Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another printer ?

Ok Ladies-- I am going to be purchasing a new computer and printer in the next couple of months and really need some advice.

I already know the computer I will purchase (Dell) but the printer is another story.

I have read other threads and it seems that the general consensus is a HP but I have to tell you I have an HP Deskjet 648 and I hate it! It has given me nothing but problems! It doesn't load paper (reg. printer paper) not to mention card stock--it jams ALL the time ... I could go on but you get the drift.

Anyway, I am definately a technological dinosaur and I want a printer that will do it all. Print, copy, scan and that will accept cardstock without a problem.

So, knowing all of that, what do you reccomend? Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Lori
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

I just bought the Lexmark P6250 all-in-one printer/copier/scanner/fax. It is FABULOUS!! I love it! So easy to use - the sanned images are amazing! The photo prining is great - it will print borderless if you want. It has a special area for memory cards/smart cards and a port to print directly from your digital camera without the need for the computer. I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX500.

It prints, copies, and scans. However, it only fits 8 1/2 X 11.

I have not had any problems with it. I used it quite a bit making my wedding invitations. That was on white card stock, though. I have not used it on any other colors, but I don't think it would be a problem.

It can also scan negatives and display as a picture on your monitor. I thought that was pretty cool, but I've never used it.

It also has the picture card slots so you can print your pictures directly from the printer if you have a digital camera.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Location: This must be heaven...there are stamps & scrapbooks EVERYWHERE!!!

I purchased a new printer last month. I had been using the HP 5550 Desk Jet and it was nice. I was pleasantly surprised when I researched a new printer last month on HP's website and found this one....HP 5505 Office Jet ALL IN ONE...for ONLY $149.00. It is a printer, copier, scanner and fax machine. It was soooooo easy to install. I just bought a double phone jack and ran an extra cord to the printer...so now I can fax (incoming AND outgoing)...at no extra cost to me. I installed a USB cable instead of a parallel port....lightening fast communication between the computer and printer this way. I use the scanner for all of my cards I upload to my gallery....super easy. The copier saves me from having to take stuff to work with me when I need a copy of something. The printer is super fast too. I am THRILLED with the product and even more thrilled with the price.

Check it out here: http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...me=product.cgi

IT'S ON SALE NOW FOR ONLY $119.99 WITH FREE SHIPPING !!!! :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default printer

I know you have an HP and hate it, but reconsider - may be you just got a lemon! We have had HP printers with the last 3 computers and they have been completely trouble free....if I hadn't ruined the last one with re-fill cartridges (they blew fine dust everywhere inside it and finally leaked and caused a major malfunction -- not the printer's fault, mine for stupidly buying junk cartridges!), it would still be punching out great copies on all weights of paper....it was an Office Jet series and it rocked! The replacement HP printer isn't as exotic as the one I ruined but the only thing I can fault it for is that it is noisier than the old Office Jet, which was totally silent. Still no paper jams and I run lots of odd ball CS through it.

Another reason to buy the HP printer is that the cartridges (NEW!) are available everywhere - some of the others you have to look for. Also compare the cost of the cartridges -- a friend says that Lexmark? cartridges cost more than comparable HP ones....I don't know if this is true, but I can't imagine she would be complaining about it if it wasn't so.

A good idea when looking at any printer is to make sure you can watch it make a sample copy....we found that some of the really expensive printers took longer to make copies and the colors weren't as true as some of the ones from cheaper printers (we also found that within a brand, like HP, that there was a noticable difference in the way they printed.)

One last thing to look for - the paper tray...is it convenient? Does it stick out and require a lot more actual desk space to run properly? How much paper can you put in at a time (some you can't have but a few sheets in at a time)? Do the buttons on it make sense (i.e. can you easily spot and identify the cancel button, etc.)? We rejected a few models because the trays stuck out or the paper was a pain to reload.

