Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #1201  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

wow...lots of green is hitting my eyes these days! haha
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #1202  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,059 Likes on 816 Posts

I couldn't possibly pick a single favourite story, or even author. I loved the Anne of Green Gables books, still do (though the first one I read by here wasn't Anne at all, it was Jane of Lantern Hill, and that would have been when I was a little older). Ferdinand the Bull was another one I really liked, for the drawings and Ferdinand's character. I still have my mother's copy of that. Babar!! I loved his and Celeste's adventures. I have my dad's copies of a couple of those . We had some books that I can't think of the name now, but they were American and featured Jerry Muskrat and raccoons and bears and were so exotic and foreign to us. I liked the Francis Hodgson Burnett books too - The Secret Garden and The Little Princess but maybe The Lost Prince was my favourite. Winnie the Pooh...the Madeleine books, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. How ever could I just pick one? I've mentioned Two Can Toucan before - I just treated myself to a new copy of that. There's a wonderful series of Walker books about Little Bear with the most beautiful illustrations, I have some as postcards. And there are many more. Nope, I can't possibly just pick one. But the one I used for my card inspiration, I've shared in the challenge thread now that I've finally got my card uploaded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #1203  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Almost all of Joan Aiken's books, Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" series, all the Mary Poppins books ...they're on my re-read when I have time list, the first two I still do read regularly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #1204  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

Hands down Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I could read those books over and over again. I was so sad to finish "The Last Battle" when I first read them when I was younger. I didn't want it to end. Can't wait to read them with my boys!

The Stamping Actuary

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #1205  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great question Angie. Anne of Green Gables and Helid would have to be my favourites, very closely followed by Enid Blyton books - Famous Five and Secret Seven. Sue28 just mentioned Heidi, Heidi Grows Up and Heidi's Children.....now I'm trying to get my head around Heidi having sex!!!

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #1206  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

Sabrina, Jen, and Susie, you're all naming others of my favourites! So many wonderful books!

Angie, you posed the question - now I want to know what your favourite was?

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 07:47 PM   #1207  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Hi friends!

I've been busy with my diocesan council stuff the last couple of days. I wanted to put my Irish touch on today's colors, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I realized I still haven't uploaded my Friday cards! Good grief. I did upload the Mixability card to my neglected blog, since it was also a blog challenge, so the photo is edited. I'll get it done before hubby gets home tonight.

Favorite childhood books? Many good ones listed here...

I loved the Little House on the Prairie series. I didn't read The Chronicles of Narnia until I was an adult...wow! So much beauty, such incredible characters.

A book that is beloved by my entire family is The Phantom Tollbooth. Very imaginative; great use of language. When I was in high school, my mom wanted to order a hard cover copy for each of us kids to become something of a keepsake, plus one she could keep at home as we all grew up and moved away. She went to Waldenbooks, and they said it had been out of print. They did a search, and found 5 hard cover copies in a warehouse somewhere in another state! I treasure that book, to this day.
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #1208  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

You're bringing back great memories! I loved Andrew Lang's Fairy Tale books, especially the Blue Fairy Book, Little House on the Prairie series, Nancy Drew series. I was and still am an avid book worm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #1209  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennifrannView Post
Hands down Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I could read those books over and over again. I was so sad to finish "The Last Battle" when I first read them when I was younger. I didn't want it to end. Can't wait to read them with my boys!

Yes! After I put my light out I was thinking how did I forget Narnia. Dawn Treader was the first one I read, I think Silver Chair is my least favourite. I used to have a poster map of Narnia, done by Pauline Baynes, hanging on my wall. My Dad mounted it in hardboard for extra durability.

Does The Hobbit count? It's definitely more a children's book than Lord of the Rings. When I was about 21, I lived with friends for a few months. They had at the time three young kids, two of the reading-to age. I used to read to them when I got home from work. The first book was Winnie the Pooh. Then his dad started Reuben on The Hobbit. Oh my, he could have me read that to him till I lost my voice, but I'd have to read something more suitable for his younger sister first. And even though both his dad and I were reading it to him, he could always tell each of us exactly where the other had left off.

