Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2005, 04:12 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Becoming a SU Demo ????? Need Advice

I have been debating about joining the SU Demo team. I am very addicted and need to become a member to support my shopping habit.

For those of you who are already demos or are choosing to join did you get the 6 sets that stampin up recommends (heartfelt thanks, Greetings Galore, Loads of Love, Shape-ups, quick thinking, and much appreciated) or did you change any of the sets to something else?

I'm definately changing the ink pads because I already have all the colors they are giving in the starter kit. Need the new colors.

As for the first demo class (workshop). I was thinking of having like an open house. Has anyone ever done this? What type demos would you choose to teach them at an open house. How many projects would you do? Any advice on preparing the first workshop open house would be greatly appreciated as it is starting to become very overwhelming.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 04:30 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

I've been a demo for 15 months and I'm SO glad I made that decision! Yes, I changed the stamp sets in my Starter Kit, depending on what I already had at the time. I do think Loads of Love and Heartfelt Thanks are must-haves, though. I did have an Open House and I'm trying to think back to what we did... Actually, I had a few gals who came right when it started and didn't leave til it was done! They were ALL new stampers and couldn't wait to learn. I think we did a Terrific Tulips 2-step card, and something with Watercolor Garden. I had them do 2 easy cards, but I demo'd a bunch of other techniques.

After that, I started having Stamp Camps once a month, which I'm still doing, and most of those Open House attenders are some of my best customers! I would definitely invite some people who have never stamped before!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 04:46 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Canadian prairie girl, lost in all the wind and snow!

I just became a demo 2 weeks afo. Should get my kit tomorrow. I changed all but 2. I kept Quick Thinking and Greetings Galore. I also changed all the stamp pads and the cardstock.

I am planning on having a workshop for friends and family as my first one. And then I am starting up a 10-4-10 club in January and I have almost all the people I need already. That is a good idea to have an open house though. Maybe I will look into that.

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by prairie mom; 11-07-2005 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 05:03 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are becoming a demo solely to get the discount, then just pick what you love. It sounds, however, like you are joining to also sell and try to make a profit. If so, if you haven't already done so, give more thought to carefully selecting your upline than the starter kit contents! She is someone who should be giving you advice on the questions you are raising (although getting it here also is fun too!).

I can't emphasize enough the importance of a good upline if you are seeking to grow a business. A lot of women sign up thinking that it is easy to find customers and some people luck out and do quite well. However, most of the folks who make a real go for it treat SU as a real business, and are willing to invest a little $$ to make $$. To increase your chances of success, you really need an upline who has been successful ($$) as a demo AND is willing to spend some time with you helping you grow your business. By the way, although I'm a demo, this isn't a solicitation. Find someone you know!

Now, to your actual question, SU selected the sets in the starter kit because they believe that they are the easiest to demo and market. SU is a successful business and probably knows more about marketing that you or me!! If you are trying to make money, I would take their advice, provided you actually like the sets. I didn't get Loads of Love because I don't like it (definitely in the minority here), but I also think that passion for the product is what sells the product.

Good luck and remember if you get your paperwork into SU by Nov 30 you get an extra free set. Great deal!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 06:15 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I already have an upline picked out. She is great and I have learned a lot from her stamp camps. I mainly want to sell to support my habit not really to make money at this time but if I make money then that is a plus. However, my husband, wants me to make a profit, of course. Yes I'd like to do a monthly stamp camp. First I need to find customers. I was thinking an open house with the neighbors first as we are always having different type parties in our area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 06:40 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=Joan B] I didn't get Loads of Love because I don't like it (definitely in the minority here),QUOTE]
I didn't get this one either, you have a friend in the minority group!

The best substitution I made was Natural Beauty for Loads of Love. This set makes such wonderful cards, and has become my FAVORITE set that I own. It is versatile and a really good substitution for Loads of Love if it just is not your style.

I was already a SU! stamper before I became a demo, so I had some sets that I think are important for demos (Itty Bitty Backgrounds, Fresh Flowers, Canvas) I already had Greetings Galore too (GREAT for demonstrations), So I subsitituted the It's Your Birthday set.

I kept Much Appreciated, Heartfelt Thanks (GREAT for demonstrations, customers LOVE this set), Shape Up, but I got Petite Patterns instead of Quick Thinking. I just did not like the words with this set, and since I substituted a word set (Birthday) for an image set already, I figured I should get some non-word stamps as well. Hope this helps you decide what to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

bump
Reply With Quote Likes