Hope you finally find something that suits your fancy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 03:59 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

We have had our HP Deskjet 722C since 1998. It has been a great printer. I print all kinds of sizes in it. It is now time to replace it though, as of yesterday it started making a horrible grinding sound and is about to quit on us. We more than got our money's worth out of it. I will be watching this thread to see what everyone is recommending. I don't need the all in one kind, we have a scanner and a fax already.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Hi....This is my first reply ever....But, I felt compelled to tell you that I recently purchased the HP 8450. It is a wonderful printer and I have gone through several printers in the past. The Photosmart printer prints out beautiful pictures, text and has a fade factor of 75+ years ( if you use hp cartridges and use hp photo paper). It is also known for its unsurpassed B&W photos. It is well worth it's price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had an HP 712C for a long, long time. It's been great but I know it's not going to last forever. The only problem I've had (and only recently) is when I print on cardstock I usually get some ink smear at the very bottom of the cardstock. This only happens on cardstock - not on regular paper or even photo paper.

I'm considering an Epson printer mostly for the fact that it has individual cartridges for each ink color. Anyone have experience with Epson printers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default HP Printer

Janie,
You mentioned that your HP printer was starting to go bad - that it was leaving a black streak/mark on CS at the bottom....this is exactly what my old one did before the cartridge got stuck in it and leaked. (I'm the person above who ruined a printer by using refilled cartridges). Have you been using re-filled carts?
You may be able to save this printer if you take it to someone to professionally clean out the ink jet dust that is inside before it ruins the components. The marking on the paper is a sign that it's hitting on something dirty.
Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 07:30 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Sounds like you don't want to hear this...for Christmas by BIL bought me a HP Photosmart 8150. I was not really sure that I wanted this. I had never printed my own pictures before and didn't think that I wanted to spend the money. Needless to say, I LOVE IT!!!! The pictures are beautiful! You can not even tell that I print them here at home. The printer works great for regular printing too!! Good luck! I know that they update these things so fast that the HP 8150 is probably already outdated, but it is a good one!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 09:09 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I have a Cannon I9900 which I highly recommend. I can print up to size 13 x 19 so that includes 12 x 12. It has 8 ink cartridges that only run like $7 each so you don't have to replace only the colors that run out. Ive had mine months and print all the time. So far I haven't had to replace any. I absolutely love it for everything. I have printed Bazzill on it and also print out pictures all the time too. So its versatile to use for anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierGirl
I'm considering an Epson printer mostly for the fact that it has individual cartridges for each ink color. Anyone have experience with Epson printers?
We have had 2 or 3 Epson printers in the past. They were okay, but I didn't want to get another one. My parents and sister also had Epsons. Some of the Epsons didn't last very long. I now have an HP and my parents have a Lexmark. The Epson printers were noisier than the HP and it seems like I went thru a lot of ink and was needing to clean the heads more often - which was probably one reason I went thru a lot of ink. I didn't have one with the individual color cartridges, so they may be better. I did look at the Epson when I went to buy the HP and for some reason didn't want it, can't remember why now. I LOVE my HP all-in-one and my parents seem happy with their Lexmark.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Re: HP Printer

I'm thinking I'll stick with HP on my next printer. This one has been great and I really don't have to replace the ink cartridge often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss
You may be able to save this printer if you take it to someone to professionally clean out the ink jet dust that is inside before it ruins the components. The marking on the paper is a sign that it's hitting on something dirty.
Susy
I need the momentary rush of buying a new toy! :lol: The new ones print border-to-border on 6x4 photo paper. That's a good enough reason, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 02:32 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you all so much for your advice! I will take another look at the HP's as well as some of the others mentioned.

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I LOVE my LEXMARK X75!!!! It prints, copies, scans, and faxes. It does great photo printing. Scans and copies come out crisp and clean.

I've never had a problem with paper or cardstock jamming. I can load up to 25 sheets of cardstock or 50 sheets of paper.

It uses a USB cord instead of those heavy, combersome printer cables. Communication from my computer to my printer is always fast.

Visit my gallery: http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=29311
Reply With Quote Likes