I too loved the Laura Ingalls books, including Farmer Boy. And I just reread The Phantom Tollbooth about a month ago. Sometimes on the way to work I pass a smallish stout man who wears a lovely check overcoat and he always reminds me of the Humbug.

Last edited by Cook22; 02-26-2019 at 10:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #1210  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Here's the sketch challenge: Sketch Challenge 738 {02/27/19} - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2019, 11:40 PM   #1211  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I knew I shouldn't have clicked here...help, I've fallen down the rabbit hole and I can't get up....

I've spent the last couple of days looking at all our beloved books from my childhood and the boys beloved books and even beloved DH's books.

it makes me happy to just look at the covers, and then I'll pick one up and then I'm hopelessly lost! Phantom Tollbooth, Robinson Crusoe, Old Yellow,
The Redwall Series, Narnia, Tales of EarthSea, The Secret Garden.

It is impossible to narrow it down to one...but I have found my quote...

Thanks everyone for chiming in on your favorite...another way to get to know each other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 03:22 AM   #1212  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Oh yes, Carla, how could I forget Nancy Drew? I loved her! And Encyclopedia Brown. I've always enjoyed a good mystery.
I can't believe I've never even heard of The Phantom Tollbooth. Looks like a trip to the library is in order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #1213  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I just put a hold on Phantom Tollbooth in Overdrive. I could add so many more from my different ages and stages of life!

Thank you Angie for a delightful trip down memory lane.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #1214  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, what a wonderful trip down memory lane! All those books I read as a child - I was a voracious reader! No wonder I grew up to be a librarian!

Like you, Kim, I didn't read the Narnia books till I was an adult - I read them when I was in university and probably got way more out of them than I would have got when a child.

Susie, I loved Enid Blyton too but my favourite series was the Adventure series - the idea of being off having those adventures without any adults supervising us was so captivating.

And any books about animals - Black Beauty, Lassie Come Home, 101 Dalmations. All those old classics were wonderful.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #1215  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,917 Likes on 2,185 Posts

I have always loved books, but I can't remember any that I read when I was younger. My earliest remembrance was War of the Worlds in middle school. I think the way it was written was hard for me to follow but I can't remember.

I remember more the books I read to my boys. But they weren't novels, just small stories. The Bernstein Bears, Richard Scarry books, Goose Bumps, Little Critter.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #1216  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I certainly would count The Hobbit as a children's book. While I read it as an adult I read it to my kids and they loved it. It is a strange thing to read a series as a child and then again as an adult. I read the Narnia books as a kid and then again in University for a course actually called 'Fantasy in Narnia and Middle Earth'. (this was the 70's after all) Definitely appreciated them more as a child. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #1217  

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Thanks, Susan! I loved reading so much! What wonderful adventures. I mostly went to the school library for my books but my parents occasionally bought us 37cent Little Arch Books. They were Bible stories and my all time favorite was of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego! I read it over and over again. I was crazy about their faith. "Our God will deliver us but even if he doesn't..........." I also loved Cinderella! Loved it. I devoured the Little House books over and over and there was a two-book series about a huge family in the early 1900's I think. I can't remember the title. :( I loved their adventures. I shared my love for them with classmates and we would act out the stories on the playground!!! I loved Nancy Drew and there was a series called Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators. That series really captured my imagination!! A little spookier than Nancy Drew but still nothing like the things on the shelves these days!

Our son had many learning difficulties and couldn't read in the third grade so I read him several of the Harry Potter books and then he started reading them on his own!! Before he could read on his own though I would read until I had no voice left! Such sweet memories!

I am afraid these days I spend all my extra time creating cards. I need to read again!

So fun to hear all the titles some familiar, some unfamiliar.

Steve read the Narnia books to the kids but I still have never read them and I was usually washing the dishes while he was reading to them.

I would agree that the Hobbit counts. I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy in my 20's. LOVED the ride!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #1218  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I love the Nancy Drew series, too..and Encyclopedia Brown! I still enjoy mysteries as an adult. Sometimes, I check them out from the library or get them as freebies with my Amazon Prime "Kindle Firsts." I use the Kindle app on my android phone.

I also use Audible. I will often stamp while listening to a book, but usually only if I am making duplicates, like thank you's or Christmas cards. If I am making a detailed card, I end up missing stuff and have to replay entire chapters! Earlier this month, I listened to my first GK Chesterton novel. "Manalive!" which was very different and enjoyable.

I always have an audio book, an e-book, and at least one "book-book" going at once. Some are serious subjects on faith/Saints/etc. I participate in a Catholic women's book club online a few times a year. The mysteries are good for lighter reading, oh and historical fiction! And I have some books that just sit on an end table for an occasional search for good quotes. I love books!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #1219  

We love books at our house too, Kim! We have them all over. I bought my husband a Kindle unlimited subscription last year at Christmas and he loves it. I love to browse our Barnes & Noble for their bargain books. We used to be library only people but it is fun to go to B&N and bring home a book. After all the book talk, I am now inspired to close down the computer and read a few pages! I just finished my Fan Club Christmas card for March so I can go read without thinking I have a deadline looming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #1220  
Stazon Splitcoast

I lived in England till I was 10 and then we came to Canada - at that point, I discovered Nancy Drew, Anne of Green Gables, and the Trixie Belden mysteries - does anyone remember them? I still love reading mysteries - they are my light escapist reading.

And Kim, I'm a big audio book fan too - always have one on the go in the car.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #1221  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just checked for the Ways to Use It challenge in case it got posted early and there it is:

Foiled Again

I was at a friend's house a few days ago and she just got a laminator and some foil so I got to try it out - I'm going to turn one of my test pieces into a card tomorrow for Ways to Use It!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #1222  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a terrific chat this has been. I wonder what kiddies born today will reminisce about in 50 years. Susan I googled your Trixie Belden - girl detective, she sounds great. Ang I know your son is in college so I was confused how you read Harry Potter to him in the third grade....wow the first Harry Potter book was released almost 22 years ago. Gotta read one!

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 03:17 AM   #1223  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I loved lots of the books already mentioned when I was a kid but being a Brit I have to throw in a special mention for Alan Garner. I absolutely adored Elidor with The Owl Service running it a close second. Some of his later novels are very much more adult reading and I've enjoyed those too but if you cast me onto a desert island and allowed me a single children's book it would be Elidor!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 03:39 AM   #1224  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Yes! Trixie Belden was so fun! Loved her too!

This foil challenge is going to be a tough one here in my hotel room. It may have to wait until I get home....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 05:17 AM   #1225  

Susie, it's hard to believe it's been 22 years for Harry Potter isn't it? We were late to the Harry Potter party. I knew of the movies and books but we didn't go see the movies or read a book until S was actually in his 2nd time going through 3rd grade. I picked up the first book at a yard sale on a whim. I really think those books had something to do with Seth reading! I am still in awe that our little boy with all his learning difficulties overcame them and is in the last semester of his 3rd year of college!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 05:19 AM   #1226  

I remember Trixie Belden but I don't remember ever reading them. Not sure why.

Aww. Jennifer. Bummer on the foil and the hotel room! Next time you will have to pack a piece just in case. Of course, when you do there won't be a challenge for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #1227  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I loved lots of the books already mentioned when I was a kid but being a Brit I have to throw in a special mention for Alan Garner. I absolutely adored Elidor with The Owl Service running it a close second. Some of his later novels are very much more adult reading and I've enjoyed those too but if you cast me onto a desert island and allowed me a single children's book it would be Elidor!

I didn't get to read Alan Garner until I was at university - we studied him in the Children's Lit course I did when I was doing my librarian's degree. In fact I wrote a paper on "Red Shift" for that course!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #1228  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Oh, The Owl Service always scared me a bit. The Weirdstone of Brisingamen (sp) was my favourite of Garner's. I liked Red Shift, too. The BBC did a good film version of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #1229  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

The WT looks fun!
After doing the MIXability tin tile challenge last week I still have some aluminum foil on my table.

But I also have some Nuvo gilding flakes I bought impulsively after watching a Unity Co quick tip video. Gold, silver, and copper! I haven't even opened them!

I could use gold and combine with the color challenge. Hmmm, that's the plan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #1230  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

do any of you remember a book called
How now brown cow?

( My mom has told me over the years that that was the book when I was a toddler and they wore the copy out and she forgot who wrote it and that may not be the correct title) but, she keeps hunting, she had wanted to gift a copy to us when J was born but, ( he will be 23 next week...) and someday who knows I could be a gma right so...
its on one of those mental wish lists to find.

I read everything that is not nailed down lol.
and my son that never reads fiction, the Harry Potter series is the only fiction I ever got him to read. ( I told him if he wanted to see the movies he had to read the books first) :mrgreen:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #1231  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Oh, The Owl Service always scared me a bit.

I agree but I think I always enjoyed a bit of scariness in my books as a child!

I hope formal study didn’t reduce the enjoyment Susan! He’s a fascinating character, too - many years ago he and his wife “rescued” a building called The Old Medicine house and moved it to extend the ancient property they own in Cheshire. The story of it is here on the Blackden Trust web site.

Stacy, I only know that phrase as an elocution exercise. Good luck tracking down the book!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #1232  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How Now Brown Cow

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
do any of you remember a book called
How now brown cow?

( My mom has told me over the years that that was the book when I was a toddler and they wore the copy out and she forgot who wrote it and that may not be the correct title) but, she keeps hunting, she had wanted to gift a copy to us when J was born but, ( he will be 23 next week...) and someday who knows I could be a gma right so...
its on one of those mental wish lists to find.

I read everything that is not nailed down lol.
and my son that never reads fiction, the Harry Potter series is the only fiction I ever got him to read. ( I told him if he wanted to see the movies he had to read the books first) :mrgreen:
How Now, Brown Cow?: Alice Schertle, Amanda Schaffer: 9780152766481: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #1233  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I always think of "how now brown cow" for vocal exercises in choir

Open wide! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 07:51 PM   #1234  

The MIX is up! I hope I can play! I think a single line can really add something to an image or scene.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #1235  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I like Ky's suggestion of a line of stitching. I've been missing sewing on my cards, I was just thinking that the other day.

I remembered another book series I love and still re-read: Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time and the other books in the series. A Swiftly Tilting Planet is my favourite. I enjoyed her other books too, but that series is the only one I held onto, plus the one that's set in New York that I can't remember the name of...it includes the Austins who feature in a few of ger books but also has David and Emily.

And I'll be back with one more book that I need to go and check the name of (and read again!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2019, 12:23 AM   #1236  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Received 571 Likes on 458 Posts

The Free For All is up:

F4A471 Is It Spring Yet? 3.1.19 - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2019, 03:29 AM   #1237  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Henrietta's House, by Elizabeth Goudge - and looking it up to check who wrote it, I see it was the third in a series. I never knew that before. Hmm, a little research could be done.

I'm glad Ky said we could be creative because I stamped my line three or four times. The next part is drying.

Oh, and who else read the Moomin books? I just loved those. I have a little enamel trinket dish my dad made for me with Moomin on it.

Last edited by Cook22; 03-01-2019 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: adding more books I thought of
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #1238  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I lived in England till I was 10 and then we came to Canada - at that point, I discovered Nancy Drew, Anne of Green Gables, and the Trixie Belden mysteries - does anyone remember them? I still love reading mysteries - they are my light escapist reading.

And Kim, I'm a big audio book fan too - always have one on the go in the car.
Susan, yes, I read all those series, too! And I still enjoy mysteries, as well. I am in a book club that has been going for at least 30 years and it is one of the blessings of my life - we've been meeting monthly for all these years. As a child I always had a stack of books from the library. It's fun to see that many of us have the same favorites!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #1239  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

I feel deeply in love with the dragon riders of pern series when I was around 11 or 12 ish? something like that.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #1240  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I feel deeply in love with the dragon riders of pern series when I was around 11 or 12 ish? something like that.

Anne McCaffrey, yes. She was American but lived in Ireland. I remember reading and being enthralled by those, but we only had a couple of them.

Since I've been getting nothing but error messages for recent links I'm not even going to try linking to the IC, unless there's still no link here when I get to the PC, but Polly is the guest hostess and she has chosen the V&A gift shop. Talk about a rabbit hole (see her sample ;-)). I worked in London for a while and spent many happy hours both in the museum and in the gift shop.
Reply With Quote Likes