Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #121  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely my Cuttlebug with a close second to my Copics.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #122  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by FionaBView Post
Yet another vote for the Cuttlebug with embossing folders and nesties!

I love the sound of the perfect layers tool - I can't cut straight to save my life and although I have a brilliant template called My MateMate which has improved things, my layering still isn't flawless. I'll have to check out the PLT and see if it's available over here in the UK.

I haven't heard of the ATG but reading through many posts I infer it's a sticky tape gun? Something else I like the sound of ; there are similar (possibly the same) things here but I've heard that both the dispenser and the tapes are very expensive, so I make do with ordinary rolls of DST.
Fiona, the ATG gun is an adhesive applicator, originally made for picture framers. The stamping/scraping world got wind (I saw Tim Holtz use one in a video) and it has taken off. The applicator is very expensive but the refills are not. 30 YARDS for about $5 or so depending on where you get them. I buy a Swiss version of the tape off Ebay for about $2.50 a roll for acid free, works exactly the same. I googled the gun for you (there are 2 sizes, a 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch, lots of people only like 1/4 inch I got my gun from a place closing them out for $25 before the 1/4 inch came out and I don't mind it.) I found this for UK:
http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-832-scot...cator-gun.aspx
I think that's not a bad price at all, we pay $35-$50+ for them here. Scapa is the name of the Swiss 3M company. If you get one, you will save tons on adhesive and love it too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #123  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I've been reading this thread and I thought I should post my best investments.

The best purchases that I've ever made are: my scor-pal, cuttlebug, and my ATG gun! I love these items and I use them almost every day! Money well spent!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #124  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

okay- my every day go to items are already mentioned- ATG, Copics, big shot

But- the best investment I EVER made was in buying an OTT light. I can't believe how much better my crafting is not that I can truly see what I am doing in a good natural light- it helps me catch areas not coloured and helps me blend. I am lost without it whatever kind of craft I am doing. My craft area is in our finished basement and it has really helped improve my skills.

also my ruler...I am thinking of trading in my good ole standby ruler for a tim holtz one though..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #125  
Matboard Maniac

Betty, thank you so much for the information, I reckon you can't all be wrong so have ordered a gun and 3 rolls of tape! That looks a terrific price and with free shipping for a limited time it would have been silly not to, especially as I found a retail site which had the gun for �24+ so the �9+ looked even more attractive
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #126  
Compulsive Stamper

Wink

Well, I didn't buy it for cardmaking, but really my computer has everything else beat hands down. If it weren't for that, how would I find all these great ideas to steal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #127  
Stampin' Fool

Touch�....hee hee hee. What are we all doing here?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #128  
Matboard Maniac

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by FionaBView Post
Betty, thank you so much for the information, I reckon you can't all be wrong so have ordered a gun and 3 rolls of tape! That looks a terrific price and with free shipping for a limited time it would have been silly not to, especially as I found a retail site which had the gun for �24+ so the �9+ looked even more attractive
I'm glad I can be of help spending your money! I have been called an enabler. I think you will love it like the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #129  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmurdockView Post
okay- my every day go to items are already mentioned- ATG, Copics, big shot

But- the best investment I EVER made was in buying an OTT light. I can't believe how much better my crafting is not that I can truly see what I am doing in a good natural light- it helps me catch areas not coloured and helps me blend. I am lost without it whatever kind of craft I am doing. My craft area is in our finished basement and it has really helped improve my skills.

also my ruler...I am thinking of trading in my good ole standby ruler for a tim holtz one though..
I love both my Ott light and my ATG - I can't imagine crafting without either one of them now!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #130  
Rubber Obsessor

Just adding to my list earlier. I've spent alot of money on my Copics, but always tried to find a cheap storage solutions (and never seemed to find the right one). Then I finally shelled out the money and bought the Copic storage display case from Oozak.com and just within the first day, I'm already in love!! Money so well spent!! I posted the pics on the SCS gallery and here on my blog too: http://paperinkcolor.blogspot.com/20...rage-rack
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #131  
Compulsive Stamper

I would say mine is the SU markers. I bought the complete set when I was a hostess, and I love the case they came in, plus I use them all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #132  
Polyshrink Goddess

Mine would be my paper trimmer...it is one of the first tools that I purchased and I use it all the time. Next would be my ATG Gun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #133  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I agree with all the OTT-Lite comments. That is one of my best purchases too. Can't live without my lights.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #134  
Rubber Obsessor

Great minds think alike!!!

My must haves - best investments:

ATG Gun - hands down.
Score Pal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #135  
Rubber Obsessor

Perfect Layers, good paper cutter, Cuttlebug, SU Inks and paper.

However, from reading this post, it looks like I seriously need to look into an ATG Gun. What is a good resource for purchasing one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #136  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides MANY of the items listed already...

SU Curly Label punch and stamp set. Love it, us it constantly. Very versatile and timeless.

PTI Mixed Messages and the PTI basic sentiment set - forgot the name.

One of those Hero Arts plasic barrels with tons of mini-stamps - it's an older set that is all basic greetings. The font is kind of dated now, but I always find a way to jazz them up. There is a phrase for every ocassion in there.

ALL of my adhesives - because I always have just the right one for the job! This includes Xyron in 3 sizes. Nothing beats them when you need complete coverage or have lots of die cut letters to stick down.

CHALKS!! They may be yesterday's news, but I can always count on them when I need to color on the fly or just need a touch of color somewhere. Add a schmear of Stickles on top, a dab of Glossy accent or let it go naked!! You can't go wrong. I'm still on the same case I bought over 10 yrs ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #137  
Matboard Maniac

I have the cheapest Fiskars trimmer you can get and it cuts all wobbly, so I started using my quilting rulers on a quilting cutting mat, but found it time consuming to line up and they would slip mid-cut. After hearing about the Scor-Pal and it's cutting mat, I knew I'd found the answer. I like the scoring capabilities, but mostly I use it with my quilting rulers and it's mat for quick and easy cuts. For some, that would be considered "the hard way", but as a quilter, it works for me. I like knowing my paper is being cut square and I can slap down the right combination of rulers for the dimension I need in less than a second. I cut, score, and assemble my projects all on my Scor-Pal, so it is my best investment.

I would also like to give credit to my CTMH demo. She gets a hefty chunk of my paycheck on a regular basis, but she keeps me inspired and introduced me to the wonderful world of cardmaking. Now, she's teaching me to scrapbook. I treasure every class I take with her; they're the highlights of my month.

I recently purchased a BS and some embossing folders that will probably be near the top of my list when I have more time to use them.

Proper storage, as some have mentioned, is key for me. I probably tweak my storage more than I create, but I'm still fairly new to all this.

Worst investment is stuff I bought on e-bay after my first card class. I have brads and eyelets galore (all shapes and sizes) that I will probably never use but sounded great at the time. I also bought a personal size Cricut and 14 cartridges and I've only taken it out of the box twice in 1 1/2 years. I've used my BS way more in less than six months and I have fewer accessories for it. Maybe someday I will spend the time to be comfortable with it and I may change my mind, but I'd rather just have more stuff for my BS which was comfortable right out of the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #138  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossbooView Post
Just adding to my list earlier. I've spent alot of money on my Copics, but always tried to find a cheap storage solutions (and never seemed to find the right one). Then I finally shelled out the money and bought the Copic storage display case from Oozak.com and just within the first day, I'm already in love!! Money so well spent!! I posted the pics on the SCS gallery and here on my blog too: http://paperinkcolor.blogspot.com/20...rage-rack.html
I have one too and I tell you it is PERFECT for the copics. I have some pics up on my blog of my craft room as it goes thru it's transition and you can see it in the background on my desk tee hee.

www.mystampingheaven.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #139  
Polyshrink Goddess

Verilux 4 bulb florescent light and the Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #140  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
Fiona, the ATG gun is an adhesive applicator, originally made for picture framers. The stamping/scraping world got wind (I saw Tim Holtz use one in a video) and it has taken off. The applicator is very expensive but the refills are not. 30 YARDS for about $5 or so depending on where you get them. I buy a Swiss version of the tape off Ebay for about $2.50 a roll for acid free, works exactly the same. I googled the gun for you (there are 2 sizes, a 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch, lots of people only like 1/4 inch I got my gun from a place closing them out for $25 before the 1/4 inch came out and I don't mind it.) I found this for UK:
http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-832-scot...cator-gun.aspx
I think that's not a bad price at all, we pay $35-$50+ for them here. Scapa is the name of the Swiss 3M company. If you get one, you will save tons on adhesive and love it too.
Huge thanks Betty for providing the link in your post! An ATG 700 for under �10 and free postage - what a bargain and definitely a great investment! I've been happily adhering cards with my new toy, erm I mean tool, all afternoon! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #141  
Matboard Maniac

I'd have to say my best paper crafting investments have been my 12" Tonic guillotine cutter and my Honey Bee scissors (just like the Cutter Bee scissors, but you can cut sticky things and not get them gummed up).

My best stamping specific investment has been my stamp-a-ma-jig. I love that little guy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #142  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

My SU! markers box. I've used it so much! To ink my stamps back when I didn't have all of the ink pads yet. To omit part of images. To color stamps in various colours. To journal on my pages. To doodle. To correct images that weren't stamped evenly. To add detailing. To handwrite in my cards or on the envelopes.

I seriously love my markers and I have never regretted splurging on them. I still use them pretty much every time I sit down to craft. And I am happy I got the whole box instead of color families because the box is awesome storage!

Visit my gallery! ... or my blog (Yes, I caved!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #143  
Glitter Queen

I guess my first investment would have to be my laptop. I have learned so much from SCS and blogs. I feel like I have taken leaps and bounds in my learning after joining. The second would be my Cricut or Cuttlebug. I use them so much together they seem like an extention of each other. Just a shape seems plain without a little embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #144  
Pearl-ExPert

After all this talk about ATG guns, I might have to look into one!!! I guess if so many of you put them as your best investment, they must be worthwhile!!! Would you reccomend one??

btw - thanks everyone for sharing your best investments!!! They've been fun to read
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #145  
Mad Swapper

Yes! I would definitely recommend an ATG gun! You just can't beat $1.50-1.65 per 36 yards of adhesive! It looks cumbersome, but within about 10 minutes of using it, you will be a pro. It's much more comfortable and easy to use and hold than it looks, and not nearly as heavy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #146  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Best investment = DH

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
Though I didn't exactly buy him...my DH is my best craft investment because he doesn't ever groan at what or how much I purchase for my crafting. He helps me by building storage devices and cabinets and so forth for all my "needs".....I couldn't do all I do without his support. He also always likes what I make.
How sweet and how true for me too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #147  
Matboard Maniac

I've got a 50% off coupon for Michael's for tomorrow and Monday. I now just have to narrow down the "wish list" I've gotten from reading this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #148  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
Yes! I would definitely recommend an ATG gun! You just can't beat $1.50-1.65 per 36 yards of adhesive! It looks cumbersome, but within about 10 minutes of using it, you will be a pro. It's much more comfortable and easy to use and hold than it looks, and not nearly as heavy.
Exactly what she said. I love my ATG and if it broke, I would buy another one tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #149  
Die Cut Diva

meee threee!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
Exactly what she said. I love my ATG and if it broke, I would buy another one tomorrow!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #150  
Glitter Queen

I came across the Cuttlebug two years ago in Florida, had not seen it before in Switzerland. I did bring it along back home and just love it as I can create many beautiful cards with it. Just made 80 birth announcement cards for my daughter, they look just professional.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #151  
Matboard Maniac

I would have to say my Cuttlebug first with all the embossing folders, then Nesties. The ones I use in the CB. Then my score-pal. Then... I just love it all.

Smile. no one knows what you're really thinking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #152  
Mad Swapper

I'd have to say my best investments have been my Cricut Expression, my DreamKutz machine for when I do swaps or am making a multitude of cards and my scorepal.
Reply With Quote Likes