Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Categorizing stamps/Splitting up sets.

I have been taking a good hard look at my collection as of late, with an eye toward editing it down to what I really like and use, and also figuring out how to expand it in a more focused direction. As in, not buying more stuff I won't use.

I store my stamps on panels standing in a bin, and that won't change. But I have them alphabetized by company. And my single, "various" stamps are on panels labeled "Various 1" and "Various 2" and so on. I have a stamped catalog, pretty basic, just divided by category sections and I've stamped each stamp and written its panel location below it.

But I have this idea that I want to start organizing my stamp panels by category, at least to some degree. So I can flip through all my florals, for instance (the one category that's not in my catalog because it's too big and I was too lazy).

But that's a bit scary to me. Has anyone done this? To take it a step further, has anyone actually BROKEN UP SETS?

I tried breaking up some sets this morning. I took all the sets I had gotten during the six months I belonged to the Unity Kit of the Month and pulled off all the stamps and categorized them into four groups: Images I will use; Sentiments I will use; Pattern stamps I will use; Everything in any of those categories that I will never use. I started with sixteen panels of stamps and ended up with seven. I don't know what I am going to do with all those stamps I don't want. If anyone wants a grab bag of Unity images, patterns and sentiments (lots of sentiments), let me know.

Would love to hear any thoughts on any of the above. I know it's kind of disorganized, but that's how my mind is working this morning.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

My wood stamps are broken up and organized by theme in a card catalog. I have never broken up a cling or photopolymer set just because they take up so much less room I haven't felt the need.

But I do like being able to go right to my bird drawer and get a bird on the woodmount stamps

The issue for me is retaining the manufacturer and stamp set name - I need that for blogging - with wood it's easy - write the name on the side of the block with a sharpie - and the brand is usually already on the label. With cling & PP I'd think it would be a nightmare writing all that down, and I don't have it in me to do the stamp index in a notebook thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There was another thread on this where Sue (gregzgurl) and Dianne (fionna51) were both talking about breaking apart their sets, putting them together, breaking them apart again. Not sure what each is doing currently.

I can't bring myself to break apart my sets, much less rip the rubber from their wood mounts. But that may be something I'll have to face in coming years if my small collection continues to grow.

Currently, I use a stamped index like you -- LOVE IT, but can see it becoming a burden as I get more images. And I have all my stamps stuffed into the drawers of two Iris carts and anything I get will have to go into my third and final cart. I keep telling myself that when that is full, I'll to purge before I buy more. (Or maybe then I'll be ready to start ripping off rubber. LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a quick link to the thread I mentioned earlier.
Stamp set organization by dgmlmax at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Lydia, on my "Various" panels I have the brand/manufacturer penciled below each image. It took time to do, but I like to be able to know where I got a stamp, and to be able to fill in that field when I upload so others can know in case they want to buy something they see and like for themselves.

Maybe I'll ask Sue and Fionna where they are at now. I know Sue has gone back and forth on this. Or maybe they will see this and chime in.

Edited: thanks for the link. I read through it and still not sure where Fionna and Sue ended up.

I think I will make a Pro and Con List for what I am contemplating. What do I gain and what do I lose? Unlike Lydia, I don't blog or teach, so I don't have the same need to know exactly where things came from.

Still interested in anything anyone has to say…

(And doing that experiment with my Unity Kits was an eye opener. I only liked or used about 1/4 of the stamps, so it was ultimately not a good investment for me to subscribe. Live and learn.)

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-08-2016 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Here's the "Reader's Digest Condensed Version" (yes, I am totally dating myself right now) of where I'm at on this:
  • Sets that need to stay as sets because the images are meant to work together (White Christmas, Loads of Love, Festival of Trees) stay together as sets
  • Sentiments are pulled from the sets unless they are in a font that specifically ties to something else in the set (like a to/from tag that combines an image and sentiment)
  • Images that are very specific in style and coordinate with other images in the set (like Priceless) stay together as sets
  • All other images are broken up from the sets and put into categories
One tidbit of clarification: some sets that could conceivably be broken up (like those that have flowers and leaves) stay together, even if they are independent of each other (like that flower doesn't have to have that leaf) I still keep together, since I'll likely use them that way, anyway.

My categories are a tad less specific than they used to be, as well. Instead of "Flowers" and "Leaves and Trees" and "Other Nature" (mushrooms, cacti, etc.), I just have "Things That Grow", so they can all co-habitate peaceably. Another reason why the flower/leaf sets stay together...

One other tip: I store all of my stamps on 3 7/8" x 5 1/2" laminated cards in 4" x 6" photo sleeves (gave myself some wiggle room to allow for the thickness of the stamps), and stamp an index card for each laminated card. The index card goes in one side of the photo sleeve, the laminated card with the stamps goes in the other. I write the manufacturer and stamp (or set) name on the index card. That way I know the origin of the stamp without having to have a separate index. I do have a digital index of the complete sets, and I do have a physical index of sentiments, since some of them fit into more than one category and I like to browse...

I know that you're resistant to the idea of unmounting, but it has been my salvation. That being said, I'm kind of waffling on pulling my Unity stamps off of the cling foam - jury's still out.

Speaking of which - I'm a fan of weird sentiments (and images), so if you want to shoot me a pm about your grab bag, I'd gladly take a look and send you some $$, lol.

Last edited by gregzgurl; 02-08-2016 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 852 Likes on 280 Posts

I have been in the process of breaking up my sets. All of them- woodmount, cling, polymer. Even some of the newer ones that are still current.
I still keep them in SU's cases but have now got them in categories that make more sense to me

I have broken up word sets that are meant to go together and kept only the words I know I will use. Some of the words have gone into my sell at the flea market bin if they will still work on their own. Ones that won't work on their own went straight into the trashcan. No guilt whatsoever.
I feel so free since I've started this and the Stamps I'm keeping take up only half the space they did before.

I'm categorizing mine as such:

Flowers
Leaves n trees
Baby
Juvenile
Thinking of You/Thank You/Sympathy
General Birthday
Shapes/Elements
Backgrounds (unmounted- I can fit 3-4 of them in one of SU's new style woodmount cases)
Christmas with the sub categories of:
Snowflakes
Nativity
Sentiments
Whimsical
Traditional
Other Holidays (Valentine's, Easter, Halloween, etc... I don't have very many, combined they all fit in 2 cases)

I don't keep an index. To me that's yet another thing I would have to maintain that I don't have time to do properly.

My word of the year is SIMPLE so I'm looking at every area of my life and making things more simple so that I can enjoy life more spontaneously
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I tentatively pulled all of my floral sets out of their brand alphabetical order and put them together to see how it would feel. Some of them have another type of set on the same panel, so I am going to wait and see how I feel with them as they are and, if I like it I will move the non-floral sets off those panels. Then I'll think about whether I want to move my single floral stamps onto panels together and put them in that section as well. Florals was a good place to start since they are my favorite category of stamps.

It's nuts how much it bothered me to de-alphabetize those panels! I had to laugh at myself. But it also felt good to be able to rifle through all my floral storage panels and see exactly what I had. And what I didn't have. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oops - sorry, Robin! It isn't you that is resistant to un-mounting, so I apologize for that part. For those who ARE resistant to it, I'll repeat: it has been my salvation! Everything in ONE storage system, and in a MUCH smaller footprint.

I hear you on how weird it feels to un-alphabetize (or otherwise rearrange a long-standing system) initially. You do get over it if/when you see how much better it works for you (if, indeed, it does)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I split my stamps up also after reading the last thread on this. It was freeing. All my sentiments are in one binder. I didn't keep the 100th Thank You stamps either.

I broke the rest of the stamps into categories, which allowed me to see that half my stamps are flower orientated and I don't need to buy any more of those. I have filled in the gaps in the tree category, and created a nice masculine set, etc.

I did keep the SU sets together because they tend to work better as a set. The rest are part of my own sets now. I've never thought about the resale value of my stamps either.

And I unmounted the rubber stamps off the wood blocks. That helps in storing them more efficiently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think I've ever read of anyone being sorry they split apart their sets. I am in the midst of taking the plunge....

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not brave enough yet to split up sets. It does seem to be a wonderful solution to being able to access the type stamp you want fairly quickly.
Sending a PM about the sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 04:30 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Well, I've started. My studio is a mess, storage panels all over the place. I'm doing my florals first. After putting all my floral sets together, I decided to press on and put all my single floral stamps together (I have a lot of panels of single stamps), and started going through my "Various" panels. Wow, I re-discovered stamps I had completely forgotten about! I am going to take that as a good sign.

Whether I go so far as to take a floral image from a set that isn't completely floral is yet to be determined. And I haven't split the sentiment off the floral sets I have at this point. Again, yet to be determined. I so rarely use a sentiment on the front of a card that knowing exactly what I have is not a big issue for me. But I do often leave room for one, in case I want to when I decide what the card's purpose is going to be. So, more to think about.

So far I think I am doing the right thing for me at this time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 05:20 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Whatever anyone is doing EVER is the right thing for them "at this time"...just sayin'...

Kudos to you for being brave! The right thing can change in a blink, so no regrets! You'll love it and carry on, or hate it and revert, or tweak it till you get it just how you want it, or be ridiculous like moi and try out eighteen configurations "just to see" if it works better a different way...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I do mine by cats. No way could I remember what was in brands.

Like Janet this keeps me aware of what I am flush in, and where I have holes.

You may save space Rachel! Collecting all your singles onto one panel instead of however many.

I agree with Sue. You do what works for you at any given time. That changes for me as I see new ideas (to me) or the collection grows, or whatever.

Breaking sets has been hard for me in the past but I am giving it very serious thought now. I have done some already.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Well, now I find myself having to consider splitting those "mixed" sets. And not the sets that Fionna refers to (on another thread) - the ones with just a mixture of useful images for various events with some sentiments, but the big sets meant to be used together - My Oxford Impressions Le Jardin and my Paper Artsy Hot Picks sets, which have a number of different images in each. One one hand, I could keep those together and just stamp the image on the proper index with a "see…" That would work, at least for now. But I have to keep reminding myself that I am one of those people who almost never makes a card using a single set of stamps. It's kind of a thing with me. No one is going to tell me what goes with what. So… more thinking.

Re-organizing does tend to make you examine yourself in ways that reach way beyond the craft studio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 509 Likes on 229 Posts

I think you're hitting the nail on the head, Robin. I saw stamps that were forgotten. I saw stamps that would work together that were from different sets. I just never considered them working together. And I think the best part of it is to see how things work with YOUR thought processes. That's how I found that I don't want to have a multi-step process just to decide on what I want to use. There's enough of that just making the card!

In the other thread mentioned I said that I had gone back and forth...but in my head only! I keep going back to the real reason I split my sets to begin with. Baby stamps all over in all kinds of places! And I don't want to go back to that ever again!

I'm glad we've gotten on the topic of how extreme you go when you divide up the sets. Because, like Sue, I have NOT gone to the total extreme. My florals that have separate and matching leaves...those are together. And I put florals of the same style from different sets together. For example. I have a few line-drawn floral sets from PTI. They coordinate to an extent. Those sets, with their leaves, are together on two cards (they take up that much room) in my floral outline stamps section.

Another example. I have a birthday drawer. It has images and sentiments. 90% of the time those images would be used only for birthday. Hats. Balloons. Cakes. You know how that goes. Birthday sentiments are there too. Now I will definitely make a birthday card that has a sailboat, or a train, or leaves, or trees, or flowers on it. But the hat and balloons and cakes are mostly only used for birthdays. Does that make sense?

Another thing I do. You know those sets that have something like a basket or a flower pot or a box along with a gazillion different things to put in them? I have a few places where I have specified "builder" sets. PTI's vintage picnic basket and SU's Basket full of fun are examples. They are in with my quilting and sewing and baskets section. The stamps in the sets need to stay together, but they are definitely a wide variety of topics! So that's where they ended up. I may someday put a note in other sections like Christmas and holidays to not forget that those sets have applicable stamps.

One drawer that is totally different is what I call my "mongo" florals. Those are floral stamps that are basically card-front size. If I put them on a card, there would be a ton of wasted space. Believe it or not, I have them stacked in my drawer with no card for any of them. :shock: But it works!

Does that answer anyone's questions?
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Great post explaining your system, Diane. Thank you!

I agree - it's important for me to be able to see relationships between images other than what the manufacturer intended. If I make a card with multiple images and they are all from one set, I feel like I didn't stretch myself. That's just me, it's not a judgment on anyone else's process. And of course if you've been in a challenge with me you'll know that I work ridiculously slowly. Most people want to get things done a lot quicker than I expect to. But making a card for me is a kind of meditation (although usually not a peaceful one for the most part). I drift in, take a look, play around, drift out and do something else.

All of which is off topic (but of course as I said, this process of organization does start to make you examine yourself in a larger arena than just crafting!). At this point I only have two companies whose sets I am reluctant to separate, so I am going to stamp the images in them on the proper panel index with a note to see the original set. Then, maybe up the road I'll find I get brave enough to pull even those sets apart, too

I get it about those mongo florals. I have over 40 background stamps, most of which are 6X6. No point in putting those on panels. I just keep them right up against one another in a plastic shoebox. (And those would a good category for a paper catalog in a binder - always so much to do!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Yep...got the backgrounds too. Just didn't mention them.

Have you seen this for backgrounds?
http://onehappystamper.typepad.com/....7dd6015970d-pi

Sorry, I wanted to insert the picture but the insert picture wouldn't take the url.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Diane, I have a birthday drawer as well. Very similar to yours.
I like your idea of a 'builder" set place.
And idea that I have and have done inconsistently is if I have something that could fit in 2 categories, I stamp one image and file that in the area that I didn't file the stamp in. Like I said though - inconsistent. Not sure if it helps anything or makes it all even more confusing! Enjoy reading all of your thoughts though

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Diane - That's pretty much what my backgrounds live in, just like that. They're one of my addictions. I can't not buy one I see that I like. I have far too many.

Today was a long day of making a mess of my studio, and I've already answered all the easy questions about my new system, so left with the less easy ones. I've figured out the obvious categories, but know there are others I haven't gotten settled. Like, all those bits and pieces that you use as design elements - not as big as backgrounds, not skinny strips like borders, but those shapes and flourishes and textural things… I kind of want them to have their own category, but not sure what to call it. Just go with "design elements?"

Cathy, I think your idea is a good one, using an image as a placeholder for a stamp that is actually stored elsewhere. I'm doing that already with my sets that I can't yet bear to break up.

A tiring day, and tomorrow the mess will be waiting for me. Good thing I'm not on any deadlines. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

What is keeping those backgrounds from curling up in the bottom of that tray? ( I have mine inside the clear bags that you would put a finished card in mostly to keep the dust off of them since they are in a bin to be flipped through but, I have a lot more backgrounds on wood that are "art" on the wall behind where I stand to stamp, so the seeing the what looks like neekid backgrounds all together like that is kinda cool photo wise but, my brains says? (what? there is nothing dividing them) that I can see...

am I making sense?

oh, and I have now decided I really despise rubber two step stamps. like florals... :rolleyes:
( I think I would rather have them in clear ) ( are you laughing at me?)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

We would never laugh at you, Stacy! It's hard to tell in the photo, but I'm guessing that those background stamps are on cling foam, and that would hold them upright. Mine are in sleeves along with a piece of laminated cardstock, so they stay upright just fine, but I totally take your point. I used to have all of mine stacked on top of each other, but I got tired of digging, so when I went to my current storage system I integrated them. I don't have them in their own category - the floral ones are with the florals, the Bingo card is in with other game/entertainment stamps, the houndstooth/gingham/paisley ones are in with sewing-themed stamps, etc. I do the same thing with collage or "scene" type stamps. Whatever the main theme is determines which category it's in. When I had them all together in their own category I always forgot about them, so I'm trying it this way now...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 03:32 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Default Leftover stamps

Wow, you all have such wonderful ideas. Now to pick which way will work best for me. If anyone has leftover stamps that they don't want, my church could use any stamps for their card ministry...they wouldn't need sets...miscellaneous stamps would be fine. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I do not know what year these note are from but hopefully 2016 Feb where I am. hahha I never thought I would split sets. I mostly buy SU but I decided to break up some HAPPY and BIRTHDAY from a couple of older SU sets and put them in a SU wood case they sell separately. This way I can use different sizes of happy and Birthday. I have notes in the original set each came from on my shelves etc.
I have all my stamps in alphabetical order, and I have a three ring binder with every stamp,stamp set I have. NOW. I always get two SU catalogs so I can cut the set from one and keep the other with no cutting. If there is no catalog for the other ones I buy I stamp each stamp from the set and put in my binder.
If you have questions [email protected]
Diana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Wow.

I re-read the old thread. I am glad it got pulled up again. I didnt know if I should post this there or here, but since I am talking about my post here, I figured here.

Re-read my answer-which was a year ago. And then realized what I posted in this thread is very different!

I feel like I played word association and got a totally different answer now than a year ago. (which just proves the point Sue is making about how we change)

I have done a 180 in the year since I posted there.

Where I never kept sets together before and was mercenary-I have been now. Not necessarily in the orig package, but in the storage binder. But this year has been different. I was doing a lot of ebay buying before and that would be single woods. This year I have been getting AI/Poppy/Bebunni/etc cling/clear sets. Incidious. I didnt even think about it till now.

Re-selling has become a much bigger issue to me than it was before b/c I invested more in the past year and feel an obligation to DH to re-coup what I can if it ever came to it. With him retiring this year, our income is going to seriously plummet. (as will my buying) I am feeling that much more now than in the past. I know this is my hobby and I should just have fun with it, but in reality, I do have certain responsibilites to other people. While I didnt think about re-sale of other things around the house, now that I take part in a market every year and have been selling off house stuff..I do look at everything here differently now. (I still donate a lot) I just cant ignore the money I make that day.

I also had a DUH moment about when people are talking about breaking up SU sets-you are talking about breaking up wood sets-which I never get. All my wood has been individuals. At least when I got it-some of them are singles from SU sets from ebay. That was particularly dense on my part. LOL

Now I really do want to pull the generic stuff out of the cling/clear sets like HBday, Thinking of you, etc. like the florals from Poppystamps. I could note where I got them from so they could go back with the stamp. I could leave the mfg index with the main group. (I used to cut that too and move it with the stamp) Plus when I index them in my main index the sentiments are there. It could be a PITA, but I should in theory, be able to figure out where they go back to.

So I think that is what I am going to do when I get the time.

As a sidebar-I also realize I interact differently (more) now in a thread than I did then-like "liking" a post. (I just liked stuff from a year ago, but I still agree with it now in that thread or appreciating someone speaking to my post)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

As to the psychological aspect of what you learn about yourself when you organize..it is really interesting. What you associate to what, how detailed about it you want to get, etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Lou Belle,
I would love to donate my unused stamps to your church...please send me or post the address. I'm new to this website so I don't know all the "ins and outs" yet. Is there a way to private message you?
Thanks,
kathymmcc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting thread. As far as resale value: I have sold stamps on eBay for probably 13 years or so, and lately nothing seems to sell, if they do, for only a couple dollars. So, if /when I re-organize, I will not hesitate to break apart sets. I had a hard time (mentally) un-mounting my wood stamps. but needed some extra space. I will probably never get it all organized completely, but have stopped purchasing pretty much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Kathymmcc-you can PM people by clicking on their name.

Ginny-I have noticed on ebay things are dead-ish but that isnt stopping people from listing a stamp for 70 bucks and for me, since I am not collecting but using, is completely out of the question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I've figured out the obvious categories, but know there are others I haven't gotten settled. Like, all those bits and pieces that you use as design elements - not as big as backgrounds, not skinny strips like borders, but those shapes and flourishes and textural things� I kind of want them to have their own category, but not sure what to call it. Just go with "design elements?"
So, I have them like this:
Big backgrounds
Little backgrounds (Like the ones you can stamp over and over to create a background)
Elements: Frames, Shapes, Shadows, Swirls, Tape
Elements: Celtic, Baroque, Music, Celestial

So, yes, "design elements" works great!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for sharing that. This is an undertaking! Not just the sorting and restamping indexes, but the decisions. But today I started to feel like I was working toward something better than what I had, instead of trying to fix something that wasn't actually broken.

And I really thought I had more butterfly stamps than I do! That situation can't be permitted to continue! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
... Today was a long day of making a mess of my studio, and I've already answered all the easy questions about my new system, so left with the less easy ones. I've figured out the obvious categories, but know there are others I haven't gotten settled. Like, all those bits and pieces that you use as design elements - not as big as backgrounds, not skinny strips like borders, but those shapes and flourishes and textural things� I kind of want them to have their own category, but not sure what to call it. Just go with "design elements?" ...
I am keeping "flourishes" and "textures" together for now, but will divide them if they "expand" too much to fit the drawer. Textures is where I put smaller (i.e. not background size) stamps that I use to fill in spaces or add texture. This category includes dots, spots, splatters, tiny grids, stripes, etc. I also have a separate drawer for shadow stamps (think Hero Arts) and geometric designs.

And before anyone passes out thinking I must have a bejillion stamps to fit all these drawers, the stamps are all wood mounted and the drawers are approximately 9" x 12" and hold only one layer of stamps!

Good luck with your project. May the organizing force be with you!
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2016, 02:59 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

I have almost all of my wooden stamps off the block. It takes up way less room. I mounted them on the foam and put them in SU storage cases. I was having a problem getting some of them off the block and read on here one time that they put them in the freezer. That did the trick for most of them. There were still those few stubborn ones but I got them narrowed down now. I am very limited on space but my bedroom looks like a craft room with a bed in it. Can't get a twin bed because I have too much stored underneath it. The next time I move I will have a 2 bedroom!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2016, 05:04 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

I am finding that, with my own collection, there are several large categories - like flowers, butterflies/insects and people, etc. - that I want to have separate sections of my panel bins for because I have so many panels of them. Then, I have categories where I have only one or two panels, and I think I will label them (textures, flourishes, postal, borders) and alphabetize them under a Miscellaneous category. This seems to working for me so far.

I do have some wood mounts, but not many, all stored in one spot. I'm just doing what I've always done with those, which is to stamp them on the proper panel index and write "wood" underneath so I know to look there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Yep, flowers would be considered "the masses"! Mine take up 25% of my drawers.

I have drawers like Dea in post 33 above...about 9x12 and 2 inches deep. But mine are unmounted on cards in pouches and there's 40 drawers. So does that mean I have lots and lots of stamps? That's a "duh" question!

Robin...if it helps you at all, after a few adjustments to my floral organization, I ended up with mine like this:
Silhouette and reverse silhouette
Wreaths and branches
Smaller solids
Larger solids
Extra large of all types
Flowers in containers and bouquets
Outline and whimsey
Realistic
Watercolor
What I found was that if I was using watercolor stamps I'd only want to use other watercolor stamps. Same with the other styles. If I was using flowers in a vase, It would probably be a single image. It made sense to sort them by style.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2016, 05:50 AM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

Robin-You said it perfectly! You are upgrading, not fixing. I am impressed with how fast you are moving along there. Would take me much longer. Go you!!

I have a Misc category to catch all the one offs-a music one or whatever. I used to have the elements in there till there was enough to justify their own.

I have a Flourishes cat which is all that decorative stuff.. I see people use Elements, Decorative...Design Elements sounds very good to me. It just needs to be what your brain will recognize. You dont have to have an answer today. It will come to you. If you pop a post it note on that panel, it will flag you till you decide.

I have my 6 x 6 bg stamps like that too and I just saw Jennifer McGuire has a source for the plastic envelopes for that size and I may get a few. I have many of them in their original pack bag-I just cut off the section with the peg hole for displaying. Those are not the strongest but work for now. They are stamped in the index by category/subject so I know they are there. (not the whole-a piece that says 6 x 6)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2016, 06:02 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Diane, I suspect I am going to end up breaking down my florals, so your category suggestions were useful. It's definitely the kind of stamp I buy most often, and no signs of that changing. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #39  
Glitter Guru

Oh, and wavejumper, kind of had no choice but to move fast! Once you start doing this, you can't stop in the middle. My craft room is a wreck! Can't work in there doing any crafting, there are panels lying all over. I suppose if a challenge comes along that intrigues me, I'll pile everything somewhere and do it. But glad I got my Valentine card for Mr. Wonderful done last week, or he'd be getting a boughten one!

Plus, I have tendency to go at things full force once I decide to do them. In some areas of life, that has served me well and in others it has led to unnecessary exhaustion. Can't say which of the two this will turn out to be. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member

I understand totally. I dont go as fast but I definitely like a project finished. I have too many pending for years now. ugh.

You will have a wonderful thing when you are finished!
Reply With Quote Likes