Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain setting eyelets with the hold punch??

I just don't get it. I have tried to set my eyelets with the 1/8" hole punch and it just doesn't work. My eyelet ends up crushed with a cut into the enamel part and the front is all funked up. I have the fiskars 1/8" hand held punch - but didn't buy through SU. Have they redesigned the punch so that the one I haev isn't correct to do this? Mine has a magenta / hot pink rubber handle (or it might be purplish - i have bothe the 1/8" and 1/16" and can't remember which is which). I also tried using my 1/16" but it won't open far enough to get the prong part that actually punches the hole down in the back of the eyelet - so I don't think I am using the wrong one.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:02 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Me Too! I was just thinking this same thing, when I tried it again last night and no luck. I was able to do it at a workshop ONCE this past year (I had adult supervision ;) and had lots of help, but now I just can't get it!) Ugh! I bought my punch from SU! I'd like some pointers too! (Hey, the same thing that you explained about the eyelets happens to mine, too.)

Bumpin' this up to see if someone can help, please!! :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

It may not work anymore, I did a search and look what I found out! This may be the answer and explanation to our problems!

Check out this link:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #4  
mg
Kookie Creator

Default Frustrated too

I too, was frustrated with setting eyelets. Do a search I started a thread and there was a good response. I just bought a Silent Setter, I believe it's creative memories. Works well for aluminum, but stay away from brass. Just get fasteners!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #5  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost always do the small eyelets SU carries this way-it won't work with the bigger ones.

Punch with the 1/8" hole punch where you wish the eyelet to go.

Place your eyelet in the hole and then use your 1/16th" hole punch and put the spiky part (that is used to make the holes) inside the post of the eyelet and squeeze-it will roll down the eyelet post and it will be set.

HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

The reason the eyelets won't set may have nothing to do with you nor the hole punches and everything to do with the materials the eyelet is made from.

If the eyelet is made from a soft metal (i.e. aluminum) the hole punch technique works like a charm. If it is a harder metal (brass / steel / chrome / etc) you will need to use a regular eyelet setter.

I have a wide variety of eyelet setters including my hole punches and each sets the eyelet in a different manner.

The hole punches rely on you being able to role or crimp the metal edges and this is why the metal must be soft. The result is a clean / tight / edge.

The silent setter basically sets the eylets by splitting the back edge of the eyelet into quandrants thus allowing these quandrants to be folded back (like a cross). The dividing into quandrants helps the folding process and can be used on soft and harder metal eyelets.

The NOXON Better Setter (one of the spring loaded jobbies) basically randomly splits the metal and sometimes results in uneven or crooked eyelets.

The old fashion Making Memories hammer and setter basically splays the eyelets - (more like petals on a flower than into quandrants)... giving you a clean and flush finish. This method can be used on all types of eyelets made from even the hardest materials - you have to pound harder.

I have used the Click-it tool but, do not own one so I can't adequately comment on how it handles the metal of the eyelet and what type it works best with.

And that is a "wee" bit on eylets and setters HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 11:43 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

No - this still doesn't work. Someone posted a thread from earlier regarding why. Evidently Fiskars has released their own spring action eyelet setter and have revamped their hold punches as they were aware people were using them to set eyelets. Now, the spike part of the 1/16" is too long to go over the flange of the eyelets in order to set it. (even the small ones from SU). So, if you have recently - I know at least up to a year ago - I don't know how much longer - bought your punches - they probably don't work to set eyelets any more. Too bad. I was really looking forward to being able to do this with my punches. GLad I didn't tell customers this yet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
I almost always do the small eyelets SU carries this way-it won't work with the bigger ones.

Punch with the 1/8" hole punch where you wish the eyelet to go.

Place your eyelet in the hole and then use your 1/16th" hole punch and put the spiky part (that is used to make the holes) inside the post of the eyelet and squeeze-it will roll down the eyelet post and it will be set.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes