Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-21-2024, 02:13 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best manual dye cut machine

I bought a cricut thinking that I could use stamp set dyes with it. That was a fail. What is the best manual dye cut machine?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
DancesWithHooves (03-26-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 06:58 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Had my first Big Shot for 15 years. Fixed it a few times, but finally got rid of it in 2022.
I bought the Tim Holtz Big Shot Foldaway (black) from Amazon; and I LOVE IT!
I have had zero issues with it. I don't even have to shim, just use the plates.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by stampindoe:
jeanne3579 (03-27-2024), sharonbenoit (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 08:41 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindoeView Post
Had my first Big Shot for 15 years. Fixed it a few times, but finally got rid of it in 2022.
I bought the Tim Holtz Big Shot Foldaway (black) from Amazon; and I LOVE IT!
I have had zero issues with it. I don't even have to shim, just use the plates.
As to why you don't have to shim anymore, I just learned this about the Big Shot Foldaway:
--------------
​​​​​​
As Sizzix develops new machines we look to enhance the pressure to accommodate the performance required for more intricate designs. As a result, the Big Shot Foldaway has adequate pressure without the need for the Precision Base Plate, so we don't recommend its use with the Big Shot Foldaway. Use of the Precision Base Plate in the Big Shot Plus and Big Shot Foldaway will result in reduced cutting pad and die life. Do NOT use the Precision Base Plate in any machine with steel-rule dies as damage may occur.

SOURCE: https://www.sizzix.com/help-center/w...x-plus-machine

Last edited by PizzaParty; 03-27-2024 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: formatting
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by PizzaParty:
Auntie_mky (05-03-2024), bobbijl (03-24-2024), cjzim (04-01-2024), janesprando (03-27-2024), whim6915 (03-21-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 07:11 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 121 Likes on 57 Posts

I have heard awesome praise for the Spellbinders machines. Almost got one, myself.
I ended up with a Bira 9" machine (no shims needed; it requires only 2 plates because the rollers are adjustable using 2 dials). Bira also has a 6" machine available.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
Jannarama (04-15-2024), Kristy Tyra (03-27-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 05:11 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneDevotedDameView Post
I have heard awesome praise for the Spellbinders machines. Almost got one, myself.
I ended up with a Bira 9" machine (no shims needed; it requires only 2 plates because the rollers are adjustable using 2 dials). Bira also has a 6" machine available.
I am curious about this machine - how do you know how 'tight' to adjust the rollers? I have the Spellbinders Platinum 6 and even though the platform shows the sandwich, I sometimes still have to adjust with shims for different dies. I loved my Gemini JR (in purple no less) that I bought on the HSN launch many, many years ago, but it quit on me last year. I just wore it out.. LOL
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2024, 07:14 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
I am curious about this machine - how do you know how 'tight' to adjust the rollers?
The machine has 2 dials, the upper dial is the main one. It has 3 settings: Die Cut, 2D Emboss, and 3D Emboss. The bottom dial is the finer adjustment one, that substitutes shims. It has 10 main settings, that range from -5 (tighten) to 0 (standard) to +5 (loosen). It is super easy.

For most of my dies, I don't even have to think about it -- it's Dial 1 on Die Cut and Dial 2 on 0. Cuts card from 65# to 110# in one pass. For my intricate Spellbinders butterfly dies, I set the upper dial on 1 for Die Cut, then the bottom dial on tighten -1.5. It took a little experimenting, but honestly not that much.

I *did* have the hardest time figuring out the settings for Altenew's 3D embossing folders, though, just because I'm a total novice in this hobby (and was afraid of breaking something), but the ladies here at SCS helped me out with it. Once the setting is figured out, I jot it down on the experiment/sample, and put it with the embossing folder. It's really nice only managing 2 plates. Bira includes a third plate for Steel Rule dies (which I was tempted to use as a shim), but I don't have any big dies like that yet.

The Bira is identical to Gina K's Intri-Cut (but Miss Gina's is much prettier, lol). Jennifer McGuire has a nice video on it.

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 03-28-2024 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Video link didn't work; I'm probably too new to post videos. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (03-28-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 06:36 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you OneDevotedDame for the reply. I printed it out, in case I do decide on getting the machine ! It is more appealing now that you have experienced it and explained the details to me.

Happy Crafting
Mac
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (03-24-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 04:14 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the regular Big Shot. I decided to get rid of my Cuttlebug. I wish I kept it. I used it for embossing. The Big Shot is okay. I just hate having to figure out shims. Sometimes, my shims will buckle. I tried everything to use different shims for cuts, embossing, but nothing has worked. I would love to get the Tim Holz but money is too tight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2024, 07:08 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sandwich struggle got too real for me and my Big Shot. In a fit of frustration after wasting untold pieces of cardstock when part of a die JUST. WOULD. NOT. CUT., no matter how many sandwich variations I tried, I ordered Spellbinders' Platinum 6. It just arrived yesterday, so I won't get to try it until the weekend but I am cautiously optimistic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2024, 07:52 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

I have the Big Shot Foldaway. I got it to replace my Cuttlebug, because it was foldaway, too, but I wanted a wider mouth that my Cuttlebug didn't have. I had a whole list of "sandwiches" for my Cuttlebug using all the different company's products. Nothing but Spellbinders products sandwiches came with my new machine and I could find no one who had one and could help me out. So I did a lot of experimenting, starting with my Cuttlebug list. Now I pretty much have it memorized, but have a few highly 3D embossing folders that I have to check on what to use. I really like the Big Shot Foldaway. I'm so surprised I don't see more people using it, it is more like a Cuttlebug, which I totally loved and now my daughter is loving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2024, 10:39 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringpatchladyView Post
The sandwich struggle got too real for me and my Big Shot. In a fit of frustration after wasting untold pieces of cardstock when part of a die JUST. WOULD. NOT. CUT., no matter how many sandwich variations I tried, I ordered Spellbinders' Platinum 6. It just arrived yesterday, so I won't get to try it until the weekend but I am cautiously optimistic.

I've had the Spellbinders Platinum 6 for nearly a year now. It is a great little machine... I had to replace my Gemini Jr after it quite (it was about 6 years old). I gave away my Cuttlebug because I broke 2 plates trying to get it to work properly - that was when I purchased the Gemini Jr. I didn't have the $$ to replace it, so I went with the Spellbinders. Other than having to crank it, it's perfect. I do flip the plates quite often, and actually one started to warp just recently.. I think you'll have great luck with it and will be so glad you purchased it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Springpatchlady (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 11:37 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks! The bundle I purchased came with Scrapbook (dot) com Magic Mats (which I had been using in my Big Shot) so hopefully the warping will be at a minimum. I'm already pretty amazed at how much less of a footprint it takes up on my shelf.

If I hadn't been in a state of pique, I probably would have taken more time and weighed my options better but I just wanted a replacement quickly! LOL I'm glad it is working well for you. I can't wait to try it out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
I've had the Spellbinders Platinum 6 for nearly a year now. It is a great little machine... I had to replace my Gemini Jr after it quite (it was about 6 years old). I gave away my Cuttlebug because I broke 2 plates trying to get it to work properly - that was when I purchased the Gemini Jr. I didn't have the $$ to replace it, so I went with the Spellbinders. Other than having to crank it, it's perfect. I do flip the plates quite often, and actually one started to warp just recently.. I think you'll have great luck with it and will be so glad you purchased it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2024, 11:39 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

I honestly wasn't aware of the BS Foldaway. I probably would have gone with that if I had been. But I just got the Platinum Six, which is similar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I have the Big Shot Foldaway. I got it to replace my Cuttlebug, because it was foldaway, too, but I wanted a wider mouth that my Cuttlebug didn't have. I had a whole list of "sandwiches" for my Cuttlebug using all the different company's products. Nothing but Spellbinders products sandwiches came with my new machine and I could find no one who had one and could help me out. So I did a lot of experimenting, starting with my Cuttlebug list. Now I pretty much have it memorized, but have a few highly 3D embossing folders that I have to check on what to use. I really like the Big Shot Foldaway. I'm so surprised I don't see more people using it, it is more like a Cuttlebug, which I totally loved and now my daughter is loving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2024, 02:02 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had my Big Shot for many years, but it was starting to loosen up to the point where I was thinking of purchasing a new one. I had decided to look into a Foldaway Big Shot because I have just loved my original. Then I saw the Gina K model. I'd never seen an adjustable machine. The a few weeks there was a discussion about different machines and a company named Bira was mentioned. I looked it up and it just happened to be on sale with free shipping. So I took the plunge. I've only had it a couple of weeks, but so far I like it. I really think the adjustable factor is going to be great! I did notice that their instructions for using the steel rule dies are off or missing some information. There is an adaptor that says to use if with a steel rule die, but the instructions never show it in use. I was able to use the die, but it was awkward. So, I think I have it figured out for when I try it next time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2024, 05:40 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
I'd never seen an adjustable machine. The a few weeks there was a discussion about different machines and a company named Bira was mentioned. I looked it up and it just happened to be on sale with free shipping. So I took the plunge. I've only had it a couple of weeks, but so far I like it. I really think the adjustable factor is going to be great!
The Bira is my first die cutting machine, and I think I'm spoiled, lol. I really like the adjustable rollers.

The only downside (if it's actually a downside; I don't really know because I don't know any different) is that none of the plates are clear, so I can't really see what's being cut. I was gonna get a Tonic Tangerine originally, and their plates aren't clear, either, so I guess it wasn't a very high priority for me, anyway. It would be cool, though, in a way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
I did notice that their instructions for using the steel rule dies are off or missing some information. There is an adaptor that says to use if with a steel rule die, but the instructions never show it in use. I was able to use the die, but it was awkward. So, I think I have it figured out for when I try it next time.
I don't have any steel rule dies yet, but I was looking at that section of the instruction manual the other day, really closely. Like you, I noticed there wasn't anything mentioned about the Steel Rule Adapter Plate. I figure they just forgot to place it on top of the die in the diagram. *shrug*

Is that how you used the die? Or did you skip the adapter plate?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2024, 04:50 AM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 832 Likes on 338 Posts

I have three machines, Spellbinders, Big Shot and the Stamp Cut & Emboss from SU. I like the SU machine the best, no more sandwich struggles.
Reply With Quote Likes