Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I try to buy stamps, papers, inks, and other supplies online. I wait until my buying list meets the minimum free shipping requirement, no matter how long that takes. I get free shipping, and if it's out of state, I avoid tax. I know which vendors have free shipping, and I stick with them.

I stopped being in a club where I had to buy a minimum dollar amount ($30 I think it was) of stuff for a number of months, and then for one month I get the hostess benefits. Works well for others, but not me. Everyone's buying and saving styles differ. Know what would help and inspire you to save or not overspend. If one habitually spends waaay more than $30, then such a club might help instead of hinder.

I also buy things (like envelopes) in bulk. This only saves money IF I actually use the stuff and if the bulk purchase helps to meet a free shipping requirement.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
One easy way to keep a frugal lifestyle is to right down every purchase and keep tabs on the where the spending is going every month. Every gas fill up. Every Starbucks latte. Every order from a company. Right it all down. When you see where your money is going, you can make changes in your spending patterns.

I try to put a lot of frugal tips on my blog, but here are a few more:

* Stop magazine subscriptions and impulse buys at the checkout. Use your local library instead!

* Get your inspiration from the internet rather than trips to the store...it's a lot cheaper!

* Do not succumb to the temptation of the craft store coupon. When you enter the store, you will be lured into buying things you don't need!

* Ribbon shares and paper shares are a great way to get a sampling of a product without needing to have a huge quantity.

I agree. Use the local library. They ALSO have DVDs available for borrowing!! Cheaper than the $1 rentals and Netflix!

-----

In regards to other non-craft-related things I've done to pare down expenses in my own life, I made a deliberate decision to have no kids, no pets, no plants. I have an old but reliable Toyota, and just bought an old, cheap house, keeping an eye on what was paid in property taxes the previous year. All of this significantly lowers the major bills in my life: home loan and insurance. The things I don't hesitate to spend money on are preventive maintenance (home, car, health, dental), because that will save money in the future. If I was the gardening type, I'd have a garden to save money on veggies too.

One other major factor in saving money is good health. If you are fortunate enough to have good health, guard it closely (exercise, quit smoking, etc.) because medical bills and prescriptions could wipe out tons of savings.

Another thing is to find business people you trust and stick with them. Good mechanics, good electricians, plumbers, general contractors, etc. will charge a fair price and not take advantage or upsell.

You can also read things online. I subscribe to Everyday Cheapskate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 01:35 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I agree. Use the local library. They ALSO have DVDs available for borrowing!! Cheaper than the $1 rentals and Netflix!

-----

In regards to other non-craft-related things I've done to pare down expenses in my own life, I made a deliberate decision to have no kids, no pets, no plants. I have an old but reliable Toyota, and just bought an old, cheap house, keeping an eye on what was paid in property taxes the previous year. All of this significantly lowers the major bills in my life: home loan and insurance. The things I don't hesitate to spend money on are preventive maintenance (home, car, health, dental), because that will save money in the future. If I was the gardening type, I'd have a garden to save money on veggies too.

One other major factor in saving money is good health. If you are fortunate enough to have good health, guard it closely (exercise, quit smoking, etc.) because medical bills and prescriptions could wipe out tons of savings.

Another thing is to find business people you trust and stick with them. Good mechanics, good electricians, plumbers, general contractors, etc. will charge a fair price and not take advantage or upsell.

You can also read things online. I subscribe to Everyday Cheapskate.
Not being nosy. Just interested. You said no kids/pets/plants. Are you married or have a boyfriend? Just wondering. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 02:19 AM   #44  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 832 Likes on 338 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippysueView Post
Have an image swapping party...get together with other stampy friends and stamp each others images for later use. This is a good way to get more/fresh images without spending $$$.
That would be so much fun! What a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes