy to imagine using something, but never getting enough time feeling well to do it. Especially when you can't even get around to doing the housework and other things you have to. But I still try to fit in some crafting time when I can, because it is good therapy for me; and I enjoy it. I guess I am more of a dreamer.
So I am going to slowly go through and get rid of things I don't think I would ever use, or use it and then get rid of it. I am a frugal type person, so it isn't easy for me to let go of things, but my space and peace of mind are valuable too! I did get to drop off some stuff at Goodwill today, so at least I know that someone else will get to enjoy it. I do swap or share stuff on the PIF thread at times too, but I can't afford to ship the larger stuff or the 12x12 papers, etc... , so I have to do smaller stuff. Thanks for starting this thread; it is helping me put things in focus in my mind!
I probably won't make a huge dent, but it should be enough to where I can keep it clean and organized. I'll still have plenty to keep me busy for a long time, and I will still continue making cards, etc... I'm sure it will take me some time to get it in shape. It's not even just the actual scrapbooking stuff; it is the stuff that I thought would be good for use in scrapbooking, etc... But I made a small dent, and I am going though pictures now.

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 10-17-2018 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a random thought about playing with no big end goal, just to keep the crafty wheels greased and smack procrastination upside the head. (Thinking NCIS.)

Someone I know makes bookmarks and leaves them in libraries for people to stumble across. She often just dry embosses Shimmer Sheetz, may run one through two folders to get two patterns, and cuts them into strips. Or she may glue/tape a strip of ribbon onto it.

So I sometimes make one to do something, anything, when the creative force is not with me. The one in the photo was from a scrap from testing my first Oxides, just messing around. The bookmark was heat laminated, but that’s absolutely not necessary, since the point is 3-minute play. (I totally get Sue’s stopping/starting with complicated projects, and sometimes I’ve given up after it was planned out.)

I gave it to someone who was nervous about teaching her first card making class. The other side says, “absolutely.”

What 3-minute or super quick making do you do or can you imagine doing?

Last edited by bjeans; 10-18-2018 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #47  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have struggled for years to find "creative time". I have an assortment of go-to excuses... health issues, lack of mojo, and not wanting to lock myself away in a room on the other side from my family while they're all spending time together in the living room. That didn't keep me from buying though! And despite my crafting excuses, I was always in the mood to organize, which worked out well that at least in my crafting hiatus I was still getting something done. Bin by bin I would bring supplies to the livingroom and catalog them in Evernote, a system I have never regretted. The in room organization was quicker as a result of my couch work and while only a few cards (mandatory) got made in that time, I found things with ease. And organizing was a good excuse not to craft. *Gasp* Who would want an excuse not to craft. I guess I did, cause I was relieved to have it. When that project ran out I had to figure a way to ease back into crafting.

This isn't a perfect fix, but its a baby step helping me that may help others. Sometimes I just stamp. That's it. I stamp line images onto a quarter sheet of Neenah and then Bristol and sometimes (watercolor paper too depending on the images). I mark them in pencil on the back the paper and ink (you'd think I'd be able to tell but sometimes... well,). Other days I just color, so I flip through my array of stamped images and pick something that appeals to me or is in the right paper/ink combo for the medium I feel like using. I've yet to bring them full circle into cards, but I'm ok with that. I gave up on trying to participate in challenges and competitions. Turns out my mojo doesn't like to comply with schedules ;-) But hey, at least I can be crafty in small amounts and without the pressure of a final product. I'll get there eventually. I have another couple years with a kid living at home, and I want to enjoy that completely. Perhaps my mojo will be more compliant when I have an empty nest... or out of desperation for a distraction, I will lose myself in the craft room once again.

For the record, I think if organization keeps you touching your crafty goodies, you are doing better off than not seeing them at all. My BFF returned to work after 16 years and is too mentally and physically exhausted to even think about crafting. She doesn't even want to look at her collection. She feels guilty for keeping it when she clearly isn't using it, guilty for thinking about getting rid of it (and maybe wanting to buy it all again in a few years), guilty for not making time for herself, guilty for buying cards with her stash at home, and even feels guilty for feeling guilty. Its a no win situation for her and she can't see a way out. I can't help but think if she still handled her things periodically and felt fondly towards them she would instead just think "Someday..."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Someone I know makes bookmarks and leaves them in libraries for people to stumble across.

What a great idea! I can make bookmarks to jumpstart my mojo; it would be fun to leave them in the school library too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachybabyView Post
What a great idea! I can make bookmarks to jumpstart my mojo; it would be fun to leave them in the school library too.

She might have said she left them in bookstores too - but I don't remember. Some small bookstore owners might enjoy that (the bookstores being small, not necessarily the owners.) We still have a couple of non-chain bookstores around here.

I just have to be careful not to turn it into a Real Goal or I'll rebel against it. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
LOL, not a toilet paper roll. I do a lot of scenic stamping (think Stampscapes, Makin' A Scene, etc). So there is a lot of masking involved. That TP roll is actually a $17 roll of Eclipse masking tape :-)

Marge, I went to your gallery to look at your stamped scenes. Oh my, they are beautiful! That is not something that comes easily to me; color me impressed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

She might have said she left them in bookstores too - but I don't remember. Some small bookstore owners might enjoy that (the bookstores being small, not necessarily the owners.) We still have a couple of non-chain bookstores around here.

I just have to be careful not to turn it into a Real Goal or I'll rebel against it. :rolleyes:

Beth, I just really wish you'd quit quoting my thoughts on this thread - I was completely unaware that you were a mind-reader! Just kidding (kind of...) Seriously, though - I have the same...quirk? I even took a week-long online course designed to help you narrow down which of the projects you were interested in to the one you were most excited about and should start first (understanding that the others would be ready and waiting if/when you came back to them). I successfully chose one (an amazing feat in and of itself) and started the process, then lost interest on Day Two! Typical for me...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Just a random thought about playing with no big end goal, just to keep the crafty wheels greased and smack procrastination upside the head. (Thinking NCIS.)

Someone I know makes bookmarks and leaves them in libraries for people to stumble across. She often just dry embosses Shimmer Sheetz, may run one through two folders to get two patterns, and cuts them into strips. Or she may glue/tape a strip of ribbon onto it.

So I sometimes make one to do something, anything, when the creative force is not with me. The one in the photo was from a scrap from testing my first Oxides, just messing around. The bookmark was heat laminated, but that’s absolutely not necessary, since the point is 3-minute play. (I totally get Sue’s stopping/starting with complicated projects, and sometimes I’ve given up after it was planned out.)

I gave it to someone who was nervous about teaching her first card making class. The other side says, “absolutely.”

What 3-minute or super quick making do you do or can you imagine doing?

What a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjzimView Post
Marge, I went to your gallery to look at your stamped scenes. Oh my, they are beautiful! That is not something that comes easily to me; color me impressed!
Oh thank you so much! Scenic stampers has a smaller, but no less devoted, set of stampers. It can be more difficult, in some ways, but you never get bored with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

I am still reading through the posts but thought I would stop and chat about my experiences. I have been stamping 19 years so you can imagine the amount of product I have purchased through the years. I seldom get rid of supplies as I bought them because I liked them. I found organizing and reorganizing had to be my life with my crafting or I would never find what I wanted when I needed it. Am I 100% organized?....not! Darn it. I also found that it took so much time that I didn't always have time to play BECAUSE of the time organizing. So did my organization have to be acceptable if I missed putting a set into inventory? Yes, it did. So if I don't have time, the set goes into my stock without a number or a category. With a glance, I realize it's not in inventory and when the time permits, I work on getting it listed. At least my most recent purchases are still fresh in my mind. LOL I too used a binder at first for my dies. After accumulating four binders and the weight of them became ridiculous, I changed to a file method of clear pockets with magnetic sheets inside. I used a wooden wine box to hold the pockets and made dividers in subject matter. I still find when I search for a certain die that I forget the section it's in. Like a lamp post die. Do I have it in Christmas or misc? Some get even trickier to categorize. I have them pictured in an inventory book so that I know manufacturer, etc. But I have no number system for the dies. Most of the time what I have is easy to find. Wording is all together. Dies that match a stamp set are with the stamp set. So wish I was finished with unmounting all my wood stamps though. See way too much time organizing! I even build my own shelving, racks, etc, so my time is just more than overboard on organization. I WANT MORE TIME TO PLAY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

At first I read your last sentence as, "... but an active creative process doesn't thrive with a vacuum." As in vacuum cleaner, and I was nodding...

So did I. And then I was thinking flippantly that as there's barely any exposed carpet left in my craft room, there's little chance for the vacuum, and therefore my creative process should be a lot better than it is......

It's been a running joke in my house for a long time now that 'one day' I'm going to reorganise my craft room. It's been a 'take everything out, put some of it back' prospect for several years now. I don't honestly see myself tackling it while I'm working full time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #56  
Gallery Gazer

Thinking of organizing puts me in purge mind. I got rid of tons from my stash from every category: tools, paper, kits, stamps, dies, embellishments, mediums.

I figured I wasted the money buying it, and it didn’t save money keeping it, but keeping it was a reminder of the waste, plus it created clutter. So I donated most to those who might not otherwise be able to craft - like to a senior center. Some went to a few crafty people. Lots went to a lovely thrift shop which now gives proceeds to an animal rescue group that does large-scale rescues, like after natural disasters or hoarding situations.

Some of it wasn’t being wasteful, just part of the journey, discovering the right fit. And some was wasteful as heck. Recognizing the seducers is key. A donate box lives under my desk, and it’s past time to scan stuff again to find what else can leave. Imperfect is okay.

I don’t want to organize what I don’t use.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-19-2018 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #57  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Beth, I just really wish you'd quit quoting my thoughts on this thread - I was completely unaware that you were a mind-reader! Just kidding (kind of...) Seriously, though - I have the same...quirk? I even took a week-long online course designed to help you narrow down which of the projects you were interested in to the one you were most excited about and should start first (understanding that the others would be ready and waiting if/when you came back to them). I successfully chose one (an amazing feat in and of itself) and started the process, then lost interest on Day Two! Typical for me...

My sincerely apologies. I try to keep my well-honed ESP skills hidden as to not alarm people. But welll, there’s this self-sabotage hobby...

My take - only for me - is it has little to do with external choices. It’s the busting-through-a-wall to begin thing. Even something fun. Taking something to completion. For some of us, apparently, it can be rough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
So did I. And then I was thinking flippantly that as there's barely any exposed carpet left in my craft room, there's little chance for the vacuum, and therefore my creative process should be a lot better than it is......

It's been a running joke in my house for a long time now that 'one day' I'm going to reorganise my craft room. It's been a 'take everything out, put some of it back' prospect for several years now. I don't honestly see myself tackling it while I'm working full time.
I was LMAO reading your post. I wouldn’t count on working part time or retirement being the potential answer to your reorganization dreams ! I’ve been retired for the last 5 years, and except for the cross country move, I’ve not been able to even start cleaning out my craft room. Like you I solve my diminishing storage woes by buying new storage devices. Yes that additional rolling cart or quadruple stacked desktop miracle super duper storage rack when my beautiful wood craft room floor has become a patch just large enough to squeeze into. My recommendation is this, enjoy your crafting time life is much too short. You and I both know it ain’t ever gonna happen, leave it to our heirs to deal with !
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 10-19-2018 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2018, 01:54 AM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I just mentioned in another thread I am super organized. I thought collecting was part of this hobby. I do use my things.

I admit when I went through my mourning I organized a lot. It kept things calm for me. Now, I am out of mourning I don't organize. I seem to be a lot more organized. Funny how that works.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2018, 03:37 AM   #60  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Re: 3 minute projects ideas. When I first get in my craft room, the top layer is a small journal in which I sometimes add stamping. I also make little self-affirmation cards using some of the dozens of quotes and motivation stamps I have. I find taking a few minutes and making something that no other eyes will see gets me in the mood to finish whatever is hiding in the next layer!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2018, 05:07 AM   #61  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
Re: 3 minute projects ideas. When I first get in my craft room, the top layer is a small journal in which I sometimes add stamping. I also make little self-affirmation cards using some of the dozens of quotes and motivation stamps I have. I find taking a few minutes and making something that no other eyes will see gets me in the mood to finish whatever is hiding in the next layer!
Mary Beth

Oh! Your little cards are a wonderful idea! Pictures? I love packs of cards - like playing cards - and collect interesting packs - art, quotes, meditations, etc. So why hasn’t it occured to make some, though smaller? Especially given favorite sentiments and stamps that rarely fit an occasion. And I could practice a bit of drawing.

Years ago I attended a week-long workshop at Split Rock Arts Center in the Cloquet Forestry Center (used to be part of the U. of Minn.), called Drawing for the Truly Terrified. It was *tough!* But I learned to rudimentally draw, and one of the wonderful instructors said I had found my voice - tiny wonky renditions of using black pen - a sign, garbage can, stack of dishes - with a pop of watercolor, like just the center of a flower.

The instructor gave me a little Cotman travel set of watercolors that I still have, though now love QoR and oddly, Art Loft/Michaels.

Large is not appealing (aka scary) and your little cards may help jump start this again. It’s been years.

Thank you, Mary Beth.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

Count me in on the working small and the three-minute idea! My favorite quickies are scraplings and lunchbox note cards.

As far as decks of cards, I made these for all of my daughters and a couple of friends for Christmas a couple of years ago, after initially making a set for one of my nieces...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #63  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Oh! Your little cards are a wonderful idea! Pictures? I love packs of cards - like playing cards - and collect interesting packs - art, quotes, meditations, etc. So why hasn’t it occured to make some, though smaller? Especially given favorite sentiments and stamps that rarely fit an occasion. And I could practice a bit of drawing.

Years ago I attended a week-long workshop at Split Rock Arts Center in the Cloquet Forestry Center (used to be part of the U. of Minn.), called Drawing for the Truly Terrified. It was *tough!* But I learned to rudimentally draw, and one of the wonderful instructors said I had found my voice - tiny wonky renditions of using black pen - a sign, garbage can, stack of dishes - with a pop of watercolor, like just the center of a flower.

The instructor gave me a little Cotman travel set of watercolors that I still have, though now love QoR and oddly, Art Loft/Michaels.

Large is not appealing (aka scary) and your little cards may help jump start this again. It’s been years.

Thank you, Mary Beth.

Beth

I’m not at home today to post so I will get some attached to this thread tomorrow, with instructions.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #64  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Count me in on the working small and the three-minute idea! My favorite quickies are scraplings and lunchbox note cards.

As far as decks of cards, I made these for all of my daughters and a couple of friends for Christmas a couple of years ago, after initially making a set for one of my nieces...

I’m impressed that scraplings are quickies in Sue World! For me they’re cards so not quick, but I’d only stumbled across this one by JoAnne (AngelNorth), and the little squirrel stole my heart:

Hello and welcome! by Angelnorth - at Splitcoaststampers

Your cards are adorable - and what a thoughtful gift for your niece. That takes time and digging deep sometimes - when the goal targeting what’s just right for someone, like your niece.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

At least you can see some of your table! Not so much on mine...:( But it is a work in progress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #66  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow! Who knew this thread would grow so much! I'm still trying to organize/declutter my craft room. Seems like I have been working on it forever, but I can definitely see progress. Good to know others are in varying stages of this progress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
Wow! Who knew this thread would grow so much! I'm still trying to organize/declutter my craft room. Seems like I have been working on it forever, but I can definitely see progress. Good to know others are in varying stages of this progress.

Some of us have a permanent address here...:rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 02:19 PM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Friday we will be celebrating my DH's 80th birthday. We will have out-of-town guests for a few days as well as our family here.

My "studio" is ready. My desk is clean. I hope I remember where I put everything when everyone goes home! ;)

Last edited by Dorie95; 10-22-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #69  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
Friday we will be celebrating my DH's 80th birthday. We will have out-of-town guests for a few days as well as our family here.

My "studio" is ready. My desk is clean. I hope I remember where I put everything when everyone goes home! ;)
Good luck with that! I’d be in a mess since I can loose something for hours that was in my hand just seconds prior ! Sounds like you’ve everything under control, have a wonderful time celebrating! Sending Happy Birthday wishes to your DH on his very special day.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2018, 03:31 AM   #70  
Gabfest Goddess

Here are a few examples of the motivation/quotes cards I make to get the juices flowing. They are a great scrap user-upper project. I find it fun to take out little-used sets and just stamp. I use dies most of the time and if I cut paper to a certain size to fit a stamp I round the corners.
Mary Beth
Attached Thumbnails
Collecting, organizing, using-dscf1361.jpg   Collecting, organizing, using-dscf1362.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Here are a few examples of the motivation/quotes cards I make to get the juices flowing. They are a great scrap user-upper project. I find it fun to take out little-used sets and just stamp. I use dies most of the time and if I cut paper to a certain size to fit a stamp I round the corners.
Mary Beth

Well those are a lot of fun! I may have to follow your example and have a play. It would be a great way to "test run" stamps to see if they need to stay in my stash or be moved out into the flow...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #72  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Moved in April, downsized and decided to go through every single box to evaluate if it would stay or go in the new place. Just last week, completed the 1st goal in my craft of clearing the floor of boxes. Now working on clearing surfaces and recently finished with my paper craft desk. It has been delightful to work on my Halloween project! I just pull out the totes of paper, embellishments, stencils, etc. and they are at hand. When I am done, they go back to their storage spot and the desk is clear again. I am finding that doing a little at a time on the project seems to work better for me. Visited the project three or four times during the day and it moved right along. Not so much pressure. Also, it seems to help, having some time for my right brain to ponder what's next for the project.

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #73  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Mary Beth

Just terrific - kind of what I imagined, though didn’t expect different sizes/shapes. So inspiring, thank you!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2018, 02:34 AM   #74  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I can also very much relate to this thread. I am in the midst of reorganising my stamps and dies because as my collection has grown & my initial sorting just into stamp and die brands only stopped working for me. I was frustrated if I wanted to find an owl stamp or stitched circle dies because it would take me ages to find them & sometimes didn't find them at all which made me grumpy.

So, I set to work to change my organising to something more practical and I am well on the way to being finished and I have attacked it with great enthusiasm. It was such a huge mess at first which makes you wonder why you started but you know that it is going to work so much better in the end that it keeps you going. My system has stamps sorted into categories like bunnies, cats & dogs, alphas, background, ocean-themed etc. and then within those categories, they are sorted into brands. My dies are also sorted in a similar way. My daughter asked me for some heart dies yesterday & I was able to go straight to them. I don't think any system is perfect but I have been really enjoying reorganising my stash. It has reminded me of some stamps that I have forgotten about & it has been like finding buried treasure & I feel excited Maybe my Pretty Pink Posh stamp set that has been missing for over a year might turn up as I can only find the dies!:p

And yes, it is 3 hobbies for me - but that's OK. And when I started in 2008, there were no dies nor 6 x 6 paper pads - just punches & rubber stamps & 12 x 12 papers - so it is natural that as our hobby evolves, that we will need to revisit how we organize it and that it is practical & logical for us. And reorganizing seems to help me relax - and I really need that in my role as a Carer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2018, 05:38 AM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ah, JoBear - you are such a sweetie! Every time I read one of your posts I am reminded what a gentle soul you are...

I agree that, with the evolution of the craft, the storing/organizing needs have morphed and taken on a life of their own. I'm on a mission to simplify somewhat. I got rid of well over half of my colored cardstock stash (thanks for the motivation, Joan B) and went through my inks last night - sixteen colors culled! DP is next up, but may have to wait until after the holidays. I need to MAKE things!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #76  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Ah, JoBear - you are such a sweetie! Every time I read one of your posts I am reminded what a gentle soul you are...

I agree that, with the evolution of the craft, the storing/organizing needs have morphed and taken on a life of their own. I'm on a mission to simplify somewhat. I got rid of well over half of my colored cardstock stash (thanks for the motivation, Joan B) and went through my inks last night - sixteen colors culled! DP is next up, but may have to wait until after the holidays. I need to MAKE things!
Thank you Sue - that is very kind of you ((hugs)). Well done on simplifying your stash
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #77  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Quote:

In any case, it got me to wondering what others' experiences were. What would you say that your ratio of time spent on the three areas might be? Am I the only crazy out there that can't function in a less-than-organized space? Is there another category that I'm overlooking? Thoughts?

Oh friend, if my space had to be organized, I'd NEVER stamp! LOL

I occasionally try to organize a certain part of my space. For instance, one wall has a slat board where I used to display projects for my SU classes and club. Now I use it to hang some of my stamps, like Unity & ODBD that come in bags. I spent a fair amount of time moving them, but I still have quite a few ODBD stamps that are older in boxes. It is unlikely I will ever get everything set up neatly. I dream of reorganizing, and even have a dear friend who is super energetic who will help me *when* I get a plan.

She told me that about 18 months ago. :rolleyes:
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #78  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

I finished reading this thread (taking a break from a stack of fall cards) and I am smiling at the diversity in style and approaches to organize (or not). It is yet another reminder of how creative people express themselves in so many ways...which is what makes life so beautiful and full of surprises!

But I am also wishing for a SCS Buddy system. You know, a super creative person visits someone like me. heehee Not sure what I could offer in return. Chocolate??
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes