Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best surface for stamping on?

Hello, This is my first post. I'm new to card making and have been a lurker on this site for a few weeks now trying to find my way around. Still have to complete my profile. I ran across a Stamping Pad at Joanne's the other day which made me wonder just what is the best surface to stamp on. I've been placing the paper on a glass top since it is so smooth and firm, but this pad stated that it was best for stamping because it had some "give". Since I'm just getting set-up and buying tools, punches, etc., do I need one of these?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

No, you don't necessarily need a stamping pad. But I have one and love it. Mine is by Darice, is a firm foam pad, and is about 12" X 18". If you're using rubber or wood-mounted stamps, a phone book or magazine works well (something that's firm but has some "give".) With some stamps, especially larger ones, it is more difficult to get a good impression on a really firm surface such as glass. For clear stamps, I have found that a firm surface works better (and you don't need to press as hard as you do with rubber stamps, because the clear stamps have some "give" because of the way they're manufactured.

You will find that different stamps, different inks, different papers - all can give you different results.

Welcome to Splitcoast and to the wonderful world of stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
heylookatme (01-06-2024)
Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a formica topped table. It is very flat and firm. I love it. Cost me $10 at a used furniture store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's a matter of preference. I like to use a large clipboard on top of my desk. Some people even use a phone book underneath for some "give."

I think you should try several types of surfaces using things you already have and see what you find the best. You can always buy this stamping pad later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a piece of fun foam under a sheet of disposal/scratch paper that works for me. Maybe you could try this before you invest in the Darice or other specific padding. My surface is my dining table with the fun foam and disposal/scratch paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I use the Darice one too. I love it! It was only like $5 too. I put a piece of plain computer paper on top of my foam pad to protect it from glue, ink, etc. When that scrap paper gets too gunky, I throw it out and put down a fresh piece. I wouldn't stamp without my foam stamp pad. Best little investment ever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought an inexpensive piece of foam at Joann's for that purpose - is it the burgundy one? It's maybe 3/8 in. thick or so? Some stamps - background, really detailed, or the long ones, and I think personally solid/silhouette style - do better with padding.

I've heard of people using fun foam, a magazine, or a mouse pad, and this past weekend I was away from home and used a stamp catalog.

For most stamping, I simply use my grid paper from A Muse so I can test stamp first or stamp off, and I usually keep a Ranger craft sheet under that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

The best advice I ever got from this board was about stamping large stamps. Put a book on the floor, then your paper and inked stamp and step on it. It works for me every time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an Xacto mat and a self-healing mat for quilting. I use both for stamping and they work fine. Not sure if either are cheaper than the "stamping" mat you saw. But, I only started using one in the last year or so. You don't NEED one, but I definitely noticed a difference using one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a Good hard, smooth surface to stamp on. This past weekend. I was at a retreat. Where we had good tables,. But not GREAT tables.

Trying to get a good stamped image was hard to do.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know for the CTMH stamps, some of them won't give me a clean impression on a flat surface. So I do use the piece of padding they include in the envelope under my paper for a better impression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I always stamp on a good solid table. No padding necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks ladies for your expertise. It's been VERY helpful. Today I finally had the time to try out my stamps on different papers and surfaces. I remembered yesterday in Michael's that uncbballfan said she had a Darice stamping pad which is the brand I saw at Joanne's and prompted my question. Well, in Michael's I asked for the Darice pad and the stock lady walked me to the aisle where they had all the foam craft supplies for kids. Low and behold they had 1/4 inch Darice pads of several sizes in a myriad of colors. I bought one for .99. Today it did just great for my wood stamps. They looked better and clearer. The little "give" really helped. I found, as several of you suggested, that my acrylics all ready had a little give and I practiced with them on a glass surface. I'm new to all this and I'm learning, but it sure makes the process shorter when I have the opportunity to ask for advice, suggestions and opinions from all you experienced ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by xayide2View Post
I know for the CTMH stamps, some of them won't give me a clean impression on a flat surface. So I do use the piece of padding they include in the envelope under my paper for a better impression.
Me too. I use a self healing mat and the CTMH foam.

New stamper- don't make it complicated. Try hard v softer surface with things you have at home- clipboard or stack of magazines, etc. before you buy... the more you read around here the more you'll find you don't have to have every everything (though oh the temptation to buy :rolleyes in order to stamp and stamp well. Read the thread of regret purchases... most of all, welcome to stamping and HAVE FUN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathlyn47View Post
Thanks ladies for your expertise. It's been VERY helpful. Today I finally had the time to try out my stamps on different papers and surfaces. I remembered yesterday in Michael's that uncbballfan said she had a Darice stamping pad which is the brand I saw at Joanne's and prompted my question. Well, in Michael's I asked for the Darice pad and the stock lady walked me to the aisle where they had all the foam craft supplies for kids. Low and behold they had 1/4 inch Darice pads of several sizes in a myriad of colors. I bought one for .99. Today it did just great for my wood stamps. They looked better and clearer. The little "give" really helped. I found, as several of you suggested, that my acrylics all ready had a little give and I practiced with them on a glass surface. I'm new to all this and I'm learning, but it sure makes the process shorter when I have the opportunity to ask for advice, suggestions and opinions from all you experienced ladies.
I use the exact same pad you bought. A little tip all stamps stamp differently. Some stamps like a little push. Other stamps like a firm surface. I always make a test image on both surfaces before my final stamping.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
CardGalSal (11-19-2021)