Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default watercolor pencil vs gamsol and traditional colored pencils?

Hi there! Wondering if anyone has tried both methods. They seem to look the same to me on the finished product when I look at the gallery. Can anyone talk to the difference, if any, in the resulting product when using either of these? I have traditionally used h2o color pencils, but am curious about the Gamsol/baby oil method too. Should I bother with the latter?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

I personally like Prismacolor pencils better than watercolor pencils. I have a problem using watercolor pencils because I always saturate the paper, with the aquapainter or blender pen, even using watercolor paper. Plus there are 132 colors available in the Prismacolor pencils for more shading options.

I love my Prismacolor pencils!!! I bought mine back in September and I have not put them down since. I have a tutorial on my blog showing how to color using them and baby oil.

http://uselesscrafts.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html

I just taught a class on this at my local scrapbook store last weekend (I have another one in two weeks). Everybody loved it and needed more pencils! If you are interested in purchasing them, I have the links to Dick Blick at the end of the tutorial. They have the best prices around!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. I will be happy to help you get started!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by djuselessView Post
I personally like Prismacolor pencils better than watercolor pencils. I have a problem using watercolor pencils because I always saturate the paper, with the aquapainter or blender pen, even using watercolor paper. Plus there are 132 colors available in the Prismacolor pencils for more shading options.

I love my Prismacolor pencils!!! I bought mine back in September and I have not put them down since. I have a tutorial on my blog showing how to color using them and baby oil.

http://uselesscrafts.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html

I just taught a class on this at my local scrapbook store last weekend (I have another one in two weeks). Everybody loved it and needed more pencils! If you are interested in purchasing them, I have the links to Dick Blick at the end of the tutorial. They have the best prices around!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. I will be happy to help you get started!
Thanks for making this tutorial it is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saucy1View Post
Hi there! Wondering if anyone has tried both methods....
I use both, but my favorite is watercolors. Although I have both Prismacolor pencils and watercolor pencils, I prefer the tubes of artist watercolors.

Quote:

They seem to look the same to me on the finished product when I look at the gallery. Can anyone talk to the difference, if any, in the resulting product when using either of these?
That's because you're looking at photos on a computer screen. The actual colored images, side by side, differ quite a bit. Watercolors also require watercolor paper -- my favorite being hot pressed, artist grade. The difference between watercolor paper and smooth cardstock contributes to the difference in the finished item.

Artist watercolors are also called "transparent watercolors." The ability to apply transparent washes of color, with the white of the paper glowing though, is one of the distinctive traits of this technique. It is not possible to duplicate that look with an opaque coloring method, such as colored pencils.

Quote:

I have traditionally used h2o color pencils, but am curious about the Gamsol/baby oil method too. Should I bother with the latter?
The "look" of pencils is entirely different, and there are times when a denser, heavier layer of color is more appropriate. Just to confuse the issue, you can also combine the two. For example, you can apply the watercolor washes first, then add details and definition with the pencils.

To answer your last question, yes, you should try it if you can manage without too much initial investment. Since you're posting on this topic, I'm betting you won't be satisfied until you make your own comparisons and form your own conclusions.

Have fun with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both, and I personally prefer prismacolor pencils with gamsol over watercolors. I don't like the heavyness of watercolor paper on my projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Thanks so much for the post Crafts! You didn't muddy the water at all! That is all great and specific information. You answered exactly what I wanted to know. djuseless also gave me some great tips. I have concluded that I do need to try both, you are correct on that! LOL! I have Prismacolor pencils, just need a new blender and some baby oil. I never thought about combining the two, I'll be that would be a great effect. I wish the craft/art store wasn't 30 minutes away or I'd go now! I can't wait to try them out side by side!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
... I don't like the heavyness of watercolor paper on my projects.
When I don't want the weight, I use 90 lb hot pressed Arches watercolor paper. It is actually lighter than the cardstock weight I typically use for cardmaking, and it layers well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saucy1View Post
Thanks so much for the post Crafts! You didn't muddy the water at all! That is all great and specific information. You answered exactly what I wanted to know. djuseless also gave me some great tips. I have concluded that I do need to try both, you are correct on that! LOL! I have Prismacolor pencils, just need a new blender and some baby oil. I never thought about combining the two, I'll be that would be a great effect. I wish the craft/art store wasn't 30 minutes away or I'd go now! I can't wait to try them out side by side!
Cool!

I use Gamsol for blending rather than baby oil. I ran into problems with oily residue, probably because I was applying the baby oil too heavily.

About the blending stumps... I don't have time right now to look up the SCS posts, but it matters which type you buy. If I'm remembering correctly, the ones from Taiwan are good. Can someone else confirm that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

According to the Gamsol Magic technique under the resources section of SCS, you are correct. The better blending stumps are made in Taiwan. I bought the ones from Dick Blick and they are made in China and they work fine. Then again, I have not used the others so I do not know if there is a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gina K. released a great tutorial on colored pencil/gamsol today. She will answer lots of your questions on the technique. Go to www.stampTV.com and her tutorial will be right there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I prefer the Prisma colors too but do occasionally use my watercolors. The aqua-painters don't work well for me either so I use blender pens for the watercolors. But I like the Prisma pencils with Gamidol better because the color looks more intese & richer to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for checking on the blending stumps, Diane.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I prefer to use my Scribblers Professional colored pencils and my gamsol with a paper stump. It's just so much easier to use IMO and produces some lovely results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I have both, and I personally prefer prismacolor pencils with gamsol over watercolors. I don't like the heavyness of watercolor paper on my projects.
Yes, that's the way I feel too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
Artist watercolors are also called "transparent watercolors." The ability to apply transparent washes of color, with the white of the paper glowing though, is one of the distinctive traits of this technique. It is not possible to duplicate that look with an opaque coloring method, such as colored pencils.
Actually, colored pencils are not entirely 'opaque'. According to a colored pencil art instruction book I have, it is considered a translucent medium, but can be opaque if applied in a dense layer.
I agree that they look very different IRL to watercolors. Both beautiful in their own way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
Actually, colored pencils are not entirely 'opaque'. According to a colored pencil art instruction book I have, it is considered a translucent medium, but can be opaque if applied in a dense layer. ...
That's interesting, Katarina. Maybe the application determines what it is labeled...? Prismacolor pencils are referred to as opaque by Lee Hammond in two books, Drawing in Color Animals and Big Book of Drawing. A quote from the second book:

Quote:

Prismacolor pencils have a thick, soft, wax-based lead that provides a heavy application of color. They are opaque and will completely cover the paper surface....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been wondering about the baby oil...as I learned to blend years ago with Prisma using the odourless mineral solvent...which is equivalent to your Gamsol here. I read a fair bit lately about the baby oil substitute and was wondering how good it was. It doesn't really matter to me as I will continue with the solvent...it costs around the same anyway!

Thanks Crafts for that little tid bit!

Regards,
Quote:

Cool!

I use Gamsol for blending rather than baby oil. I ran into problems with oily residue, probably because I was applying the baby oil too heavily.

About the blending stumps... I don't have time right now to look up the SCS posts, but it matters which type you buy. If I'm remembering correctly, the ones from Taiwan are good. Can someone else confirm that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I have used both and I prefer the baby oil. I am ultra sensitive to odors and although it said odorless, I got a headache anyways. Also, odorless mineral spirits are flammable. That just scared me so the baby oil was a safe bet for me and I am getting the same results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Gee...mine don't give off anyhting...Maybe it was the brand? Of course, it is what one is comfortable with in the end.

The flammable part is right...but then I have heaps of alcohol inks, various sprays etc etc in my art room, that I am a goner anyway!

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by djuselessView Post
I have used both and I prefer the baby oil. I am ultra sensitive to odors and although it said odorless, I got a headache anyways. Also, odorless mineral spirits are flammable. That just scared me so the baby oil was a safe bet for me and I am getting the same results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
I have been wondering about the baby oil...as I learned to blend years ago with Prisma using the odourless mineral solvent...
I've searched on this topic in the past, and there have been a lot of SCS posts from others, like Diane here, who prefer using the baby oil over Gamsol or other solvents. I don't want to discourage you from trying the baby oil, since as I posted above, I suspect I was applying it too heavily.

Diane had posted in another thread that she used a square of felt in a container, put a few drops of baby oil on that, and then dabbed her blending stump on the felt. That sounds like a better method than what I was doing, which was to dip the tip of the stump directly into the oil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Wink

Quote:

Diane had posted in another thread that she used a square of felt in a container, put a few drops of baby oil on that, and then dabbed her blending stump on the felt. That sounds like a better method than what I was doing, which was to dip the tip of the stump directly into the oil.
Wow, someone is quoting me?! That method works great for me and it does not get oily or saturated at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

A couple of additions here. I use baby oil, primarily because I have an incredibly inquisitive 3 year old who has already managed to get her fingers in my "oil jar". As baby oil is essentially just a scented mineral oil, I don't worry about those little fingers. The thought of her getting her fingers in OMS, which is a solvent, makes my heart go pitty pat in not a good way.

That being said, I use a bit of 100% cotton batting well saturated in baby oil in the bottom of a stage 1 baby food jar. The 3 year old has a 11 month old baby brother, so I've got a stock pile of those right now. I'm very happy with the results I'm getting. Smooth even blending.

You can get too much baby oil on the stump and things will get a bit oily. To be honest, I really only have a problem with this when I'm using a lower grade of cardstock for my images. I moved to Gina K's base weight Pure Luxury and my results increased dramatically with less oil overall.

If you do get too much oil on the stump, and it happens even with the batting, give it a rest for a few seconds so the stump has time to absorb the excess. If you're impatient, or the baby is wailing his cute little head off because you decided to blend one small area before you give him a bottle (don't ask me how I know about that, okay? ), give it a quick scrub on your sand paper and try again.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

So if baby oil is essentially scented mineral oil, than just plain mineral oil should work as well, right? I have that laying around somewhere...anyone try it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
So if baby oil is essentially scented mineral oil, than just plain mineral oil should work as well, right? I have that laying around somewhere...anyone try it?
I was thinking the same thing when I first heard people using babyoil. The main reason I went with baby oil rather than trying mineral oil was I had it on hand. Give it a try and let us know!

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting thread- the tutorials will definitely get me to try blending with my Prismacolor pencils again.

Although I'm betting I'll do better- and therefore like it better, lol- now that I've done more more reading and watching, I still think I'll continue to prefer my watercolor pencils and crayons. I just really enjoy myself working with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
Gee...mine don't give off anyhting...Maybe it was the brand? Of course, it is what one is comfortable with in the end.

The flammable part is right...but then I have heaps of alcohol inks, various sprays etc etc in my art room, that I am a goner anyway!

Cheers,
Actually, mineral spirits always give off fumes, you just don't smell them with the odorless kind. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes