Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone give me some critique please n tips

I am new to stampin... Can someone give me some advice on how to make my stuff look better. I am having a great time.. How do you come up with some of your ideas is there a good magazine or something that might help with some other ideas. Thanks ladies.
Also What are your most favorite papers, tools etc..
Peppermint3's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks
Peppermint
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Right here on SCS is the best place to get ideas and inspiration! Just check out the galleries, they are amazing! I pretty much get all of my ideas from here. Check out the resources section at the top right, there are great tutorials there!

I use only Stampin' Up products so those are my favorite. Ribbon is a great way to finish off a card and give it that extra "thing". My number one tip is probably a background of some sort. I love background stamps and the newer embossing folders for die cut machines. They add interest, contrast, and depth to a project. I also really like sponging edges of card stock in the same color as the paper, it also adds a little more finished look.

Glitter is fun too, just a tad messy. Also popping things up on glue dots or dimensionals can add some interest as well, makes it a little less flat. Really, there are so many things I like to do:-)

Watercolor paper really helps as well if you are watercoloring, you get a much better end result than with regular paper. Have fun! This is a great place to learn and share!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Smile

Hi & welcome to card making Peppermint. There are no set rules, it is all about what makes you smile and what you like. I do agree with everything Minders said though. I love background stamps & inking edges. I'm not a huge fam of glitter but that is just me. I am thoroughly enjoying myself going through this site and looking at examples of what everyone does. I always mark the examples I like, either on this site or in magazines. I love going back and looking at them. Sometimes I do wonder what I was thinking at the time.

Remember to just have fun with it.

CarleyJ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Ok one problem I had was when I did the embossing on the turq. card, I had some little splatters of embossing powder that ended up getting melted. I used the hair dryer that may have been part of the trouble as it blew too hard. Next I used the heat gun that melts wall paper and paint. That was not as forceful and did not take near as long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #5  

Two things for embossing, you really need an embossing heat gun. It gets hot without "blowing" everything away. Just have to be careful to not hold too close to the paper or hold on for too long and scorch it.

Also, SU! sells a tool called the "embossing buddy" and it is CLUTCH for embossing. I lived a long time without the little bugger and can't believe the world of difference it makes. You probably got the errant specks because of static. What you do is rub the embossing buddy over your cardstock before you stamp and pour the powder over (it will leave a light white residue but all you have to do is take a swiffer cloth after it's done and cooled and wipe it off). It ensures that you don't have the powder stick anywhere but the stamped image. Then you just stamp and emboss as usual and it's all good (and then wipe it off if you so choose like I said before). Really I find that it made a big difference for me and it's not too expensive and lasts like forever! Problem solved:-) Works good to cut down on unwanted flecks of glitter too!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Two things for embossing, you really need an embossing heat gun. It gets hot without "blowing" everything away. Just have to be careful to not hold too close to the paper or hold on for too long and scorch it.

Also, SU! sells a tool called the "embossing buddy" and it is CLUTCH for embossing. I lived a long time without the little bugger and can't believe the world of difference it makes. You probably got the errant specks because of static. What you do is rub the embossing buddy over your cardstock before you stamp and pour the powder over (it will leave a light white residue but all you have to do is take a swiffer cloth after it's done and cooled and wipe it off). It ensures that you don't have the powder stick anywhere but the stamped image. Then you just stamp and emboss as usual and it's all good (and then wipe it off if you so choose like I said before). Really I find that it made a big difference for me and it's not too expensive and lasts like forever! Problem solved:-) Works good to cut down on unwanted flecks of glitter too!
i take an unused dryer sheet and rub it on the paper before i stamp and emboss... the dryer sheets will keep the static away as well. You can try that if you have dryer sheets already, it might work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #7  

Quote:

Originally Posted by laura6View Post
i take an unused dryer sheet and rub it on the paper before i stamp and emboss... the dryer sheets will keep the static away as well. You can try that if you have dryer sheets already, it might work.
Yes, you can and I tried it for a while. I have to say (and not just because I'm a demo I swear, I thought it was the dumbest thing....until I tried it) it really does work and way better than the dryer sheet. I drank the embossing buddy kool-aid:-) Haha. I just found it not to work near as well as the little buddy.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you've got some great samples in your gallery. I second the thought that here in SCS is the best place to develope skills and get ideas. Try joining in some of the challenges (you can find them on the right side of the home page). They have really helped me improve and stretch and try new things.

As with embossing, I agree that the stamping buddy is a big help in avoiding those stray bits of embossing powder cling. Oils from your hands, static and humidity all make embossing powder cling to cs. I also find that heating my card from the bottom helps my embossed image be more smooth looking. It does take just a bit longer, but it's worth the time for the improvement in the finished look. I also prefer an ink like Versamark over an embossing pad to get a good impression. Good luck and have fun on your journey - that's really what it's all about!

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

You know what I find really helpful is using sketches when I make cards. I find that cards with layers of different papers are what I like, and the sketches give me new ways to layer the paper.
I also like to use paper that comes from "collections" like the Basic Grey, etc. so it always meshes well. Pick a small print, a stripe and either a larger print and solid. This works for scrapbooking as well. Also if you have heard of the rules of nines, like in photography it works on cards and scrapbook pages as well.
You can google to find more information on that, or let me know I will find a link for you. (Sorry in a hurry tonight or I would hunt it)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #10  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Some random thoughts ...

Realize it might take awhile to discover your style so try (it will be hard) to not buy every single craft thing you see and read about. Thinking about the different ways YOU would use it is helpful. Thinking about different ways to get a similar result is also helpful.

Any anti-static bag will be a tremendous help with heat embossing. I usually use a spring-type clothespin to hold the cardstock but I've read of others covering clipboards with aluminum foil.

Try to decide if you prefer to emboss using pigment ink and clear powder or VersaMark and colored powder. You may decide to do both (I do but I only buy powders in basic colors: clear, black, gold, silver and I love the irridescent ice from Stampin'Up! ... I might have red or green at Christmas if the price is good.)

Learn about cardstock - quality makes a difference but even among quality cardstocks some are better suited to different techniques. Brands widely considered to be quality include Gina K. Designs Luxury cardstock (available in 2 weights which is nice for layering and can save on postage), PTI - Papertrey Ink, SU - Stampin'Up!, and Neenah.

It can save time money and aggravation to buy patterned paper that is sold in lines and/or is also available in coordinating cardstock. I know SU does this but I think Basic Grey does too. If buying other paper bring a cardstock sampler with you to see how it goes with the cardstocks you have.

Decide on your preferred coloring medium (chalks, watercolor paints/pencils, markers - water-based or Copic-types). Often your images dictate the medium you end up choosing (at least for me) but if you really love to watercolor (for example) you would select images suited to that format. And you would want watercolor paper!

Little touches don't have to be expensive ... inking edges (as others have said) adds depth, a bottle of Stickles (a quality glitter glue so it's not messy) goes a long way, raid the buttons from your sewing kit and/or buy clear ones and use reinkers to customize them for your cards.

I love the SCS gallery for inspiration but other good sources are catalogs and magazines - I don't find many to consistently appeal to me so I don't have subscriptions but buy 2-3 every few months. I still look at my old magazines because, as my tastes change, each issue offers me something new. This is great when you are waiting and not near a computer (or when SCS is down ... which is not often).

And remember ... everyone starts somewhere and stamping should always be fun.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a link to some basic design ideas. I loved the way Michelle spells it all out with pictures. http://michellewooderson.blogspot.co...tter-card.html

Good luck. I echo the Stampin Up embossing buddy. Makes a huge difference. I get most of my inspiration from blogs. I study the cards I like and try to figure out why they work. good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes